Héctor Bellerín

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Héctor Bellerín (2)

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:27 pm

I've never understood why Maitland-Niles was benched in favour of Bellerin. You can see that Bellerin is being told to underlap and to come inside more instead of overlapping. I thought AMN played the role well. It's like we had an extra midfielder when he tucked in and our right side looked stronger and more connected. I always think back to that Man Utd victory last season.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:20 pm

Bellerin to me is one of those players that have been here too long to the point they get picked on seniority > form.

He's been on auto pilot here for years, I don't like the guy, get rid, I want someone like Tierney who's out to make a mark.

Bellerin can fk off, let him go to PSG and try cruising there, they'll eat him alive and if he does step up over there, well then all that proves is that he wasn't prepared to do that for us so again .......... he's better off gone.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:10 pm

Zenith wrote:If Bellerín himself feels he needs a new challenge I wouldn't be against a sale. Having said that, bringing in an upgrade may prove tougher than expected.

In terms of established elite talent, right-back is currently the problem position in professional football. It's slim pickings and exactly why a player of Bellerín's pedigree is linked with clubs like Barcelona and PSG.

Do you really think we’d lose anything by selling Bellerín and bringing in Lamptey or Aarons? Both probably have the same defensive weaknesses but time to improve, Bellerin has regressed in his time here.

I’m fine with Bellerin as a backup but then we still need to find the starting RB in either case.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:12 pm

Santi wrote:
Zenith wrote:If Bellerín himself feels he needs a new challenge I wouldn't be against a sale. Having said that, bringing in an upgrade may prove tougher than expected.

In terms of established elite talent, right-back is currently the problem position in professional football. It's slim pickings and exactly why a player of Bellerín's pedigree is linked with clubs like Barcelona and PSG.

Do you really think we’d lose anything by selling Bellerín and bringing in Lamptey or Aarons? Both probably have the same defensive weaknesses but time to improve, Bellerin has regressed in his time here.

I’m fine with Bellerin as a backup but then we still need to find the starting RB in either case.

I think the issue is Lamptey would probably cost more than we'd get for Bellerin, perhaps even Aarons too.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:15 pm

Yeah I’m not chuffed with the rumoured fee for Aarons but I’d rather swap Bellerin for one of them (i.e pay same price) and hope they push on where he hasn’t. Both are young enough to improve, Bellerin is treading water.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:17 pm

Santi wrote:Yeah I’m not chuffed with the rumoured fee for Aarons but I’d rather swap Bellerin for one of them (i.e pay same price) and hope they push on where he hasn’t. Both are young enough to improve, Bellerin is treading water.

Yeah, fair. I also get the impression Bellerin could probably do with a change of scenery.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:19 pm

I think he could actually push on at PSG where the league is a little bit easier and he’s playing with more stars around him. Had he been at Barca when Alves was there and they had a great team around him, then I’m sure he’d have been lauded as a star RB.

He’s just got too settled here and improving seems to have gone on the back burner. Couple that with a weak defence around him and he just looks like an average player. Agree a change of scenery could reignite him at least a little.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:04 am

Credit where credit's due, that was a decent showing from our lumberjack hating fashionista, and one that hasn't been seen from him for longer than I can remember given its highlight was the block preventing a certain goal.

Yes, a defensive action was the standout moment from a Bellerin performance, with the only downside being that my left arm is really proper sore now from the amount of times I had to pinch myself.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:24 am

thebigbangtheo wrote:Credit where credit's due, that was a decent showing from our lumberjack hating fashionista, and one that hasn't been seen from him for longer than I can remember given its highlight was the block preventing a certain goal.

Yes, a defensive action was the standout moment from a Bellerin performance, with the only downside being that my left arm is really proper sore now from the amount of times I had to pinch myself.

No denying Bellerin was decent tonight, but isn't that more about the level of opposition than Bellerin? When he can pretty much do what he wants he looks good, when he has to perform either as a defender or as an overlapping FB against better players? not so much ...

I reckon France or Spain where you only play top teams a handful of times a year would suit him far more. The EPL week in week out is to tough for him.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Callum » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:49 am

immense tonight

well done hector lad
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:33 pm

the walcott 1 good game in 10 syndrome has stricken our boy hector
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:16 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:Credit where credit's due, that was a decent showing from our lumberjack hating fashionista, and one that hasn't been seen from him for longer than I can remember given its highlight was the block preventing a certain goal.

His best game since the Leeds home game
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:19 pm

Santi wrote:the walcott 1 good game in 10 syndrome has stricken our boy hector

He has had 3 good games in the last 10
starmandb

Postby theHotHead » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:24 am

Which 3? Define good! Just saying, I don't think he has stood out at all this season. I will go check the player ratings for the games you say he was good in.

If good means he wasnt as bad as he usually is then thats not my definition of good. Happy to be proved wrong on this.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby dc16 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:32 am

I noticed he was overlapping a lot more vs Olympiacos and getting one or two decent crosses in.

Needs to do a lot more of this.
dc16
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to World Football