Gabriel Jesus (9)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Official: Gabriel Jesus joins Arsenal

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:00 pm

Reiss wrote:I reckon we should leave the tactics to the qualified football manager. I'm sure he thought about how to integrate Jesus into our tactics before deciding to splash 45m on him.

............... yep worked a treat with Auba and Laca.

Great managing.

Fact is Arteta has more experience putting out cones than he does as being an actual manager so still has plenty to prove before he's given Klopp levels of trust and faith.

Plus he failed to secure 4th last season and completey botched the last run of games to let Spurs beat us.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Reiss » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:04 pm

Laca is a grandad and Auba switched off after his contract.

And if a manager who has more experience putting out cones than being an actual manager wins a trophy in his first season as manager I'd say that tells us he's a great manager, so thanks for proving my point. Big Mik :hail:
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:07 pm

Magically switched back on again at Barcelona though somehow?

The mystery's of the world are never ending.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:15 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Magically switched back on again at Barcelona though somehow?

The mystery's of the world are never ending.

Quite, always said how he does at Barca would show whether it was him being finished or the manager, it’s been proven he’s not finished.

2 1/2 years of substandard attacking and watching our attackers becoming impotent is plenty enough to make conclusions from.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby ag6789 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:16 pm

Arsenal have moved away from a traditional CF since Giroud. Neither Auba nor Laca were true CFs, but were mobile multipurpose strikers. Scored 160+ goals among themselves in various manner.Both lost their edge ( at least while at Arsenal) are replaced by younger mobile forwards.
The lack of goals by Auba and Laca were partially made up by fast maturing Saka, ESR, Marinelli and also Odegaard from midfield , last season. Now with the induction of Jesus , young but experienced, ( 95 goals in 230+ outings) can only make us more potent. With the midfield being further bolstered, I see us as a greater threat, goal wise, as well as gaining upper hand in the midfield over the rivals.
Also, much maligned Nktiah, seem to be developing a nose for goals, which also augers well for the next season.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:17 pm

Reiss wrote:Laca is a grandad and Auba switched off after his contract.

And if a manager who has more experience putting out cones than being an actual manager wins a trophy in his first season as manager I'd say that tells us he's a great manager, so thanks for proving my point. Big Mik :hail:

Great manager who so far has achieved a whopping 8th twice and 5th in a season when all he had to focus on was the PL. He also managed to lose 4th place when it seemed almost impossible and other teams were literally doing everything to hand it to us.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:34 pm

ag6789 wrote:Arsenal have moved away from a traditional CF since Giroud. Neither Auba nor Laca were true CFs, but were mobile multipurpose strikers. Scored 160+ goals among themselves in various manner.Both lost their edge ( at least while at Arsenal) are replaced by younger mobile forwards.
The lack of goals by Auba and Laca were partially made up by fast maturing Saka, ESR, Marinelli and also Odegaard from midfield , last season. Now with the induction of Jesus , young but experienced, ( 95 goals in 230+ outings) can only make us more potent. With the midfield being further bolstered, I see us as a greater threat, goal wise, as well as gaining upper hand in the midfield over the rivals.
Also, much maligned Nktiah, seem to be developing a nose for goals, which also augers well for the next season.

Most top clubs have moved away from a target man CF in general.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Reiss » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:34 pm

Salibatelli wrote:
Reiss wrote:Laca is a grandad and Auba switched off after his contract.

Great manager who so far has achieved a whopping 8th twice and 5th in a season when all he had to focus on was the PL. He also managed to lose 4th place when it seemed almost impossible and other teams were literally doing everything to hand it to us.

Did you see my posts earlier in this thread? More L's :crybaby:
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:48 pm

ag6789 wrote:Arsenal have moved away from a traditional CF since Giroud. Neither Auba nor Laca were true CFs, but were mobile multipurpose strikers. Scored 160+ goals among themselves in various manner.Both lost their edge ( at least while at Arsenal) are replaced by younger mobile forwards.

I agree with your first part ..........until now.

Arteta plays a 4-2-3-1 ...... that 1 up front isolated is probably the most classic CF role in any formation in football, its literally specified for that type of role.

So my question is, why is Arteta playing it? I've said across multiple threads almost every team in the top 4 across Europe has moved to using 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 where the central ST in that 3 can be any type of striker because he's supported on each side by a WF / LF or RF.

But the formation we play has a specfic designated box CF role.

Its probably the single dumbest thing Arteta does because he doesn't even have that type of CF at the club, closest being Nketiah.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:47 pm

Reiss wrote:Laca to Jesus is an almighty upgrade.

If we do the same in CM then my gosh it will be exciting :arse flag.gif:

You got excited cos we thrashed Ipswich ... I think its fair to say we can ignore what makes you excited.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:53 pm

Since we moved away from having a traditional CF we have not qualified for the CL. Giroud's last season for us as first choice forward was in 2016/17, that was our last CL season.

Coincidence ?! I think not.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:13 am

theHotHead wrote:

You got excited cos we thrashed Ipswich ... I think its fair to say we can ignore what makes you excited.

Yes.

Laca was useless infront of goal last season so anyone can be better than him this season.

Jesus is around Auba's level in talent. We will see how efficient he is for us but a player of good quality which i'm happy about.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Fran Solo » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:33 am

elkanofan wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

Yes.

Laca was useless infront of goal last season so anyone can be better than him this season.

Jesus is around Auba's level in talent. We will see how efficient he is for us but a player of good quality which i'm happy about.

Yeah. This is a great signing. Off course we need to sign more players this window, but this signing itself is very good.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby BexleyGooner » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:40 pm

First goal in the bag in under 2 mins
BexleyGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby 22-0 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:56 pm

he set the goal up too then made the run and finished it.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk