Bernd Leno joins Fulham

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Bernd Leno (1)

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:32 am

Vital save to prevent it going to 3-0. Credit where it's due after a complete blunder last week. Really good work.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby KG3 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:38 am

jayramfootball wrote:Shocker for the second goal - another horrible error.
But made some good saves too.

Big Emi would have organised those idiot defenders right, so no one has a free header for the second goal

Leno is nearly 30 and has no idea how to organise the defence for corners and free kicks, seriously it’s goalkeeping 101.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:06 am

Power n Glory wrote:Vital save to prevent it going to 3-0. Credit where it's due after a complete blunder last week. Really good work.

Like the pundits said, he didn't hide and showed great character.

Made a couple of really good saves. He's back.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:19 am

KG3 wrote:

Big Emi would have organised those idiot defenders right, so no one has a free header for the second goal

Leno is nearly 30 and has no idea how to organise the defence for corners and free kicks, seriously it’s goalkeeping 101.

Yeah.
The second goal showed the problem with Leno.
He's always been a decent shot stopper but he makes some serious and basic errors.
Goalkeepers will always be judged on the type and number of errors they make and on that measure Leno is a poor goalkeeper.
For the second goal he started to come for the cross, changed his mind when he was half way there and retreated back to a position where any type of shot or header was going to beat him. Basically, he panicked again. The defenders did a poor job too but it can not be easy for them to play in front of such an error prone keeper.
We badly need a dominant goalkeeper.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Ach » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:32 am

KG3 wrote:

Set pieces goal conceded this season

Aston Villa 6
Arsenal 4

Lol
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Santi » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:00 am

Played well and kept us in it.

Still should’ve been dropped as punishment for his f**k up last weekend.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:22 am

Ach wrote:
KG3 wrote:

Set pieces goal conceded this season

Aston Villa 6
Arsenal 4

Lol

Arsenal have conceded the least free kicks in the league and for corners, Villa on average concede 1 more per game than we do.

In more detail
Emi - Corners faced 168, goals conceded from corners 3. Number of corners per goal = 56.1
Leno - Corners faced 139, goals conceded from corners 4. Number of corners per goal = 34.7

Here's a comparison of all the key numbers.
Note particularly the high claims and catches difference and also the accuracy of long balls upfield.

Saves : Emi 117 Leno 76
Penalties Saved : Emi 1 Leno 1
Punches: Emi 2 Leno 11
High Claims : Emi 35 Leno 8
Catches : Emi 14 Leno 6

Clearances : Emi 11 Leno 11
Clean Sheets : Emi 14 Leno 9
Errors leading to goal : Emi 1 Leno 1
Own goals : Emi 0 Leno 1
Accurate Long balls : Emi 226 Leno 100.

The simple fact is that this season Emi shits all over Leno.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:12 pm

Villareal's top scorer drew blanks because of him and we're still alive in this tie.

I would have preferred Emi Martinez but only because he can coach the defenders where to position themselves, in a way that our manager can't .
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby VCC » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:49 pm

Didn't see the game so are not going to comment, but will raise a couple points in regards to Leno
#1 Leno is not a dominant keeper he is not the keeper to come out at a players feet or take the high ball in a congested area.
# 2 we have a set piece coach more than likely because we dont have a dominant keeper,
Leno is a quality shot stopper, give thought to this John Lukic was classed as a shot stopper I know he played in a day when keepers could pick up a back pass, but give a thought to the keeping side of things for me it would be Lukic all day everyday.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:34 pm

VCC wrote:Didn't see the game so are not going to comment, but will raise a couple points in regards to Leno
#1 Leno is not a dominant keeper he is not the keeper to come out at a players feet or take the high ball in a congested area.
# 2 we have a set piece coach more than likely because we dont have a dominant keeper,
Leno is a quality shot stopper, give thought to this John Lukic was classed as a shot stopper I know he played in a day when keepers could pick up a back pass, but give a thought to the keeping side of things for me it would be Lukic all day everyday.

Pretty much - shot-stopper and not much else.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Sat May 01, 2021 6:12 am

VCC wrote:Didn't see the game so are not going to comment, but will raise a couple points in regards to Leno

Lukic was quality. My biggest issue with Leno seems to be his weak wrists. If you compare his shot stopping to Emi, Emi parries shots away from danger better than Leno. So Im not sure I agree Leno is that good a shot stopper. I still say Leno is 4th best keeper in the league though.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Sat May 01, 2021 6:47 am

theHotHead wrote:

Lukic was quality. My biggest issue with Leno seems to be his weak wrists. If you compare his shot stopping to Emi, Emi parries shots away from danger better than Leno. So Im not sure I agree Leno is that good a shot stopper. I still say Leno is 4th best keeper in the league though.

HH that's kind of my point the standard of keeping is now poor. As I said Lukic was classed as a shot stopper rather than a keeper of all round ability, but he would still come for balls leno would not dream of
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby KG3 » Sat May 01, 2021 10:51 am

theHotHead wrote:

4th best is generous lol he wouldn’t even make the bench at United
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby starmandb » Sat May 01, 2021 6:07 pm

I liked Lukic but when seaman arrived it was a huge upgrade
Lukic had a weakness in conceding shots across his body
He did have very good reflexes though
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby swipe right » Wed May 05, 2021 1:53 pm

He’s asked to leave in summer. Why did we sell Emi?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football