Do you think we have let out some gems last few years

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Do you think we have let out some gems last few years

Postby theHotHead » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:46 am

alexafc12 wrote:
Callum wrote:sell young player = "why are we letting him go, he's going to be great ffs"

don't sell young player = "why are we keeping him, he's not good enough ffs

We've made a few clangers but at least we're not Chelsea.

I'm not sure we have, the only one I can think of really is Gnabry, we shouldn't have sold him. The rest of them, nobody stands out to me as a mistake.

If you are talking about Kane, he obviously didn't cut it when he was 8 years old, the article even says Spurs themselves rejected him too .. then took him back later.

From the names listed I don't see any that I regret selling/releasing .......
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:59 am

EliteKiller wrote:We have lost a few players and the reason is very simple. We had a very unique policy on player salaries, even our very ordinary squad players were on massive basic salaries this created an over-inflated payroll budget which prevented us offering decent contracts to young players ...

Forget what you think of the player or who they play for but consider - Dele was started on 5k a week, TAA was on 11k a week, Greenwood was on 10k a week ... by comparison we had Wilshere on 90k, Ramsey on 80k, Campbell on 40k and that was back in 2014 ...

When we offered Gnarby an increase to just 15k in 2016 it's hardly surprising he left, he must have been insulted when he knew that some of the dross around him was on five times that money,

Our crazy contract madness at the end of the Gazidis/Wenger era left us with a massive budget for very few decent players, we had no room to keep our kids. Even now four years later the problem of overpaid average players still haunts us, it was a very costly strategic error.

EK, thats not strictly right though, because by 2014 Wilshere had been in the first team for 6 years, not the same as those from other clubs you have listed who were in their breakthrough seasons. Exactly the same for Aaron Ramsey who was in the first team in 2008. Joel Campbell in 2012 was on £10k per week - even though he didn't play for us until 2014.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:17 pm

theHotHead wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:
Callum wrote:sell young player = "why are we letting him go, he's going to be great ffs"

don't sell young player = "why are we keeping him, he's not good enough ffs

We've made a few clangers but at least we're not Chelsea.

I'm not sure we have, the only one I can think of really is Gnabry, we shouldn't have sold him. The rest of them, nobody stands out to me as a mistake.

If you are talking about Kane, he obviously didn't cut it when he was 8 years old, the article even says Spurs themselves rejected him too .. then took him back later.

From the names listed I don't see any that I regret selling/releasing .......

The thing with Gnabry was he was given chances and was playing games, and then he got that horrible injury. The worst thing we did was send him on loan to a Tony Pulis side.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:21 pm

Yeah we were definitely too quick to loan him out, there was no reason to, prior to his lay off he was actually a very good option on our right side. When he first got in he was too cautious, he didn't try to beat players and took the safe option. But the upside of that was, he rarely lost the ball and he helped defensively. Then he began to grow in stature, he began taking players on and getting crosses in. I was shocked when I saw him loaned out.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:57 pm

Gnabry is probably our biggest loss. It was quite pathetic how we handled the whole affair.

With Szczesny, there were disciplinary issues later on. With Gnabry, there were none. All people kept talking about was how fat/chubby he was.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby themessiah » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:47 pm

Angelito wrote:Gnabry is probably our biggest loss. It was quite pathetic how we handled the whole affair.

With Szczesny, there were disciplinary issues later on. With Gnabry, there were none. All people kept talking about was how fat/chubby he was.

He had a knee injury that kept him out for a year, then went on loan and wasn't used because he wasn't fit/ overweight according to Pulis plus attitude issues. At the time most us fans wanted us to buy Mahrez and not persist with Gnabry, anything else is revisionist.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:27 pm

themessiah wrote:
Angelito wrote:Gnabry is probably our biggest loss. It was quite pathetic how we handled the whole affair.

He had a knee injury that kept him out for a year, then went on loan and wasn't used because he wasn't fit/ overweight according to Pulis plus attitude issues. At the time most us fans wanted us to buy Mahrez and not persist with Gnabry, anything else is revisionist.

Can't speak for others, but I definitely didn't want him sold and thought he was better than someone like Chamberlain.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Callum » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:07 pm

Angelito wrote:
themessiah wrote:

Can't speak for others, but I definitely didn't want him sold and thought he was better than someone like Chamberlain.

In the end he wouldn't sign a new contract, so what choice did we have? We managed his loan poorly but that can happen. If I remember correctly we wanted to keep him but opted to sell as he wasn't going to sign on.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:46 pm

Gnabry was shit for us. Went on loan and was even worse. Getting rid of him wasn't the wrong thing. Fair play to the lad. He's turned it around spectacularly but no way he is that good if he stays. He's another iwobi or an ox.

Him coming good doesn't change the fact he was dog for us. Blame Wenger for a lot of shit. This isn't one.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Callum » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:57 pm

I think there also needs to be a realization that sometimes just because a player became great elsewhere, it doesn't mean they'd have been great with us. I'm not saying Gnabry could never have been amazing here but clearly he benefitted from playing regular football at a mid-tier Bundesliga club before moving to Bayern.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:37 am

Nuggets wrote:Francis Jeffers :hiding: :arse fan:

JET :sneaky2:
And that dude who was supposed to be the next Wilshere, but I've completely forgotten his name.

Might be the American in me speaking, but I think Zelalem could've made it here if he'd've been able to drink some milk and bulk up.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:05 am

Callum wrote:I think there also needs to be a realization that sometimes just because a player became great elsewhere, it doesn't mean they'd have been great with us. I'm not saying Gnabry could never have been amazing here but clearly he benefitted from playing regular football at a mid-tier Bundesliga club before moving to Bayern.
Isn't that the point of loans?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:27 pm

Angelito wrote:
themessiah wrote:

Me neither, I definitely didn't want him sold.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby KG3 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:18 pm

LMAO wrote:
Nuggets wrote:Francis Jeffers :hiding: :arse fan:

JET :sneaky2:
And that dude who was supposed to be the next Wilshere, but I've completely forgotten his name.

Might be the American in me speaking, but I think Zelalem could've made it here if he'd've been able to drink some milk and bulk up.

I know you’re being sarcastic but zelalem is only 23 still time for him to make it big
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby KG3 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:19 pm

Angelito wrote:
themessiah wrote:

Gnabry was more talented and is the better player now but as for their time at Arsenal Chamberlain had a better impact for us imo
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk