Mesut Özil (10)

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby aniym » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:53 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
aniym wrote:
Do we need a star to get a return of 8-9 assists a season?

Your being a bit harsh.

Tbf the man has barely featured this season, if he were playing regularly you know he's capable of more, he's done it plenty of times.

I'm not counting this season, just the 5 others:
PL stats:

17/18: 4G 8A
16/17: 8G 9A
15/16: 6G 19A
14/15: 4G 5A
13/14: 5G 9A

He's broken double figures once in 5 years w/ us. He's been bang average for a while now.
aniym
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:43 am

ag6789 wrote:Or maybe Ozil is really sick. He might have developed chronic back problem and his knee issues also putting him down. Maybe he needs a detailed medical care.
These are very wealthy young men, reckless, with high libido, and might have abused themselves and now suffering physically.
Many top players were prone to such lifestyle, like George Best, Gascoigne (Gazza) , etc. He probably needs counseling and care.

He had been in and out with "injuries" for a while now, if they are really injuries £350k per week is not good business. I don't personally believe they are injuries.
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:45 am

aniym wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
aniym wrote:

Your being a bit harsh.

Tbf the man has barely featured this season, if he were playing regularly you know he's capable of more, he's done it plenty of times.

I'm not counting this season, just the 5 others:
PL stats:

17/18: 4G 8A
16/17: 8G 9A
15/16: 6G 19A
14/15: 4G 5A
13/14: 5G 9A

He's broken double figures once in 5 years w/ us. He's been bang average for a while now.

The problem with your post is it neglects to recognise the fact the team and the manager have been shit for a while. It also fails to make mention of the fact that Ozil has created lots of chances as the well commented stat confirms - people have not been putting those chances away.
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:04 am

Attackers Ozil has played with ~ Alexis, Giroud, Walcott, Sanogo. Lacazette, Auba (Not on a consistent basis with the latter two)

Attackers Silva has played with ~ Aguero, Tevez, Balotelli, Dzeko, Sterling, Sane, Jesus

And Ozil's still had more assists than Silva since Ozil joined Arsenal. Food for thought.

inb4 Silva plays as a DM.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby weaponx57 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:48 pm

He just needs to go so we can open up funds
weaponx57
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby BexleyGooner » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:32 pm

If he’s here, he needs to play ffs. He’s still the most creative player we have. The situation is an utter joke.

Is Emery being told not to play him to force him out?
BexleyGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:13 pm

Ozil has been underwhelming for us but I see no reason why he can't play for us.
Power n Glory
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby aniym » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:58 pm

BexleyGooner wrote:If he’s here, he needs to play ffs. He’s still the most creative player we have. The situation is an utter joke.

That would be my guess. Mhikitaryan starting over Ozil against Huddersfield leaves no doubt about that.

I think it'll backfire honestly. Inter and Juve both turned down the chance to sign him in a swap deal, and nobody can get past the wage issue. ozil holds the cards and alsp doesn't want to leave London.
aniym
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:22 pm

aniym wrote:
BexleyGooner wrote:If he’s here, he needs to play ffs. He’s still the most creative player we have. The situation is an utter joke.

That would be my guess. Mhikitaryan starting over Ozil against Huddersfield leaves no doubt about that.

I think it'll backfire honestly. Inter and Juve both turned down the chance to sign him in a swap deal, and nobody can get past the wage issue. ozil holds the cards and alsp doesn't want to leave London.

What aniym said.

This is not (as has been promoted by some especially pre Ornsteins Raul revelation) an Emery decision, Ozil staying or leaving is above his pay grade.

I'm not saying he hasn't put his opinion across and we don't know if it was positive, negative or both, but discussions from Raul and the board seem to obviously have come to the conclusion that they want to release wage cap space by getting rid of Ozil as per the news coming out.
DiamondGooner
Member of the Year 2018
Member of the Year 2018

Postby Goonerz » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:55 pm

aniym wrote:
antfosfosant wrote:The narrative on Ozil has gone too far for anything objective to be said, whether in favour of or against the player. He can play a game ( eg Cardiff) where is only player who consistently looks with very touch as though will create space and chances, and be slated for having a weak game. He can play shit for 89 mins and play a pass to win a game and be lauded as a match winner. My view (objectively!)? Overpaid yes , but to get someone of his quality and creativity, we will be paying north of £200k pw plus a chunky signing on fee (eg £40m). Assuming Ozil has sod all resale value (given his salary), any replacement will cost the same as he does in cash flow terms, give or take. If signing fee is more than £40m or contract less than 5 years, then will be more expensive than Ozil. Not sure who there is out there who is better and could be got cheaper. Certainly not enough cash for 2 or 3 stars.

Don’t waste your time pointing out that Assist per season thing. They already moved on from it long time ago.
The last time i checked they were on;
“The King of creating space for his teammates and finding pockets that no one else can”
“He is the king of Chances created”.
I think the most recent is the “He is the king of the Pre-Assist stat, that pass just before the assist stat”.

The boy came in with “The King of Assists” label. Now it’s “King of Chances Created and Pre-Assist king”.

Hahaha. I swear life can be a b”tch sometimes. Isn’t it? Even the best amongst us reach a certain time when they can’t offer anymore. :lol:
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby aniym » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:25 pm

^^ I think i created bingo board grid of Ozil excuses once. I should turn it into a wheel since we go round and round on it.

Attackers Ozil has played with ~ Alexis, Giroud, Walcott, Sanogo. Lacazette, Auba (Not on a consistent basis with the latter two)

Attackers Silva has played with ~ Aguero, Tevez, Balotelli, Dzeko, Sterling, Sane, Jesus

And Ozil's still had more assists than Silva since Ozil joined Arsenal. Food for thought.

^^ the "we didn't build the team around Ozil" excuse. How did Silva come into the conversation?

Should I point out that Ozils numbers have been beaten by Zaha and Siggurdson as well?
aniym
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:04 pm

aniym wrote:^^ I think i created bingo board grid of Ozil excuses once. I should turn it into a wheel since we go round and round on it.

^^ the "we didn't build the team around Ozil" excuse. How did Silva come into the conversation?

Should I point out that Ozils numbers have been beaten by Zaha and Siggurdson as well?

Yes, so that your soul can go back to hating Ozil in peace.

If you don't hate him, you'd still be doing much service to the Arsenal fanbase who don't like their players all that much after all. Probably the only fanbase that hates all the world class players it has had since the Invincibles era.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Dynamite » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:33 pm

Silva 76 assists since 2013/2014
Özil 73 assists since 2013/2014

/Transfermarkt

I guess the stats above are outdated. :think:
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Goonerz wrote:
aniym wrote:
antfosfosant wrote:The narrative on Ozil has gone too far for anything objective to be said, whether in favour of or against the player. He can play a game ( eg Cardiff) where is only player who consistently looks with very touch as though will create space and chances, and be slated for having a weak game. He can play shit for 89 mins and play a pass to win a game and be lauded as a match winner. My view (objectively!)? Overpaid yes , but to get someone of his quality and creativity, we will be paying north of £200k pw plus a chunky signing on fee (eg £40m). Assuming Ozil has sod all resale value (given his salary), any replacement will cost the same as he does in cash flow terms, give or take. If signing fee is more than £40m or contract less than 5 years, then will be more expensive than Ozil. Not sure who there is out there who is better and could be got cheaper. Certainly not enough cash for 2 or 3 stars.

Don’t waste your time pointing out that Assist per season thing. They already moved on from it long time ago.
The last time i checked they were on;
“The King of creating space for his teammates and finding pockets that no one else can”
“He is the king of Chances created”.
I think the most recent is the “He is the king of the Pre-Assist stat, that pass just before the assist stat”.

The boy came in with “The King of Assists” label. Now it’s “King of Chances Created and Pre-Assist king”.

Hahaha. I swear life can be a b”tch sometimes. Isn’t it? Even the best amongst us reach a certain time when they can’t offer anymore. :lol:

The idiocy of your argument is that every stat you denigrate that Ozil tops or leads applies to every other footballer in the league and was not created by an Ozil fan.

f**k me, if some people's brains actually worked ......
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:45 pm

Dynamite wrote:Silva 76 assists since 2013/2014
Özil 73 assists since 2013/2014

/Transfermarkt

I guess the stats above are outdated. :think:

Okay, Jose.

Transfermarkt have a different metric.

Could you please compare their stats from the Prem's official website, please? I can't be bothered.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk