Gabriel Jesus (9)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Official: Gabriel Jesus joins Arsenal

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:00 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
I wouldn't say that. A lot of players have the ability to play a second position. I think of former players like Rosicky, Cazorla and that time when Flamini filled in as LB and helped us get to the Champs League final. Currently, we have Saka, ESR, White, Tomiyasu, Gabriel Jesus....At other clubs, I think of Firminho, Jota, Berando Silva, Foden, Richarlison....

For us, I think it will be difficult to find bench players that are good as the starters and if they are that good, it's hard to convince players to share one position without disrupting form. We can't really afford it to be honest. Then you have the quality issue. I would much rather try White as RB then have Cedric start or move Tomiysau to CB instead of Holding. At least they're not coming off the bench cold and out of match practice which is another problem. Besides the dip in quality, we have players that aren't ready to start, which was a problem for us last year. Hopefully, with the Europa League, some of our bench options will get more games and won't look so rusty off the bench if needed.

I'm going by what I see, which is Arteta yelling instructions on the touchline for most of the game. He is constantly in Xhaka's ear, and Xhaka relays those instructions to players as well. Its' not an easy system for players to adapt to.

There's an opportunity cost to consider as well. Saka was excellent as a LWB, but his role is now RW because his goal contributions are more important than his defensive work. Similarly, would we want to use Zinchenko as a CM if it meant moving Xhaka to LB? Would the tradeoff be worth it?
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:18 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
I wouldn't say that. A lot of players have the ability to play a second position. I think of former players like Rosicky, Cazorla and that time when Flamini filled in as LB and helped us get to the Champs League final. Currently, we have Saka, ESR, White, Tomiyasu, Gabriel Jesus....At other clubs, I think of Firminho, Jota, Berando Silva, Foden, Richarlison....

For us, I think it will be difficult to find bench players that are good as the starters and if they are that good, it's hard to convince players to share one position without disrupting form. We can't really afford it to be honest. Then you have the quality issue. I would much rather try White as RB then have Cedric start or move Tomiysau to CB instead of Holding. At least they're not coming off the bench cold and out of match practice which is another problem. Besides the dip in quality, we have players that aren't ready to start, which was a problem for us last year. Hopefully, with the Europa League, some of our bench options will get more games and won't look so rusty off the bench if needed.

I'm going by what I see, which is Arteta yelling instructions on the touchline for most of the game. He is constantly in Xhaka's ear, and Xhaka relays those instructions to players as well. Its' not an easy system for players to adapt to.

There's an opportunity cost to consider as well. Saka was excellent as a LWB, but his role is now RW because his goal contributions are more important than his defensive work. Similarly, would we want to use Zinchenko as a CM if it meant moving Xhaka to LB? Would the tradeoff be worth it?

I think the shouting from the touchline and overall micro management may be a distraction for any player. But general, there are players that can play two or three positions.

Regarding Xhaka, I think he's an issues wherever he plays. In terms of technical and athletic ability, he's probably the worst out of all our starters. If he's moved on from the CM with Zinchenko taking his place, Tomiyasu should play LB once fit and we can keep White at RB.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:56 pm

Some nice play today but faded badly after 30 minutes.

What’s clear is he’s not going to get the chances he got at City, chances will be harder to come by, strikers will always find it hard in this system as has been shown in the past.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Ach » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:58 pm

First look at him

Great first 30 mins. Did nothing else.

Hardly a threat to opponents goal.

Needs to get that 30 mins to last for much longer
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:00 pm

Really good debut, chased after lost balls, set up a great tap-in chance for Ode.

That being said, I think we need him playing right down the middle. He would have finished that chance easily.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby alexafc12 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:00 pm

The whole team crumbled after 30 minutes. The midfield got overran, we dropped deep and then we couldn't keep possession.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby TedLasso » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:04 pm

I thought he was good but our team couldn’t quite keep up. Gave Odegaard a sitter that he couldn’t contain. Should be better next week.
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:06 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:Really good debut, chased after lost balls, set up a great tap-in chance for Ode.

That being said, I think we need him playing right down the middle. He would have finished that chance easily.

I think this is the way Arteta expects his strikers to play, this means they aren’t as much of a threat though as they’re busy doing other things, we’ve seen it with every striker that has played under Arteta.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby ag6789 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:06 pm

Did a lot of running, but the midfield was falling behind and pegged back as the game progressed, so he could not influence the game later.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:06 pm

He was really good. Ball sticks to his feet. Loads of energy and can really run at defenders.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Re: Gabriel Jesus (9)

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:03 pm

Still feel we need a target man. It was too easy to crowd us out.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:07 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:Still feel we need a target man. It was too easy to crowd us out.

Agreed. It may sound archaic, but I don't think we're not quite enough to score the same types of goals in each game. The more avenues we're able to pursue, the more goals we'll score in the vital stages of games. A taller, prolific header of the ball would be a nice alternative to have when in need of a goal and intricate football proves ineffective. Don't think it'll happen, though.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby ag6789 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:19 pm

Big strikers are hard to come by and not necessarily they're that effective.
It is the midfield control we need , which ( as usual) Xhakha and Partey cannot provide.
But I think the forward line , this time, is nimble enough to score sufficiently, provided the midfield steps up.
So far, it was same as last season ( same Xkh/Party); so didn't expect much other than a battling win.
Hopefully when Vieira gets fit might see a different angle. Fingers crossed.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:36 pm

Watching how Palace just kept whipping long diagonal balls over to Zaha or Ayew is something we should look into. We have pace on our flanks and defenders shit the bed when isolated and having to win a physical one on one foot race against a quicker opponent. We don't do that and that can often open teams up and make space for your striker.

Overall, the lack of control and possession hurt us but those aggressive solo runs from Saka won it for us. If we tried switching flanks quickly and going over the top when our midfield turn passive, maybe it could help us. We don't have a target man but we have plenty of pace and it's more of a lack of possession issue for us. It's not like back in the Wenger days where we had loads of possession but weren't very threatening.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:46 pm

Jesus would be incredible at WF or in a front 3.

As good as he is I'm worried being a CF in a target man role will eventually get to him.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk