Super Jacky Wilshere

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Jack Wilshere (10)

Postby Zenith » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:35 am

thebigbangtheo wrote:WOW..amazing to see that only a few weeks ago there were so many negative comments about Jack being finished and no longer possessing the attributes that set him apart, such as his instant turn of pace and ability to twist and turn out of trouble. Similar egg on face scenario's for all those whose logic determined we wanted to sell him to Bournemouth and couldn't understand the practical purpose and benefit of his loan.
Nothing wrong with being wrong, it just gets me how nobody has held their hand up yet to admit it. I suppose it's just easier to see and comment on other people's perceived failings and mistakes rather than our own.

Preach.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:37 am

Zenith wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:WOW..amazing to see that only a few weeks ago there were so many negative comments about Jack being finished and no longer possessing the attributes that set him apart, such as his instant turn of pace and ability to twist and turn out of trouble. Similar egg on face scenario's for all those whose logic determined we wanted to sell him to Bournemouth and couldn't understand the practical purpose and benefit of his loan.
Nothing wrong with being wrong, it just gets me how nobody has held their hand up yet to admit it. I suppose it's just easier to see and comment on other people's perceived failings and mistakes rather than our own.

Preach.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:14 am

If you honestly believe the performances Jack has put in are even remotely close to a top EPL central midfield player KDB - Coutinho - Hazard - Eriksen then you're deluded .... he's look half decent compared to the utter garbage around him but that's about it ....

and guess what ... he's injured himself through overextending and going over on his ankle ... self inflicted .... yet again

Let's hope it's nothing serious because heaven knows we need him ... but if you think a team with Jack running the midfield is ever going to challenge for serious trophies ... you're out with the fairies ....

Just to nail the 'top contribution' claim, in his last ten games he's played 817 minutes, he's scored 2 goals and had 2 assists, he's also picked up 3 bookings ....

KDB last ten - 3 goals 4 assists 1 booking
Coutinho last ten - 7 goals 4 assists 0 bookings
Eriksen last ten - 2 goals 4 assists 0 bookings

So in Jack's 'best spell for three years' as Wonger put it let's not delude ourselves, he's still coming up short of the very top drawer .... we need better if we ever want to get back to being an elite side ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:23 am

Jack's a CM, the rest are CAM's
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby coach8smallball » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:34 am

and boom, the injury.

let's hope it isn't serious, but not a big surprise.
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby thebigbangtheo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:13 pm

@EliteKiller - I guess that proves my point. As a strategy, attack is often the best form of defense, however, that is not always the case.
Why are you referring to KDB (who has been the best attacking midfielder in the league this year), Hazard (the best AM last year), Ericsson and Coutinho in relation to Wilshire? They are all attacking midfielders whose principle purpose is to operate within the final third of the pitch and impart their influence. Jack is a deep lying playmaker operating from in-front of the defence with the whole of the pitch as his work shop due mainly to the defensive responsibility of his role.
Beyond being young, male, footballers with outstanding technical ability and midfielders, there is nothing else comparable regards where they play on the pitch or the very nature of their game. Kante, Matic, Fernandinho, Wanyama are (in my opinion at least) undoubtedly the best defensive midfielders in the league, i wouldn't dream of comparing any of them to the aforementioned attacking players as completely different midfield roles. As much sense as comparing PV4 with Mesut11 just because they're both midfielders. Or Roy Keane with David Beckham. Being reasonable with only a modicum of understanding football, you just wouldn't, would you?
The only reference to his performances being on a par or not with the aforementioned players that I am aware of, came from yourself.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Jack has just played a couple league games so far and all the games played are on his road back to full fitness after 3 years of perpetual injuries, a full fitness he has yet to attain as stated previously. Again, I don't see the logic of these slanted comparisons bar making an argument for arguments sake.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:@EliteKiller - I guess that proves my point. As a strategy, attack is often the best form of defense, however, that is not always the case.
Why are you referring to KDB (who has been the best attacking midfielder in the league this year), Hazard (the best AM last year), Ericsson and Coutinho in relation to Wilshire? They are all attacking midfielders whose principle purpose is to operate within the final third of the pitch and impart their influence. Jack is a deep lying playmaker operating from in-front of the defence with the whole of the pitch as his work shop due mainly to the defensive responsibility of his role.
Beyond being young, male, footballers with outstanding technical ability and midfielders, there is nothing else comparable regards where they play on the pitch or the very nature of their game. Kante, Matic, Fernandinho, Wanyama are (in my opinion at least) undoubtedly the best defensive midfielders in the league, i wouldn't dream of comparing any of them to the aforementioned attacking players as completely different midfield roles. As much sense as comparing PV4 with Mesut11 just because they're both midfielders. Or Roy Keane with David Beckham. Being reasonable with just a modicum of understanding football you just wouldn't would you?
The only reference to his performances being on a par or not with the aforementioned players that I am aware of, came from yourself.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Jack has just played a couple league games so far and all the games played are on his road back to full fitness after 3 years of perpetual injuries, a full fitness he has yet to achieve as stated previously. Again, I don't see the logic of these slanted comparisons bar making an argument for arguments sake.

Best 'deep lying play-maker' is Modric .... and Jack's not even close, but then who is ..... the point is our competitors all have top attacking midfield players or top defensive midfield players, or indeed both .... Dele, Hazard, KDB, Coutinho, Eriksen, Pogba and then Kante, Matic, Fernandinho, Wanyama none of them have this strange 'deep lying play-maker' who neither scores nor defends, yet we seem to be living in some forgotten era and still have a whole team of then ... Jack, Aaron, Xhaka ...

In today's game you need guys who contribute, not guys who just play pretty football and make up the numbers ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:53 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:@EliteKiller - I guess that proves my point. As a strategy, attack is often the best form of defense, however, that is not always the case.
Beyond being young, male, footballers with outstanding technical ability and midfielders, there is nothing else comparable regards where they play on the pitch or the very nature of their game. Kante, Matic, Fernandinho, Wanyama are (in my opinion at least) undoubtedly the best defensive midfielders in the league, i wouldn't dream of comparing any of them to the aforementioned attacking players as completely different midfield roles. As much sense as comparing PV4 with Mesut11 just because they're both midfielders. Or Roy Keane with David Beckham. Being reasonable with just a modicum of understanding football you just wouldn't would you?
Correct me if I'm wrong but Jack has just played a couple league games so far and all the games played are on his road back to full fitness after 3 years of perpetual injuries, a full fitness he has yet to achieve as stated previously. Again, I don't see the logic of these slanted comparisons bar making an argument for arguments sake.

Jack is NOT a deep lying play maker ffs, he's CM at best, if anything he plays more like a CAM skill wise.

He's been playing CAM in the Europa and now he's playing CM which is his two best positions.

Deep lying play maker is a Xabi Alonso, Arteta or Pirlo, someone who anchors the midfield and plays long balls or passes from that position.

Wilshere is all up in that final third and certainly doesn't anchor.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:04 pm

He transitions defence to attack, he was doing respectable in a poor team, got a few goals/assists lately, if the injury isn't serious and he can add the odd assist and goal more frequently then he is top level.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby thebigbangtheo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:02 pm

@DiamondGooner - I will have to disagree regards your analysis of a deep lying playmaker. The role of playmaker was traditionally that of what we refer to now as the number 10 role/position, Hoddle, Platini, Zico and Gazza being principal exponents of the craft.
The likes of Butch Wilkins, Alan Ball, Rivelino and Liam Brady were a variation on the traditional playmaker in that they had the same vision, technical ability and passing attributes but played from midfield positions that previously were more regimented and hadn't lent to expressing oneself like a winger or a forward could.
Pep Gardiola, Alain Giresse, Frank Rikyaard and Jan Molby were amongst the first midfielders I became aware of with the skill set of a number 10 but playing from deep (it's been said that Molby wasn't really a dlp..he just took so long to lumber forward!)
Firstly, the role does not require that you have to hold and anchor the midfield, that is why a DLP is usually played along side a DM. Cesc (dlp) & Flamini (dm) for example, the best being Viera & Petit (or Gilberto Silva) but Keane & Scholes weren't bad either! Xavi was the playmaker for Barca, Busquets his enforcer.
Secondly, there is nothing that defines the role solely on the ability to spray balls around the park. Besides, Wilshire possesses that ability in bucket loads. That he also has the ability to run with the ball is a valuable asset and can lend to quick transitioning from back to front. That not many if any at all of the DLP's mentioned had that ability is not a hindrance to Jack but another string to his bow.
When we are dictating the game or have more of the ball, both a DM & DLP should be inside the opposition half. When the DLP can set up camp 40-30m from their goal and just keep the ball moving, you now have two expert passers to pick the passes resulting in goals.
Just because he is very skilful doesn't mean he has to play in a forward attacking role.
Prior to a previous comment I made regards the definition of DLP and who best defined the role, no one had even mentioned Andrea Pirlo and Xabi Alonso, so please...
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Schlandi » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:20 pm

I see nothing special in his latest performances and still think he's no starting material for a club like Arsenal AND shouldn't get a new contract cause on top of that he's to injury prone. But I won't repeat the same shit every few days like some other people here about different players. I also really don't like Giroud or Xhaka too but I don't fell the need to post that every week. But that doesn't change my view of this players.

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:26 pm

Jack Wilshere is not a Deep lying play maker no matter what citations for "other players" you bring up.

Jack only ever played as one for England and had to adapt showing it wasn't his natural position.

Jack Wilshere is a CM / CAM end of story.

How many times does Jack sit on the edge of the final third driving at the defense and dribbling toward goal ......... there is nothing "deep lying" about anything he does.

How can you assume he's a deep lying play maker when the only time he ever goes back is to help defend, other than that he's in the final third or at worst central, he's never "deep" is he?

Just accept that your incorrect on this occasion and we move on.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:48 pm

He's just tweeted that he's back in a few days, nothing serious. Thank god.

Each passing game he's slowly coming back to his best. Still a bit of rust there but even at his current level he's our best midfielder by some way.

He's got through his toughest test of playing through the hectic Christmas/New year schedule. I was quite surprised that he didn't get subbed off once considering he's not played that many games in such a short space of time in years.

Onwards and upwards for him.
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Marsbar100 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:16 pm

Thank f**k for that, dude is getting into some good goal scoring positions, if he can improve that, jack with goals is would be up there with the best.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100

Postby ALLCAPS_ » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:07 pm

Still long to see him in a 3
ALLCAPS_
Charlie George
Charlie George

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club