Mesut Özil (10)

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Losmeister » Sat May 11, 2019 7:22 pm

ozil hater...

see.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnd5Vr17Pw0

this is what i keep on expecting/hoping for....

it's his own standard i hold him to ie- whats hate got to do w/ it?
i want thim to do well, to do what he is capable of.
Losmeister
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby PairyGrows » Mon May 13, 2019 9:13 pm

Here's how I see the Ozil situation.

Right now, Ozil is by far our highest-paid player. His contract takes a huge chunk off our wage bill. That's only a problem if Ozil doesn't earn his wages on the pitch. Alas, he hasn't earned it this season, and it looks unlikely he will in the remaining two seasons of his contract either.

Ozil's high wages drive up the wage demands of other players in the squad as well as those of potential signings. Unfortunately, we can't meet their demands because we simply can't afford it. We can't get of Ozil either because he's more than happy to sit his contract out if need be.

All in all, giving Ozil the deal is starting to look like a huge mistake which may have far-reaching consequences.
PairyGrows
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Sims » Mon May 13, 2019 9:16 pm

It was still better to prioritise renewing him than the Chilean dog nonce

But at the end of the day we probably would’ve been better off not renewing either of their deals

Had we done that though we would’ve been a laughing stock of the footballing world
Sims
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon May 13, 2019 9:30 pm

Said from day dot giving Ozil 350k was ludicrous.

Invincibles Never Die
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Angelito » Mon May 13, 2019 10:03 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Said from day dot giving Ozil 350k was ludicrous.

Imagine your two best players walking away for free. Yeah.

What Sims said basically. We'd have been a laughing stock if both Alexis and Ozil left for free. We had to give him that much money.

And, contrary to the popular myth, Brighton's vault of treasure isn't sinking because Ozil gets paid £350k a week. In fact, Brighton.. Oh wait. Pardon me for I thought we were Brighton for a moment.

Hard to distinguish the way we act these days. It's as if Ozil's salary is the line between promise land and underperformance.

We've truly become small-time. Our thought as well as our minds.

If you ask me, I'm in favor of selling Ozil in the summer for the simple reason that I'm tired of people scapegoating him, or some acting like he's why we're not winning the World Cup.

Plus, we could finally invest that £350k a week in getting worthier, world class players like... Samuel Umtiti and Wilfried Zaha?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon May 13, 2019 10:40 pm

Angelito wrote:

Imagine your two best players walking away for free. Yeah.

What Sims said basically. We'd have been a laughing stock if both Alexis and Ozil left for free. We had to give him that much money.

And, contrary to the popular myth, Brighton's vault of treasure isn't sinking because Ozil gets paid £350k a week. In fact, Brighton.. Oh wait. Pardon me for I thought we were Brighton for a moment.

Hard to distinguish the way we act these days. It's as if Ozil's salary is the line between promise land and underperformance.

We've truly become small-time. Our thought as well as our minds.

If you ask me, I'm in favor of selling Ozil in the summer for the simple reason that I'm tired of people scapegoating him, or some acting like he's why we're not winning the World Cup.

Plus, we could finally invest that £350k a week in getting worthier, world class players like... Samuel Umtiti and Wilfried Zaha?

Well by that logic if individual salaries aren't the difference between the promised land and failure why didn't we just up Sanchez's wages and keep both?

Why didn't we offer Ramsey more money and keep hold of him instead of losing him to Juventus seeing as wages aren't an issue?

Invincibles Never Die
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Sims » Mon May 13, 2019 10:44 pm

Because Sanchez isn’t even good enough for a Championship side, really didn’t take a genius to see he was on a sharp decline

Ozil hasn’t been great but he’ll always retain his level of spark and his play style wouldn’t massively detoriate with age

Alexis on the other hand lmao, I’m so glad it happened to him. Don’t think I’ve ever hated a player as much as him in his last 18 months ever

Well you got Mustafi as well but he has a genuine retardation
Sims
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon May 13, 2019 10:47 pm

Sims wrote:Because Sanchez isn’t even good enough for a Championship side, really didn’t take a genius to see he was on a sharp decline

Must be why one of the biggest clubs in the world gave him 500k a week.

The season before we sold Sanchez he scored 30 goals in 50 apps all comps.

Also registered more assists than Ozil.

Invincibles Never Die
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Sims » Mon May 13, 2019 10:50 pm

Yeah and as soon as that season ended he turned into one of the most cancerous influences the club has ever seen

Chile not qualifying for the World Cup
Playing football with no breaks for 8 years straight

Sharp decline into a player that would struggle to get into West Ham’s side

I loved every minute of it
Sims
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month

Postby aniym » Mon May 13, 2019 10:52 pm

Wenger backed himself into a corner by not closing the £60m deal w/ City in the summer. Found himself facing losing his two most recognizable players to Mourinho, for free. Latter-day Wenger wasn't about to stand for that kind of hit to his ego, even though the situation was entirely of his own making.
aniym
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon May 13, 2019 10:55 pm

Sanchez would never have been as shit as he is now had he stayed with us.

You're acting like the joke of a manager Mourinho became didn't contribute greatly to Sanchez's decline.

He started playing for a manager who became a parody of his former self in the worst ever system.

Now he clearly doesn't give a f**k and will mail it in for the rest of his career collecting a pay check, but had he stayed with us he still would've maintained a baseline level and probably always scores at least 15 league goals a season.

Invincibles Never Die
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Sims » Mon May 13, 2019 11:00 pm

He 100% would’ve been as shit

He’s physically shot to pieces. He was mentally shot to pieces as soon as Chile didn’t qualify for the World Cup.

You could see in his last 6 months how demotivated he was and how the burst in his game was gone. The previous 12 he was acting like an arsehole and was awful to have around the dressing room

If he went to City for £60m he would’ve been as bad too, his status as an elite footballer finished as soon as that world class season ended

It happens to footballers all the time, within 2 months they lose everything that made them great; it’s not hard to see that’s what happened to Alexis

I cba talking about him anymore cos by the end of his time here I hated seeing him in our kit and I genuinely couldn’t give a toss if he died tomorrow
Sims
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon May 13, 2019 11:44 pm

Sims wrote:his status as an elite footballer finished as soon as that world class season ended

It happens to footballers all the time, within 2 months they lose everything that made them great; it’s not hard to see that’s what happened to Alexis

You could literally apply this to Ozil as well. He is finished as an Elite player and has been for well over a year, and in fact in all his years here was only really good for 18 months.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby swipe right » Tue May 14, 2019 12:07 am

Sims wrote:He 100% would’ve been as shit

He’s physically shot to pieces. He was mentally shot to pieces as soon as Chile didn’t qualify for the World Cup.

You could see in his last 6 months how demotivated he was and how the burst in his game was gone. The previous 12 he was acting like an arsehole and was awful to have around the dressing room

If he went to City for £60m he would’ve been as bad too, his status as an elite footballer finished as soon as that world class season ended

I cba talking about him anymore cos by the end of his time here I hated seeing him in our kit and I genuinely couldn’t give a toss if he died tomorrow

Sims I think his problem at United is one of not fitting into their attaching formation. He’s always played off the number 9. At Udinese he played off de Natale, at Arsenal off Giroud. Even at Barcelona while he was on the right, he played quite centrally off Messi at the time. At United he’s been used more as a traditional wide man which is not his strength. Lukaku does not have the quality to lay the ball off for him and he tends to play deeper. He’s just not able to get into the game. His career could have been revived were he to move to a club where he could play a little more centrally and not have to drop deep to get on the ball.
Five seasons before Wenger joined Arsenal league finishes were 4,10,4,12,5.
Five seasons before Emery joined 4,3,2,5,6.
End the myth that Emery inherited a shit squad and Wenger a great one.
swipe right
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue May 14, 2019 12:07 am

People can debate how good he is or not.

Fact is the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle of emotional statements or opinion.

It seems like he's here to stay, he ain't walking away from this contract and I don't think AFC want to push to off load him, they can't then they're left with a sulking player who they can't get rid of.

So I support him and hope he does well pushing forward, I'll only get on his back if I think he's not trying to help the team, right now he looks like he wants to play and get stuck in.
DiamondGooner
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk