Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (15)

Postby gooney » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:53 pm

hs6bx wrote:I don't think it's harsh to criticise Ox given that he has performed poorly over the last couple of years when he's had an opportunity. However, some people seem to think he is a poor player or that his attitude is poor. I disagree with this wholeheartedly - He is actually one of the most talented players in the squad, but seems to be suffering from a severe lack of confidence. We have all seen what he can do at his best - let us not forget that a young, fearless Ox bossed the game in the middle of the park against, at the time, a very good AC Milan side. Now, I'm not for a second suggesting that talent alone is enough, because it isn't, but he does work hard too, and this alone makes him a better candidate for the starting line up against the teams where we concede more possession given that Walcott and Iwobi seem 'lost' when we don't have the ball. I think personally we should be giving him an extended run in the first team - an out of form Ox is having his best season in terms of goals and assists. Having said this, I reckon he may be better off leaving in order to regain his confidence and fulfil some of that potential.

loool he is speed merchant who technical ability looks better for people who has watched walcott 10 years. He has no vision, very poor football intelligence and is mentally very weak. I can understand people who saw him at 17 and thought he could be something....hell I was one of them. But 3 years later when I saw no improvement. I fell for another attribute player. He is 23 and last 6 years we have talked about what? POTENTIAL

Just like walcott, start of the season after few good games, people were saying Theo has finally reached the next level lool. ox is just a midtable player. If we had Zhana at Arsenal and he played 150+ games....you telling me he would have 10 good games and score 12-14 goals in those matches?
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby hs6bx » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Got absolutely no idea how to reply to your posts guys (could do with a pointer here), but in response...

Arsene Nose: That's nonsense. He doesn't have any consistency or much confidence at the moment, but to mistake that for being shit is ridiculous! He's better on and off the ball than both Iwobi and Walcott. He is more direct and is capable of beating a man in the final third and making something happen, as indeed he has done sporadically this season.

Gooney: You're right, he hasn't improved to the degree that we all hoped he would yet, and maybe he won't under Arsene Wenger, but to suggest he isn't a talented footballer seems crazy to me! I'm sure I'll be vindicated one day soon, but none of us can read the future. After all, Steve Bruce once said that Bendtner will be one of the best players in the world. As for Walcott - we could swap him with road runner and you would never know the difference.
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Arsene Nose » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:43 pm

hs6bx wrote:Got absolutely no idea how to reply to your posts guys (could do with a pointer here), but in response...

Arsene Nose: That's nonsense. He doesn't have any consistency or much confidence at the moment, but to mistake that for being shit is ridiculous! He's better on and off the ball than both Iwobi and Walcott. He is more direct and is capable of beating a man in the final third and making something happen, as indeed he has done sporadically this season.

Gooney: You're right, he hasn't improved to the degree that we all hoped he would yet, and maybe he won't under Arsene Wenger, but to suggest he isn't a talented footballer seems crazy to me! I'm sure I'll be vindicated one day soon, but none of us can read the future. After all, Steve Bruce once said that Bendtner will be one of the best players in the world. As for Walcott - we could swap him with road runner and you would never know the difference.

He looks like an academy player at 23 and with 5 years first team experience under his belt. Iwobi who is three years younger has passed him. If he were Spanish he'd be playing in the second division. It's only the homegrown player rule that gives these mediocre players premier league wages and chances.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gooney » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:33 am

hs6bx wrote:Got absolutely no idea how to reply to your posts guys (could do with a pointer here), but in response...

I blame wenger for many things, but to say he cant improve young talents is not one of them. As i said sooner or later a club has to make a decision on a player. Otherwise you can keep every young player just in case they become late bloomer and just hand them a new contract after a new one until yhey are 30 just to be short. Sure there is a small chance he could become a great player and I am wrong. But history suggest a player who broke through 17-18 and show very little improvement by 23 doesnt suddenly become great. We as Arsenal fans should know that more than any club. look at Denilson, Walcott, Senderos, Djourou, Bendtner, Schezny......which of these players reached a whole new level from 18-19 to their mid/late 20s? Now he has a celeb girlfriend and reports are she is gonna help him with his DJ career which is his dream. Another warning sign that his head is not where it should be. We are at a stage where the club is forced to make a decision. Extend his contract and he is on 80k right now....or sell him on and sign a new player.

Problem is we are not good enough to win the league right now. so we have to sign new players and to do that we have to make space for them in the squad as we actually have a big squad. Here is our attackers/wide men. Chamberlain, Walcott, perez, Sanchez, Welbeck, Giroud and iwobi. Thats 7 players fighting for 3 spots.....thats without counting ramsey and Ozil. Also Wilshere coming back. So the squad in terms of numbers is deep. But we need more quality and to do that we have to sacrifice players. The only logical reason someone can give me for keeping ox is ebcause he is english and with the HG rule. But there is no one who can logically tell me Chamberlain deserve to be here more than any of the players I mentioned.
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsene Nose » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:43 pm

gooney wrote:

I blame wenger for many things, but to say he cant improve young talents is not one of them. As i said sooner or later a club has to make a decision on a player. Otherwise you can keep every young player just in case they become late bloomer and just hand them a new contract after a new one until yhey are 30 just to be short. Sure there is a small chance he could become a great player and I am wrong. But history suggest a player who broke through 17-18 and show very little improvement by 23 doesnt suddenly become great. We as Arsenal fans should know that more than any club. look at Denilson, Walcott, Senderos, Djourou, Bendtner, Schezny......which of these players reached a whole new level from 18-19 to their mid/late 20s? Now he has a celeb girlfriend and reports are she is gonna help him with his DJ career which is his dream. Another warning sign that his head is not where it should be. We are at a stage where the club is forced to make a decision. Extend his contract and he is on 80k right now....or sell him on and sign a new player.

Problem is we are not good enough to win the league right now. so we have to sign new players and to do that we have to make space for them in the squad as we actually have a big squad. Here is our attackers/wide men. Chamberlain, Walcott, perez, Sanchez, Welbeck, Giroud and iwobi. Thats 7 players fighting for 3 spots.....thats without counting ramsey and Ozil. Also Wilshere coming back. So the squad in terms of numbers is deep. But we need more quality and to do that we have to sacrifice players. The only logical reason someone can give me for keeping ox is ebcause he is english and with the HG rule. But there is no one who can logically tell me Chamberlain deserve to be here more than any of the players I mentioned.

Rest assured he's not becoming a great player so you can sleep in peace. His problem is not injuries or lack of opportunity. It's lack of application. This guy started off at one of the country's best academies, got picked up by one of Europe's biggest clubs in his teens, got paid a senior wage despite being an academy level player, trained with the best in the business and was protected by Wenger...and yet. He cant pass, link up with players or make good decisions. He's actually gone backwards as there was a hint of quality to his game 3-4 seasons ago. Now it's just kick and rush. Will do fine at Aston Villa but no chance at Arsenal.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby gooney » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:29 pm

When standards has been dropped so much that poor becomes great

http://news.arseblog.com/2017/01/attack ... m=facebook

An article about his much improved scoring with 6 in 27....we have a player on our hands guys. yippie
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby MecurialGooner » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:12 pm

If he wasn't English, he wouldn't be playing routinely or even be considered for the 1st team in any serious top 8 premier league team. That is the reality. 23 years old and still barely improved since he was 17. Regression is the status quo at Arsenal (for the English core). Iwobi is already twice the player.
MecurialGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby LMAO » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:38 am

Wait until Iwobi hits the regression that so many of our younger players are known for.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby gooney » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:54 am

If theo is young and has potential. Then ox is a baby
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Pudpop » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:22 am

Brandon wrote:Wait until Iwobi hits the regression that so many of our younger players are known for.

Hopefully his formative years won't be with Wenger
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsene Nose » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Pudpop wrote:
Brandon wrote:Wait until Iwobi hits the regression that so many of our younger players are known for.

Erm...his formative years? He's turning 21. I'd say his formative years have already been with Wenger.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Pudpop » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:28 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

Erm...his formative years? He's turning 21. I'd say his formative years have already been with Wenger.

Iwobi only joined the first team a year ago though. 22 and 23 are also important. A 2-year contract for Wenger means that Iwobi's career is ruined but if AW leaves now he still has a chance
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:30 pm

The man who developed Henry, Bergkamp, Fabregas, little Cesc, RVP is going to ruin Iwobi's career? You mad, fam? ARE YOU MAD?
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Big17 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:35 pm

He's actually spot on with everything he's said. It's a shame he's spent years trying out different positions instead of being played to his strengths. He's definitely picked it up this season and has looked a much bigger threat.

I've said numerous times he's lacked coaching. Wenger should of seen this years ago and built to his strengths :BangHead:

By the end of October, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain had already topped his best goals tally for a single season with us, but he had not finished there.
A last-gasp cross for Olivier Giroud just six minutes after coming on at Old Trafford helped us secure a vital point against Manchester United, while he also assisted against Sunderland, Stoke City and West Ham United, scoring a stunning strike at London Stadium in the process.

So what has changed? For Oxlade-Chamberlain, it was all about learning from the world-class players around him.
“When you’re playing in a team like Arsenal and there are talented players all over the pitch, you just have to rely on them to find you when you make runs,” he told the Arsenal Magazine.
“In the past maybe where I’ve been more of a midfielder than a forward, I was more used to coming to the ball and wanting to get the ball, so I was picking up the ball maybe in deeper positions and not in behind the defence, which is obviously where you’re the biggest threat.
“This year I’ve just worked mostly on making runs in behind and just trusting the boys to find you with balls over the top. That’s when you unlock them and when you’re most dangerous so I think for me personally, what I’ve worked on the most this season is not coming towards the ball as much.
“That wasn’t always a natural part of my game. As I said, being more of a midfielder I was always more lingering on the edge of the box for the ball to come back out or being the person that’s crossing the ball, so I’ve tried to work on getting into more dangerous positions and scoring more goals this year.”

Read more at http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... KVpHy7v.99
Big17
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby gooney » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:39 pm

Pudpop wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

Iwobi only joined the first team a year ago though. 22 and 23 are also important. A 2-year contract for Wenger means that Iwobi's career is ruined but if AW leaves now he still has a chance

Wenger made iwobi.....hell before he was moved to first team, I never seen anyone say lets move him from the reserves. The guy came from nowhere and wenger is the one who saw his potential. I cant think of a single player wenger has ruined. I can mention 10 average talents that he has got more of than anyone expected
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football