Olivier Giroud

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Olivier Giroud (12)

Postby Goonerz » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:22 am

DiamondGooner wrote:......... but everything you just said is now moot because he now has that competition and its now not on his shoulders.

Giroud is far from a scapegoat, he's had serious support from AFC fans for years, in fact they've even supported him when he's been dog.

About the support you mention, why should I support a striker who can't score a goal against Red star and Norwich? especially when an 18 yr old comes on and instantly scores 2 goals in that same game?

The same striker who went 10 or so games without scoring.

This is pathetic and endemic of our supporters these days, begging for us to back a striker which you would only ever need to do if he was under performing in first place.

When in AFC history since Alan Smith have we ever had a striker so limited we have to galvanise support? Wright, Anelka, Henry, Adebayor, RVP.

Spurs have Kane, City have Jesus and Aguero and you want us to be content with fkin Oliver Giroud?

Are you mad bruv?

So many points in there that always get people mad and emotional when applied to other players they are willing to die for no matter what. People are so happy to point out the flaws in some players but will make all kinds of recycled dead excuses for particular players.

About Kane. Now Our fans rate him? I remember when he first burst onto the scene people were calling him an Arsenal reject, poor typical blood and thunder British hype, overrated, Welbeck a better striker, fish mouth blah blah.

Now our fans rate him? Lol
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:45 am

EliteKiller wrote:
theHotHead wrote: Haters hate cos there is reason to hate. He is mediocre at best and you know it, your stats are weak.

There not my stats they are OPTA's used by 90% of media, TV and blog sites on the planet .... but hey you just make up your own if it makes you feel good ......

What stats did I make up bloke? The Ian Wright stats are there for all to see on the internet. But like I said the stats you provided only tell a fragment of the story, they lack the context of the whole picture and so falsify the position to make your point.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:51 am

Goonerz wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:......... but everything you just said is now moot because he now has that competition and its now not on his shoulders.

Giroud is far from a scapegoat, he's had serious support from AFC fans for years, in fact they've even supported him when he's been dog.

About the support you mention, why should I support a striker who can't score a goal against Red star and Norwich? especially when an 18 yr old comes on and instantly scores 2 goals in that same game?

The same striker who went 10 or so games without scoring.

This is pathetic and endemic of our supporters these days, begging for us to back a striker which you would only ever need to do if he was under performing in first place.

When in AFC history since Alan Smith have we ever had a striker so limited we have to galvanise support? Wright, Anelka, Henry, Adebayor, RVP.

Spurs have Kane, City have Jesus and Aguero and you want us to be content with fkin Oliver Giroud?

Are you mad bruv?

So many points in there that always get people mad and emotional when applied to other players they are willing to die for no matter what. People are so happy to point out the flaws in some players but will make all kinds of recycled dead excuses for particular players.

About Kane. Now Our fans rate him? I remember when he first burst onto the scene people were calling him an Arsenal reject, poor typical blood and thunder British hype, overrated, Welbeck a better striker, fish mouth blah blah.

Its because despite your claims that fans make excuses it shows a level of honesty and maturity to admit that your fiercest rival does in fact have good players.

When Kane buss I didn't rate him at all, flash in the pan, one season wonder. Then the next season he did the same and banged in the goals, I grudgingly accepted he was half decent. Now 3 seasons in and the guy is still scoring shit loads, only a fool would deny that Kane is a top striker.

He has proved himself in the hardest league of them all, you have to respect that even if you don't like the slaphead.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:54 am

In fact i would go so far as to say he is the most complete striker in the league, he has everything! Work rate, shoots with both feet, can come short, makes runs in behind, good in the air, good hold up play, mobile, good with ball at his feet, good with dead balls, good link up play, good first touch.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:58 am

Not a fan of using this "Fanbase don't rate XYZ" when you're talking to a poster. I don't represent the entire Arsenal fan base, neither do you, we all have our individual opinions.

Did DiamondGooner ever call Kane shit and overrated? That's what matters, not what some random Arsenal supporting druggie said about Kane
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:00 am

Goonerz wrote:

I would point out the stupidity in this statement but its already been done ......twice.

Apparently according to Goonerz I'm not allowed to rate Kane because some Arsenal fans didn't rate him originally.

If you can't see the problem with that statement then your beyond help.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:42 pm

Goonerz wrote:
Burnturrek wrote:Instead of replacing Lacazette with Giroud I hope one day Wenger has the balls to keep both on the field. In theory, they should work well together.

I DO rate Giroud and I BLAME Wenger for making him the scapegoat he is now. Giroud was our only proper striker for how many years? He is not a world class striker but neither is Lacazette. If Giroud had some competition who could replace him when he was in a bad spell we wouldn't hate on him so much. Wenger destroyed Giroud's legacy by putting it ALL on his shoulders.

There are many games Giroud is needed, but there are also plenty where he is not. With Wenger deciding not to buy anyone for all these years, it was all on Giroud. Game after game, season after season.

Olivier Giroud is a proper striker lads. Don't let his lack of pace distract you from this.

We are the Arsenal and we pride our self for our attacking style of play, and thus we believe we need a world class striker to lead the line. But have you stopped to consider we haven't BEEN world class for many years? The fault lies with the manager, the manager is responsible in good times and in the bad.

Giroud is a good strong striker who deserves much more praise. I'm just happy atleast the fans in the stadium give him proper support. I wish he'd get it here as well though.

Top mature post..
I have always had this same attitude towards Giroud from day one. He is not world class but a good striker to be rotated in our squad. But the scape goating has been epic. Compare him to Laca in the same period that they both moved to Arsenal in their first season to December. I bet Girouds overall contributions are better than Lacazattes.

Lacazatte is not scoring enough but because of the price and small stature people are willing to look the other way. Not saying that he is a poor player, but when a player comes with hype people become a bit blinded and are willing to look the other way. Snail Wenger should have had Giroud and Laca in our squad seasons ago. 2 different types of striker.

Lacazette hasn't had to December
He has had 751 mins
After the same amount of minutes( which were the end of October ) for giroud he had 3 goals and 4 assists
After the same amount of minutes Henry had 2 goals
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:39 am

....... and 6 goals.

But apparently according to some, he's crap or just average.

The only thing that's average is their football IQ.

Lacazette is a very good striker, that's what we paid for, people are acting like because he's not WC that means he's a failure.

We did not pay 90m for Aguero or 190m for Neymar, we paid 50m and we got what we stumped up for, if anything we slightly underpaid such is his shooting ability compared to the tripe we usually have up front or compared to the cost of your Morata's and Lukaku's who only seem better because of better support from their manager and fans ...... output though they are only one goal better with 7 in the league and probably more minutes.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:38 am

DiamondGooner wrote:....... and 6 goals.

But apparently according to some, he's crap or just average.

The only thing that's average is their football IQ.

Lacazette is a very good striker, that's what we paid for, people are acting like because he's not WC that means he's a failure.

We did not pay 90m for Aguero or 190m for Neymar, we paid 50m and we got what we stumped up for, if anything we slightly underpaid such is his shooting ability compared to the tripe we usually have up front or compared to the cost of your Morata's and Lukaku's who only seem better because of better support from their manager and fans ...... output though they are only one goal better with 7 in the league and probably more minutes.

True .... but right there is the problem ....

We did pay 50m and he's a decent player for that .... but this is the EPL all our rivals have 100m strikers, some have more than one .... how are we going to compete when we settle for second tier?

The only two first tier players we have are Ozil and Alexis .... and they are running down contracts ....

There's nothing wrong with Giroud or Lacca as second tier strikers .... but it's a 90% certainty they won't win us the EPL or the CL, the top four trophy is as good as we will get .....

Not the players fault it's the feckin' manager and his ego - I can win with second tier players - no you feckin' can't .......
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:43 am

With a bit of confidence, good level team mates and a team that's not in crisis I think Lacazette has the ability to become a top level striker.

The shooting is already there, decent movement and awareness etc.

Problem is Arsenal is a poison challace atm and Wenger treats Lacazette like a whipping boy, dropping him from games, subbing him early.

Wenger got completely embarrassed when he bought Laca on in the City game and he scored, its why he didn't celebrate the goal just eventually gave a sheepish thumbs up, he knew what people would say.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:11 am

I think the prices for other players are exag and there is absolutely no correlation between quality of player and price in the market at the moment.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby PairyGrows » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Olivier Giroud is a grear striker for the money we've paid for him. Of course, he has and always will pale in comparison with the best strikers in the league. He's decent at hold up play, but he's not great at any other aspect of the game - not to mention how inconsistent he is.

The fans may expect a bit too much from Giroud. He has never scored 20 goals in the Premier League, nor will he ever do so. Considering the numbers of league goals (11, 16, 14, 16, 12) he's scored for us, we've gotten the absolute best out of a very limited footballer.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:22 pm

I don't think we've got the best out of Giroud, tbh. He's the type of striker you play with two up top. Him and Lacazette up top, TRULY UP TOP (Not with one on the wing) and they'll both benefit
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:35 pm

GI-RUINED! STRIKER SUFFERS INJURY ON INTERNATIONAL DUTY

Arsene Wenger was dealt an injury worry today after Olivier Giroud was ruled out of France’s friendly with Germany.

The 31 year old picked up a thigh strain during the 2-0 win over Wales on Friday night, a game in which the Arsenal man scored, making him the seventh highest goalscorer in France’s history.

It was his 29th goal for his country, leaving him only behind the legendary Jean Pierre Papin and Just Fontaine.

Thierry Henry is the all-time leading scorer with 51, followed by Michel Platini with 41, David Trezeguet with 34, and Zinedine Zidane and Pascal Cygan both on 31.

It remains to be seen how serious the problem is, and he’ll return to London for treatment but clearly there’ll be doubts about whether or not he’ll be fit for next weekend’s North London derby.

Source: http://news.arseblog.com/2017/11/gi-rui ... onal-duty/

Lacazette to finish more games? :hiding:
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Angelito » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:17 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
GI-RUINED! STRIKER SUFFERS INJURY ON INTERNATIONAL DUTY

Arsene Wenger was dealt an injury worry today after Olivier Giroud was ruled out of France’s friendly with Germany.

The 31 year old picked up a thigh strain during the 2-0 win over Wales on Friday night, a game in which the Arsenal man scored, making him the seventh highest goalscorer in France’s history.

It was his 29th goal for his country, leaving him only behind the legendary Jean Pierre Papin and Just Fontaine.

Thierry Henry is the all-time leading scorer with 51, followed by Michel Platini with 41, David Trezeguet with 34, and Zinedine Zidane and Pascal Cygan both on 31.

It remains to be seen how serious the problem is, and he’ll return to London for treatment but clearly there’ll be doubts about whether or not he’ll be fit for next weekend’s North London derby.

Source: http://news.arseblog.com/2017/11/gi-rui ... onal-duty/

Lacazette to finish more games? :hiding:

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to World Football