The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal,
or come in and read all about your beloved club Arsenal.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby themessiah » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:05 pm

Santi wrote:I’m just gonna pick up on the ‘doing what arteta wants’ bit, as the rest is fair enough and I largely agree. Although I wasn’t suggesting you have an agenda (a few people definitely do) but I do think it’s a very easy bandwagon to jump on without being fully fair to the player as well.

So as for doing what Arteta wants - do you really think he isn’t? This is the point for me because he seemed to be doing enough of what Arteta wanted pre-lockdown, whilst he wasn’t perfect or even close to it, he was playing about 10 games in a row. So, whilst it’s common to slate his running and defensive abilities, he must’ve been doing enough right to play all those games no? Or do you think Arteta just played him because they were mates before?

It’s only post lockdown that he’s been exiled fully, even worse than under emery. This is why I think it’s down to whatever happened over the wage issue, we’ve seen Arteta take the hard line with Guendouzi when he didn’t play ball and whilst they haven’t confirmed it, it seems the same with Ozil since lockdown.

Now if that’s the reason then it’s fair enough, consistency in his approach and showing no player is above the team or the club. This appears to be the most likely explanation and why it annoys me when people say it’s for footballing reasons (he’s certainly dropped off) because there was no footballing issue 9 months ago and he wasn’t any better then. I think the club just need to make a statement if they want to end the circus because until the reason is put out in the open, there will always be questions. I’d like to put it behind us as much as anyone because it’s just shit for everyone involved, club, Ozil and fans.




Tbf I can’t wait for Özil to write an autobiography on his time at here ,Would be a good read :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif: :Peace:
Image
User avatar
themessiah
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 2133
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:58 pm
Location: London

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Santi » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:11 pm

And I know people are probably fed up seeing this thread still going at the top every day. I am sorry for continuing it sometimes but I’m not very good at ignoring things I disagree with, especially on a player I used to really like.
Image
User avatar
Santi
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 38657
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:11 am

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Santi » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:12 pm

themessiah wrote:
Santi wrote:I’m just gonna pick up on the ‘doing what arteta wants’ bit, as the rest is fair enough and I largely agree. Although I wasn’t suggesting you have an agenda (a few people definitely do) but I do think it’s a very easy bandwagon to jump on without being fully fair to the player as well.

So as for doing what Arteta wants - do you really think he isn’t? This is the point for me because he seemed to be doing enough of what Arteta wanted pre-lockdown, whilst he wasn’t perfect or even close to it, he was playing about 10 games in a row. So, whilst it’s common to slate his running and defensive abilities, he must’ve been doing enough right to play all those games no? Or do you think Arteta just played him because they were mates before?

It’s only post lockdown that he’s been exiled fully, even worse than under emery. This is why I think it’s down to whatever happened over the wage issue, we’ve seen Arteta take the hard line with Guendouzi when he didn’t play ball and whilst they haven’t confirmed it, it seems the same with Ozil since lockdown.

Now if that’s the reason then it’s fair enough, consistency in his approach and showing no player is above the team or the club. This appears to be the most likely explanation and why it annoys me when people say it’s for footballing reasons (he’s certainly dropped off) because there was no footballing issue 9 months ago and he wasn’t any better then. I think the club just need to make a statement if they want to end the circus because until the reason is put out in the open, there will always be questions. I’d like to put it behind us as much as anyone because it’s just shit for everyone involved, club, Ozil and fans.




Tbf I can’t wait for Özil to write an autobiography on his time at here ,Would be a good read :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif: :Peace:



I still haven’t read Wenger’s tbh but I do imagine Ozil’s will be a lot more forthcoming since he gives no fucks about maintaining any ties with the club hierarchy.
Image
User avatar
Santi
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 38657
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:11 am

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Ach » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:48 pm

Saudi Arabian club Al-Nassr have made a £5 million ($6.5m) bid for Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil, reports TYC Sports.

The German is into the final year of his contract at Emirates Stadium and appears to have no future at the club having fallen out of favour under Mikel Arteta.

Ozil's £350,000-a-week wages has proven to be a stumbling block to any teams looking to sign the 31-year-old, though Al-Nassr are ready to offer him a two-year deal.


f**k them
Ach
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 20158
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby ESR10 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:50 pm

I hope he accepts. He won't feature for any minute this season and if he got a long twem contract, it would even make sense financially for him.

I can't see him moving though.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
 
Posts: 3999
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:06 am
Location: Bremen, Germany

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby UFGN » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:51 pm

alexafc12 wrote:I thought Wenger summed it up perfectly.

"Players have lost their technical quality over the past ten years.

"Athleticism has become more important than technique and decision making.


Says the guy who forced Theo feckin Walcott down our throats for a decade.... a track athlete who cant play football

Give him time though, ay Arsene.... hes still young right?

Bullshit-monger as per usual
Image
User avatar
UFGN
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019
 
Posts: 20377
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby mel4 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:58 pm

No respectable journalist is carrying that story. I suspect a clown is trying to feed the media trolls to get going on ozil love and hate during this boring international break.


........ 1 - nil to The Arsenal
mel4
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1804
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby theHotHead » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:22 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:There is no way back for Ozil because Arteta doesn't want it.

Grow up and live with it ffs, the man's only got a year left and has been ousted from the Europa squad, do you know what that means?

The only time your gonna see Ozil in action is on Fortnight.

And YOU are telling people to grow up posting this foolishness lol
User avatar
theHotHead
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 10097
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby theHotHead » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:26 pm

themessiah wrote:@HH When was the last time Özil pulled off an 8/10 in 2 games straight? Assist? We have tried all of this with Özil and it led to no where.

HH You are Clamouring for Özil, we would have won against Liverpool, Man City and beat Chelsea in the Fa cup final? Or was your favorite not in action when we lost scandalously in Baku? Where did his nifty and guile passes take us to that night?

This narrative of Arsenal freezing out Özil because he spoke out against China is false.

it's been happening before Özil came out against China's Uighur thing.

The most likely reason was probably the fact that he only notched 1 goal + 1 assist in 9 games playing most of it. And before that he only scored one goal in 7 games.

Knowing Arteta's policy when it comes to team selection, he's given Özil a second chance and probably thought he didn't deliver so finds it better just to leave him out the team.

Oh yeah, we lost those games because of Ozil right!! Talking pure bullshit. So we won the 3 FA Cups then because of Ozil too, then, right? Or does it not count because Ozil didn't get the goals or assists in those games.

So when we lose its because of Ozil but when we win and Ozil plays it is not because of Ozil. Got it buddy.
User avatar
theHotHead
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 10097
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:56 pm

Makes me laugh when when ex-managers, players, pundits and web posters harp on about players in the'good old days' having more skill and less athleticism ... more skill doing what?

No question modern training and diet have made players fitter but equally modern training and equipment have made players more skilful - peak Ozil wasn't half the player peak KDB is now - not only can KDB play all the defence splitting passes Ozil once did he can also score from anywhere on the pitch with both feet and his head, and he defends like a manic when required, more importantly from a manager's viewpoint he will retain that level for a decade ... Ozil more skilful? how ....

The use of backward looking rose tinted glasses is common in every walk of life, particularly sport, in nearly every case it's wrong. In the words of the six million dollar man (age required for that reference) better - stronger - faster and yes with modern boots they are more skilful as well. You can't stop progress and that includes football ...
EliteKiller
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4843
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:48 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Callum » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:24 am

Anyone else get the feeling that Ozil is just going to retire in 2021 when his contract expires?
User avatar
Callum
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 36891
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: Kieran Tierney's back pocket

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby swipe right » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:18 am

If Ozil stays through the end of the season Arsenal will have to pay him a 13 mil loyalty bonus. Bet that’s what they are afraid of.
swipe right
Tony Adams
Tony Adams
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 am

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby LMAO » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:27 am

Callum wrote:Anyone else get the feeling that Ozil is just going to retire in 2021 when his contract expires?


I'd imagine he'd want to play in Turkey for a little while. Could see him at Basaksehir for a couple seasons before retiring.
User avatar
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019
 
Posts: 9379
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Phil71 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:27 am

Callum wrote:Anyone else get the feeling that Ozil is just going to retire in 2021 when his contract expires?


He retired last year.
User avatar
Phil71
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7941
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby theHotHead » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:35 am

themessiah wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:I thought Wenger summed it up perfectly.

"Players have lost their technical quality over the past ten years.

"Athleticism has become more important than technique and decision making.



Wenger would never shit talk his players in public. Mourinho got to work with prime Özil who was a different beast. Emery, Ljunberg and Arteta had to deal with a declining Özil

He’s 33 now ffs, so clearly a shadow of his former self.

Granted he was one of the best midfielders in his day (2010 - 2017), but he very clearly isn’t the same player now.

So when Wenger at the end of his tenure bench him, it was maybe because Özil was not fit, when Emery benched him, he was the biggest as*hole on Earth, when Freddy benched him, he didn't know what he was doing, and now when Arteta bench him it’s because “it’s political, it is never Özil fault” lol

What are you talking about? When did Wenger bench Ozil?!!
User avatar
theHotHead
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 10097
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:44 am
Location: Norf Landon

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal FC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Trendiction [Bot] and 1 guest