The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:25 pm

Martinelli is not an attacking midfielder. he's either a striker or winger

He has experience of playing as a 10, striker and a winger. That's a pretty poor explanation in fact. If he's supposed to be playing a false 9 role and we need someone that is energetic, has pace technique, can dribble, why would you pick Ozil for that role and dismiss Martinelli because you've boxed him into a category? It especially doesn't make sense that he's the one player that can't adjust to role but we have our two best strikers playing much further away from the box and on the wing where they're not as dangerous.

I'm not arguing for arguments sakes on the Baku example either. You're deflecting and that's a genuine point. We are here to debate, right? We lost 4-1 to Chelsea in Baku when Ozil last played in a 3-5-2. Emery feeling the pressure to play Ozil is one thing but that doesn't mean he has to deploy him a position that he doesn't feel Ozil is suited for and it means we weaklen Lacazette and Aubameyang in the process. It's not just the handling of Ozil that has put Emery under pressure. I've said it before, if we were playing good football and winning, only a few would still discuss Ozil. I wouldn't necessarily care for this topic.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:32 pm

elkanofan wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:\

Xhaka has no ability to protect the ball at all - which is not really about strength (more technique). Strength is irrelevant.
Xhaka often dispossessed and also often in really bad areas.

Guendouzi is far better at protecting the ball and so is Ozil. Ozil doesn't need strength - he retains possession through skill and technique.

I think you place too much importance on raw strength, which gives away your lack of football knowledge.

:rofll: Well sometimes the comedy just writes itself.

Wow, its not just you had no idea why on earth i even mentioned Xhaka being our strongest midfielder in pure strength terms which is vital for the Premier League especially for defensive minded players in midfield. It was to give a reason why playing 3 at the back now is the best way forward until we get another midfielder since Xhaka being a emotional fudge and dosen't want to play and the rest of our midfielders are all weaklings bar the midget Torreria.

Ozil doesn't need strength - he retains possession through skill and technique.

:rofll: I'm sure Ozil's skills which he never uses anymore even on the ball will really help us be more defensively solid without possession :rofll:

Sorry but you do same some really moronic crap at times to defend your beloved Ozil. Try to at least understand the discussion before making a total fool you of yourself.

What a ridiculous comment :rofll:

As i said - if you think that strength is the determining factor in retaining possession, holding the ballor protecting the back four , you just prove you are totally clueless.
Shielding the ball, retaining posession in key areas requires skill and awareness, not strength.
Xhaka might be physically strong, but he's easy to disposses and exposes the back four time and time again.
Ozil retains posession far more effectively yet is physically weaker.

You really do need to try a different sport bud. Weight lifting maybe? Anything but football. I have never seen anyone on any forum who knows less about the game than you do.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:38 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
elkanofan wrote:

Xhaka has no ability to protect the ball at all - which is not really about strength (more technique). Strength is irrelevant.

Guendouzi is far better at protecting the ball and so is Ozil. Ozil doesn't need strength - he retains possession through skill and technique.

I think you place too much importance on raw strength, which gives away your lack of football knowledge.

Wow, its not just you had no idea why on earth i even mentioned Xhaka being our strongest midfielder in pure strength terms which is vital for the Premier League especially for defensive minded players in midfield. It was to give a reason why playing 3 at the back now is the best way forward until we get another midfielder since Xhaka being a emotional fudge and dosen't want to play and the rest of our midfielders are all weaklings bar the midget Torreria.

:rofll: I'm sure Ozil's skills which he never uses anymore even on the ball will really help us be more defensively solid without possession :rofll:

Sorry but you do same some really moronic crap at times to defend your beloved Ozil. Try to at least understand the discussion before making a total fool you of yourself.

As i said - if you think that strength is the determining factor in retaining possession and holding the ball , you just prove you are totally clueless.
Shielding the ball, retaining posession requires skill and awareness, not strength.
Xhaka might be physically strong, but he's easy to disposses.

You really do need to try a different sport bud.

Agree with you on this one. Xhaka was hiding from the ball in his last appearance. He can't turn on the ball under pressure and loses possession. It doesn't take strength to hold possession of the ball and I can't believe someone would rate him over Ozil for possession play.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:43 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:You have a lot to learn about the game if you think Ozil was the issue yesterday.
We were away to a top 4 side. Our front 3 were never going to get as much of the ball.

It's strange because last week against Wolves Ozil had 110 touches and 3 key passes, yet you were not on here talking about how well he played.
You pick and choose stats based on your agenda, fella.

Yesterday, Ozil did a good job when he got the ball - linking play and retaining posession. He was all over the pitch, working hard as his heat map shows, making himself available. He didn't lose posession at all and was our top tackler (yep!). It was a solid 6 to 7 out of 10. Not great, but not bad, but enough to be our best player. In fact, since he's come back, he's easily been our best player.

Should be the first name on the team sheet and Emery should be removed for only giving him 250 minutes all season. Stupid decision.

You think Ozil is the future of Arsenal football club - I think that makes you an idiot - others can make up their own mind ...

EK we have had our differences but I respect you as a poster. Your hatred of Ozil does make you post some nonsense though!! How from Jayram',s post can you take away he thinks Ozil is the future of Arsenal!!!

You lose your credibility posting shite like that.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
elkanofan wrote:

As i said - if you think that strength is the determining factor in retaining possession and holding the ball , you just prove you are totally clueless.
Shielding the ball, retaining posession requires skill and awareness, not strength.

Agree with you on this one. Xhaka was hiding from the ball in his last appearance. He can't turn on the ball under pressure and loses possession. It doesn't take strength to hold possession of the ball and I can't believe someone would rate him over Ozil for possession play.

The one thing - above all else - that exposes a back four is when a midfielder loses the ball in a key area and exposes the defence to runners - Xhaka is the king of that particular eff up. You're right, It's incredible that he would be positioned as the type of player we need to protect the back four. Beyond belief really. But, I think it's more to do with such a hatred of Ozil he has to be blamed for everything. Elko even blamed him for the defending in the EL loss! Crazy.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:58 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
elkanofan wrote:

The one thing - above all else - that exposes a back four is when a midfielder loses the ball in a key area and exposes the defence to runners - Xhaka is the king of that particular eff up. You're right, It's incredible that he would be positioned as the type of player we need to protect the back four. Beyond belief really. But, I think it's more to do with such a hatred of Ozil he has to be blamed for everything. Elko even blamed him for the defending in the EL loss! Crazy.

Xhaka hides in sight. I'm so glad MOTD pointed out that sequence of play where he was moving a away from space and close to opposition players so he couldn't recieve the ball. He makes it difficult to play the ball out from the back because he doesn't want the ball under pressure and if he loses it he is bypassed easily. When he attempts to close down an opponent, it's hands behind the back, slow approach and give the opponent all the time to cross or shoot. I have no idea how we accommodate a player so limited.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:06 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
elkanofan wrote:

Xhaka hides in sight. I'm so glad MOTD pointed out that sequence of play where he was moving a away from space and close to opposition players so he couldn't recieve the ball. He makes it difficult to play the ball out from the back because he doesn't want the ball under pressure and if he loses it he is bypassed easily. When he attempts to close down an opponent, it's hands behind the back, slow approach and give the opponent all the time to cross or shoot. I have no idea how we accommodate a player so limited.

Maybe he could do some weightlifting in the centre circle ... that's bound to protect the back four...seeing just how strong he is. :sneaky:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:07 pm

He'd fit right in with Kolasinac.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby elkanofan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:31 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

As i said - if you think that strength is the determining factor in retaining possession, holding the ballor protecting the back four , you just prove you are totally clueless.
Shielding the ball, retaining posession in key areas requires skill and awareness, not strength.

This is legendary lool. Just shut the hell up and stop digging yourself into an even bigger hole your already in.

This is so funny. If he actually goes back and reads the context of what i said. Oh dear. Oh dear, Wow. So determined to get one on me you make a fool out of yourself in the process.

Wow. Cognitive dissonance at its finest. Jayram. Your not arguing with anyone and you don't even realise.

Learn to read someone's full post before you jump in.

Incredible.

Xhaka might be physically strong, but he's easy to disposses and exposes the back four time and time again.

You really do need to try a different sport bud. Weight lifting maybe? Anything but football. I have never seen anyone on any forum who knows less about the game than you do.

:rofll: :rofll: :rofll:

You need to learn to read man. Seriously.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Chris Sharma » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:45 pm

Mesut will start the next games for sure if he is fit. He is needed in the team.

Mods could do something with this one clown.
Chris Sharma
Michael Thomas

Postby elkanofan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:47 pm

Power n Glory wrote:

He has experience of playing as a 10, striker and a winger. That's a pretty poor explanation in fact. If he's supposed to be playing a false 9 role and we need someone that is energetic, has pace technique, can dribble, why would you pick Ozil for that role and dismiss Martinelli because you've boxed him into a category?

At what level does Martinelli have playing as a 10? He's played as a striker or winger since being here and from all we have seen his best positions is again either as a striker or on the wing. He's 18 years old. He's done really well vs vastly inferior opposition.

He's still a baby, just 18. Its stupid to throw him into a game like that to play a role which certainly isn't his best role and he's still not quite on the pace for premier league matches yet.

It especially doesn't make sense that he's the one player that can't adjust to role but we have our two best strikers playing much further away from the box and on the wing where they're not as dangerous.

You couldn't give me credit for anything because I've annoyed you this much so your making a huge thing out of nothing.

We are all supposed to be Arsenal fans but some of you are so hopelessly insecure about being right you just want to prove me wrong rather than even understand or debate.

I'm being really light on all of you btw. I mean I'm just happy to try and show you certain levels of discussion. But you guys are way too obsessed with being right for your ego rather than keep a cool head like me a discuss.

You are clearly a good poster. You have good knowledge on the game. Much more than guys like Hothead, jay rambling on about nothing. Stop trying to prove me wrong, just chill. Discuss.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:48 pm

Agendas

If hes fit, let him play

If he gives us his negative body language and cant be arsed to chase balls routine, drop him again

Simple as that
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby LMAO » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:58 pm

elkanofan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

He has experience of playing as a 10, striker and a winger. That's a pretty poor explanation in fact. If he's supposed to be playing a false 9 role and we need someone that is energetic, has pace technique, can dribble, why would you pick Ozil for that role and dismiss Martinelli because you've boxed him into a category?

At what level does Martinelli have playing as a 10? He's played as a striker or winger since being here and from all we have seen his best positions is again either as a striker or on the wing. He's 18 years old. He's done really well vs vastly inferior opposition.

He's still a baby, just 18. Its stupid to throw him into a game like that to play a role which certainly isn't his best role and he's still not quite on the pace for premier league matches yet.

tbf Bale started out as a LB, then became a world class winger.

18 is still a little young to make definitive position declarations.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby elkanofan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:21 pm

LMAO wrote:
tbf Bale started out as a LB, then became a world class winger.

18 is still a little young to make definitive position declarations.

True. However I'm sorry but we shouldn't be demanding so much from a young player who still in his 2nd season as a pro expecting him to perform in a position which clearly isn't his strongest.

He has no passing range to play attacking mid anyway effectively.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:25 pm

elkanofan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

It especially doesn't make sense that he's the one player that can't adjust to role but we have our two best strikers playing much further away from the box and on the wing where they're not as dangerous.

You couldn't give me credit for anything because I've annoyed you this much so your making a huge thing out of nothing.

We are all supposed to be Arsenal fans but some of you are so hopelessly insecure about being right you just want to prove me wrong rather than even understand or debate.

I'm being really light on all of you btw. I mean I'm just happy to try and show you certain levels of discussion. But you guys are way too obsessed with being right for your ego rather than keep a cool head like me a discuss.

You are clearly a good poster. You have good knowledge on the game. Much more than guys like Hothead, jay rambling on about nothing. Stop trying to prove me wrong, just chill. Discuss.

I'm chilled and we're just talking football. It's nothing personal, we just have a different point of view. Yes, I know football and I know how to hold an argument when I have the time.

Martinelli had zero experience at the top level playing in any position but has hit the ground running here at Arsenal. It's either we explore the options we have with players that may suit the role or keep playing with Ozil, a player you say isn't suited. I think it's possible for Ozil to play that role despite it not being my preference in that formation. When you look up our wins against Man Utd, Rennes, Napoli and Valencia, we played this same formation and won. Ozil was involved for most games and Ramsey didn't play in either of the Valencia games. It's unfair to pin all the blame on Ozil for a loss but ignore his part when we have won. Overall, Emery has to find some stability and stop making such drastic changes game to game. He also can't hide behind fan backlash for picking Ozil. He has to man up and show some conviction behind his choices. The fact that he keeps swapping and changing despite admitting he prefers a certain style and formation suggest he's weak willed.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club