Bernd Leno joins Fulham

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby VCC » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:08 pm

fredd1 wrote:Leno is by far the best keeper we've had in years.Forget the pen stop last season himself and Aub kept us a float
Martinez is not a patch on him Leno is a level above.Look at my post for Tierney they are the only 2 that can day they've performed the rest have been a shit show

Not so sure of that
Leno is quality but to use a Wenger saying " he imo is not yet top top quality"
Great pen save today, but for me his coming and catching a few crosses was what I liked, he may be regaining some much needed confidence because that area of his game was very poor to be frank.
More you take the less congested the area comes because defenders get to realise what the keeper will come for and give him room.its a confidence and trust that needs to be grown between defence and keeper and makes all concerned job easier.less traffic easier catching defenders can even close the chanels for the keeper to come for balls. Keeper needs good clear communication something I have talked about leno struggle with.
But promising signs today, he played well
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby fredd1 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:09 pm

VCC some of your points are spot on but quality wise Leno is top notch.Last season uptill his injury he was fantastic.From Lehmann on our keepers have been average great to see we have a top one imho
fredd1
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby kaijuhk » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:26 am

All my Arsenal mates think I'm mad for criticising Leno and that I have an agenda against him but like some here, it's obvious Leno, as with pretty much any player has flaws.

While his distribution and ball handling have improved recently, his positioning is one thing that's come up recently for me.

I've seen some fans argue his positioning is fine in those shots but unless it's a tactic to give the opposition a preferred side to hit, that's just bad positioning to me.

I still rate Leno as a very good keeper and for all his shortcomings is an excellent shot stopper. Like everyone here, I hope that he can iron out his flaws and become one of the best goalkeepers in the game.

As for the Emi debate, I for one think we should have kept Emi at all costs, having competition in all areas is so important if you are a team with big aspirations and he is younger than Leno (albeit half a year). Emi showed passion, commitment, loyalty to Arsenal for years and then when given the chance helped us attain an FA Cup and win 13 of the 16 games he played. If that's not good enough to give you the nod as a starter, I don't know what is. His performances also backed that up and his distribution, positioning and ball handling were better and you could see the defenders were far more confident with him behind them. Perhaps Emi's strong personality was what ultimately resulted in his departure but we need players like Tierney, Gabriel and Martinelli who are passionate.

I do hope we are able to pry him back from Villa one day but I won't hold my breath.
kaijuhk
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby kaijuhk » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:56 am

Zenith wrote:The way Marí grabs Leno; a grateful man indeed.

Tierney passionate as usual.
Thought Mari was gonna push Leno over the line for a corner for a split second LOL.
kaijuhk
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby KG3 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:23 am

kaijuhk wrote:All my Arsenal mates think I'm mad for criticising Leno and that I have an agenda against him but like some here, it's obvious Leno, as with pretty much any player has flaws.

While his distribution and ball handling have improved recently, his positioning is one thing that's come up recently for me.

I've seen some fans argue his positioning is fine in those shots but unless it's a tactic to give the opposition a preferred side to hit, that's just bad positioning to me.

I still rate Leno as a very good keeper and for all his shortcomings is an excellent shot stopper. Like everyone here, I hope that he can iron out his flaws and become one of the best goalkeepers in the game.

As for the Emi debate, I for one think we should have kept Emi at all costs, having competition in all areas is so important if you are a team with big aspirations and he is younger than Leno (albeit half a year). Emi showed passion, commitment, loyalty to Arsenal for years and then when given the chance helped us attain an FA Cup and win 13 of the 16 games he played. If that's not good enough to give you the nod as a starter, I don't know what is. His performances also backed that up and his distribution, positioning and ball handling were better and you could see the defenders were far more confident with him behind them. Perhaps Emi's strong personality was what ultimately resulted in his departure but we need players like Tierney, Gabriel and Martinelli who are passionate.

I do hope we are able to pry him back from Villa one day but I won't hold my breath.

Yeah Emi is clear one of the reasons why Aston Villa are doing better than us this season
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:34 am

fredd1 wrote:Leno is by far the best keeper we've had in years.Forget the pen stop last season himself and Aub kept us a float
Martinez is not a patch on him Leno is a level above.Look at my post for Tierney they are the only 2 that can day they've performed the rest have been a shit show

Don't think you have been watching much of Martinez since he has been at Villa. He is the reason they have had so many clean sheets and why they are where they are in tjte table.

Comfortably better keeper than Leno.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:43 am

Leno is better. Martinez is doing well though. Hope it continues.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:02 pm

Martinez has 8 clean sheets to Leno's 3. Villa fought relegation until the end of last season. Don't tell me they have a better squad than us!

Martinez has made more saves, both have saved one penalty.
Leno has made and completed more passes but a pass is a sideways pass and we do a lot of them. Martinez has made 250 forward passes to Leno's 206, but that could just be down to the manager's instructions.

In all the areas that matter Martinez leads. Higher save success %, doesn't punch the ball, more than double the number of high claims, Martinez is an all round safer pair of hands than Leno.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby kaijuhk » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:15 am

theHotHead wrote:Martinez has 8 clean sheets to Leno's 3. Villa fought relegation until the end of last season. Don't tell me they have a better squad than us!

Leno has made and completed more passes but a pass is a sideways pass and we do a lot of them. Martinez has made 250 forward passes to Leno's 206, but that could just be down to the manager's instructions.

In all the areas that matter Martinez leads. Higher save success %, doesn't punch the ball, more than double the number of high claims, Martinez is an all round safer pair of hands than Leno.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
kaijuhk
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby swipe right » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:23 am

Martinez was done wrong by Arsenal. He was terrific years ago. I remember him against Bayern in the CL. He was assured, good distribution and great presence. He had a short spell where he struggled but even then he was decent. He should be our number one. But oh well it’s all spilled milk.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:41 pm

I miss Emi big time, he’s streets ahead of this guy.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:44 pm

theHotHead wrote:Martinez has 8 clean sheets to Leno's 3. Villa fought relegation until the end of last season. Don't tell me they have a better squad than us!

Better manager, better defence and a midfield that would walk in to ours.

All that helps in keeping clean sheets. Not knocking emi at all. He was awesome for us for a month. Takes more than a month in 10 years to convince me he's better than our 2nd best player after Auba last season and he's been fine this.

But fairweathers will always like the shiny toy better than something that is reliable.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby KG3 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:06 pm

Santi wrote:I miss Emi big time, he’s streets ahead of this guy.

Think every here agrees with this bar Ach, always that one poster who rates someone nowhere near as good as they’re, like Jayramfootball and Nketiah love.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:09 pm

Emi lovers think manninger was better than seaman lol

Says it all

Or does the same logic not apply?

Both mr one month keepers who were awesome.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby KG3 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:14 pm

Ach wrote:Emi lovers think manninger was better than seaman lol

Says it all

Or does the same logic not apply?

Both mr one month keepers who were awesome.

No one here said that stop making up BS to suit your agenda
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football