Mesut Özil (10)

Arsenal news and interviews
Discuss anything Arsenal related, players, tactics etc.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:06 am

Interest: waning wrote:
theHotHead wrote:I think people are forgetting just how shit Wenger was, he was pure shit in the end. Thats not a goal, therefore, for Emery to look to, to say Emery is no worse this season is a non-argument. How is it acceptable for a man to be equal to the worst of a previous manager ??? Come on guys, use your brains.

I expected better from Emery, I was excited by the undefeated streak we went on, but that bubble burst and the frailties and issues that were being masked by that run have now come to the fore. We don't have shit players, Emery's job is to find a solution that works for the players we have and he has not ! If he had our football would be miles better than it is. I could accept a loss if we played good football, for me that would be signs, no, proof, that we are progressing. The league table for me this season was not important, getting a brand of football that was a joy to watch was the priority. Improving our shocking defensive displays was a priority.

Otherwise we should've just given the job to Sam Allardyce, we certainly would've been better defensively.
It is quite simple: we have many, many shit players. That's the reality.

It's only because we have Aubameyang, Lacazette, Guendouzi and Torreira (but mainly the first two) that we aren't battling Everton, Wolves and Watford.

That's how shit our squad is.

Wenger couldn't get his team to play good football for many years prior to his sacking, and that's with a group he put together in his own image.

Thats because as a coach he became awful !!! You can't tell me that it is more difficult to play good football with the players we have now, than the players we had before - Walcott, Giroud, Coquelin, Bendtner, Gervinho, Chamakh, Denilson, Squillaci, Almunia, Flappyhandski, Carl Jenkinson, Oxlade Chamberlain, Arteta et al.
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby swipe right » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Wenger became shit because he missed top four twice in 22 years? Once by a single point? He won three cups in the last five years. If this is shit management what can one call Pochetino?
Taxi for Unai
swipe right
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:37 pm

swipe right wrote:Wenger became shit because he missed top four twice in 22 years? Once by a single point? He won three cups in the last five years. If this is shit management what can one call Pochetino?

No, real fans don't see 4th place as a "thing" mate!

The shit football we played despite spending more money on players and increasing wage bill is the reason Wenger became shit.
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Angelito » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:56 pm

theHotHead wrote:
swipe right wrote:Wenger became shit because he missed top four twice in 22 years? Once by a single point? He won three cups in the last five years. If this is shit management what can one call Pochetino?

No, real fans don't see 4th place as a "thing" mate!

The shit football we played despite spending more money on players and increasing wage bill is the reason Wenger became shit.

In defense of Wenger, the signings of Mustafi, Perez, and arguably Xhaka are rumored to be StatDNA based Gazidis signings. It's a reaction after Wenger refused to sign anyone in the summer of 2015.

Unfortunately, top-4 is a thing. It's what United want as a bare minimum. It's what Chelsea owners want on a consistent basis. It's what Spurs live for. In that sense, Wenger's won a trophy or finished in the top-4 every season barring his final season.

We wanted to get rid of Wenger because of those constant humiliations in the UCL; because he wasn't getting the best out of the squad, and because we'd grown stale. We didn't want to get rid of Wenger so that we could get an even worse manager. Just because Wenger was underperforming in his final years - it doesn't mean we settle for someone worse. This is black humor. Ugh.

In defense of Emery, nonetheless, if he does manage to reach the SFs of the EL or we fight for top-4 until the final day of the season, I'm willing to give him more time. But if our style doesn't improve next season, he should be sacked. He doesn't have a positive track record and is basically a glorified David Moyes.

My opinion.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:41 pm

I would rather be in the Europa League and win it than be humiliated in the CL.

I can't say I am any happier to finish 4th than finishing 5th or 6th, I feel exactly the same way in all honesty.

What about the rest of you?
theHotHead
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:47 pm

I'd like us to finish 4th in hope that the money boost improves the squad towards a future title challenge.

As for overall bragging rights between 4th-6th and such like, I couldn't give a f**k. Only ones who can brag are the champs. It's purely financial after that.
#YoPierre
Santi
Member of the Year 2017
Member of the Year 2017

Postby Dynamite » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:54 pm

Santi wrote:I'd like us to finish 4th in hope that the money boost improves the squad towards a future title challenge.

As for overall bragging rights between 4th-6th and such like, I couldn't give a f**k. Only ones who can brag are the champs. It's purely financial after that.

Pretty much
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Pudpop » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:10 pm

Well I definitely prefer watching CL to watching Europa, so I prefer 4th
'The Turkish Diddler' ~ O(z)il on Canvas, © 2017
Pudpop
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:16 pm

Prefer watching us get tonked? We're comfortably one of the weakest teams in the knockout phase assuming we get there.

Europa league for me has been way more fun, but guess that's cos I get some fun away trips out of it. If we could have the money from CL and play EL i'd be fine with staying in it for a couple of years, we're not ready to take on the top end of CL.
#YoPierre
Santi
Member of the Year 2017
Member of the Year 2017

Postby Pudpop » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:26 pm

Santi wrote:Prefer watching us get tonked? We're comfortably one of the weakest teams in the knockout phase assuming we get there.

Europa league for me has been way more fun, but guess that's cos I get some fun away trips out of it. If we could have the money from CL and play EL i'd be fine with staying in it for a couple of years, we're not ready to take on the top end of CL.

Eh we got tonked under AW. Emery has shown he can win home games against the top 6, maybe he'll be able to pull it off in the CL for us.

Either way the EL is boring until the semis for those of us who can't travel to the games
'The Turkish Diddler' ~ O(z)il on Canvas, © 2017
Pudpop
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:37 pm

I'd hope so but he's also showed just as much capability of getting tonked in away games (City, Liverpool) and we've not exactly been perfect at home (City, United, Spurs in cup).

I'd expect against the very top teams it'd be a similar story for now, maybe not quite 10-2 but not much better.
#YoPierre
Santi
Member of the Year 2017
Member of the Year 2017

Postby Dejan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:41 pm

Santi wrote:Prefer watching us get tonked? We're comfortably one of the weakest teams in the knockout phase assuming we get there.

Rather play in cl and go out in the knockout phases against any decent opposition than playing in the europa league and obligated to play against eastern europe clubs none ever heard of every round.

I rarely enjoyed the europa.league games so far

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:57 pm

I admit they're pretty boring when watching on tv, should give more chance to the kids in the comp tbh.
#YoPierre
Santi
Member of the Year 2017
Member of the Year 2017

Postby Goonerz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Dejan wrote:

Rather play in cl and go out in the knockout phases against any decent opposition than playing in the europa league and obligated to play against eastern europe clubs none ever heard of every round.

It’s like saying, “I would rather drop down into the Championship rather than stay in the EPL because the likes of City, Liverpool etc keep tonking us”.

How our confidence and self esteem as a fanbase has been degraded in the last 5 or so season. Sad that this is where we are as a club.
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:16 pm

Goonerz wrote:
Dejan wrote:

It’s like saying, “I would rather drop down into the Championship rather than stay in the EPL because the likes of City, Liverpool etc keep tonking us”.

How our confidence and self esteem as a fanbase has been degraded in the last 5 or so season. Sad that this is where we are as a club.

That's not the same or what I was saying at all you complete spanner. The drop is incomparable.

I'm more than on board with the fact we should never accept second best but there's literally only financial benefit from finishing 4th compared to 5th or 6th. We won't win the CL without big improvements so it's not essential to be in it, what is essential is to get back to the top of the league first and go from there.

Plus like I said, it's f***ing fun going to the EL away games.
#YoPierre
Santi
Member of the Year 2017
Member of the Year 2017

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk