Some quality posts you don't want to miss

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Some quality posts you don't want to miss

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun May 16, 2021 5:53 pm

theHotHead wrote:
firfi wrote:You very well know that we sold those players to build our Stadium.And we couldn't offer them the same money the other clubs did.But can u really say they were better after they left.Winning titles sure ,but where they really better.Apart from Ashley Cole ,but he left for money reasons(Cashley).

Patrick Vieira - £18m, was worth much more, especially when you consider in that same season, we signed Hleb for £13.5m !

Ashley Cole - £6.6m plus Gallas ! That same season, we bought Denilson for £4.5m !

Thierry Henry - £21m !! Was worth much more than that !!!! Consider, we brought in Eduardo the same season for £12.5m !!

Hleb - £15m, that same season we brought in Nasri for a similar amount AND Arshavin for again a similar amount !!

We sold Kolo Toure and Adebayor to Man City for a combined £43m, but we spent £27m that season and the next on 3 CBs alone.

We sold Fabregas for £30m, much less than he was worth, we also sold Nasri and Clichy to Man City for a combined £30m, but we spent £60m that season on Arteta, Oxo, Gervinho, Mertesaker (yet another CB), Santos and the Park (the Korean).

We sold RVP, Song and Vela the next season, for £56m, but we spent £50m the same season on Giroud, Monreal, Cazorla and Podolski.

After that season we bought Ozil, the rest is history, we have been splashing the cash. Your narrative that Wenger had to sell our best players to build our stadium is nonsense. If that was the case he would've sold our best players for top whack and maximised our returns, but he didn't, we sold most of them for stupidly low money. The second reason why what you wrote is nonsense is, Wenger didn't have a choice ! Vieira wanted to leave to win the CL, Henry wanted to leave for the same reason, Fabregas wanted to leave, Nasri wanted to leave. Half the time we sold our best players we spent the same on replacements, so how can it be that we sold players to build the stadium ?!!!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:57 am

I didnt even realise this before Angelito made this post.
This is incredibly depressing and completely unacceptable

Angelito wrote:Not to forget that we offered Xhaka a new contract.

This summer reeks of 16/17. I don't know why. It doesn't look the same. It feels the same.

Btw:

Leno
Chambers - Luiz - Gabriel - Tierney
Thomas - Xhaka
Pepe/Saka - Ødegaard - Smith Rowe
Auba/Laca

£130m later:

Leno
Chambers - White - Gabriel - Tierney
Thomas - Xhaka
Pepe/Saka - Ødegaard - Smith Rowe
Auba/Laca

:rolleyes:
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:25 pm

Reiss wrote:I can kind of see the process now which I couldn't last season.

Things that I have been impressed with:

- clear out of deadwood: it's clear Mikel knew that we needed to move away from the same old players that have let us down over the years. There's still more players that need shifting and I think we'll see them go over the course of Jan and summer which is a positive.
- defensive stability: I was sick of our comedy defending under Wenger and Emery. Arteta came in and instantly improved our defence. Then we spent big in the summer on our defence and tbh I questioned why we spent so much on the defence but it's clear they wanted to create a solid foundation and it's really helped build confidence throughout the team.
- Eye for new players: they're going for young, promising talent and I think that's the right strategy. Players like Tomi, Ramsdale etc have a lot of potential plus they're young and hungry.

Things that we need to improve:

a) our attack: we're scoring more goals now but we still need 1-2 link up players. A couple of Cazorla's will really help develop free flowing football and help us keep the ball for longer periods.
b) central midfield: we simply don't dominate the central areas enough. Imagine a Tielemans or Bissouma next to Partey... it would make such a big difference. Lokonga is doing well but he's still very raw and I've never been convinced with Xhaka.
c) reinvent our striking options: as mentioned in another thread Auba is 32, Laca is 30 and Eddie is average. All of their contracts expire in the next 18 months so we need to bring in some strikers. It's been the same old faces in attack for a few years now anyway so we need to freshen things up.

I hope they build on our good form in Jan because if we get the right signing(s) we can really push on for top 4 :pray:

Spot on
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:59 am

starmandb wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:OK - new manager, new league, getting to grips with the new team. The comment still stands.

FFS all the excuses in the world for OTHER teams.
:rolleyes:

Exactly
Liverpool drew at home with Brighton
Some were outraged we only got a point away
Chelsea drew at home to Burnley
We won at their ground but that was to be expected
We drew at home with Crystal Palace
Man City lost at home to them
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:16 am

LMAO wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
LMAO wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:"Me and you in a room, I'm unvaccinated, you've had the vaccine ......... what's your fkin problem?" idk if it's a general literacy problem or what, but I've said numerous times now that I don't care if you get vaccinated or not.

I mean ffs, HH has had a meltdown (username checks out) when if he would've just read a few posts down from what he quoted you on, I said viewtopic.php?p=1991978#p1991978 I've been consistent on protecting the vulnerable and now that pills are starting to come online as an additional option to protect them, it's quite weird that you people are still so hung up on vaccine mandates with me when I've moved on.

BS, you openly support initiatives from the Gov forcing people to get the vaccine, we literally just had the discussion on Biden saying "No jab. no job" and you were in full support of it.

You don't get to state your support for cohersion vaccine mandates then claim your sitting on the fence at the same time and that you don't care if people have it or not.

Too bad I do. The situation has changed, and I've adjusted accordingly.

I support seatbelt laws. Doesn't mean I care if you personally choose not to wear one when I'm not in the vehicle with you. Whether you end up through the windshield in a crash or ticketed for not buckling up isn't any concern to me.

If gravity seats become available, then I won't see the need to support seatbelt laws.

It's not that difficult.

The 'seatbelt' argument is a nonsense one.
Personally I don't think the govt has any business telling anyone they have to wear a seatbelt, but that aside, vaccine by law or coercion is nothing at all like a law to wear a seatbelt. Equating seatbelts to forced injections is asinine on so many levels.
Firstly, being excluded from society if you don't have a jab means a whole lot more than not being able to drive, or getting fined.
Secondly, there is little to no risk involved in people who have chosen to not have the vaccine being out and about - some will have already had the virus and will be MORE protected than those who have simply had a vaccine plus if those so concerned with the unvaccinated have already been jabbed, what's the problem?
..and where does this stop? Why not make everything that is a danger illegal?

Ah, the slippery slope bs. There is no absolute freedom unless you want to be a commie and live in an anarchist commune. Freedom of one person ends when it interferes with the freedom of another person.

Anyway, here in the vast majority of the US, not being able to drive is effectively the same as being heavily excluded from society since our public transportation networks are shit or simply nonexistent outside of a few cities and our transportation infrastructure is heavily automobile-focused. Have fun living in the suburbs or in the country without a license (or having lost it) or a vehicle to get back and forth to work or social activities. Have fun reliably getting an Uber or carpooling with a coworker/friend picking you up at your house in suburbia or in the sticks. And as for tickets (speaking of the freedom thing because I figure you'll have something to say about seatbelts not affecting other people), most insurance companies will raise your premium for a seatbelt ticket (because no seatbelt means higher chance of injury in a crash) which may increase the rates for all other drivers in your sex and age demographics who have to shell out more because of dummies who can't follow basic rules.

A recent CDC study showed COVID vaccination offers 5.5x the protection for reinfection compared to natural immunity, so you can stop with the fake news that natural immunity offers greater protection.

I believe public health is more important than individual liberty. For a society to function, we have to make sacrifices and uphold our ends of the social contract. There's a reason humans have been socially shunning people over diseases for all of history. You don't have to get mandated vaccines, but you also don't have to be a part of society. As I've said, there are already plenty of vaccine mandates here in America to even be able to enroll in and attend school that isn't homeschooling; children have to have at least 14 shots by their 11th birthday. This is just one more. And like I said, now with the pills, vaccine mandates can be done away with since there's an additional layer of protection for public health.

This is the last post I make because I'm bored of relitigating this ad nauseam when we clearly have different value systems.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:23 pm

Reiss wrote:It was never going to be an easy task to rebuild this club. We have chronic, deep rooted issues that go back over a decade.

We needed a ruthless manager willing to make tough decisions. Someone willing to come in and upset the status quo, gutting the squad in the process.

He's done exactly that.

He got rid of Ozil, shipped out dead wood like Mustafi and Sokratis, finally got rid of Bellerin after it was obvious that his time was done here, dropped our captain plus much more. These are decisions that are in the best interests of Arsenal football club.

We now have a young core that bleed Arsenal through and through. I am so connected with the club again and it's not something I've felt since the invincibles days.

Is there a lot more work to be done? Absolutely. Arteta may or may not be the man to take us to the top, but he has built a good foundation and for the first time in years I am hopeful.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Rebuilding

Postby ag6789 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:26 pm

Yes, that's what Lee Dixon has hinted to in the DM.
Arteta seems to be on the right path, but expect pit falls and hiccups.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:30 pm

Last edited by jayramfootball on Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:57 pm

Last edited by Arsenal Tone on Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:07 pm

I agree. This is a football/Arsenal forum and shouldn't delve into other controversial/political topics.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:07 am

Jedi wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:
Jedi wrote:
Salibatelli wrote:-100% there’s no hope for him, had one decent run but everything around that has been poor, now on a run of 3 defeats in 5 games and 0 goals in 4 games.

I don’t really like how he cuts out loads of players as well
and then wants to go and spend huge fortunes on players, we have enough quality to do better than we are, I really think he’s had an unbelievably easy ride with earning the right to everything he’s been handed.

No we don't.

City, Chelsea, Liverpool, United all comfortably better squads. Stop being delusional.

We’ve had plenty of chances to pull away, in 4th places all our rivals have stuttered, plus they all have cup and European games.

The amount of games we’ve had to play we didn’t need a huge squad, problem is Arteta has cut out certain players, Aubameyang, Pepe, Saliba, even Guendouzi we could have used, on top of that we’ve loaned out Balogun and AMN two players we could have used this month.

Would rather see Balogun than Nketiah. We knew about the AFCON as well, no excuses for poor planning.

He’s made his choices and it’s come back to bite him, he seems to clash with too many players.

What choice has come back to bite him? All of those players you've mentioned are shit and not first team material.

Plus half of them are still here but simply don't deserve to play. Are you gonna bench Saka and Martinelli to play useless Aubameyang and Pepe? The only reason we found some form was that he kicked Auba out the team. Do you want to see us relegated?

Balogun and AMN have also shown nothing to suggest they deserve to play more.

I see what it is now. You're a bench worshipper. Whenever you see a player not getting minutes you start fantasizing that they're good.

Same story happened with people wanting Lokonga over Xhaka and now we're seeing him get exposed but don't worry, the moment Xhaka gets back into the first 11, people will start bench worshipping Lokonga again.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:01 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
ag6789 wrote:Why should we get rid of Arteta when clearly things have improved? 4th and looking up, young energetic squad seem happy and hungry?
Also, Edu has done pretty good w/the latest recruitment, w/all new comers slotting in nicely.
Initial hiccups w/ stop gap solutions like Willian has taught them a lesson which they have corrected quickly, so credit to Edu &Co.
A proper team building will always include some trial and error. The key is to quickly learn from mistakes and move on. Which the current management seems to be doing at present.

We have had 1 competition to play for all season. Yet we couldn't even make a dent in the FA Cup.

Of course the players are happy. We have no injuries and no selection dilemma (minus Pepe) because we let half the team walk for nothing.

It will be an entirely different kettle of fish next season:

1) Midweek European games greatly increases the possibility of injuries

2) We will need to buy many more players to fill out the squad

3) We are in a deep hole financially. £100m loss as of June 2021. That number will be exceeded as of June 2022 (even if those numbers aren't made public until 2023). That will impact who we can sign in the summer.

4) We know where Arteta has finished when he's had to deal with a European campaign.
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:55 am

jayramfootball wrote:Give Elneny a new contract and sign this guy too.
With Mohammed and Jesus in the same team we’ll be unstoppable.
[/quote]
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Zenith » Tue May 24, 2022 11:30 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:57 am

Power n Glory wrote:Most versatile players say something about their preffered position. AMN has said anything out of the ordinary.

AMN

However, he says he’s happy to play wherever Arteta asks him to, telling the Mail, “I didn’t mean I don’t want to play there because I would be happy to fill in and slot in and do the job anytime, anyplace.

“Obviously I do prefer playing central midfield but that is not to say I don’t want to play right-back or that I’m not going to do the job there if the manager asks me to.

“If the manager says to me ‘Ains you gotta go in goal this game I will put the gloves on and I am ready to rock n roll’.”

ESR

Having lost his place in the middle on the three-pronged attacking midfield, Smith Rowe also admitted that the role was his preferred position.

“I see myself as a No 10, on the inside,” he added. “But at the same time, because of the way we play at Arsenal, if I am on the wing then the manager is telling me to drift inside and be natural like a No 10 anyway.

“I’m happy to play anywhere, you know? I'm an Arsenal fan. I'll play wherever I'm needed and it's good to be versatile.

“It's a habit for me to come inside if I'm on the left wing.

Saka when played a LB

“I’m really enjoying my football under the new manager,” he said. “It’s not my natural position but he’s given me all the advice I need.

“I’ve got Granit (Xhaka) behind, David (Luiz) supporting and speaking to me so it gives me licence to go and express myself in the final third and do what I can do.

“I feel like my dream was always to be a winger, to affect games, score goals and get assists. For now I’ll do the job the manager asks me to.”

Martinelli

“I prefer to play on the sides, the left side specifically,” he said. “But I also like to get a lot in the box with a chance to finish, so if the ball is left I’ll be in a good condition to score.

“I can also play on the right side, but my favourite position is on the left wing, infiltrating and being as close to the goal as possible.”

Chambers

But the Gunners star is conscious that, although his versatility is a bonus with regards to getting minutes on the pitch, it is nothing like nailing down his own ideal position.

“I don’t want to be known as a utility player who just slots in here, there and everywhere as I want my own secured position,” he added.

“Long-term, I think I’ll end up as a central defender. It’s my favourite position.”

Auba

“I play everywhere, I don’t mind really, I really don’t mind,” Aubameyang told Arsenal’s matchday programme.

“Everyone knows where I prefer to play but this doesn’t matter because I prefer to have many options than just one.

Even though he is happy to feature on the wing, Aubameyang admits he has a lot to learn in the position.

Detailing what is different between the two positions he has played in this season, he said: “[You learn because] your movements are different if you play, for example, on the left. You have to play sometimes more in the pocket to try to connect with the midfield players.

“I want to help and I want to learn as well. Because you learn every day even if you are young or maybe older, but I’m still learning and I feel good everywhere.”

And it’s maybe different with the striker position, as a No 9. It’s completely different, sometimes you have to be wide, but when you are a striker you are more central and it’s really different.

“But I’ve learnt a lot of things since I’ve been playing on the left side. It gives me opportunities because a lot of defences are attracted by the No 9.

Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk