Mesut Özil (10)

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Soooo Ozil's back

Postby Callum » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:05 am

greengoonerie wrote:any pace we had when moving the ball round died with Ozil - the Monreal flick aside.

When Ozil came on the game was already won - his main job was to just help keep possession. There was no point doing things quickly.
User avatar
Callum
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 34544
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: Kieran Tierney's back pocket

Re: Soooo Ozil's back

Postby JordanTheGunner » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:09 am

that flick thooo
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
User avatar
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6057
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:22 am
Location: Gloucester, England.

Re: Soooo Ozil's back

Postby Captain » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:51 am

greengoonerie wrote:I'd go with Angelito's line up, providing Ozil starts to try a leg when he loses the ball and that he stops slowing the game down when he receives it.

Watch his performance against Stoke seriously!

any pace we had when moving the ball round died with Ozil - the Monreal flick aside.


Do you not understand the idea of killing a game and purposely slowing play down? Or have you forgotten the numerous leads we've lost, Anderlecht ring a bell?
User avatar
Captain
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:58 pm

Re: Soooo Ozil's back

Postby Cripps » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:00 pm

Not a fan.
Cripps
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 43234
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:05 pm

Re: Soooo Ozil's back

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:16 pm

Wenger : Ozil to Fight for his place

The Sun quotes Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger as saying that Mesut Ozil faces competition for his place in the starting line-up.

Germany international playmaker Ozil made a long-awaited comeback from injury on Sunday when he came on as a second-half substitute against Stoke City at the Emirates Stadium.

The 26-year-old played the final 17 minutes of the Premier League encounter which ended in a comfortable 3-0 home win for the Gunners.

Ozil gave a decent account of himself against Stoke, having one shot and a 91% pass accuracy, but Wenger has said that the 2014 World Cup winner cannot expect to just walk into the team.

“Ozil is an exceptional football player who always gives you continuity in your game,” The Sun quotes the Frenchman as saying. “It has been a frustrating season for him because he has not contributed yet.

“It was not a convincing start for him. He played six games and scored one goal against Aston Villa. Now the opportunity is there for him to come back into the team and contribute.

“It is not going to be easy for him because Santi Cazorla is playing very well and Mesut faces a fight to get back to his best level."

Ozil was severely criticised for his performances when he was fit, although one needs to remember that he was largely played out on the wing by Wenger.

Having been out for three months with a serious knee injury, the former Real Madrid star will need some time to get into the groove of things.

However, given the undoubted quality that the former Werder Bremen star has, he will certainly be expected by Arsenal fans to re-establish himself in the starting line-up sooner rather than later.

It is also encouraging to see Wenger praise Spain international midfielder Santi Cazorla for his performances of late.

The 30-year-old former Malaga star is not always acknowledged for his contribution to the team, but he remains an important part of the side.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/01/ ... enal-boss/
User avatar
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 24373
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Re: Soooo Ozil's back

Postby ESFSAFC » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:48 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:[size=150][b][center]“ It is not going to be easy for him because Santi Cazorla is playing very well and Mesut faces a fight to get back to his best level." /


Could be read as "When Ozil is back to his best he starts"

I don't think he will start against Man city but after that he will start.
User avatar
ESFSAFC
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4447
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Re: Soooo Ozil's back

Postby Pudpop » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:25 am

S&W the no1Fan wrote:
greengoonerie wrote:I'd go with Angelito's line up, providing Ozil starts to try a leg when he loses the ball and that he stops slowing the game down when he receives it.

Watch his performance against Stoke seriously!

any pace we had when moving the ball round died with Ozil - the Monreal flick aside.




i dont see it


+1

Also, DAT Flick tho
Image
'The Turkish Diddler' ~ O(z)il on Canvas, © 2017
User avatar
Pudpop
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger
 
Posts: 12683
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:34 pm
Location: The Windy Cape

Re: Soooo Ozil's back

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:45 am

“I see him behind the striker or on the flank, where he doesn’t like to play,” Wenger said. “I prefer him central. In our team it’s very flexible anyway. When you play on the flank, you can move inside. We usually have one player who is more a winger and another more midfield.”


http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... ger-fa-cup
User avatar
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 24373
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Re: Soooo Ozil's back

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:49 am

As it has been very evident and i have said it many times, one of our wide player plays like a proper winger and the other plays much more inside. Ozil always has been given the freedom to tuck inside and occupy central areas. He was never asked to do a proper Winger's role.
User avatar
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 24373
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Re: Soooo Ozil's back

Postby Zedie » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:02 am

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:As it has been very evident and i have said it many times, one of our wide player plays like a proper winger and the other plays much more inside. Ozil always has been given the freedom to tuck inside and occupy central areas. He was never asked to do a proper Winger's role.


Inb4 diamond shit fit.

This. Cazorla out wide was primarily done to give us an extra man inside, yet advanced. He'd start on the wing, but would drive inside 95% of the time.

Defensively, he would then revert to the flank zone.

Where it fell down is when teams packed the middle and forced us wide. He just couldn't do that job physically, forcing him to run into trouble, making him look poor, which then attracted a lot of criticism.

Ozil shouldn't have really suffered as much as he is much quicker and actually played a significant portion of his career on the flank.

Only problem is that he was just too scared of the PL physical side and struggled. He's come back looking like a german triple H, so i'm pretty excited to see how his mentality changes now that he is 100% beefcake.

He can do this.
Image
User avatar
Zedie
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 33184
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:09 pm
Location: in the man cave

Re: Soooo Ozil's back

Postby Angelito » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:39 am

Wenger also said that Ozil doesn't like playing on the flanks there.

Somebody just doesn't like playing in a certain position. Three options: don't play him there, force him to play there, sell him to bring somebody who doesn't mind swapping.
Image
User avatar
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 26577
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am
Location: The Overlook Hotel

Re: Soooo Ozil's back

Postby Vinny » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:40 am

Zedie wrote:
Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:As it has been very evident and i have said it many times, one of our wide player plays like a proper winger and the other plays much more inside. Ozil always has been given the freedom to tuck inside and occupy central areas. He was never asked to do a proper Winger's role.


Inb4 diamond shit fit.

This. Cazorla out wide was primarily done to give us an extra man inside, yet advanced. He'd start on the wing, but would drive inside 95% of the time.

Defensively, he would then revert to the flank zone.

Where it fell down is when teams packed the middle and forced us wide. He just couldn't do that job physically, forcing him to run into trouble, making him look poor, which then attracted a lot of criticism.

Ozil shouldn't have really suffered as much as he is much quicker and actually played a significant portion of his career on the flank.

Only problem is that he was just too scared of the PL physical side and struggled. He's come back looking like a german triple H, so i'm pretty excited to see how his mentality changes now that he is 100% beefcake.

He can do this.


Would agree with both of you.
Anyway, when Ozil has started matches centrally, most of his work has been done out wide, particularily the left, as evidenced by the heat maps.
Adding Sanchez will help Ozil imo, as we now have 3/4 players who can interchange, playing different positions.
User avatar
Vinny
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:22 am
Location: West Cork

Re: Soooo Ozil's back

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:29 pm

Ozil is the best no.10 in the world. Play him there. Bye.
Image



Invincibles Never Die
User avatar
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015
 
Posts: 21175
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:01 am

Re: Soooo Ozil's back

Postby Danskin » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:41 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Ozil is the best no.10 in the world. Play him there. Bye.
User avatar
Danskin
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4013
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:03 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Soooo Ozil's back

Postby Sims » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:48 pm

Zedie wrote:
Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:As it has been very evident and i have said it many times, one of our wide player plays like a proper winger and the other plays much more inside. Ozil always has been given the freedom to tuck inside and occupy central areas. He was never asked to do a proper Winger's role.


Inb4 diamond shit fit.

This. Cazorla out wide was primarily done to give us an extra man inside, yet advanced. He'd start on the wing, but would drive inside 95% of the time.

Defensively, he would then revert to the flank zone.

Where it fell down is when teams packed the middle and forced us wide. He just couldn't do that job physically, forcing him to run into trouble, making him look poor, which then attracted a lot of criticism.

Ozil shouldn't have really suffered as much as he is much quicker and actually played a significant portion of his career on the flank.

Only problem is that he was just too scared of the PL physical side and struggled. He's come back looking like a german triple H, so i'm pretty excited to see how his mentality changes now that he is 100% beefcake.

He can do this.


It's still not the same, if he plays out wide it's at a cost of another player who he could thread a ball through to, therein lies the problem.
Image
User avatar
Sims
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 30351
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: East London

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests