Mertesacker must go this summer

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Mertesacker must go this summer

Postby Welsh Gunner » Sun May 31, 2015 8:28 am

Had Benteke in his pocket for the entire game yesterday. He's still a top notch defender IF we play to his strength's and don't play a suicidal high line. Having Coquelin sweeping in front of him since the turn of the year has helped immeasurably.
Welsh Gunner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Santi » Sun May 31, 2015 8:37 am

Was proper dogshit early in the season but has looked a lot better with his buddy back and Coq in front.

Probably was tired from the WC and sick of playing next to a new partner every week, even if Nacho did actually outshine him.

#WelcomeBackMerts

+What Brandon said.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Sun May 31, 2015 11:07 am

Really hope he can keep up his form despite getting older. I would bring in a fourth choice like Gabriel regardless though. Send Chambers out on loan.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Sun May 31, 2015 11:19 am

People presume hes good because he looks the part. But actually he's really not all that, and hasn't really ever been. He was a cheap option when we bought him from Bremen and i still feel that price was the main factor in Wenger choosing him. I saw him play live when he was at Bremen and commented at the time that he was nothing special.

He's made a positive contribution to the club but overall, he's not good enough.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Angelito » Sun May 31, 2015 11:21 am

What Per lacks physically, he makes it with his intelligence. He's one of the most intelligent defenders out there. That's what makes him successful at Arsenal and his pair with Kosc arguably the second best in the PL.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Tarquinius » Sun May 31, 2015 11:22 am

Pudpop wrote:Really hope he can keep up his form despite getting older. I would bring in a fourth choice like Gabriel regardless though. Send Chambers out on loan.

I'd take advantage of Real Madrid's flux and bring in Varane to partner Koscielny. Mert and Gabriel back up, with Chambers loaned back to Southampton.
Tarquinius
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby jules_w » Sun May 31, 2015 11:31 am

Why do people think Varane will become available? Madrid would be soooo dumb in selling him..
jules_w
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Tarquinius » Sun May 31, 2015 11:37 am

jules_w wrote:Why do people think Varane will become available? Madrid would be soooo dumb in selling him..

1. Same was said about Di Maria last season.

2. Benitez will want to bring in new players, and he is likely to target defence & midfield.

3. Madrid are renowned for making dumb decisions e.g. Makelele, Del Bosque, Ancelotti.
Tarquinius
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Pudpop » Sun May 31, 2015 4:21 pm

If there's one team in world football that would be stupid enough to sell Varane it's Real
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Callum » Sun May 31, 2015 5:35 pm

He's been quietly good for weeks and is still a great centre-back in my eyes. I like Gabriel too and think he has the ability to become a first-team regular for us next season but for now Mertesacker should remain as our starting centre-back alongside Koscielny.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby KG3 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:29 am

"Cazorla and Mertesacker's contract renewal does not depend on their fitness," Wenger told the club's official website.

"We have an option on both of them and I think we will take it.

"We want to keep them for their qualities as football players firstly but as well for their mental guidance. We need to have a balance between youth and experience. They are important in that."

How does everyone feel about Mertesacker getting a new contract extension?

Very important player for us over the years but when you consider the fact that he'll be 33 in September and his fitness issues I don't see the point especially when we'll have Mustafi, Koscielny, Gabriel, Chambers, Holding and Bielik to choose from next season that's 6 other centre backs for two positions, obviously he's better than some of the younger ones but having him here only stalls their progression because it means less game time for them.

IMO we should thank him for his services and let go, Wenger seems to be developing a habit of holding onto players for too long lately Arteta and Rosicky for instance picked up pay checks for nothing during their final season with us, although that used to be his main problem in the past the likes of Campbell, Gilberto and Pires etc were let go even though they still 1 or 2 seasons left in them, Wenger needs to find the balance between letting them go too early and letting them overstay their welcome.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:05 am

another one who will be kept too long, should be gone in the summer ffs
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:08 am

Neutral about this decision until I've seen a couple of games of his to see if he still has something worthwhile to add on the field.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Pudpop » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:22 am

I can understand giving him a one year contract if we loan out holding next season.

Otherwise he must go
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Cripps » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:06 pm

Must keep
Cripps
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk