Some quality posts you don't want to miss

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Some quality posts you don't want to miss

Postby Angelito » Sun May 05, 2019 5:31 pm

gooney wrote:So its all the players while the manager sets up a team that cant beat brighton one of the worst away teams and 17th in the league at home in a season defining game. The excuses you guys make for him is pathetic. If moyes got hired here when he was hired by man u he woukd still be here
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Sun May 05, 2019 5:34 pm

Utd were wrong to sack Moyes when they did.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Angelito » Sun May 05, 2019 5:48 pm

UFGN wrote:Utd were wrong to sack Moyes when they did.

They were wrong to appoint him, as we were wrong to appoint Emery.

Unai has managed PSG before and he fell out with all big boys, whilst suffering the most catastrophic result against Barca. He also lost a one-horse race. He also went an entire season without an away win in La Liga.

All we had to do was beat Brighton and Palace for top-4. We ended up dropping points in 5 out of our last 6 games—losing 4 in the process.

I will support him until the end because I want us to win a European Trophy desperately. That said, Unai isn't a manager for a top club like Arsenal and I won't pay much heed to those Unai sympathizers who have been undermining the club's stature and berating it's players - just to big up Unai Emery.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Sun May 05, 2019 5:54 pm

Angelito wrote:

Unai has managed PSG before and he fell out with all big boys, whilst suffering the most catastrophic result against Barca. He also lost a one-horse race. He also went an entire season without an away win in La Liga.

All we had to do was beat Brighton and Palace for top-5. We ended up dropping points in 5 out of our last 6 games—losing 5 in the process.

I will support him until the end because I want us to win a European Trophy desperately. That said, Unai isn't a manager for a top club like Arsenal and I won't pay much heed to those Unai sympathizers who have been undermining the club's stature and berating it's players - just to big up Unai Emery.

You don't do yourself any favours mate

Believe me, you're talking to someone who dishes out rhetoric like pie.

But to be in Superhyperbole mode after a new manager had an underwhelming first season, which included a better league finish than last year and probably a European final at worst, is just ridiculous
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Angelito » Sun May 05, 2019 6:04 pm

UFGN wrote:
Angelito wrote:

All we had to do was beat Brighton and Palace for top-5. We ended up dropping points in 5 out of our last 6 games—losing 5 in the process.

You don't do yourself any favours mate

Believe me, you're talking to someone who dishes out rhetoric like pie.

But to be in Superhyperbole mode after a new manager had an underwhelming first season, which included a better league finish than last year and probably a European final at worst, is just ridiculous

That's not what I'm talking about.

You must always look at the symptoms. We shouldn't sack him in the summer, especially if we make it to a European Final. But we should also not pretend like he's Arsene Wenger. Unai Emery doesn't have the best track record for a club with title aspirations or for a club who wants to compete at the highest level.

That's where I have a problem. That's where we shouldn't compromise.

Top-4 is gone. We just had to beat Palace, Wolves, Leicester, and Brighton to finish 3rd. We lost to three of 'em, whilst giving Brighton their 2nd point at Arsenal in their history. This isn't something we should take lightly.

The issue isn't about a capable, visionary manager underperforming in his first season. It's a manager who has underperformed for most of his career who bottled top-4 at Arsenal despite having the easiest run-in of all clubs in the top-4. He doesn't have a reputation of a bottler for no reason.

I'm saying all of this because we seem to have lost track of what we expect at Arsenal. That's why I quoted you. First season blues is another thing. Win the EL and it'd be an incredible season. I'd love it. But the cracks are there.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Sun May 05, 2019 6:14 pm

Im going to reiterate something I've said before

Transition equals frustrating results

Of course those results happen for a reason, thryre not going to happen for no reason are they?

Some of the reasons are Emery's fault. He needs to fix up. However we need to see if he's capable of doing that before throwing him to the wolves

For what its worth I think next season will be a very positive one

UFGN

Postby Dejan » Sun May 05, 2019 6:16 pm

Angelito wrote:
Unai has managed PSG before and he fell out with all big boys

I hate it when people make that argument. It has nothing to do with emery. Not a single manager around can man-manage those paris c****. They got the biggest egos around

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun May 05, 2019 6:23 pm

UFGN wrote:Im going to reiterate something I've said before

Transition equals frustrating results

Of course those results happen for a reason, thryre not going to happen for no reason are they?

Some of the reasons are Emery's fault. He needs to fix up. However we need to see if he's capable of doing that before throwing him to the wolves

For what its worth I think next season will be a very positive one

Of course, it does. It always does.

But if you can't question someone for dropping points in 5 of the last 6 games and failing to finish in the top-4 despite having the easiest of runs, then what can you do? There is a difference between what you said, which is very applicable, and applying it to the wrong personnel. Precedence matters as much as patience.

It all hinges on the Europa League as I've been saying for a long time now. Let's win it.

Dejan wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Unai has managed PSG before and he fell out with all big boys

I hate it when people make that argument. It has nothing to do with emery. Not a single manager around can man-manage those paris c***. They got the biggest egos around

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Neymar's the third best player in the world. Nobody had any problem with him at Barca. Nobody has any problem with him in Brazil. Mbappe just won the World Cup with France. Cavani is a team-player with Uruguay.

It's easy to bury your head in the sand.

I do agree, in principle, that PSG seems to be a troubled club. But that's because perspectives..

Blind reverence and blind hatred—both, do not yield.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Sun May 05, 2019 6:30 pm

PSG is full of players who are literally only there for the money. Theres zero footballing challenge there, and zero respect from anyone for achieving anything there

So hence the problem with egos.... they only attract c****

UFGN

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed May 29, 2019 9:07 pm

Rockape wrote:No one quibbled with the line up....it was the best we could put out, but sadly too many average players that needed to play above their usual level. They didn’t and Emery can’t be held responsible for that.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:20 am

starmandb wrote:
Angelito wrote:
starmandb wrote:
swipe right wrote:So here’s my question. Had you known the new manager would finish fifth and embarrassingly blow out of the EL, would you still have pushed to terminate Wengers contract, or would you have let it expire this summer and not renewed?

I would have sacked Wenger in October 2011

Wenger wasn't a problem until 2013—conincidentally, we ended our drought that season. We could have won the title in 13/14 if we had also bought Higuain that summer.

In 2011, Arsenal couldn't keep hold of Cesc and Nasri. No manager could have done anything under such circumstances. Yet, Wenger was still finishing in the top-4, whilst spending pittance until 2013.

For Wenger's sake, he should have left at the end of 13/14. For our sakes, we should have asked Wenger to step down once Klopp was available. And, Wenger should have absolutely never received any contract offer at the end of 16/17. That record FA Cup was a fitting way to step down but Gazidis and Kronke messed up as usual.

And they messed up again a season later..

Wenger was a problem the day at Birmingham when he walked on the pitch to pick up Gallas
Then said he didn't know how to lift a team that were top of the table
This followed a January window when he didn't strengthen
A manager who said the season starts here at the end of August in 2011 and went to market having dropped 8 points
Other football managers existed when we lost 3-1 at home Monaco after getting the game back to a manageable 2-1
Another chronic piece of in game management seen so many times
Wengers sake was taken into account between that title implosion and the appalling end to 10/11 season
It should have been quite clear that he was no longer the right man for the job by October 2011 where his gamble in not entering properly into the market before the season had started had failed
Never expected Wenger to walk
He thought he was still the right man for the job
The fact that he wasn't was on the board for not sacking him
Top 4 is not the panacea
Being the best you can be is
That was not the case
Just taking part should never be good enough for Arsenal
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:25 am

PairyGrows wrote:While I don't doubt Martinelli's talent for a second, I'm also realistic about the fact that he's not going to make an impact in the first team in a long time. Martinelli will need anywhere three to five years to become a first team player.

It's a promisint signing, but it does not and should not count towards the signings we must make this summer.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:37 am

Zedie wrote:We rotate the positions we neglect every 2-3 years.

Right now no CBs and no LB (that is fit enough to play back to back games)

Before this, no DM. We currently have one actual DM.

Before that giroud as the only fit striker following RvPs departure for years.

Before that, no credible goalkeeper until Cech.

We rotate the squad neglect.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:35 pm

Callum wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:I'm in 100% agreement ... believe it or not I was on the fence back in '16 ... the EU provides a huge number of benefits, the question for me was is that a price worth paying ... since the vote, and I firmly believe that a referendum result should be followed even if half the people voting are idiots, my view has swung strongly towards Leave. Two main reasons, the decline of the EU across pretty much all measurable data, and the clear view demonstrated by the EU that the UK is an annoying irritation not a partner, that's partly our fault as the UK have never fully bought in, we didn't even take on the Euro, and because of that the EU have never really accepted us just taken our contribution. That's my view right or wrong and I'll stand by it until it's proven incorrect.

Can I ask why you believe the "price is worth paying"? I struggle to see what we're going to gain out of all this. All a UK citizen, all I see is the loss of my rights as an EU citizen, a massively weakened economy and a politically weaker Britain as a result. I can't see how we become stronger by isolating ourselves from our European neighbours, both economically and politically. I wish I saw some of these proposed benefits of Brexit but I've yet to see anything remotely convincing. We're losing so much and gaining so little, as far as I can see. We're an EU member and have all of the privileges that come with that, and also have the benefit of not needing to join the Euro or be part of Schengen.

My issues with the Remainers are multiple, absolutely no problem with raising all the perceived problems which Leaving the UK might engender, however a constant 'project fear' diatribe of doom and gloom, starving millions, no trade, collapsed economy ... get over it ... even the worst case scenarios are no worse than in previous recessions, we will survive. Add to that the need to call anyone who supports Brexit a 'moron' 'fool' 'blind' 'stupid' and then all the expletives you care to name ... just what is that achieving?

I find this idea to "get over it" just, well, odd. Given what's at stake, and given the numerous prediction from analysts across the board that Brexit will be harmful to the Britain in a variety of ways, why is criticism of this decision automatically written off as "Project Fear"? I'm not accusing you of this, but it seems to me this rhetoric is part of the post-truth world where we live in, where the opinions of multiple experts are dismissed in favour of the opinions of some bloke down the pub. I can't watch Question Time for this reason anymore. I see people say "just get on with it and get out" when they obviously have no care or consideration for the immense amount of time and political effort required for this to happen.

With regards to the name-calling, I agree to some extent - there's been vitriol from both sides and the whole issue has divided the country in a nasty way. My own take is that that Brexit was in part fuelled by racism and xenophobia, but that's not to say every person who voted for it did so for those reasons. It should never have gone to a public vote, it wasn't clear what we were voting. Some people who voted Brexit did so believing we'd end up like Norway, and others wanted the hardest Brexit possible. Those two scenarios are vastly different.

I'm no Corbyn fan but I can admire the way he's stuck by his principles no need to call him names, same goes for May no fan at all but she tried her best, Boris well let's wait and see not just c*** him off at every opportunity ... there are some, many in fact, not fit for purpose Farage, Abbot, Hammond and a whole heap more shouldn't be even close to running this country, but they still don't warrant endless abuse (well maybe a bit)

I feel the same about Corbyn, but genuinely cannot stand Johnson. The man has a chequered history and seems utterly devoid of principles. He was pro-EU for years then changed when it became politically convenient for him to do so. You can make the argument that all politicians to do this I just don't buy it, personally.

The biggest gripe, as expressed today is this endless negativity, it's blindingly obvious that Boris has hit the ground running like him or hate him he's shaking up what had become the biggest clusterfuck in recent history ... we will now either Leave or get a GE where if Remain are indeed in the majority they will take power ... either way finally Brexit will be finished ... how is that not a good thing?

For me, it's the fact we have a full Brexiteer government in charge now, and any attempts at reconciliation and unity are nothing more than token gestures. I can't just sit back and say "at least it'll be over soon" because, in my opinion, Brexit is going to be devastating for this country, and I can't relax about it. I don't want it to happen and feel the people should get their say on it again now that we know more about what Brexit will actually be like, not the incredibly vague idea everyone had in 2016.

If you want to Leave then get behind Boris (that sticks in the throat but there it is) is you want to Remain find a party and support them ... To just carry on complaining about the side you don't like? that's US level bollocks and it's insidious ... we should try to be better

You can't expect people to sit back and just accept this stuff if they don't agree with it. There always needs to be an opposition, and to hold the government accountable. The reason why we're in this position is because UKIP and the right-wing of the Tory government pressured Cameron into gambling and holding the referendum in the first place so that they could get what they wanted. Are people on the other side now expected to shut up and stop complaining?

:hail:
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Yago » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:42 pm