Mesut Özil (10)

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:39 pm

Santi wrote:Would’ve won yesterday with Ozil


Agree - City were there for the taking.
We just needed better quality in the final 3rd.
Saka did his best but he was our only outlet.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
User avatar
jayramfootball
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7062
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Marsbar100 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:05 pm

Been a big critic but he is needed
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
User avatar
Marsbar100
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
 
Posts: 10281
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:30 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby theHotHead » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:08 pm

swipe right wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:Put hardworking players around Ozil and give him his free role. He’ll get us 10 assists a season. At least until we buy more creative midfielders. Saka and Willian on the flanks and Partey and El Neny/Xhaka behind him.


Leaving room for just one of Auba / Laca / Pepe / Nketiah .... with your line up he might get 10 assists but we would be lucky to get 40 goals a season and probably end up in a relegation scrap.

No, you need one decent defensive midfielder to free up Ozil, you dont need 2.

Auba
Saka Ozil Willian
Xhaka Partey

Why Xhaka?? He wouldn't be anywhere near my starting 11.
User avatar
theHotHead
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8933
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby theHotHead » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:11 pm

I don't get any argument along the lines of, as poor as we have been creatively Ozil would be of no benefit.

Thats total bull crap.
User avatar
theHotHead
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 8933
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby gamechannel » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:44 pm

theHotHead wrote:I don't get any argument along the lines of, as poor as we have been creatively Ozil would be of no benefit.

Thats total bull crap.


Thats just the same old rhetoric from Ozil critics. Their criticism is not invalid that his impact has diminished compared to his earlier years. But its their constant refusal to come up with a single viable name in the current squad when asked about a better alternative for Ozil that makes me laugh. They keep saying Ozil is past it yet he's still the best creative mid we got but the Ozil critics won't admit that cuz they're blinded by their agendas. Its one thing to say Ozil shouldn't play over someone like Havertz, Firminho, Fernandez et al, but to say that he doesn't deserve to play while we trot out rubbish like Willock, Nelson, Willian etc is lunacy.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:08 pm

gamechannel wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I don't get any argument along the lines of, as poor as we have been creatively Ozil would be of no benefit.

Thats total bull crap.


Thats just the same old rhetoric from Ozil critics. Their criticism is not invalid that his impact has diminished compared to his earlier years. But its their constant refusal to come up with a single viable name in the current squad when asked about a better alternative for Ozil that makes me laugh. They keep saying Ozil is past it yet he's still the best creative mid we got but the Ozil critics won't admit that cuz they're blinded by their agendas. Its one thing to say Ozil shouldn't play over someone like Havertz, Firminho, Fernandez et al, but to say that he doesn't deserve to play while we trot out rubbish like Willock, Nelson, Willian etc is lunacy.


That's great. But tell me the last time Ozil had an impact against Man City and helped us win the game?
User avatar
Power n Glory
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3896
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby VCC » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:28 pm

Arteta system is one of press with out the ball this is something asked of all the players with the possibility of putting your foot in to win the ball.
That one factor is why Ozil wont be picked and probably never will again for Arsenal.the gaffer ain't going to ask for something to be a constant player must do, then exempt someone from that
User avatar
VCC
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 9221
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:04 am

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Angelito » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:38 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
gamechannel wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I don't get any argument along the lines of, as poor as we have been creatively Ozil would be of no benefit.

Thats total bull crap.


Thats just the same old rhetoric from Ozil critics. Their criticism is not invalid that his impact has diminished compared to his earlier years. But its their constant refusal to come up with a single viable name in the current squad when asked about a better alternative for Ozil that makes me laugh. They keep saying Ozil is past it yet he's still the best creative mid we got but the Ozil critics won't admit that cuz they're blinded by their agendas. Its one thing to say Ozil shouldn't play over someone like Havertz, Firminho, Fernandez et al, but to say that he doesn't deserve to play while we trot out rubbish like Willock, Nelson, Willian etc is lunacy.


That's great. But tell me the last time Ozil had an impact against Man City and helped us win the game?


Nobody has an issue with Ozil being benched. The problem is, he's not being benched! He's not even in the squad when he's out second highest earner.

And, he sure as heck isn't the worst player amongst those 25 here.

Ozil won't be here next season. Arteta will be. He won't be able to hide being Ozil for too much long. Arsenal fans won't be able to blame Ozil for long. The script will write itself soon.

I don't want my manager to say that losing 1-0 to this City side is "progress."
Image
User avatar
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 28642
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am
Location: The Overlook Hotel

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:43 pm

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
gamechannel wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I don't get any argument along the lines of, as poor as we have been creatively Ozil would be of no benefit.

Thats total bull crap.


Thats just the same old rhetoric from Ozil critics. Their criticism is not invalid that his impact has diminished compared to his earlier years. But its their constant refusal to come up with a single viable name in the current squad when asked about a better alternative for Ozil that makes me laugh. They keep saying Ozil is past it yet he's still the best creative mid we got but the Ozil critics won't admit that cuz they're blinded by their agendas. Its one thing to say Ozil shouldn't play over someone like Havertz, Firminho, Fernandez et al, but to say that he doesn't deserve to play while we trot out rubbish like Willock, Nelson, Willian etc is lunacy.


That's great. But tell me the last time Ozil had an impact against Man City and helped us win the game?


Nobody has an issue with Ozil being benched. The problem is, he's not being benched! He's not even in the squad when he's out second highest earner.

And, he sure as heck isn't the worst player amongst those 25 here.

Ozil won't be here next season. Arteta will be. He won't be able to hide being Ozil for too much long. Arsenal fans won't be able to blame Ozil for long. The script will write itself soon.

I don't want my manager to say that losing 1-0 to this City side is "progress."


Do we know when Ozil last had an impact off the bench?
User avatar
Power n Glory
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3896
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Angelito » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:47 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
gamechannel wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I don't get any argument along the lines of, as poor as we have been creatively Ozil would be of no benefit.

Thats total bull crap.


Thats just the same old rhetoric from Ozil critics. Their criticism is not invalid that his impact has diminished compared to his earlier years. But its their constant refusal to come up with a single viable name in the current squad when asked about a better alternative for Ozil that makes me laugh. They keep saying Ozil is past it yet he's still the best creative mid we got but the Ozil critics won't admit that cuz they're blinded by their agendas. Its one thing to say Ozil shouldn't play over someone like Havertz, Firminho, Fernandez et al, but to say that he doesn't deserve to play while we trot out rubbish like Willock, Nelson, Willian etc is lunacy.


That's great. But tell me the last time Ozil had an impact against Man City and helped us win the game?


Nobody has an issue with Ozil being benched. The problem is, he's not being benched! He's not even in the squad when he's out second highest earner.

And, he sure as heck isn't the worst player amongst those 25 here.

Ozil won't be here next season. Arteta will be. He won't be able to hide being Ozil for too much long. Arsenal fans won't be able to blame Ozil for long. The script will write itself soon.

I don't want my manager to say that losing 1-0 to this City side is "progress."


Do we know when Ozil last had an impact off the bench?


Strawman.

When was the last time half of our players ever had an impact in their entire careers?

The argument is simply that Ozil is a better than half of the players we have whether he's past it or not. It's another thing that he has been a bonafide starter for every manager he's ever played for until Emery happened.
Image
User avatar
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 28642
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am
Location: The Overlook Hotel

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:13 pm

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
gamechannel wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I don't get any argument along the lines of, as poor as we have been creatively Ozil would be of no benefit.

Thats total bull crap.


Thats just the same old rhetoric from Ozil critics. Their criticism is not invalid that his impact has diminished compared to his earlier years. But its their constant refusal to come up with a single viable name in the current squad when asked about a better alternative for Ozil that makes me laugh. They keep saying Ozil is past it yet he's still the best creative mid we got but the Ozil critics won't admit that cuz they're blinded by their agendas. Its one thing to say Ozil shouldn't play over someone like Havertz, Firminho, Fernandez et al, but to say that he doesn't deserve to play while we trot out rubbish like Willock, Nelson, Willian etc is lunacy.


That's great. But tell me the last time Ozil had an impact against Man City and helped us win the game?


Nobody has an issue with Ozil being benched. The problem is, he's not being benched! He's not even in the squad when he's out second highest earner.

And, he sure as heck isn't the worst player amongst those 25 here.

Ozil won't be here next season. Arteta will be. He won't be able to hide being Ozil for too much long. Arsenal fans won't be able to blame Ozil for long. The script will write itself soon.

I don't want my manager to say that losing 1-0 to this City side is "progress."


Do we know when Ozil last had an impact off the bench?


Strawman.

When was the last time half of our players ever had an impact in their entire careers?

The argument is simply that Ozil is a better than half of the players we have whether he's past it or not. It's another thing that he has been a bonafide starter for every manager he's ever played for until Emery happened.


Strawman? I've asked you a question.
User avatar
Power n Glory
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3896
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby gamechannel » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:26 pm

VCC wrote:Arteta system is one of press with out the ball this is something asked of all the players with the possibility of putting your foot in to win the ball.
That one factor is why Ozil wont be picked and probably never will again for Arsenal.the gaffer ain't going to ask for something to be a constant player must do, then exempt someone from that


LOL!

When you're down a goal and chasing the game, you don't keep relying on pressing and keep passing the ball sideways in your own half. You throw out your attacking subs, change tactics and you go for it. Thats where you throw someone like Ozil out there with 20 mins remaining and see what that does. Based on the 2nd half performance vs Man City with 20 mins to go, there was ZERO evidence that we were going to produce any attacking threat with the tactics we were employing. No one is asking that Ozil be an undroppable starter. But he sure as hell should be used in situations where plan A aint working.

Arteta is in a dick measuring contest with Ozil cuz Ozil wouldn't succumb to Arteta's rather bizarre decision to get involved with the players' paycut proposal and that has pissed Arteta off. He's absolutely clueless on the offensive side of the game and has shown no ability to change tactics midway through the game if his Mourinho style isn't working.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby gamechannel » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:28 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
gamechannel wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I don't get any argument along the lines of, as poor as we have been creatively Ozil would be of no benefit.

Thats total bull crap.


Thats just the same old rhetoric from Ozil critics. Their criticism is not invalid that his impact has diminished compared to his earlier years. But its their constant refusal to come up with a single viable name in the current squad when asked about a better alternative for Ozil that makes me laugh. They keep saying Ozil is past it yet he's still the best creative mid we got but the Ozil critics won't admit that cuz they're blinded by their agendas. Its one thing to say Ozil shouldn't play over someone like Havertz, Firminho, Fernandez et al, but to say that he doesn't deserve to play while we trot out rubbish like Willock, Nelson, Willian etc is lunacy.


That's great. But tell me the last time Ozil had an impact against Man City and helped us win the game?


Nobody has an issue with Ozil being benched. The problem is, he's not being benched! He's not even in the squad when he's out second highest earner.

And, he sure as heck isn't the worst player amongst those 25 here.

Ozil won't be here next season. Arteta will be. He won't be able to hide being Ozil for too much long. Arsenal fans won't be able to blame Ozil for long. The script will write itself soon.

I don't want my manager to say that losing 1-0 to this City side is "progress."


Do we know when Ozil last had an impact off the bench?


Strawman.

When was the last time half of our players ever had an impact in their entire careers?

The argument is simply that Ozil is a better than half of the players we have whether he's past it or not. It's another thing that he has been a bonafide starter for every manager he's ever played for until Emery happened.


Strawman? I've asked you a question.


When was the last time Laca, Nelson, Nketiah, Willock, Willian did anything after coming on?
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:00 pm

Lacazette and Willock in July against Wolves. Willock with the assist Laca with the goal.

Before that Laca came of the bench to get the assist against Southampton in June setting up Willock. Before that Lacac got a goal and assist when coming on against Newcastle in a 5 minute cameo back in February.

Nketiah came off the bench to score against West Ham to win us the game.this season.

Nelson has done anything of note off the bench and Willian has only come off from the bench for us once in his short career at Arsenal.
User avatar
Power n Glory
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3896
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby starmandb » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:58 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
gamechannel wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I don't get any argument along the lines of, as poor as we have been creatively Ozil would be of no benefit.

Thats total bull crap.


Thats just the same old rhetoric from Ozil critics. Their criticism is not invalid that his impact has diminished compared to his earlier years. But its their constant refusal to come up with a single viable name in the current squad when asked about a better alternative for Ozil that makes me laugh. They keep saying Ozil is past it yet he's still the best creative mid we got but the Ozil critics won't admit that cuz they're blinded by their agendas. Its one thing to say Ozil shouldn't play over someone like Havertz, Firminho, Fernandez et al, but to say that he doesn't deserve to play while we trot out rubbish like Willock, Nelson, Willian etc is lunacy.


That's great. But tell me the last time Ozil had an impact against Man City and helped us win the game?

The 2-1 win at the emirates just before Xmas 2015
Was very good from start to finish and set up both goals
User avatar
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018
 
Posts: 12091
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 am

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dc16, Marsbar100, Nuggets, Power n Glory, theHotHead, Trendiction [Bot] and 7 guests