The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby swipe right » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:48 pm

swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:53 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Incorrect.
Especially in the final third, creativity is about far more than assists and goals.
slide rule passes to a wide player who squares it for a goal, clever dummies to fool defenders and set other players free, accurate long passes wide to switch play and create opening for crosses, one twos with midfield partners that creates space for pass into a striker, corners that create danger in the penalty area and lead to a goal (not directly form the corner), accurate free kicks nodded down for a striker to score.. I could go on, but creativity is not just the final pass or the goal.
Ozil's dropped off in the last 2 years in terms of the final pass that led to a goal, but his drop off in terms of involvement in forward play was far less severe. In fact, he was 5th in the entire squad last year in terms of involvement (significant involvement not just a sideways pass) in goals per 90 minutes.

It is fair to say that Ozil in the last 2 years was far less successful at getting into advanced positions to generate assists, but he was still a creative force in the team - in fact, was praised for MotM performances under Arteta.

Last year - multiple examples

You'd have to be a complete loon to watch Ozil's performances last year and not realise he could help us in our current situation.

Spot on. I don't see why this needs to be pointed out to people. Sometimes you can see things in black and white and it works but sometimes it doesn't, sometimes you need grayscale or even colour.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:56 pm

swipe right wrote:Image

Standard!! His record is phenomenal, one of the beat players in the world when he played at Madrid
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:15 pm

Can't believe he isn't even registered
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Ach » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:22 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Can't believe he isn't even registered

That's your boy Arteta brilliant management
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:16 pm

Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:41 am

Ach wrote:https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/arsenal-bellingham-deal-done-got-away-adams-missed/1c1262tt0brbu1beiddg19jp34

Bring Adams home. Bye Arteta.

Adams absolutely hits the nail squarely and bang on the head. It is so simple, so obvious, but when you have robot managers like Arteta and Emery they cannot see it. Ffs, even Mourinho who is not known for attractive football saw it when he was at Madrid. This "if you do not fit in this mould" approach to football is backwards, a player like Ozil would never have even made it in the first place had managers like Emery and Arteta been there back in the day.

Its EXACTLY what I have been saying for years and specifically what I have said now we have Partey, that should unleash Ozil and free him up to do what he does beat, create chances.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby VCC » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:52 am

Lol how the Ozalists will grasp at any thread at all to keep face
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:58 am

VCC wrote:Lol how the Ozalists will grasp at any thread at all to keep face

And before you jump on what I have written ponder this,
What is the difference between the defenders when Adam's played behind Bergkamp, and the defenders playing behind Ozil.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:25 am

theHotHead wrote:Adams absolutely hits the nail squarely and bang on the head. It is so simple, so obvious, but when you have robot managers like Arteta and Emery they cannot see it. Ffs, even Mourinho who is not known for attractive football saw it when he was at Madrid. This "if you do not fit in this mould" approach to football is backwards, a player like Ozil would never have even made it in the first place had managers like Emery and Arteta been there back in the day.

Its EXACTLY what I have been saying for years and specifically what I have said now we have Partey, that should unleash Ozil and free him up to do what he does beat, create chances.

The would be Adams the football manager genius who failed at Wycombe Wanderers, Portsmouth, Gabala (who?) and Granada yup he sure as shit knows a thing or two .... all the delusional Ozil fans together .... what fools.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StockGooner » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:21 pm

How people can beg for this guy to be in the team, based on historical performances, yet criticise our best player for a downturn in form last a few weeks is beyond me. The irony in the contrast is actually quite startling

I for one don't mind Ozil, he should be registered, I don't think he should be a starter, but my God the polarising opinions on here are beyond belief
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:26 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Adams absolutely hits the nail squarely and bang on the head. It is so simple, so obvious, but when you have robot managers like Arteta and Emery they cannot see it. Ffs, even Mourinho who is not known for attractive football saw it when he was at Madrid. This "if you do not fit in this mould" approach to football is backwards, a player like Ozil would never have even made it in the first place had managers like Emery and Arteta been there back in the day.

The would be Adams the football manager genius who failed at Wycombe Wanderers, Portsmouth, Gabala (who?) and Granada yup he sure as shit knows a thing or two .... all the delusional Ozil fans together .... what fools.

the mere fact that he has the same opinion as 2 of the greatest managers in the modern era tells you he is not stupid.

Is Gary Neville a football dunce because he failed at managing Valencia ? Fools you say ......
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:27 pm

To keep face ? Its Arteta that has catapulted himself into a crisis, its he and those that believe Ozil being omitted is a good idea that are trying to keep face !! I am saying "told you so!"
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:48 pm

VCC wrote:

What is the difference between the defenders when Adam's played behind Bergkamp, and the defenders playing behind Ozil.

Well there are a few points I will make.

Firstly the defenders were better during Bergkamp's era, that should be obviously clear to everyone. In the midfield we played 4-4-2, personnel were Petit, Vieira, Ljungberg, Gilberto and possibly Flamini (can't remember when he joined). That set of midfielders profided infinitely more and better defensive cover than the half players Ozil has been surrounded by during his time at Arsenal. Look at who Ozil had behind him, Rosicky, Arteta, Wilshere, Ramsey, Cazorla, shit Flamini, Coquelin, xhaka, Elneny !

Be interested to know what answer you wwere fishing for and what response you are preparing to give.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:05 pm

theHotHead wrote:
VCC wrote:

Well there are a few points I will make.

Firstly the defenders were better during Bergkamp's era, that should be obviously clear to everyone. In the midfield we played 4-4-2, personnel were Petit, Vieira, Ljungberg, Gilberto and possibly Flamini (can't remember when he joined). That set of midfielders profided infinitely more and better defensive cover than the half players Ozil has been surrounded by during his time at Arsenal. Look at who Ozil had behind him, Rosicky, Arteta, Wilshere, Ramsey, Cazorla, shit Flamini, Coquelin, xhaka, Elneny !

Be interested to know what answer you wwere fishing for and what response you are preparing to give.

That team with Cesc, RVP, Ade, Nasri, Rosicky, Hleb, Diaby would have given the Invincibles a spanking had they reached their peak together.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club