Bernd Leno joins Fulham

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby Losmeister » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:26 am

nasty ugly spillby emi....
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:21 am

Leno is definatly not as commanding and as confident as Martinez this decision to sell him might bite us on the ass.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:51 am

Disappointing last night, hope it’s a one off but now he has no competition so he’ll be pretty comfortable.

As far as being commanding, Martinez use to catch the ball which for me is always preferable over punching, punching can leave you in no mans land if you miss hit it or miss it.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:09 am

alexafc12 wrote:He's a perfectly fine keeper. Least of our worries.

I agree he doesn't inspire confidence on crosses though. Nor with his tendency to parry every shot.

That's the instant difference I notice post-Emi. How little Leno catches things.

Lol, contradict yourself why don't you. If he parries too many shots and doesn't inspire confidence on crosses in the Prem I would say he is NOT a perfectly fine keeper
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:09 am

Callum wrote:
Godlop wrote:
Callum wrote:Perhaps he could have done better on the first goal, but frankly I do not see the calamitous display some fans, weirdly, seem to be actively wanting from him.

He's not confident enough. It's a huge difference between him and Martinez.

I disagree. Perhaps he's not as good a distributor as Martinez was, but I don't find him to be the nervous, poor passer some fans claim him to be.

He was last season, he has not been this season I agree.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:10 am

Jedi wrote:
KG3 wrote:
Jedi wrote:If Emi was at goal we would not be looking to sign Aouar or Partey.

I am looking to buy a Ferrari one day doesn’t mean I’ll be able to afford it lol

Yes, I am sure both Edu and Arteta are completely demented and wasting their time trying to bring in players we can't afford with our budget.

Loooool
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:12 am

He’s basically a very good shotstopper, but the rest of his game leaves a lot to be desired. He’ll make plenty of great saves, but he’ll also be vulnerable at crosses/corners due to his style.

David Seaman was great in that sense, obviously he was a great keeper, but importantly he almost always tried to pluck the ball out of the air and this gave the defence a few seconds to recover. Punching tends to create a bit of a free for all.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:17 am

Callum wrote:
Sims wrote:
Callum wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Not good enough at this level.

This take is honestly just bizarre. He was our best player last season (bar Aubameyang) prior to his injury, and has mostly been fine since his return, even if you want to get picky with a few things he could have done better with. I get that some people preferred Emi, but Leno suddenly isn't good enough to play for Arsenal? Really?

He saved our asses numerous times last season. I feel like I'm going mad reading stuff like this.

it was always going to be the way

as i predicted

Agendas above all else.

Honestly, if Leno isn't good enough to play for Arsenal, then we have around 2-3 players who actually are.

Well now I think you are on the right path. Compare this squad to any prime Wenger squad, how many of these players would get into that team?
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Ach » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:55 pm

Like his calmness under pressure. Doesn't panic
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Mess » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:04 pm

Leno is definitely good enough for Arsenal and a very good keeper. I think it's undeniable however that Emi was MUCH better at controlling his box and also much better at catching the damn ball instead of cheaply deflecting it in a dangerous position. That's the main flaw in his game in my opinion. And also why I preferred Emi.
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:06 pm

Emi is better.

Leno made a 1st half great save but his overall performance in the box is below Emi's.

However ............. Emi was sellable and we needed the money, its done now so no point comparing anymore despite the tempation, you never know, maybe we'll buy Emi back in a season or two.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby KG3 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:10 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Emi is better.

Leno made a 1st half great save but his overall performance in the box is below Emi's.

However ............. Emi was sellable and we needed the money, its done now so no point comparing anymore despite the tempation, you never know, maybe we'll buy Emi back in a season or two.

No he’s gonna go to another big team like Gnabry when we sold him went backwards to go forward, then everyone will be saying I can’t believe he wasn’t good enough for arsenal but he’s good enough for ( big team)
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Sims » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:25 am

Or the logical thinking will be if we sign Aouar & Partey that selling Emi for £20m which wouldn’t have ever happened bar a freak accident has completely balanced the squad and made it far more complete & was a massive priority

If Leno drops off and doesn’t perform at a high level and he becomes a weak link then we go for a better keeper when we have the funds to do so

Emi alone wouldn’t get us CL football given our current midfield, but the money generated by him may be the tipping point to bring in our targets which makes CL football a huge possibility
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Santi » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:18 am

Weeee want emi back, we want emi back!!
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:48 pm

Rayyo wrote:emi made a huge mistake for villa in their last game.

He did. Nobody claims Emi to be a better shot-stopper, or considers him more agile than Leno.

Emi brought perfect distribution, leadership qualities, and a certain command in the box. His temperament was the difference. That's where he excels. That's also where Leno's weaknesses lie.

But what Sims said is true. If Emi's sale can ensure we get one of Aouar or Partey, it would have been a productive decision. If we'd put Leno on the market, we wouldn't have gotten as many buyers, nor the fee Emi helped us attain.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football