Some quality posts you don't want to miss

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Some quality posts you don't want to miss

Postby island_gunner » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:49 pm

Was a rough season with some mind boggling defensive blunders along with some dull lack of creativity games but nothing like a YouTube edit to show we still had moments of brilliance

island_gunner
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Zenith » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:03 pm

Zedie wrote:f**k it. I'll be over here on my own appreciating that emery has had 2 competitive games to undo 22 years of philosophy vs the champions and former champions to start his career.

Am I the only one who isn't surprised that we aren't a cohesive unit? Am I the only one who remembers going 2-0 down in the first 30 mins at Stamford bridge and then literally laying down to get pummelled further for the remaining 60 mins?

f**k sake, guardiola needed 300m and 2 seasons to get to where he is now with city.

Conte got destroyed by us 3-0 months into the start of his tenure then went on to win the league.

Mourinho has spent the same as guardiola to bore the life out of everyone and get nowhere near the title.

I get it's disappointing and there's lots to criticise but, people need to chill out.

Emerys not an actual wizard. Use some restraint, show some patience, let the man work.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby LMAO » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Fantastic post, Zenith :clap:

Even though we currently play similarly under Emery as we did under Wenger (i.e., leaky defense), I noticed a huge f***ing change in mentality only two games in.

If this were the same team as a few seasons ago, that 2-0 Chelsea lead would've ballooned to the 6-0 defeat Wenger experienced in his 1,000th game in charge. Instead, the players did a great job fighting back to level the score, even if they let in that late Alonso goal (and really, we left 2 or 3 goals on the field by missing clear cut chances, so it's not as if we were played off the park). Slowly, but surely, the Enya factor is being taken out of the club, and those not blinded by an agenda can already see it.

Emery had a baptism by fire into the PL his first two games - home versus City and away at Chelsea. It's not like we've lost to relegation fodder.

The bon temps are coming.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Zenith » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:38 pm

Fully agree, but it's Zedie's post, mate.

All credit goes to him. :Peace:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:42 pm

I always get you two muddled up tbh
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:I always get you two muddled up tbh

I get you and Trina mixed up
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:10 pm

UFGN wrote:

I always used to get you and Gunn Gunn mixed up
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:56 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Innit :biggrin:

Cheers lads btw. :grouphug: :arsenal3:
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:43 am

ffs maybe I'm lowkey dyslexic.

My b, Zed.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Pudpop » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:50 am

Tony_Adams wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Back when they were mods I got gunngunn and chvint22 (stlgooner now) mixed up
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:58 am

Re: Zed Man's Post

I'm going all guns blazing. Deal with it. <enter pic of man smoking cigar>

I agree with the gist of Zedie's post. The why no Arsenal win the League already / we iz gonna relegate / Emery out, Arteta in brigade certainly deserve no response. I don't even think the lot is trolling. It's just stupidity.

That said, once Wenger left, most Gooners were instilled with a hope of a new start, a new beginning. Wenger was a problem during his final 3 years here, so when Wenger left, people automatically assumed that things would now be smooth under a new, fresh outlook and management. You have to remember that we hadn't seen a new manager for 22 years. That is unheard of. Emery has the same pressure Moyes faced at ManU. You could say the pressure has been mitigated due to Wenger's incompetence in his final years. But it's there and it was a foregone conclusion that whoever stepped to take the Arsenal job would be compared to Arsene Wenger in his pomp than Arsene Wenger who had lost the plot.

That's human nature. And, I can see where such opinions stem from - even though I might not necessarily agree with them.

On Pep Guardiola, I know it's hip to talk about how much money he's spent at City. Give any manager that much money, I don't think any of them would have become a Centurion. There are now two adjectives to define the Premier League—Invincibles and Centurions. Arsene Wenger and Pep Guardiola - both managers with an embedded philosophy of the game.

The money discussion notwithstanding, as soon as Pep landed in Manchester, he put Joe Hart for sale and shoved Yaya to fringes. Joe Hart didn't fit the way he wanted to play. Yaya was too powerful in City and he didn't think Yaya had it in him anymore.

What Unai Emery has done is started Xhaka against previous two champions of England—knowing very well that Xhaka is arguably the worst CM of all top-6 clubs. We don't have to spend money to start Elneny instead of Xhaka, if Torreira isn't ready. We don't have to spend money to instruct Ramsey to play as a B2B CM instead of a SS/false nine and if he doesn't wish to do so, we could have sold him. But now we will reward him with a £200k a week contract - essentially dooming our chances of signing or paying high end wages to any incoming player next summer.

To put it into perspective, we're about to pay Ramsey more than what KdB earns and as much as what Aguero earns.

To be objective, that's not Emery's fault but he did pledge to get the best out of Ramsey during his meeting with Arsenal chiefs and Ramsey is an integral part of the side for him. Well, for £120-140k sure. But for anything above that?

I've said countless times before that Emery has a free pass from me this season as long as the team he puts out there doesn't feature Xhaka or includes Ramsey in positions he shouldn't be playing. Most Gooners don't expect to win anything this season. It's about getting everything right and working towards building a solid foundation. That's what Pep did. We can also do that without spending the money. Playing Xhaka only suggests that he's part of the plan, when in fact - Xhaka is part of the problem.

The season basically starts against West Ham for us. I'd love it if we could do a Conte and destroy the League from hereon. Speaking of Conte, he always wanted to play three at the back, but he didn't want to enforce his ideas too soon when players were comfortable playing with four at the back. As soon as we smashed them, Conte applied his usual tactics and that's how they won the League.

All this said - and as Brandon stated - we have been seeing changes, no doubt. The first one was a HT sub yesterday. :P Unheard of, eh?

There is also a certain style we're trying to adopt, a certain way. It will all take time.

As fans, we have to be neutral for now in judging Emery. He's new and he has to get rid of Wengerisms. The only question is that his selections have been questionable. But let's see what he does from now on. We have a sweet run now until we face Liverpool.

Emery does have a monkey on his back. His big game record is abysmal. These past two defeats won't help him, and this will remain lingering until he gets that huge win against a top-6 side.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:58 pm

starmandb wrote:
Sims wrote:Tbf that was the real start of our financial limitations, the jan market was already expensive and I dunno who he could’ve added that would’ve fixed the problem

I think that season was more of a mental issue than a personnel one. The Eduardo injury completely destroyed our young squads mindset, find it really hard to blame Arsene for it

I think that would’ve been his greatest achievement had he won the league that season

A mindset the he helped to encourage
We have had a captain go to prison
We were docked 2 points in 90/91 and won the league losing once all season
All with young players
Merson
Thomas
Adams
Campbell
Rocastle
Hillier
Jonsson
We were 4 points clear at the top of the table after that Birmingham game
Wenger walking onto pitch picking up gallas
Telling everyone he didn't know how to lift the players was an absolute disgrace
That's when you use us v the world to your advantage
Instead he showed the world we could be got at
It was a disgrace

:applause:
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:33 am

theHotHead wrote:I don't agree! Anyone reviewing Arsenal games for the past 2-3 seasons, any sane fan I hasten to add, would come across no different to DT. We were fuckin shit! I gave up my season ticket in protest at how the club was being run, I refused to pay £1300 to watch that bollox. Me and my cousin would leave the stadium absolutely fuming half of the time, itching to punch someone. It was not healthy, so I gave up the ST.

Now, imagjne interviewing me immediatley after games!! I would be a cross between DT and Troopz and I would not be that way to get internet views or to promote my Youtube channel, it would be pure, natural anger, fury and wrath.

So I don't agree DT has been playing a role or behaving a certain way just to get views.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:40 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Tbf I don't really care about if we win against the top 4 as long as we're competitive.

Those games are 50/50 at best and with a brand new manager really its less than 50/50 so if we get a result its a bonus, I'd rather win all those other numerous games where we're supposed to win.

Its not that I don't want to see us turn over other big teams its just that table wise there are way more points in continuing to turn over everyone else outside the top 4 than to get hung up on losing to Liverpool and it derailing the teams and fans confidence.

We need to stop being so reactionary and focus on the bigger picture.

Similar to this season so far, losing to City and Chelsea looks like small potatoes compared to what we've achieved since .......... would you swap 10 wins for those two? I wouldn't.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:24 pm

Zedie wrote:King of kings

Better than makelele

Better than desailly

Beckenbauer on suicide watch

Does a better job as a defensive screen than the barrier reef

Literally spotted and snuffed out more danger than the allied forces in WW2

Moves in 5D, opponents can't fathom the additional 2 dimensions his talent occupies

Spiderman didn't stop that train from flying off the tracks, Lucas did.

The Chinese consulted Lucas Torreira during the construction of the great wall

:rofll: :hail:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk