Reputation of Arsenal Football Club

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Reputation of Arsenal Football Club

Postby LMAO » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:47 pm

Spurs have made the CL quarters more recently than we have, and they haven't been in the CL the past four seasons, including this one. Let that sink in for a moment.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:52 pm

That is a hellacious stat. Lolz.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby LMAO » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:54 pm

At least our reputation as a consistent club is spot on.

From 2004-05 season:

From Beginning of Season to End of January:
145-58-53 | 493 points | 1.93 ppg

From Beginning of February to End of Season:
93-38-33 | 317 points | 1.93 ppg

Historically going back 11 seasons, we actually perform the exact same up until the end of January as we do after January. Too bad it's still not enough to challenge, though. With a 1.93 ppg, that's only good for 73.34 points per season, which is nowhere near enough to challenge for the PL title.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby sweggeh » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:55 pm

Brandon wrote:At least our reputation as a consistent club is spot on.

From 2004-05 season:

From Beginning of Season to End of January:
145-58-53 | 493 points | 1.93 ppg

From Beginning of February to End of Season:
93-38-33 | 317 points | 1.93 ppg

Historically going back 11 seasons, we actually perform the exact same up until the end of January as we do after January. Too bad it's still not enough to challenge, though. With a 1.93 ppg, that's only good for 73.34 points per season, which is nowhere near enough to challenge for the PL title.

Thats eerie. At least we got 79 points last season and will hopefully better that this year. Progress is being made ever since the purse strings opened up.
sweggeh
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby LMAO » Sat May 30, 2015 7:42 pm

FA Cup record holders!

Now let's show the world we mean business by getting a class forward, defensive midfielder to rotate with Le Coq, goalkeeper, and an experienced fourth choice centerback. Onward to a PL and CL challenge!
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LMAO » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:24 pm

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3340341/why-would-top-players-want-to-sign-for-arsenal-no-success-or-ambition-mean-gunners-are-not-an-attractive-club/

THIERRY HENRY Sadly, the world’s best no longer want to sign for Arsenal… and why would they want to?

IT kills me to say this as an Arsenal fan, but my old club are not an attractive destination any more for the top, top players.

Why would the leading players who can have a real impact in the Premier League and improve that Arsenal team come to the Emirates?

And I don’t base this on the fact that Arsenal look like they won’t qualify for the Champions League next season.

Not being in the Champions League didn’t stop N’Golo Kante joining Chelsea from Leicester last summer.

It didn’t stop Zlatan Ibrahimovic joining Manchester United. Kante was the hottest thing on the market last summer — and he chose to join Chelsea, not Arsenal who also wanted him.

The Gunners had finished second in the Premier League, Chelsea in mid-table but still the brilliant little midfielder chose the Blues — and it turns out, he was not wrong. He is about to win the league and possibly a Double.

All the elite players want to play in the Champions League — you want to test yourself against the best — but he decided that a season out of it was not going to kill his career.

But it is a factor when you are deciding where to move to.

It’s hard to compare eras but when I was at Arsenal in my early days there was a lot of interest in joining the club.

And we could compete financially — maybe not with Manchester United — but with the rest.

But now the money is spread about due to the TV deal and lots of clubs can compete for the top players.

So you need to offer something else, to show that you can satisfy the expectations of leading talent.

Yes, wages come into it. It is a job after all and as a player you get what you can — like anyone in any walk of life.

But competition for trophies is the key. If you are a director of football and you work for Arsenal, how do you attract a big player?

I’m not suggesting people aren’t doing their jobs at Arsenal — just that selling the club has become increasingly difficult over the last two or three years.

I don’t see anything to attract the big players.

The club has money, we are told, so the wages must be on offer. And yes, London is great, the stadium is great.

But it’s not just money, London or a shiny stadium. It’s the chances of success.

How do you make superstars join when Barca, Real, Munich are sniffing about?

I don’t know why Kante ended up at Chelsea but he didn’t think Arsenal was a solution for him.

Ironically, last season he lost twice to the Gunners — but still didn’t want to join.

Jamie Vardy refused to join Arsenal too. He preferred to stay at Leicester.

If Man United had come in for Vardy would he have joined them? That’s an interesting question.

Apparently Arsenal have £200million to spend in the summer. But who are they going to get?

Every club has a wish list with first choices, second choices and so on.

I don’t know who has been on Arsenal’s list over recent years but I’m sure that some of the players who joined were not top of their list.

You work with what you can get of course. But Arsenal are not just up against the Barcas, Reals and Manchester Uniteds. Now Juventus are back paying big fees, Paris Saint-Germain are spending.

What can Arsenal put on the table to beat those teams to talent? It won’t help that there is uncertainty over the two star players in Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez.

Are they staying or going? Other players will look at that and wonder why they are hesitating to commit to the club.

And, of course, players talk to each other. If Neymar called Sanchez tomorrow and said: ‘Should I join Arsenal?’ what would he say?

You try to find out what a club is like. And when you’re with the national team it comes up.

The feedback at the moment from Arsenal wouldn’t be great. You only need to look at the results to determine that.

To be attractive again they have to win titles again.

Easier said than done of course, but when you win, you’re sexy.

Success attracts top players. It’s contagious. And then when you lose that becomes a disease too. Arsene said recently that there is only one club in London.

And yes, for me there is. I’m an Arsenal fan. I will die saying that.

But you need to be honest. For Kante there was more than one club in London and he chose Chelsea.

And he wasn’t looking at past successes, trophy cabinets or history, but how attractive the move was.

Kante is not an Arsenal fan or a Chelsea fan, he’s a fan of winning. And he clearly made the right choice.

There’s even another team down the road in London who some people might see as a promising destination now — although I don’t know why!

Henry has a point. We've fallen to the point where even Jamie Vardy rejects us.

Wenger re-signing will be Arsenal's death knell. The damage will be complete. Ozil and Sanchez were supposed to be statements signaling our return to the top and no longer being a selling club. Yet, here we are once again with our best players running down their contracts.

The players have changed and many teams have been built, but we're still in the same position we always are: fighting for a Champions League spot and failing to challenge for top honors. Other players see this now. Ozil and Sanchez didn't help; they came because they had nowhere else to go when they left Real and Barca, respectively. Now, even our 'saviors' are going to leave because of the nonexistent ambition to be one of the top clubs from owner, board, and manager.

Arsenal used to be respected and admired as a club but has since become a joke to the football world. The club is ridiculed in real life and on the internet. I'd relish being hated and envied because that'd mean we're doing something right, but when even Spurs fans want Wenger to stay...well, that says it all really. Sadly though, it gets worse; now, West Brom and Crystal Palace fans are taking the piss out of us, going as far as chanting, "Olé!" while they embarrass us on the field.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Luzh 22 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:07 am

Yup, and every season he stays, it's only going to get worse.

The reputation of the club is already dwindling fast. It could very well take years and years from the point we've come to, to attract the calibre of player we need to, to be challenging for honours.

But, I whole heartedly believe this is what the club (management) desires. They want to maximise revenue with minimal investment. We only need to look at Kroenke's other teams (franchises) to see how he let's things tick over in 2nd gear.

Presuming I'm wrong about the above (I don't know why he'd run Arsenal any different than any of his other clubs), and Kroenke wants to invest, so that the club can compete. I still think that at this point, unless we get a master tactician as next manager, we're 5-6 years of good recruitment away from seriously challenging for honours, given how much the club could invest each season without going into the red.

Club is a mess right now.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby diesel » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:26 am

Brandon wrote:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3340341/why-would-top-players-want-to-sign-for-arsenal-no-success-or-ambition-mean-gunners-are-not-an-attractive-club/

THIERRY HENRY Sadly, the world’s best no longer want to sign for Arsenal… and why would they want to?

IT kills me to say this as an Arsenal fan, but my old club are not an attractive destination any more for the top, top players.

Why would the leading players who can have a real impact in the Premier League and improve that Arsenal team come to the Emirates?

And I don’t base this on the fact that Arsenal look like they won’t qualify for the Champions League next season.

Not being in the Champions League didn’t stop N’Golo Kante joining Chelsea from Leicester last summer.

It didn’t stop Zlatan Ibrahimovic joining Manchester United. Kante was the hottest thing on the market last summer — and he chose to join Chelsea, not Arsenal who also wanted him.

The Gunners had finished second in the Premier League, Chelsea in mid-table but still the brilliant little midfielder chose the Blues — and it turns out, he was not wrong. He is about to win the league and possibly a Double.

All the elite players want to play in the Champions League — you want to test yourself against the best — but he decided that a season out of it was not going to kill his career.

But it is a factor when you are deciding where to move to.

It’s hard to compare eras but when I was at Arsenal in my early days there was a lot of interest in joining the club.

And we could compete financially — maybe not with Manchester United — but with the rest.

But now the money is spread about due to the TV deal and lots of clubs can compete for the top players.

So you need to offer something else, to show that you can satisfy the expectations of leading talent.

Yes, wages come into it. It is a job after all and as a player you get what you can — like anyone in any walk of life.

But competition for trophies is the key. If you are a director of football and you work for Arsenal, how do you attract a big player?

I’m not suggesting people aren’t doing their jobs at Arsenal — just that selling the club has become increasingly difficult over the last two or three years.

I don’t see anything to attract the big players.

The club has money, we are told, so the wages must be on offer. And yes, London is great, the stadium is great.

But it’s not just money, London or a shiny stadium. It’s the chances of success.

How do you make superstars join when Barca, Real, Munich are sniffing about?

I don’t know why Kante ended up at Chelsea but he didn’t think Arsenal was a solution for him.

Ironically, last season he lost twice to the Gunners — but still didn’t want to join.

Jamie Vardy refused to join Arsenal too. He preferred to stay at Leicester.

If Man United had come in for Vardy would he have joined them? That’s an interesting question.

Apparently Arsenal have £200million to spend in the summer. But who are they going to get?

Every club has a wish list with first choices, second choices and so on.

I don’t know who has been on Arsenal’s list over recent years but I’m sure that some of the players who joined were not top of their list.

You work with what you can get of course. But Arsenal are not just up against the Barcas, Reals and Manchester Uniteds. Now Juventus are back paying big fees, Paris Saint-Germain are spending.

What can Arsenal put on the table to beat those teams to talent? It won’t help that there is uncertainty over the two star players in Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez.

Are they staying or going? Other players will look at that and wonder why they are hesitating to commit to the club.

And, of course, players talk to each other. If Neymar called Sanchez tomorrow and said: ‘Should I join Arsenal?’ what would he say?

You try to find out what a club is like. And when you’re with the national team it comes up.

The feedback at the moment from Arsenal wouldn’t be great. You only need to look at the results to determine that.

To be attractive again they have to win titles again.

Easier said than done of course, but when you win, you’re sexy.

Success attracts top players. It’s contagious. And then when you lose that becomes a disease too. Arsene said recently that there is only one club in London.

And yes, for me there is. I’m an Arsenal fan. I will die saying that.

But you need to be honest. For Kante there was more than one club in London and he chose Chelsea.

And he wasn’t looking at past successes, trophy cabinets or history, but how attractive the move was.

Kante is not an Arsenal fan or a Chelsea fan, he’s a fan of winning. And he clearly made the right choice.

There’s even another team down the road in London who some people might see as a promising destination now — although I don’t know why!

Henry has a point. We've fallen to the point where even Jamie Vardy rejects us.

Wenger re-signing will be Arsenal's death knell. The damage will be complete. Ozil and Sanchez were supposed to be statements signaling our return to the top and no longer being a selling club. Yet, here we are once again with our best players running down their contracts.

The players have changed and many teams have been built, but we're still in the same position we always are: fighting for a Champions League spot and failing to challenge for top honors. Other players see this now. Ozil and Sanchez didn't help; they came because they had nowhere else to go when they left Real and Barca, respectively. Now, even our 'saviors' are going to leave because of the nonexistent ambition to be one of the top clubs from owner, board, and manager.

Arsenal used to be respected and admired as a club but has since become a joke to the football world. The club is ridiculed in real life and on the internet. I'd relish being hated and envied because that'd mean we're doing something right, but when even Spurs fans want Wenger to stay...well, that says it all really. Sadly though, it gets worse; now, West Brom and Crystal Palace fans are taking the piss out of us, going as far as chanting, "Olé!" while they embarrass us on the field.

jesus. really painful to read as an Arsenal fan but spot on. wenker has to get out. weve sunk so low. mess should have been addressed 8-9 years ago but weve got to start somewhere. ill get to remaining games this season purely down to masochistic reasons in a zombie-like trance but if wenker signs/has resigned i cannot bring myself to going next season, much as it will break my heart.
diesel
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Nuggets » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:28 am

Going down hill by the minute.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Santi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:38 am

and like a phoenix...we will rise, under the guidance of master wenger!
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:30 am

Henry has said there what we've all known for years, and what Wenger's loverboys have tried to pretend isn't happening
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Sims » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:52 pm

Have we ever actually signed the World's best? Only 3 players with that reputation that have are probably Bergkamp, Alexis and Özil, two of which came after we haven't won a trophy in 10 years
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Nuggets » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:24 pm

UFGN wrote:Henry has said there what we've all known for years, and what Wenger's loverboys have tried to pretend isn't happening

:clap: :clap:
Nuggets

Postby Cripps » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Sims wrote:Have we ever actually signed the World's best? Only 3 players with that reputation that have are probably Bergkamp, Alexis and Özil, two of which came after we haven't won a trophy in 10 years

Sol?

He was England's best cb and all the top clubs wanted him
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Cripps wrote:
Sims wrote:Have we ever actually signed the World's best? Only 3 players with that reputation that have are probably Bergkamp, Alexis and Özil, two of which came after we haven't won a trophy in 10 years

Sol?

He was England's best cb and all the top clubs wanted him

Think Sol was obviously outstanding but being at Spurs in a time where the likes of Maldini, Nesta, Costacurta, Ciro Ferrara, Thuram, Cannavaro were knocking about; would you put him up there?

In terms of acquiring players in general I think English clubs struggle to sign straight out the World's best, can't really think of a player who was at the peak of their powers ever coming to England, it's usually the other way round. Di Maria maybe? MOTM in the CL final before joining United
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk