Advice for fans visiting Arsenal and / or London

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Advice for fans visiting Arsenal and / or London

Postby UFGN » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:56 am

Transport

London's Underground network is safe and is generally the best way to get to Arsenal and around London in general.

Emirates Stadium is close to ARSENAL station on the Picadilly Line and FINSBURY PARK which is on the Picadilly and Victoria Lines and has suburban rail services. You should avoid using HOLLOWAY ROAD station because it is usually closed on matchdays. If you don't mind a longer walk then HIGHBURY & ISLINGTON station is about twenty minutes away and is usually less crowded.

You will probably have to queue for up to half an hour to enter either ARSENAL or FINSBURY PARK stations after the match, so you should factor this in to your return journey plans.

You must check for ENGINEERING WORKS which may effect your journey. Engineering work is done on London Underground on most weekends and can lead to line closures. https://tfl.gov.uk/

There is no public parking at the ground, and you may have to park a long way away and walk back.

Pubs

There are lots of pubs in the Finsbury Park and Holloway areas.

The Twelve Pins, a large pub near Finsbury Park Station, has a good atmosphere and allows both home and away fans.

Hotels

Avoid hotels in the area near the ground. Not all, but many of the hotels around Finsbury Park cater mainly for people in temporary accommodation rather than the casual overnight visitor.

As a general rule in London it is best to stick to "chain" hotels. London has more than its fair share of bad quality, privately run hotels. There are some honorable exceptions to this, and this is where TripAdvisor will come in handy.

There are several chain hotels (Travel Lodge, Premier Inn etc) in and around Euston Road, near St Pancras, King’s Cross and Euston Stations. This is a good area to stay because of easy transport links to Arsenal and to Central London.

More to follow..... PM me or a mod if you want to add useful information in this O/P
We could do with feedback about hotels, tips about parking etc
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Re: Advice for fans visiting Arsenal and / or London

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:58 am

Tip: Getting out of the stadium even 5 minutes early can save you half an hour
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:35 am

GoonerAlexis wrote:Tip: Getting out of the stadium even 5 minutes early can save you half an hour

And also make you 'one of those people'.

Pubs:
The Famous Cock - right next to Highbury and Islington station if you take that route, turn right out of the station and boom.
The Gunners (well the one opposite is better imo but forgot the name) - <5mins walk from the ground, in between Arsenal station and Highbury & Islington.

Re tube:
On the way to the game I find Arsenal station is actually less busy than H&I and is obviously much closer to the ground (30 secs walk away) but on the way home it can really take a good 30/45 mins (as UFGN said) to get in to the station and you will be required to listen to the same jibe about Emmanuel Adebayor every time.

I usually stick to the following on exit - If you're in the clock end/west stand then use Highbury & Islington/Holloway Road, North bank use Arsenal station.

Useful thread, should sticky it so it doesn't drift away.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:18 pm

If ur planning to drive then unless you know a mate with a permit be prepared to park 20-25 mins away & walk
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Dejan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:33 pm

There is no underground parking lot inside the stadium?
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:50 pm

Dejan wrote:There is no underground parking lot inside the stadium?

Not for public use.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Dai_Dillinger » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:03 pm

Thanks to all for the info! Hoping to get over there in March.
"I'm obsessed by the idea of making my mark on history. And Arsenal is my paradise" - King Thierry
Dai_Dillinger
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Dejan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:46 pm

UFGN wrote:

Not for public use.

lmao thats pathetic
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Dai_Dillinger » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:21 pm

Dejan wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Not for public use.

lmao thats pathetic

I thought that was pretty standard? I know a lot of the Rugby League teams in Aus have the same issue
"I'm obsessed by the idea of making my mark on history. And Arsenal is my paradise" - King Thierry
Dai_Dillinger
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Dejan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:35 pm

Dai_Dillinger wrote:
Dejan wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Not for public use.

lmao thats pathetic

I thought that was pretty standard? I know a lot of the Rugby League teams in Aus have the same issue

I thought it was standard to have one? I have not been in many stadiums but I think they all had a public parking lot inside the stadium
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:08 pm

The club always knew parking would be difficult, and to be fair were always clear about that before they built the Grove.

Arsenal has traditionally always been a ground which fans use the Tube to get to, even since the Chapman era. Its probably the best served club in the country for public transport links.

UFGN

Postby Dai_Dillinger » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:52 pm

Dejan wrote:
Dai_Dillinger wrote:
Dejan wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Not for public use.

lmao thats pathetic

I thought it was standard to have one? I have not been in many stadiums but I think they all had a public parking lot inside the stadium

Not too sure about England but as I said alot of the big NRL stadiums have the same 'park and 20 min walk' situation
Dai_Dillinger
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ChrisSuperG » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:52 pm

I went to see Arsenal for the first time V Sunderland.

Underground/Overground was fine. I stayed in Newham so it took 3 trains to get to the ground but after the first one me and my friend just followed all the people wearing Arsenal attire. It was easy really. Had a great night out aswell.

Oh yeh - If you do go on a night out and any people ask you to go off a main road with them, however nice they seem and whatever the reason DO NOT. Twice I had this happen and it was clear they wanted to rob me or something.
ChrisSuperG
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Cripps » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:38 pm

I live in Newham and go to the Emirates regularly. Only takes me 2 trains.

And yeah sorry about that.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:13 pm

great thread idea!
wish i had the $$$ to visit...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham