Lucas Pérez

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Lucas Perez

Postby Angelito » Thu May 24, 2018 2:00 pm

Pudpop wrote:
Sims wrote:Lucas might have been the last statdna purchase tbf
I just think Lucas was a complete board purchase that Wenger never accepted.

My new theory is that after the 2015 shambles the boars started going over Wenger's head to make signings. Explains why Lucas never got a chance and why Mustafi wanted to leave and why we've finally let Walcott, Giroud and Coquelin go.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

StatDNA was Gazidis' idea and Wenger wasn't a fan accto the Guardian.

Xhaka, Mustafi, Gabriel, and Lucas were all bought based on StatDNA's analytics.

16/17 was when Gazidis started consolidating his authority at Arsenal, whilst getting actively involved in transfers. It was a disastrous window for us, in hindsight. We bought Xhaka and Mustafi for a cumulative £70m. But the power tussle had begun and once Wenger fell out of the top-4, well Gazidis now had all the aces. Last two seasons have been chaotic partly because of Wenger and Gazidis' feud.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsene Nose » Fri May 25, 2018 1:38 pm

Angelito wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

My new theory is that after the 2015 shambles the boars started going over Wenger's head to make signings. Explains why Lucas never got a chance and why Mustafi wanted to leave and why we've finally let Walcott, Giroud and Coquelin go.

Xhaka, Mustafi, Gabriel, and Lucas were all bought based on StatDNA's analytics.

16/17 was when Gazidis started consolidating his authority at Arsenal, whilst getting actively involved in transfers. It was a disastrous window for us, in hindsight. We bought Xhaka and Mustafi for a cumulative £70m. But the power tussle had begun and once Wenger fell out of the top-4, well Gazidis now had all the aces. Last two seasons have been chaotic partly because of Wenger and Gazidis' feud.

Fck me that’s a depressing read. So we’re now being run by some bloody statistician?
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gooney » Fri May 25, 2018 1:55 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

Fck me that’s a depressing read. So we’re now being run by some bloody statistician?

get used to it....they have been trying to get out wenger from the transfer decisions for long time and couldnt because he had too much history at the club. Guys like gazidis, raul and sven have been itching to run club for long time. Now they have a club
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Sims » Fri May 25, 2018 2:07 pm

Luckily I don’t think statdna plays as big of a part as it did before
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Marsbar100 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:02 pm

Very bizzare to buy players solely on STatdna, i guess the recruitment structure in place was so poor someone had to do something, bare in mind we didn't even sign a outfield player one season
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Angelito » Fri May 25, 2018 4:55 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Very bizzare to buy players solely on STatdna, i guess the recruitment structure in place was so poor someone had to do something, bare in mind we didn't even sign a outfield player one season

That was Wenger's decision as far as I know.

Wenger was coming off the back of consecutive FA Cup wins. There was a feeling that 15/16 could be the year we mount a legit title challenge. Wenger, apparently, was confident that the squad he had was capable of doing it.

But as we know, everything fizzled out and Wenger started losing his full authority at Arsenal, which is why we bought many players in 16/17 using StatDNA analytics - with Gazidis directly involved in all of them. Leicester winning the title and Arsenal not even challenging was the beginning of the end for Wenger at Arsenal, in hindsight.

As Sims said, we won't be as reliant on StatDNA anymore as we have Sven now.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri May 25, 2018 5:18 pm

Angelito wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:Very bizzare to buy players solely on STatdna, i guess the recruitment structure in place was so poor someone had to do something, bare in mind we didn't even sign a outfield player one season

Wenger was coming off the back of consecutive FA Cup wins. There was a feeling that 15/16 could be the year we mount a legit title challenge. Wenger, apparently, was confident that the squad he had was capable of doing it.

But as we know, everything fizzled out and Wenger started losing his full authority at Arsenal, which is why we bought many players in 16/17 using StatDNA analytics - with Gazidis directly involved in all of them. Leicester winning the title and Arsenal not even challenging was the beginning of the end for Wenger at Arsenal, in hindsight.

I don't think that was it. We spent a fortune in 2014/15 season by our standards, bringing in 2 forwards, 3 defenders, a GK and brought back a couple of loan players. I think the board just decided to take a foot off the gas the following summer.

Same goes for this summer. After the spending spree in 2017/18, Emery will likely be told to make do with the players he has, with the exception of CB, where he might be allowed to buy one in light of Kosc's long term injury.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Fri May 25, 2018 5:21 pm

aniym wrote:
Angelito wrote:

I don't think that was it. We spent a fortune in 2014/15 season by our standards, bringing in 2 forwards, 3 defenders, a GK and brought back a couple of loan players. I think the board just decided to take a foot off the gas the following summer.

Same goes for this summer. After the spending spree in 2017/18, Emery will likely be told to make do with the players he has, with the exception of CB, where he might be allowed to buy one in light of Kosc's long term injury.

Oh yes, the £50m rule. :P
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fenice » Fri May 25, 2018 5:21 pm

Angelito wrote:

This is actually a very good and concise assessment. Wish it had happened sooner.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Sims » Fri May 25, 2018 5:26 pm

As far as I know statdna is a very strong tool to identify players who might fill a certain role or need. Really from that scouts should be sent out to give the eye test

Unfortunately I don’t think it was the case with Gabriel, but I think with Xhaka we had scouts for pretty much half of Mönchengladbach’s games. Just about getting his clear talent out of him, Emery was already a big fan
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby indy23 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:38 pm

Xhaka has been exposed in the dual midfield role. Wenger literally left players to out dry at times. When u got players bombing forward n he's sitting in front of 2 sometimes 1 out of place cbs he's looked shocking.
indy23
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Sims » Fri May 25, 2018 8:41 pm

indy23 wrote:Xhaka has been exposed in the dual midfield role. Wenger literally left players to out dry at times. When u got players bombing forward n he's sitting in front of 2 sometimes 1 out of place cbs he's looked shocking.

he'll be fine under unai

he was apparently really bemused at the lack of direct instructions given to him by arsene tactically, unsurprising given he was basically a 1 man midfield for the vast majority of the time. hoping for a big season for granit, he does that and shows the improvement he's shown throughout 2018 then he's future captain material
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Pudpop » Fri May 25, 2018 9:58 pm

Xhaka will be much more suited to being the deepest CM in an Emery midfield 3 much like Rabiot plays.

Even now xhaka's defensive numbers are comparable to other CMs despite how shit our midfield was. He should thrive (or at least be less shit) in a midfield 3, hopefully with Ramsey and Verratti next to him ;)

Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsene Nose » Sat May 26, 2018 12:15 am

Angelito wrote:

That’s the optimistic assessment. I bet gazidis is compensated on profits. Everything he’s ever done is to find cheap young players and sell them on at a profit. That why he bought stat dna and that’s why he’s brought Sven to the club. I think Wenger had to go because his Midas touch in finding them young and selling them for big money vanished in the last 3-4 seasons.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby elkanofan » Sat May 26, 2018 12:29 pm

Angelito wrote:

Swansea 1-2 at home in 15/16 was the beginning of the end for me.

Everything just died, the crowd was behind the team, we scored early, then faded badly, made stupid pathetic mistakes and ended up losing to two very soft goals. When Wenger brought Welbeck on you could see how disjointed the team was, we relied to heavily on Santi because we had no direct replacement for him and this showed in the season after.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to World Football