Are the fans letting the team down?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Are the fans letting the team down?

Postby sweggeh » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:47 am

Sorry to make another thread, but I haven't seen this discussed anywhere else.

Are the fans doing the best to help the team? Sometimes in games, especially last night, the fans seem to be silent and expectant rather than backing the team. Our atmosphere is pretty shit, like Moh said on Arsenal fan tv, the fans are the 12th man and we performed just as badly as the 11 on the pitch. Ours players were fucking up, and you could here discontent in the crowd the whole game with boos and groans everytime something went wrong, especially in the second half. Of course the fans have the right to criticise players, but leave that for after the game when the result is done and dusted. While the game is going on, its not in our interest to pile more pressure and tension on our own team.

A great atmosphere can be the difference between winning and losing a game. Are we doing enough?
sweggeh
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Re: Are the fans letting the team down?

Postby Big17 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:53 am

Yes - massively.

I mentioned it in the match day thread last night how quiet the crowd was.

The first 10 minutes in when we was on top the team should of been fully onto them spurring them on - Especially on a big Champions league night. Yet the entire crowd was muted and we had the occasional "Arsenal, arsenal, arsenal".

Poor from our fans last night.
Big17
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:05 am

Hard to have a good atmosphere when shi**e is served like last night

Yeah, our fans create little atmosphere. Was way better at Highbury

We're as bad as Chelsea in terms of atmosphere
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby TommyGoon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:24 am

When tickets are minimum 60 quid for games like this, you price out a lot of the real fans that make noise.
TommyGoon
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby starmandb » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:34 am

No
The fans are being let down by the manager
Highbury has become some kind of wonderland where it was always noisey and everyone shouted themselves horse for 90 mins then went home content
There have always been moaners and groaners and fans that sing and fans that don't
My mate who died last august had been going over there for 54 years
He took me to a game at Luton 40 years ago when I was 11
I never heard him sing an arsenal song in his life
Nobody cared or loved the club more than him
Different strokes for different folks
This club has a fantastic loyal fanbase and are being let down by a man who has become more and more Canute like in his refusal to deal with the changing tides in football
The fans are right to feel frustrated with the situation that has allowed clubs to keep exposing our weakness without taking steps to address it
I'm all for positivity but his ain't the Lego movie
It's only awesome when you try to make it so
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby greengoonerie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:57 pm

No.

The team and manager are letting the fans down.
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Gooner861 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:13 pm

greengoonerie wrote:No.

The team and manager are letting the fans down.

This 100%
Gooner861
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Sims » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:15 pm

The fans are a representation of the disappointment & underachievement of Arsenal Football Club in the last decade.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Drewgun » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:47 pm

I've always said the fans contribute to the way the team performs. Players are more likely to up the tempo and get an adrenaline rush from 60,000 fans urging them on and the Emirates has been pretty non existent for that. I've criticized Man Citys fans for being silent and not helping the side but i can't say we're much better. At the same time, there seems to be a huge amount of frustration and fed up looking faces and i can't blame them.. paying all of that money and receiving the same shit season after season.. i don't think i'd be in much of a cheery mood either.
Drewgun
Michael Thomas

Postby CukiZeGerman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:51 pm

When you have the most expensive season tickets in all of frickin' europe, then theres no wonder that the atmosphere is like it is.

It's no wonder that the Emirates is also called "The Library"
Hold the doooooor
CukiZeGerman
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby coach8smallball » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:40 pm

starmandb wrote:No
The fans are being let down by the manager
Highbury has become some kind of wonderland where it was always noisey and everyone shouted themselves horse for 90 mins then went home content
There have always been moaners and groaners and fans that sing and fans that don't
My mate who died last august had been going over there for 54 years
He took me to a game at Luton 40 years ago when I was 11
I never heard him sing an arsenal song in his life
Nobody cared or loved the club more than him
Different strokes for different folks
This club has a fantastic loyal fanbase and are being let down by a man who has become more and more Canute like in his refusal to deal with the changing tides in football
The fans are right to feel frustrated with the situation that has allowed clubs to keep exposing our weakness without taking steps to address it
I'm all for positivity but his ain't the Lego movie
It's only awesome when you try to make it so

^this.
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Dubs4Sam » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:46 pm

When you are favorites going into a match like that is the decible level you will get - you arrive expecting X and when you dont get it you get frustated not helpful.

Only when you are underdogs do you become active and try to get involved as you dont expect X but are hoping for it willing it to happen.

Arsenal bar a few fixtures a season are favorites.
Dubs4Sam
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Denis_E » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:10 pm

Sims wrote:The fans are a representation of the disappointment & underachievement of Arsenal Football Club in the last decade.

This

Again, fans pay highest prices in country, they're to blame somehow. The depth of disgracefulness of some people's thinking has no limits it seems
'A friend to all is a friend to none'
Denis_E
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby elkanofan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:32 pm

sweggeh wrote:Sorry to make another thread, but I haven't seen this discussed anywhere else.

Are the fans doing the best to help the team? Sometimes in games, especially last night, the fans seem to be silent and expectant rather than backing the team. Our atmosphere is pretty shit, like Moh said on Arsenal fan tv, the fans are the 12th man and we performed just as badly as the 11 on the pitch. Ours players were fucking up, and you could here discontent in the crowd the whole game with boos and groans everytime something went wrong, especially in the second half. Of course the fans have the right to criticise players, but leave that for after the game when the result is done and dusted. While the game is going on, its not in our interest to pile more pressure and tension on our own team.

A great atmosphere can be the difference between winning and losing a game. Are we doing enough?

Its a society issue and it shows up worse on us compared to any club bar probably united and that plastic CSKA team in west London.

Instant gratification, expecting to be given everything and looking to point blame when one thing goes wrong and forget why they support the team in the first place.

The palace fans on AFTV last week are right, we need a singing section we need our home fans to consistently get behind the team and create an atmosphere.

Hard to have a good atmosphere when shi**e is served like last night

Yeah, our fans create little atmosphere. Was way better at Highbury

We're as bad as Chelsea in terms of atmosphere

If i'm not mistaken they scored at 40 minutes, why didn't we create the atmosphere at kick off? We the fans need to look at bringing in changes.

Boca Juniors are the biggest club alongside River in Argentina and their fans get behind the team 100% every game for 90 minutes regardless if they are winning and losing.

This again is a issue with society, the club doesn't help by charging so much for tickets driving real fans away!

Lots of things wrong on all levels when it comes to how we are treated as fans and how we behave.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Cripps » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:34 pm

Would help if we had a song to sing at the start of games instead of the pathetic crap Londons Calling.

Go back to the Wonder Of You.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk