Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Zedie » Fri May 10, 2019 6:09 pm

Sims wrote:I weren’t able to watch the game in it’s entirity

He covered a lot of ground to keep the team defensive shape, but was called on to actually put a foot in which he of course wasn't going to do so he was constantly bypassed.

What possession he did have, he retained the ball well but it resulted in a pass sideways or back or to continue the triangle.

He was largely anonymous and it simply wasn't the game for him.

Our central 3 were pretty much bypassed as they constantly attacked down the flanks or kept the ball wide and spanked it to gaya playing WF.

This was the sort of game that really showed his weaknesses from a team defensive perspective imo.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Fri May 10, 2019 6:13 pm

Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Fri May 10, 2019 6:19 pm

Klos too hard to smile
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby EliteKiller » Fri May 10, 2019 11:46 pm

Ozil has a HUGE opportunity to stamp his ability on the final ... there are no more excuses ... perform or piss off
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Nuggets » Sat May 11, 2019 5:25 am

EliteKiller wrote:Ozil has a HUGE opportunity to stamp his ability on the final ... there are no more excuses ... perform or piss off

The question is will he turn up ?
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 winner

Postby theHotHead » Sat May 11, 2019 6:48 am

themessiah wrote:
Man like Ozil
theHotHead
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby EliteKiller » Sat May 11, 2019 7:52 am

theHotHead wrote:

How about - played 62 minutes just 25 passes attempted, zero into the opponents penalty area, zero dribbles, zero headers, zero tackles, zero shots .... stats can be made to paint any picture you want ... fact is Ozil was a complete no show, he received the lowest outfield rating from both Opta and Squawka ... and you still want to big him up?

Just to put his non-performance into perspective, Xhaka completed twice as many passes ... does that make him twice as good?

As I said he now has a last chance to show up or feck off in Baku ... that's if The Don even trusts him to start .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Sat May 11, 2019 11:46 am

EliteKiller wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

How about - played 62 minutes just 25 passes attempted, zero into the opponents penalty area, zero dribbles, zero headers, zero tackles, zero shots .... stats can be made to paint any picture you want ... fact is Ozil was a complete no show, he received the lowest outfield rating from both Opta and Squawka ... and you still want to big him up?

Just to put his non-performance into perspective, Xhaka completed twice as many passes ... does that make him twice as good?

As I said he now has a last chance to show up or feck off in Baku ... that's if The Don even trusts him to start .....

What a ting!! Its like you don't understand how a CAM plays, Ozil specifically. He doesn't tackle, tackling stats are pointless. Where does he play? Usually ahead of the midfield but behind the forwards. So I expect the bulk of his passing to be from the halfway line to the edge of the offensive box. The stat shows 66% of his passes were in the opposition half, thats fair enough.

As a CAM he should be creating chances, he created 2. Headers? Ozil doesn't header, so I don't care he didn't win any headers. Zero shots, that can improve, zero dribbles, who cares as long as he is doing his job.

"Hey ho the lights are flashing, lets go Ozil bashing", I bet you wake up and thats your favourite song!
theHotHead
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby EliteKiller » Sat May 11, 2019 12:39 pm

theHotHead wrote:What a ting!! Its like you don't understand how a CAM plays, Ozil specifically. He doesn't tackle, tackling stats are pointless. Where does he play? Usually ahead of the midfield but behind the forwards. So I expect the bulk of his passing to be from the halfway line to the edge of the offensive box. The stat shows 66% of his passes were in the opposition half, thats fair enough.

So 14 passes in 62 minutes in the opponents half, not one of which was into the penalty area - that's your idea of 'fair enough' ... FFS

As a CAM he should be creating chances, he created 2. Headers? Ozil doesn't header, so I don't care he didn't win any headers. Zero shots, that can improve, zero dribbles, who cares as long as he is doing his job.

Go look up any footballing description for a CAM ... here let me give you the standard description -

CAMs are the central attacking midfielders. This is the position where most of the world's greatest players have played. It's the one position where technique always triumphs over strength. Maybe this could well be the most difficult role on the pitch these players can evade tight markers with great deft touches, finding space to either play a ball into dangerous areas for a forward to score, to shoot from the edge of the box themselves or dribble past opponents in congested areas & beat the keeper or make an assist. In short these players can create goals and score goals.

These players can absolutely dominate a game single handedly.

The description for a CAM details five key skill areas ... I highlighted the three that Ozil didn't achieve in the Mestalla ... that last line leaves me asking just when did Ozil last dominate a game single handedly ... perhaps once? twice? in the last two seasons ...

Nobody is denying that Ozil was a fantastic player, the problem you seem to be in total denial over is that he's just not doing in now ...

I'm not hiding my view, to me Ozil is synonymous with everything that went wrong over the last five years, a once great talent given a ridiculously easy ride by a failing manager, who turned into an overpaid liability who only puts in the effort only when he wants to ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CaptGooner » Sat May 11, 2019 1:38 pm

Always been a big Ozil fan but no way you can spin he had an impact on the game.
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Dejan » Sat May 11, 2019 1:42 pm

CaptGooner wrote:Always been a big Ozil fan but no way you can spin he had an impact on the game.
They will try anyway

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(

Dejan
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month

Postby Nuggets » Sat May 11, 2019 1:55 pm

CaptGooner wrote:Always been a big Ozil fan but no way you can spin he had an impact on the game.

A few on this forum will try their best :rofll:
Nuggets

Postby Angelito » Sat May 11, 2019 3:20 pm

I see you haven't gotten the #RealGooner memo.

I solemnly and irrevocably swear to put all failings of Arsenal F.C. on Mesut Özil's shoulders irregardless of whether he has participated in the the said game or in any game from any era pertaining to Dial Square.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby aniym » Sat May 11, 2019 4:10 pm

For the sake of team and fan unity ahead of our biggest cup tie in 13 years, I wish Ozil the very best and hope he can put in a big shift in Baku. We may be missing Mhikytaryan so we'll need our players to max out every ounce of talent they have for this.

COYG.

Show the spoiler
regular service will resume once the transfer window opens
aniym
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Nuggets » Sat May 11, 2019 7:16 pm

If ever there was a game we needed him to turn up it will be this one....I am not holding my breath, I hope he proves me wrong.
Nuggets

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk