Super Jacky Wilshere

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Jack Wilshere (10)

Postby Losmeister » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:05 pm

please kill this thread.
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:48 pm

I bet he ends up at west ham
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Mess » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:03 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:Lot of confusion on this forum. Let’s understand the differences between club legend, club icon and club star.
A legend is someone who through his feats breaks records and win trophies. For example Henry in our case. They get preferential treatment at the club like statues etc.
A club icon is someone who comes through the ranks and embodies the values of the club top to bottom. Remember a clubs raison d‘etre is to groom players. Wilshere is therefore an icon. Now you have some icons that are also legends, for example Tony Adams. This exaulted position gives him the title Mr. Arsenal. Or in Rauls case even the club is called Raul’s Real. No one ever says Ronaldo’s Real because even though he is a legend, he’s not an icon. Someone asked me whether Gibbs is an icon. And I have to say that’s a controversial question. On judgement I don’t consider him and icon but one could make the case. Iwobi, Nelson, AMN can all go on to being icons if they have long careers at Arsenal. Nketiah cannot because he is Chelsea. He can however be a legend some day.
A star player is like Sanchez who has temporary impact but is not long lasting.

The thing is, those definitions are very subjective. You lay out the foundation for the discussion based on your opinion of the difference between and a star, an icon and a legend. When you say " Let’s understand the differences between club legend, club icon and club star", you truly mean: Hear my take on what it means and let's discuss. And I can appreciate that you put substance in your post instead of just replying: "You're an idiot". I don't agree with your definitions but I respect it because truly, everyone's opinion on the subject is legit. Some see Wilshere as a club icon, I don't. Some see Rosicky or Cazorla as club legends, I don't. I guess you fit in one of those categories based on either individual (star), record holding (legend) or displaying character traits that marked an era and in a way, defined the Arsenal ethos of that era (icon), a combination of the above or all of the above. But it still remain entirely subjective so I don't understand some people getting on their high horses about it.
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Arsene Nose » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:10 pm

Mess wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:Lot of confusion on this forum. Let’s understand the differences between club legend, club icon and club star.
A legend is someone who through his feats breaks records and win trophies. For example Henry in our case. They get preferential treatment at the club like statues etc.
A club icon is someone who comes through the ranks and embodies the values of the club top to bottom. Remember a clubs raison d‘etre is to groom players. Wilshere is therefore an icon. Now you have some icons that are also legends, for example Tony Adams. This exaulted position gives him the title Mr. Arsenal. Or in Rauls case even the club is called Raul’s Real. No one ever says Ronaldo’s Real because even though he is a legend, he’s not an icon. Someone asked me whether Gibbs is an icon. And I have to say that’s a controversial question. On judgement I don’t consider him and icon but one could make the case. Iwobi, Nelson, AMN can all go on to being icons if they have long careers at Arsenal. Nketiah cannot because he is Chelsea. He can however be a legend some day.

The thing is, those definitions are very subjective. You lay out the foundation for the discussion based on your opinion of the difference between and a star, an icon and a legend. When you say " Let’s understand the differences between club legend, club icon and club star", you truly mean: Hear my take on what it means and let's discuss. And I can appreciate that you put substance in your post instead of just replying: "You're an idiot". I don't agree with your definitions but I respect it because truly, everyone's opinion on the subject is legit. Some see Wilshere as a club icon, I don't. Some see Rosicky or Cazorla as club legends, I don't. I guess you fit in one of those categories based on either individual (star), record holding (legend) or displaying character traits that marked an era and in a way, defined the Arsenal ethos of that era (icon), a combination of the above or all of the above. But it still remain entirely subjective so I don't understand some people getting on their high horses about it.

Agreed. And thank you for your mature feedback.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Luzh 22 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:04 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:God I’m tired of the trolls.

No resonable reply, so therefore you jump to an ad hominem attack. What a surprise.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby thebigbangtheo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:26 am

Arsene Nose wrote:
Mess wrote:

Agreed. And thank you for your mature feedback.

Two Arsenal fans having a debate and acting in a reasonable and respectful manner like rational adults, regardless of differing opinions whilst even possessing the ability to read a dictionary..where the hell am I???
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:48 am

:grouphug:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:55 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:Strategic mistake from Emery. Never turn on the club icon immediately. If he gets off to a bad start, the fans will quickly sour on him. He’s put himself in a dicey situation for no reason. Should’ve made verbal guarantees to Wilshere.

Stewart Robson was a fantastic midfielder who proved himself as a versatile full back ( even occasional centre back) he had been at arsenal since he was a 14 year old schoolboy but injurys done for him and after half a season of largely being frozen out george graham sold him.
Within a month of joining arsenal george graham decided he didn't fancy Martin keown who had been at the club 6 years since joining as a 14 year old schoolboy
He sold him to Aston villa
Resigned him from Everton nearly 7 years later
Keown won a trophy with graham and several more with Wenger
Icon ?
Many didn't even realise keown had been here before
Too busy celebrating the 6 trophys that graham won in the interim
Fans want winners
Not dogs dinners
No room for sentiment
Just hard nosed business
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:10 pm

Ach wrote:Sanogo scored 4 goals in a match in Emirates cup

:lol:

Exactly and that's where it ends.

Highlight memories and week to week, game to game reality is completely different thing.

If Jack was as great as some are saying or pining on about this bloody "inner talent" he has then why is there not one top 4 team hell even a proper top 6 team after him?

The best offer he's got is from Everton, that's his level right there.

He's good to a decent player, nothing more, certainly not worth the £150k per week he wanted to fleece us for, I like Jack but the reason I'm being hard on him is I don't like the way these players LOVE Arsenal until we tell them we're not going to pay their kings ransom of a wage demand, as soon as its not "Old cushty" Arsenal they piss off as all players do.

In the end this "I love Arsenal" stuff is all clap trap, its business as usual.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsene Nose » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:49 pm

starmandb wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:Strategic mistake from Emery. Never turn on the club icon immediately. If he gets off to a bad start, the fans will quickly sour on him. He’s put himself in a dicey situation for no reason. Should’ve made verbal guarantees to Wilshere.

Stewart Robson was a fantastic midfielder who proved himself as a versatile full back ( even occasional centre back) he had been at arsenal since he was a 14 year old schoolboy but injurys done for him and after half a season of largely being frozen out george graham sold him.
Within a month of joining arsenal george graham decided he didn't fancy Martin keown who had been at the club 6 years since joining as a 14 year old schoolboy
He sold him to Aston villa
Resigned him from Everton nearly 7 years later
Keown won a trophy with graham and several more with Wenger
Icon ?
Many didn't even realise keown had been here before
Too busy celebrating the 6 trophys that graham won in the interim
Fans want winners
Not dogs dinners
No room for sentiment
Just hard nosed business

Fascinating insight. It happens I suppose.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:58 am

West Ham are only willing to offer English midfielder Jack Wilshere a one-year contract because they have reservations over the fitness of the 26-year-old whose Arsenal contract expires this summer, putting a move in doubt. (Sun)
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:07 am

Ach wrote:
West Ham are only willing to offer English midfielder Jack Wilshere a one-year contract because they have reservations over the fitness of the 26-year-old whose Arsenal contract expires this summer, putting a move in doubt. (Sun)

So ............... (awkward)

But apparently we should of paid him his £150m with bells, whistles and a guaranteed 1st team start?

Looks like a desperate West Ham has even more business sense than "some" of our own fans? surely a player such as this Arsenal icon and don't forget the "catchment area" warrants at least a 3 year contract offer?

It seems the Arsenal bubble is real.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:10 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Ach wrote:

So ............... (awkward)

But apparently we should of paid him his £150m with bells, whistles and a guaranteed 1st team start?

Looks like a desperate West Ham has even more business sense than "some" of our own fans? surely a player such as this Arsenal icon and don't forget the "catchment area" warrants at least a 3 year contract offer?

It seems the Arsenal bubble is real.

Just shows how mollycoddled this lot was with daddy Wenger.

Reality check time.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby LMAO » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:38 am

Only one more week until this thread can finally be moved to the Football Forum (probably Domestic Football) section :cheerleader:
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Arsene Nose » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:05 am

And rightly so. West Ham don’t owe jack any thing. But it’s different with Arsenal give his loyalty. The club should reciprocate it. But let’s be honest, ethics have gone out the window since Wenger left.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club