Mesut Özil (10)

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:13 pm

theHotHead wrote:I honestly have no doubt - put Ozil in any other top team and he flourishes. Thats why I don't want him to be sold.

Tbh I've given up caring either way now, he's coming out of his prime and toward the downward retirement spiral so for me its not worth batting for.

If he's here and playing well great, if he goes, he's past his prime anyway so no great loss.

The last time Ozil lit the scene up was against Leicester under Emery when Ramsey helped score that amazing goal.

........... since then there's been no magic apart from a decent game in the Carabao Cup and a couple of assists.
DiamondGooner
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018

Postby swipe right » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:22 am

He needs runners off the ball. Give him runners. Nobody is making runs from deep like Ramsey, nobody is coming in off the flanks like Sanchez. Everything is too static. He has no one to pick out. Lacazette and Pepe are not helping him. Laca is a hard working dolt and Pepe is useless. Sanchez, Giroud and Ramsey were far more intelligent with their movement.
“It hurts when you’re always doing your best for your club and then you hear that you might be going to Tottenham"
- Angel di Maria
swipe right
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby VCC » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:04 am

The Teflon Don
VCC
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby theHotHead » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:34 am

swipe right wrote:He needs runners off the ball. Give him runners. Nobody is making runs from deep like Ramsey, nobody is coming in off the flanks like Sanchez. Everything is too static. He has no one to pick out. Lacazette and Pepe are not helping him. Laca is a hard working dolt and Pepe is useless. Sanchez, Giroud and Ramsey were far more intelligent with their movement.
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:32 am

I was watching old 2011 games where rvp was tearing it up. However what stood out to me was the contribution Gervinho, Walcott and Song were making with their runs and final balls. If Ozil had such smart movement around him he’d be racking up the assists again.
“It hurts when you’re always doing your best for your club and then you hear that you might be going to Tottenham"
- Angel di Maria
swipe right
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Angelito » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:27 am

swipe right wrote:I was watching old 2011 games where rvp was tearing it up. However what stood out to me was the contribution Gervinho, Walcott and Song were making with their runs and final balls. If Ozil had such smart movement around him he’d be racking up the assists again.

Gervinho's movement was really good, and it's pre-injury Theo, so he was quick like fire. Song also had the season of his life in 11/12. I agree.

We lack players with such movement right now. Part of why Ozil/Alexis worked so well was because Alexis was a WF with smart movement and excellent dribbling skills. Pepe isn't even close to Alexis, nor does he have the smarts of a Hleb or a Arshavin.

In large, we were static under Unai with only the FBs providing width. It's not a surprise that Ozil's productivity went down as soon as Unai arrived. Unai's the worst type of manager you'd want if you are a CAM or if you like to see fluid off-the-ball movement/dynamic passing.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:10 am

Unfortunately thats been the general theme since Wenger left, the movement up top has been shocking, you sit and watch games and see the man on the ball have no options. I think that is a problem with the type of players we now have, not necessarily the systems we have played. Players just stand around or make runs that will never see them get the ball.
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:14 am

Auba makes the old Henry/Sanchez runs in from the flank

Laca drops deep to hold the ball up and allow Ozil freedom to make the run into the box.

Martinelli takes Pepe’s spot and makes those lung busting Walcott runs in behind the defense for Ozil to pickup.

Cebellos overlaps with Ozil like Ramsey.
- Angel di Maria
swipe right
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Angelito » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:31 pm

theHotHead wrote:Unfortunately thats been the general theme since Wenger left, the movement up top has been shocking, you sit and watch games and see the man on the ball have no options. I think that is a problem with the type of players we now have, not necessarily the systems we have played. Players just stand around or make runs that will never see them get the ball.

Our attacking game has suffered since Wenger left. Even at his worst, we were devastating sides, and scoring was never an issue. The movement was fluid.

Now, we're so static and rigid. It's like a side that's shaped to defend than to devastate.

Excluding this season, our worst scoring season last decade was actually 15/16—a season that saw Alexis' worst in Arsenal colors and a season where Giroud decided to have the worst drought possible.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby swipe right » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:03 pm

- Angel di Maria
swipe right
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:06 pm

Very good analysis
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:45 am

Enjoy these Ozil assists at Madrid.
https://youtu.be/gHhOAhOFgxk
- Angel di Maria
swipe right
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby NovaGB » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:13 pm

Ozil is rumoured to be one of 3 players who refused the COVID paycut, i mean its up to him, but i knew this was coming haha

Could be bollocks because the Mirror is posting it, and could be them just assuming like alot of us have been when its regarding Mr. Ozil and his pay check's, but it has been posted on a few rumour sites.

I predicted it on the Arsenal fan forum on facebook last week when it was suggested the whole team did not agree to a wage cut and it was met with rage from some who refused to believe Ozil is 'in it for the money'.

Mesut Ozil has refused to join Arsenal’s players in taking a 12.5 per cent pay cut.

Ozil, who is the club’s highest earner on £350,000-a-week, has made it clear he may be willing to do it in the future but wanted to see the full financial impact of the coronavirus and did not want to rush into a decision.

It is understood that Ozil is one of three players in the first team squad not to accept the pay cut.

Ozil has made it clear he respects the other players and the group decision - but has urged them to respect his.

Ozil’s agent Dr Erkut Sogut declined to comment but recently said that players should not accept pay cuts

Sogut said earlier this month: “Deferral is an option but not to agree a cut today when the clubs may still make the same profit as last year.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... 1JF7zZixmI
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Dejan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:38 pm

Lol

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:24 pm

You wouldn't need to be Mystic Meg to have predicted this.

He doesn't give a shit about the club.
Phil71
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk