Mohamed Elneny (25)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mohamed Elneny (25)

Postby Phil71 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:44 pm

Never thought I'd say it, but he's playing well and deserves a place.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby swipe right » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:31 pm

Reminds me of the situation with Coquelin. A mediocre player who grabbed his chances when the role was open. Did enough for us not to buy a player in that position and then underwhelmed for 2-3 seasons.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:52 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
aniym wrote:Nobody is coming in with a £30m bid for a 30yo mostly inconspicuous Egyptian midfielder, even if transfer budgets hadn't been hit by Covid.

What we need to do is extend Elneny's deal and make sure he stays fit and committed over the next few years.

Sell Xhaka as soon as the ink is dry.

Elneny is 27 I believe.

I think we could get his price up to £28m if he kept playing the way he did yesterday, we did it with AMN, man went from £5m value to £20m and Iwobi was the last one.

Thing is for players and your right in saying "inconspicuous" not only do you have to play well for a spell of time to get noticed you also have to bump up your profile, players after a while literally become like a franchise, name recogniton, marketing etc .......... look at Ozil, he's been living off his profile well after he was being cut from the team.

But for the team, I recon we're better off keeping him, he's cheap and he produces performances well above the £5m we paid for him and his wages aren't a kings randsom.

Contract expires in 2 years. Options are:
1. sell him soon for 15-20 mil
2. accede to his demands to be a starter to get him to sign a new deal
3. Lose him for free

What do you do?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby yadunoe » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:20 am

swipe right wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
aniym wrote:Nobody is coming in with a £30m bid for a 30yo mostly inconspicuous Egyptian midfielder, even if transfer budgets hadn't been hit by Covid.

What we need to do is extend Elneny's deal and make sure he stays fit and committed over the next few years.

Sell Xhaka as soon as the ink is dry.

Elneny is 27 I believe.

I think we could get his price up to £28m if he kept playing the way he did yesterday, we did it with AMN, man went from £5m value to £20m and Iwobi was the last one.

Thing is for players and your right in saying "inconspicuous" not only do you have to play well for a spell of time to get noticed you also have to bump up your profile, players after a while literally become like a franchise, name recogniton, marketing etc .......... look at Ozil, he's been living off his profile well after he was being cut from the team.

But for the team, I recon we're better off keeping him, he's cheap and he produces performances well above the £5m we paid for him and his wages aren't a kings randsom.

Contract expires in 2 years. Options are:
1. sell him soon for 15-20 mil
2. accede to his demands to be a starter to get him to sign a new deal
3. Lose him for free

What do you do?

number 2 for me . hes our 2nd best mid sell xhaka the pilon and move on
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby yadunoe » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:23 am

swipe right wrote:Reminds me of the situation with Coquelin. A mediocre player who grabbed his chances when the role was open. Did enough for us not to buy a player in that position and then underwhelmed for 2-3 seasons.

coq would never be able to score a goal like what el neny did at barca or play passes like el neny did against man u and his hockey assist he had 2 games ago to break the lines a forward passing el neny is a great player, elite stamina tactical awarness and if u add passing its immense coq was only good cause he had santi beside him to do the technical work and he would the dirty work for santi where as partey and el neny both can do defensive and offensive work thats why i been saying since partey came here that el neny partey and ceballos is the 3 man mid we need to run xhaka has to be on the bench for me fam
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby swipe right » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:29 am

Ok. Since everyone is all Hell Neny, I’ll play along.
El as 6
Partey as 8
Ozil as 10

F.cking do it Arteta.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:12 am

swipe right wrote:Ok. Since everyone is all Hell Neny, I’ll play along.
El as 6
Partey as 8
Ozil as 10

F.cking do it Arteta.

I thought you quit trolling?

Ozil has not been registered to play in the Prem or the Europa so can't play and you know that as well as the rest of us.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby yadunoe » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:09 am

El as 6
Partey as 8
Ozil as 10

F.cking do it Arteta.

this would make us firm faves for top4 but for reasons other then football hes not playing
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby VCC » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:57 am

yadunoe wrote:
El as 6
Partey as 8
Ozil as 10

F.cking do it Arteta.

this would make us firm faves for top4 but for reasons other then football hes not playing

Put the crack pipe away guys
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby yadunoe » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:27 am

VCC wrote:
yadunoe wrote:
El as 6
Partey as 8
Ozil as 10

F.cking do it Arteta.

ozil playing with a sheild of el neny and partey and front 3 of saka auba pepe would be dangerous man you cant deny no one on our squad can play passes like ozil and we do still lack a passer in midfield who can play killer passes
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby VCC » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:48 am

yadunoe wrote:
VCC wrote:
yadunoe wrote:
El as 6
Partey as 8
Ozil as 10

F.cking do it Arteta.

ozil playing with a sheild of el neny and partey and front 3 of saka auba pepe would be dangerous man you cant deny no one on our squad can play passes like ozil and we do still lack a passer in midfield who can play killer passes

You constantly talk of an Ozil of years gone by, the guy is past it when it comes to what he can do, and a f***ing liability at the rest
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby swipe right » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:28 am

yadunoe wrote:
VCC wrote:
yadunoe wrote:
El as 6
Partey as 8
Ozil as 10

F.cking do it Arteta.

Yes. This is it mate. With a back four of Tierney, Maga, Holding and Bellerin
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:58 am

:rolleyes:
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:41 am

Good game by Elneny and definitely prefer him to Xhaka but let’s not get carried away, we need to see if he keeps performing before we decide if he’s up to it.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:15 pm

Özim wrote:Good game by Elneny and definitely prefer him to Xhaka but let’s not get carried away, we need to see if he keeps performing before we decide if he’s up to it.

Whilst I understand how this conclusion could be drawn and the logical process supporting it, this is where there tends to be a bit of a disconnect between what fans see on the pitch and what a manager or coach gleans from the training ground to influence his decisions.

Elneny's performance was a confirmation that the potential within was not just genuine but itself able to be tapped into, mined and extracted.

The majority of the fanbase had already acknowledged his characteristics of work rate, fighting spirit and selflessness but struggled when it came to seeing that degree of quality with a bit of polish required to compete at the highest level.

That he had had some good performances for arsenal prior to going on loan last season was damned by their tendency to be more sporadic than consistent and I think most of us are aware of the key ingredient all top players must possess.

That there were apparently 3 or 4 clubs in Turkey that were up for taking him back in light of another loan spell, suggests that Arteta was not the first to spot flecks of gold in his boots.

The only thing worse than a player wasting their potential, is a manager having believed in it more than the player themselves and it ultimately remaining unfulfilled, and why I get José Mourinho's reluctance to develop players when he can purchase exactly what he needs pret a porte.

That is why I am of the opinion that the question of whether he is up to it or not has already been answered.

It is now up to him if he's going to maximise this opportunity, as well as the manager being able to keep motivating such performances out of him on a consistent basis.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk