Mertesacker must go this summer

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mertesacker must go this summer

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:36 pm

If we keep him it should be as the fourth or fifth CB ... he should expect to play no more than League and FA cup games or in case of a whole string of injuries .... if he's anywhere near are starting eleven we will be going backwards ... that's not his fault just the inescapable march of time ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby OptimusPrimett » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:38 pm

ah god no are you kidding
OptimusPrimett
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Angelito » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:37 pm

Zenith wrote:Neutral about this decision until I've seen a couple of games of his to see if he still has something worthwhile to add on the field.

Here's where I stand.

Next season, we're most likely to send Holding on loan, so it'd make sense to have Kosc, Mustafi, Gabs, and Per in the squad. Chambers, I don't know. He can stay as a back-up RB, even though I think he's a CB, or continue his loan spell.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby diesel » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:59 pm

KG3 wrote:
"Cazorla and Mertesacker's contract renewal does not depend on their fitness," Wenger told the club's official website.

"We have an option on both of them and I think we will take it.

"We want to keep them for their qualities as football players firstly but as well for their mental guidance. We need to have a balance between youth and experience. They are important in that."

How does everyone feel about Mertesacker getting a new contract extension?

Very important player for us over the years but when you consider the fact that he'll be 33 in September and his fitness issues I don't see the point especially when we'll have Mustafi, Koscielny, Gabriel, Chambers, Holding and Bielik to choose from next season that's 6 other centre backs for two positions, obviously he's better than some of the younger ones but having him here only stalls their progression because it means less game time for them.

IMO we should thank him for his services and let go, Wenger seems to be developing a habit of holding onto players for too long lately Arteta and Rosicky for instance picked up pay checks for nothing during their final season with us, although that used to be his main problem in the past the likes of Campbell, Gilberto and Pires etc were let go even though they still 1 or 2 seasons left in them, Wenger needs to find the balance between letting them go too early and letting them overstay their welcome.

I generally rate any footballer firstly on their technical ability and secondly on their application. doesn't often come on my radar about importance of their communicative skills. My dilemma with Per is that I do not rate him for one second technically (no pace, cant read a game imo and pretty weak in the tackle and I don't see him as a combative defender), but I feel he is a good communicator and Arsenal sadly and badly lack good communicators. For that reason I would keep him round the club but not on the pitch.
diesel
Charlie George
Charlie George

Mertesacker must go this summer

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:40 pm

KG3 wrote:
"Cazorla and Mertesacker's contract renewal does not depend on their fitness," Wenger told the club's official website.

"We have an option on both of them and I think we will take it.

"We want to keep them for their qualities as football players firstly but as well for their mental guidance. We need to have a balance between youth and experience. They are important in that."

How does everyone feel about Mertesacker getting a new contract extension?

Very important player for us over the years but when you consider the fact that he'll be 33 in September and his fitness issues I don't see the point especially when we'll have Mustafi, Koscielny, Gabriel, Chambers, Holding and Bielik to choose from next season that's 6 other centre backs for two positions, obviously he's better than some of the younger ones but having him here only stalls their progression because it means less game time for them.

IMO we should thank him for his services and let go, Wenger seems to be developing a habit of holding onto players for too long lately Arteta and Rosicky for instance picked up pay checks for nothing during their final season with us, although that used to be his main problem in the past the likes of Campbell, Gilberto and Pires etc were let go even though they still 1 or 2 seasons left in them, Wenger needs to find the balance between letting them go too early and letting them overstay their welcome.

If santi and per go and aren't replaced our squad is weaker. We have mustafi, kos and gabs ahead of merts he's fine as 4th choice imo. Holding and chambers won't develop sat on the bench so i say keep merts as fourth choice and send both out on loan next season.

Similarly even if santi only plays a handful of games, he's quality cover for ozil.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby ESR10 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:46 pm

Agree with the posters above, as 4th choice he's fine. If he wants to play more, then he should go.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby UFGN » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:02 pm

MENTAL GUIDANCE YANAR

f**k off Wenger

Obviously you don't give Mertesacker an extension. f***ing obviously.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby KG3 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:29 pm

KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gooney » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:20 pm

This club always make players stay longer than they should. We have never sold a player at the right time unless they actually asked for a move like pires or gervinho
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Sims » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:36 pm

Pointless move
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Gunpowder » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:45 pm

Loan Holding and I'm fine with Per staying.
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsene Nose » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Per is finished. Should not even think about playing him. He was crap at his peak, cant imagine how he is now after not having played for six months.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Cripps » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:11 pm

Good move.

Excellent defender for us and our captain.

Hope the injury hasn't taken too much out of him. Him and Mustafi our best CB pairing and haven't played a minute together this season
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:38 am

Honestly forgot he was still at the club.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Angelito » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:49 am

Gunpowder wrote:Loan Holding and I'm fine with Per staying.

^

And, send Chambers for another loan spell.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk