Re: Theo Walcott announces retirement from football

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Theo Walcott (14)

Postby Cripps » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:27 pm

I'm all for buying better players to replace any of our players.

Until then Theo is the best of what we got
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Kite33 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:55 pm

I would give southampton 20mio plus walcott for redmond or traore from middlesbrough
Kite33
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby knowledge93 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:56 pm

Cripps wrote:I'm all for buying better players to replace any of our players.

Until then Theo is the best of what we got

I doubt you would be happy buying anyone to replace Theo.
knowledge93
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby ArkGunner » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:00 pm

We need real wingers. Theo just didn't cut it in our formations. Partly our fault, IMO. We went from 2 striker set to a 1 striker with 5 midfield and tried to make him be a winger. Maybe he would have worked out better if we truly had a two striker formation. He is definitely not a winger. We haven't had real wingers since lundberg and pires, IMO. They knew how to position themselves when attacking. They were great a making runs to draw defenders and runs that left the other open at the back post for tapins. Watch old footage of the invincible years look how many goals were tapins, yet theo is miles faster than either of those two wingers. Doesn't make since that he couldn't do the same. Instead most of the time theo stands with his hands in the air, mad because no one passed it to him.
ArkGunner
Patrick Vieira

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:35 pm

knowledge93 wrote:Using guys like Ox, Iwobi (if he improved his end product he would be a good player), Welbeck and Wilshire as a reason to why Theo is a really good player is not really a good measuring stick. These are players who people don't want anywhere near our first team.

So back in the real world where this bunch are our actual options.

No one said him being better than them means he's a top player, what was said (or at least what I said) is that is what our current options are.

You may not want any of them near the first team ........... great, are you buying us players to replace them, no!

What's your answer, to play none of them? play with 10 men?

Everyone here has said if we get Mahrez, Lemar or anyone then we can talk about who's first off the bench for our forward positions but until then your not offering anything worth talking about apart from slating probably our best bench option and if Sanchez goes he may even be a starter or competing for starter with the likes of all those mentioned, which at best is not just slim pickings but an actual detriment to our season.

"If" Wenger pulls his finger out and gets us a winger this whole convo is mute but until then ...........
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby indy23 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:24 pm

Frustrating player. Probably will come up with some timely goals next year tho.
indy23
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby knowledge93 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:30 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
knowledge93 wrote:Using guys like Ox, Iwobi (if he improved his end product he would be a good player), Welbeck and Wilshire as a reason to why Theo is a really good player is not really a good measuring stick. These are players who people don't want anywhere near our first team.

No one said him being better than them means he's a top player, what was said (or at least what I said) is that is what our current options are.

You may not want any of them near the first team ........... great, are you buying us players to replace them, no!

Everyone here has said if we get Mahrez, Lemar or anyone then we can talk about who's first off the bench for our forward positions but until then your not offering anything worth talking about apart from slating probably our best bench option and if Sanchez goes he may even be a starter or competing for starter with the likes of all those mentioned, which at best is not just slim pickings but an actual detriment to our season.

"If" Wenger pulls his finger out and gets us a winger this whole convo is mute but until then ...........

You have missed the point. Did you just skip over my entire first paragraph where I said he should be a squad player and is useful in certain matches?

Talking about him being a top player was more in response to one particular poster who loves every little thing Theo does.
knowledge93
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:38 pm

knowledge93 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

You have missed the point. Did you just skip over my entire first paragraph where I said he should be a squad player and is useful in certain matches?

Talking about him being a top player was more in response to one particular poster who loves every little thing Theo does.

................. and my response was is he "just a squad player" if we sell Sanchez and don't replace him i.e don't get Lemar, Mahrez or anyone?

What is Theo to the squad then? the squad we actually have.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby knowledge93 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:42 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
knowledge93 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

................. and my response was is he "just a squad player" if we sell Sanchez and don't replace him i.e don't get Lemar, Mahrez or anyone?

We haven't sold Sanchez yet so until that bridge is crossed then Theo is still a useful squad player who chips in with goals.
knowledge93
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Alexis » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:47 pm

squad players earning over 100k +...only at arsenal
Alexis
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:50 pm

knowledge93 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
knowledge93 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

We haven't sold Sanchez yet so until that bridge is crossed then Theo is still a useful squad player who chips in with goals.

Sanchez stays ............ who's first off the bench to sub for him?

People here are calling for Theo to be sold before we've got a solid back up option for Sanchez.

If Theo was to be sold the option is Iwobi or Welbeck.

Look I hate Giroud more than rabies, but even I realised the fact that currently without buying another striker ......... who comes on for Lacazette? just Welbeck?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby MesutOzil11 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:59 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
knowledge93 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
knowledge93 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

People here are calling for Theo to be sold before we've got a solid back up option for Sanchez.

Solid?

He has 7 PL goals when he's come off the bench in his career. You call that solid?

If that doesn't tell you that he goes ghost mode when he comes on then nothing will.
MesutOzil11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby knowledge93 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:02 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
knowledge93 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
knowledge93 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

If Theo was to be sold the option is Iwobi or Welbeck.

Look I hate Giroud more than rabies, but even I realised the fact that currently without buying another striker ......... who comes on for Lacazette? just Welbeck?

I haven't called for Theo to get sold cos at the moment we have no one coming in. Even if another winger better than him came in I would still keep him just for the fact that he gets goals. Having subs who get goals is huge over a season.

There's other players who should be sold and replaced with better ones before we think of getting rid of Theo.
knowledge93
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby ESR10 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:13 pm

Can someone (starman) please compare between Theo and Welbz regarding the numbers of goals coming off the bench in how many games/minutes? I do suspect that Welbz is more effective as a sub
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:38 pm

Its not just coming off the bench though its starting games when we're resting Sanchez or playing low competition, Sanchez hates being hauled off in games anyway.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club