Mesut Özil (10)

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Mike Dean » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:15 am

EliteKiller wrote:Guys becoming a real liability - he is employed and paid by Arsenal football club, we have a policy of never commenting on politics or non-football issues - whilst Ozil is perfectly entitled to hold personal views, like all of us he has to abide by the policies of the company that pays his wages - NO COMMENT

His latest media foray risks severely damaging Arsenal's substantial China interests, we've been quick to distance ourselves from his comments but the damage may already have been done.

“Regarding the comments made by Mesut Özil on social media, Arsenal must make a clear statement,” it read. “The content published is Özil’s personal opinion. As a football club, Arsenal has always adhered to the principle of not involving itself in politics.”

Not at all criticising his views, just his lack of intelligence in voicing them so publicly, he has to go but I guess the CSL won't want him, nor will the MLS or any club in Europe with China contacts, in fact Turkey is probably about all that's left.

Personally, I actually appreciate him on this just as I appreciated Daryl Morey of the Houston Rockets coming out and voicing support for Hong Kong.

This is beyond politics.

This is about persecution.

When you have people being put in concentration camps and being ethnically cleansed, it is not simply "politics" sorry
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Manoban » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:17 pm

Imagine thinking that bringing attention to ethnical cleansing is a political opinion

Hope Arsenal and the FA back him instead of bending the knee for Chinese money... Oh, who am I kidding
Manoban
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby aniym » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:25 pm

Fully support Ozil's right to free speech, not to mention using his platform to shed light on injustices the world ignores. That said, with him being Erdogan's pal, he might not have such charitable comments on the Armenian genocide. But he's human, and nobody's political opinions are 20/20.

Hilarious that the club rushes to placate Chinese business interests faster than they do to stem the rot at the club.

Wonder when they'll start selling half-and-half Arsenal-Spurs scarves at the gift shop to cater to the tourists.
aniym
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Phil71 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:34 pm

What about Turkey's ethnic cleansing of Kurds?

Can we expect a statement from Ozil any time soon?
Phil71
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:41 pm

aniym wrote:Fully support Ozil's right to free speech, not to mention using his platform to shed light on injustices the world ignores. That said, with him being Erdogan's pal, he might not have such charitable comments on the Armenian genocide. But he's human, and nobody's political opinions are 20/20.

Hilarious that the club rushes to placate Chinese business interests faster than they do to stem the rot at the club.

Wonder when they'll start selling half-and-half Arsenal-Spurs scarves at the gift shop to cater to the tourists.

So it's hilarious that our club tries to protect our interests in the biggest TV market in the world? why not just wind up the club build houses on the land and give all the proceeds to charity? clearly you're no longer interested in running a competitive professional business ....

Having the tail wag the dog is not how you run a business - not if you want to remain competitive - it's what's been happening at our club for years and why we're going rapidly backwards.

Ozil is entitled to hold any political opinion he wants, but when that opinion could do serious financial damage to his employers then best he shuts the f**k up, or at the very least he gives the club a heads up first.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Santi » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Yeah let’s ignore mass persecution because it might cost us a few quid, the real Arsenal values right there.

This club is a joke
#YoPierre
Santi
Member of the Year 2017
Member of the Year 2017

Postby gamechannel » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:39 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
gamechannel wrote:Ozil or any athlete in the world (or any employee for that matter) is not owned by their employers. You probably think slavery was OK as well cuz "errr.. they were kept alive by their masters to do shit they wanted them to do... So they should really be thankful that at least they're not dead like the rest of them Blacks"... Right?

When some sad gobshite on the internet compares being a 350k a week footballer with slavery? You just know the world's gone feckin' mad ....

You clearly are a corporate tool who probably believes robots should replace human jobs eventually.

I did not compare being a 350k footballer to slavery. I said no matter how much you make or not make, no one's right to free speech (not hate speech) and freedom should be taken away whether they are a slave or a 350k footballer.

The club should have stayed silent if they couldn't say the right thing. Just like they stayed silent during Hector Bellerin's tweet about Boris Johnson.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby aniym » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:06 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
aniym wrote:Fully support Ozil's right to free speech, not to mention using his platform to shed light on injustices the world ignores. That said, with him being Erdogan's pal, he might not have such charitable comments on the Armenian genocide. But he's human, and nobody's political opinions are 20/20.

So it's hilarious that our club tries to protect our interests in the biggest TV market in the world? why not just wind up the club build houses on the land and give all the proceeds to charity? clearly you're no longer interested in running a competitive professional business ....

Having the tail wag the dog is not how you run a business - not if you want to remain competitive - it's what's been happening at our club for years and why we're going rapidly backwards.

Ozil is entitled to hold any political opinion he wants, but when that opinion could do serious financial damage to his employers then best he shuts the f**k up, or at the very least he gives the club a heads up first.

Our slide into football irrelevance and moronic transfers have done much more financial damage to the club than Ozil's comments.. The Chinese market is already highly protectionist and favours the Chinese Super League over foreign games anyway. That's why you'll see huge Liverpool or Utd fanbases in tiny countries like Singapore and Malaysia, and very little in China. That's not going to change. The CCP is autarkic to the extreme, they're looking to build domestic versions of everything, which is their right.

Players should speak their mind. This isn't the NFL where a bunch of pussy owners freeze out Kaepernick because he triggers their Confederate market segments. This also isn't the Serie A where coaches, executives and players pretend they didn't hear racist chants, so as not to offend the delicate sensibilities of the ultras.
aniym
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby elkanofan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:35 pm

LMAO wrote:Well...he ain't going to the CSL.

Lol.

Does a day go by without Ozil being divisive.

Just wait for tomorrow...
elkanofan
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Phil71 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:55 pm

Hopefully it will cause every militant Islamist to head off to China on a Jihad.
Phil71
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:20 pm

Sorry that I put Arsenal football club above the wishes of a lazy egotistical player ... thought that was all part of being a fan. Guess being politically correct is now more important than being a supporter, not surprising the atmosphere is shit, loyalty is minimal, and the c*** on AFTV now represent the state of our club ...

I don't give a f**k what happens in China, Turkey or Timbuktu when it comes to supporting my football club nothing else matters - call me an insensitive bias rose-tinted glasses Arsenal fanatic if you want - I'm very proud of that, was a time when 30,000 at Highbury would be with me, guess not anymore.

Ozil has every right to his opinion, but if soothing his ego hurts my club he can f**k off and die ... clear enough?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Manoban » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:41 pm

Oh dear
Manoban
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby gamechannel » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:56 pm

EliteKiller wrote:Sorry that I put Arsenal football club above the wishes of a lazy egotistical player ... thought that was all part of being a fan. Guess being politically correct is now more important than being a supporter, not surprising the atmosphere is shit, loyalty is minimal, and the c*** on AFTV now represent the state of our club ...

I don't give a f**k what happens in China, Turkey or Timbuktu when it comes to supporting my football club nothing else matters - call me an insensitive bias rose-tinted glasses Arsenal fanatic if you want - I'm very proud of that, was a time when 30,000 at Highbury would be with me, guess not anymore.

Ozil has every right to his opinion, but if soothing his ego hurts my club he can f**k off and die ... clear enough?

How does Ozil's personal opinion hurt your fandom towards Arsenal? How does his personal opinion about a certain humanitarian or political issue hurt Arsenal's existence as a football club?

Do you seriously think that Arsenal will cease to exist if we suddenly lose Chinese fans? Are you saying your fandom is directly correlated to the size of Arsenal's bank balance? Arsenal existed before we started selling shirts in China and will continue to exist even if Chinese ceases to exist. So don't worry, your ability to cheer for Arsenal is not going anywhere regardless of what Ozil or any other player decides to say about political issues on their own, personal social media platform.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby elkanofan » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:27 am

Maybe Ozil knows he's been dropped for tomorrows game and he's using this controversial political statement on twitter as an excuse?

Maybe the club have told him he's no longer needed at the club but to keep his ego and reputation intact longer he's using this as an excuse to why the club sell him in January so the club who buy him pay him again much more than he deserves because he's the most overrated player for the last 3 years in World football?

We all know the club cares about profit first over performance and how quickly they rushed to appease their Chinese sponsors strikes me as there is more to this than Ozil loves his mulism brothers so dearly. Ozil never has been and never ever will be a leader of men.
elkanofan
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:47 am

gamechannel wrote:How does Ozil's personal opinion hurt your fandom towards Arsenal? How does his personal opinion about a certain humanitarian or political issue hurt Arsenal's existence as a football club?

Do you seriously think that Arsenal will cease to exist if we suddenly lose Chinese fans? Are you saying your fandom is directly correlated to the size of Arsenal's bank balance? Arsenal existed before we started selling shirts in China and will continue to exist even if Chinese ceases to exist. So don't worry, your ability to cheer for Arsenal is not going anywhere regardless of what Ozil or any other player decides to say about political issues on their own, personal social media platform.

You answer your own question - if Arsenal become persona-non-grata in the fastest growing football market in the world - then Arsenal will drop like a stone in the EPL - football is all about money if you don't get that you're living on another planet.

Selling shirts? are you still in the 1980's? You silly boy it has feck all to do with selling shirts, we live in a different age where sponsorship accounts for 100's of times more revenue than selling a few feckin' shirts ... the biggest sponsors now come from Asia, you saying that Arsenal don't need them? do try and keep up.

The Houston Rockets lost over 25m after Daryl Morey made his political tweet - so this is not guesswork

If you don't think what Ozil says matters why did the club put out an instant press statement absolving us from any association with his personal opinions? Hopefully the quick response from the club will have minimised the damage. Try living in the real world of internet influence and government oversight, it's 2019 we are no longer living in the dark ages.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk