Theo Walcott: We can win Champions League

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Theo Walcott: We can win Champions League

Postby arsebandit » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:59 pm

JordanTheGunner wrote:
sweggeh wrote:
arsebandit wrote:
sweggeh wrote:
CukiZeGerman wrote:
Vinny wrote:Great to see our players (Sanchez as well) talking this way.
The negativity on this topic is predictable.
Of course we can win it, and I for one am delighted to hear/read about our players talking in this way.

There is a distinct difference between negativity and reality.
Negativity is when you're the best and even then you're talking yourself down. For instance - if Real Madrid started talking like they don't have a chance of winning the CL - that would be negative.

Saying that we don't have a chance of winning the CL is not negative, it's realistic.

The teams that are favourites:
Real
Atletico
Bayern
Chelsea
Barcelona

Unless all these teams get disqualified in the next round, our chances of winning the CL are similar to my chances of banging Katy Perry.

There are 16 teams remaining, and we are favourites to make it to the last 8. We can definitely win there. Liverpool and Chelsea won it with very shit teams, much worse than we are right now. We are outsiders, but that doesn't mean we have no chance to win.

The difference being both laffapool & chel*** had a punchers chance of winning because they believed...
Realistically & historically when we are underdogs we play like underdogs & lose like underdogs cos we believe that is what we are instead of believing we can win.

MAJOR DIFFERENCE, MASSIVE FLAW.

Theo just said the team believes they can win. So I don't know what you are talking about tbh. Did we look like we didn't believe we could beat Bayern the last two years? We went right at them and caused them a lot of problems. It wasn't enough, but we lost because they are a better team, not because we "didn't believe" or some bullshit like that.

This. We are more than capable of giving a team a run for their money/producing top displays against the best sides in the world.

2011 - Barca (best team in the world) 2-1
2012 - Milan 3-0
2013 - Bayern 2-0
2014 - Bayern 1-1 (a)

We can produce top class results if necessary.

I didn't say we can't win it.
I certainly have a different take on 3 of the 4 games you mentioned. Dress it up any which way you like but Milan & Bayern twice, those ties were over before the 2nd leg began so if you're comfortable giving the team credit for those games that is your choice. I happen to disagree. We were never in those ties imo, even Milan, who were very average & smashed us in Italy... Once 3 goals were scored at home, we just ran out of ideas... Which is by the by cos the tie was finished in the 1st leg due to another shocking non-display... We all view things differently... How on earth can those 4 games be considered 'top class results' when they all ended in failure?? Too little, too late is how I see it... My recolllection is those 2nd legs were 'dead rubbers'.
Out of interest, do you view The Charity Shield as 'a significant trophy in the cabinet' or 1 game on a par with The Emirates Cup??
arsebandit
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby sweggeh » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:06 pm

The Charity Shield isn't that significant, but comparing it to the Emirates Cup is just too disrespectful.
sweggeh
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby arsebandit » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:18 pm

sweggeh wrote:The Charity Shield isn't that significant, but comparing it to the Emirates Cup is just too disrespectful.

I'm sorry, regardless of the who's why's & what fors... Which 'Friendly' am I dissin exactly??
arsebandit
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby sweggeh » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:22 pm

arsebandit wrote:
sweggeh wrote:The Charity Shield isn't that significant, but comparing it to the Emirates Cup is just too disrespectful.

I'm sorry, regardless of the who's why's & what fors... Which 'Friendly' am I dissin exactly??

The Charity Shield is between 2 Champions, the PL and the FA Cup. Even though it isn't taken too seriously, it is a very difficult game to get to and then to win. The Emirates Cup is a yearly invitational involving teams of our choosing and is played only to boost fitness. The CS isn't a friendly, its a showpiece to kickstart the season.
sweggeh
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby arsebandit » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:36 pm

sweggeh wrote:
arsebandit wrote:

The Charity Shield is between 2 Champions, the PL and the FA Cup. Even though it isn't taken too seriously, it is a very difficult game to get to and then to win. The Emirates Cup is a yearly invitational involving teams of our choosing and is played only to boost fitness. The CS isn't a friendly, its a showpiece to kickstart the season.

Premier league 'Champions' vs FA Cup 'Winners'

The best team in the land vs The team which won a handful of games..

You sound like a laffapool supporter & I'll tell you, hell will freeze over before I oh I can't be arsed mate.
arsebandit
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby sweggeh » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm

arsebandit wrote:
sweggeh wrote:
arsebandit wrote:

You sound like a laffapool supporter & I'll tell you, hell will freeze over before I oh I can't be arsed mate.

Hold up...don't tell me you are done discrediting the CS and are now moving onto the FA Cup? Oh lord help me please.....Some people just don't want anyone to be happy.
sweggeh
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ESFSAFC » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:39 pm

JordanTheGunner wrote:
sweggeh wrote:
arsebandit wrote:
sweggeh wrote:
CukiZeGerman wrote:
Of course we can win it, and I for one am delighted to hear/read about our players talking in this way.

Negativity is when you're the best and even then you're talking yourself down. For instance - if Real Madrid started talking like they don't have a chance of winning the CL - that would be negative.

Saying that we don't have a chance of winning the CL is not negative, it's realistic.

Real
Atletico
Bayern
Chelsea
Barcelona

Unless all these teams get disqualified in the next round, our chances of winning the CL are similar to my chances of banging Katy Perry.

There are 16 teams remaining, and we are favourites to make it to the last 8. We can definitely win there. Liverpool and Chelsea won it with very shit teams, much worse than we are right now. We are outsiders, but that doesn't mean we have no chance to win.

The difference being both laffapool & chel*** had a punchers chance of winning because they believed...
Realistically & historically when we are underdogs we play like underdogs & lose like underdogs cos we believe that is what we are instead of believing we can win.

Theo just said the team believes they can win. So I don't know what you are talking about tbh. Did we look like we didn't believe we could beat Bayern the last two years? We went right at them and caused them a lot of problems. It wasn't enough, but we lost because they are a better team, not because we "didn't believe" or some bullshit like that.

This. We are more than capable of giving a team a run for their money/producing top displays against the best sides in the world.

2012 - Milan 3-0
2013 - Bayern 2-0
2014 - Bayern 1-1 (a)

Its post like these that rival fans use against us, we went out but we got our moral victory... there was no success or victory in any of those ties. We went out to all of those teams and in most of them were comprehensively out played. CL is simple about doing it over two legs until the final.

A lot of negativity about a player who is believing and being positive about a cup competition that we are competing in.
ESFSAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby arsebandit » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:54 pm

sweggeh wrote:
arsebandit wrote:
sweggeh wrote:
arsebandit wrote:

Hold up...don't tell me you are done discrediting the CS and are now moving onto the FA Cup? Oh lord help me please.....Some people just don't want anyone to be happy.

Seriously??

Please don't take offence at this.... Are you an imbecile?
arsebandit
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby JordanTheGunner » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:03 pm

arsebandit wrote:
JordanTheGunner wrote:
sweggeh wrote:

2012 - Milan 3-0
2013 - Bayern 2-0
2014 - Bayern 1-1 (a)

I certainly have a different take on 3 of the 4 games you mentioned. Dress it up any which way you like but Milan & Bayern twice, those ties were over before the 2nd leg began so if you're comfortable giving the team credit for those games that is your choice. I happen to disagree. We were never in those ties imo, even Milan, who were very average & smashed us in Italy... Once 3 goals were scored at home, we just ran out of ideas... Which is by the by cos the tie was finished in the 1st leg due to another shocking non-display... We all view things differently... How on earth can those 4 games be considered 'top class results' when they all ended in failure?? Too little, too late is how I see it... My recolllection is those 2nd legs were 'dead rubbers'.
Out of interest, do you view The Charity Shield as 'a significant trophy in the cabinet' or 1 game on a par with The Emirates Cup??

They aren't random games, they are all part of the legs that we went out on and we still managed to win 3 of those and draw the other, every one of those games we fielded an XI capable of beating the opposition.

Everyone of those games we set out to win/do well and not to make up the numbers. I'd understand if it was one of those last game of the season, nothing to play for, but it was a knockout competition and in 3 of those 4 cases, we were only 2 down or less. Not sure how that's dead rubber.
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby starmandb » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:21 pm

CukiZeGerman wrote:

Real
Atletico
Bayern
Chelsea
Barcelona

I dressed as a girl and made sure I had a cherry Chapstick when I took the 16/1 well you never know
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:27 pm

arsebandit wrote:
JordanTheGunner wrote:
sweggeh wrote:
arsebandit wrote:
sweggeh wrote:
CukiZeGerman wrote:

Real
Atletico
Bayern
Chelsea
Barcelona

2012 - Milan 3-0
2013 - Bayern 2-0
2014 - Bayern 1-1 (a)

Dead rubbers are games where you can not win regardless of however many goals you score
In the milan game we were a goal away from taking it to extra time and in the 1st bayern game we were a goal away from winning the tie
I am well aware that a miss is as good as a mile but the terminology of dead rubber is never right in a two legged tie
starmandb

Postby Cripps » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:53 pm

Can we win it? Yes

Will we win it? Lol
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:46 am

Of course we can win it. All the rounds up to the final you have a home leg. We can do anybody at home. Draw the away legs. Then the final, Who knows, anything can happen. Overall I do not think we will go all the way. But we are capable.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby arsebandit » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:30 pm

starmandb wrote:
arsebandit wrote:
JordanTheGunner wrote:
sweggeh wrote:
arsebandit wrote:
sweggeh wrote:
CukiZeGerman wrote:

Real
Atletico
Bayern
Chelsea
Barcelona

2012 - Milan 3-0
2013 - Bayern 2-0
2014 - Bayern 1-1 (a)

Dead rubbers are games where you can not win regardless of however many goals you score
In the milan game we were a goal away from taking it to extra time and in the 1st bayern game we were a goal away from winning the tie
I am well aware that a miss is as good as a mile but the terminology of dead rubber is never right in a two legged tie

That was simply how I viewed them because after the 1st legs I felt we didn't even have a fighting chance.
The reality, of course is slightly different but that's how I felt nonetheless.
Growing up I ALWAYS felt we had a fighting chance, even during the dark 80's ( early to middle, not late )
Going behind, certainly against quality opposition, I haven't felt it for a few years now.
arsebandit
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:58 pm

Fas91 wrote:

The depressing thing about this is that its still miles off .......... miles.

Although obviously that just demonstrates how good Henry was, I actually have to say though I don't see how Giroud and Walcott is better firepower than RVP and Walcott was?

Where are these striking options we have? Giroud is a good box poacher, Walcott is still Walcott, we do have Alexis but he hasn't scored recently.

Borderline.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk