The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby StLGooner » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:55 pm

Mike Dean wrote:Let me explain how idiotic Sallenhi and Emery's decision to not play Ozil to force him to leave is....

If Ozil was still playing for the German national team, he would think twice about it, and keeping his spot on the national team. But he is not! He can easily sit back and say that's fine, dont pick me, I will gladly keep collecting the checks, while you come out looking like idiots. And that's exactly what him and his agent will do. If it comes down to battle of attrition, Ozil has nothing to lose. He is getting paid one way or another.

Sallenhi and Emery are also hurting themselves in winning/financial terms. You dont need to play Ozil all the games but there a number of games where he can be instrumental in wins because of his creativity. We are severely lacking in creativity. It is better to play Ozil to secure some of those wins and possibly secure a 4th place finish, than not play him at all, miss out completely on top 4, AND lose out on CL money! You have to give yourself a chance at least. But their current course might have them paying Ozil to sit on the bench and losing out the CL money which they can spend.

The management is seriously shooting themselves in the foot with this bizarre decision. Mlisntat leaving makes it even worse.

I agree with most of that. However I do think Ozil has something to lose. He's losing sharpness, he's losing form, and losing game fitness, not to mention time in general as his career is on the down slope. Plus, if he is indeed going to be sold, he would want to play as much as possible so that any potential buyers can see that he still can play good enough. I think it's hurting him just as much tbh. We only assume that athletes want to sit on the bench and just collect checks. I'm sure there are some out there like that, but if his agent is any good, he would want his client to be playing as much as possible.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:38 am

Angelito wrote:With the way we're going, it pains me to say that we will undo all of Wenger's work and regress in years to come.

It's not down to Emery alone, of course. We've opened Pandora's box and we don't have any wizard to undo the jinx.

Wenger had already been undoing his own work for years, the moment he decided to stop competing.
He spent more time complaining about players prices and what other clubs were doing and chasing bargain players we didn't even need than doing whatever he could to win.

Not sure why all of a sudden you've got these rose tinted glasses for Wenger like we didn't finish 6th last year?

We went from top 2 to top 3 to top 4 to 6th, that's a steady degrading over the last 6 years or so, we were not going up the table but the opposite.

Remember when we used to have a go in the CL, then we became an embarrassment and whipping boy for the better teams, Barca, Bayern etc we used to get turned over like a pancake it was fkin embarrassing.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:55 am

Emery does not have the ability to manage a flair player like Ozil. He is a small team manager who grinds out wins where possible. You see how he sets up the team and it’s all industrial. Press high, hold the ball even at the cost of creating chances. Nobody making runs off the ball. Not only will he ruin Ozil, he will ruin Laca and Auba as well. It’s only a mater of time before they fall out with him.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:00 am

Yeah no clue what Ang is on about.

He's making it sound like Wenger had built us back up to the brink of title contention or something.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby LMAO » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:35 am

Angelito wrote:With the way we're going, it pains me to say that we will undo all of Wenger's work and regress in years to come.

It's not down to Emery alone, of course. We've opened Pandora's box and we don't have any wizard to undo the jinx.

I'd love for that to happen. The monkey's paw curls.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:22 am

StLGooner wrote:
Mike Dean wrote:Let me explain how idiotic Sallenhi and Emery's decision to not play Ozil to force him to leave is....

If Ozil was still playing for the German national team, he would think twice about it, and keeping his spot on the national team. But he is not! He can easily sit back and say that's fine, dont pick me, I will gladly keep collecting the checks, while you come out looking like idiots. And that's exactly what him and his agent will do. If it comes down to battle of attrition, Ozil has nothing to lose. He is getting paid one way or another.

Sallenhi and Emery are also hurting themselves in winning/financial terms. You dont need to play Ozil all the games but there a number of games where he can be instrumental in wins because of his creativity. We are severely lacking in creativity. It is better to play Ozil to secure some of those wins and possibly secure a 4th place finish, than not play him at all, miss out completely on top 4, AND lose out on CL money! You have to give yourself a chance at least. But their current course might have them paying Ozil to sit on the bench and losing out the CL money which they can spend.

The management is seriously shooting themselves in the foot with this bizarre decision. Mlisntat leaving makes it even worse.

I agree with most of that. However I do think Ozil has something to lose. He's losing sharpness, he's losing form, and losing game fitness, not to mention time in general as his career is on the down slope. Plus, if he is indeed going to be sold, he would want to play as much as possible so that any potential buyers can see that he still can play good enough. I think it's hurting him just as much tbh. We only assume that athletes want to sit on the bench and just collect checks. I'm sure there are some out there like that, but if his agent is any good, he would want his client to be playing as much as possible.

It seems as though a Ozil has lost his passion for football. If he's still here this time next year and nothing much has changed you have to question his professional pride. Where is that drive to want to play and be considered as one of the best? To win things? He's only just turned 30 and should realise he only has a few years left at the top level.

An unbelievable situation. Managed so badly on both sides and bloody embarrassing.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:44 am

LMAO wrote:

Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby ESR10 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:28 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
LMAO wrote:

ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:31 am

StLGooner wrote:

I don't think Ozil has anything to lose, I have no doubt that even if he goes on strike for the remainder of his contract, he is still Ozil, he will still attract big clubs - perhaps not the biggest but certainly our equivalents elsewhere.

Its not like he is sitting down doing nothing, he is still training so won't ever be really unfit, just lacking in match fitness.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:42 am

Emery is not going to win this fight.
Ozil will tough it out.
Results will continue to suffer.
Pressure will mount on emery to bring him back.
Emery has painted himself into a corner on this one.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Rockape » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:22 pm

swipe right wrote:Emery is not going to win this fight.
Ozil will tough it out.
Results will continue to suffer.
Pressure will mount on emery to bring him back.
Emery has painted himself into a corner on this one.

No one will win this fight, because there are no winners! To explain.....the only way anyone would win, is if Ozil came back into the team, played a blinder, driving the team to unexpected victories, or....if Emery managed to find someone to buy him, or just take him off our hands, whilst paying his wages.

Lets face it, neither option is likely! :(
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby BS221B » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 pm

If Arsene left for Real Madrid in 2004, today Arsenal could have been another Leeds United. You are able to watch world class players like Ozil, Aubameyang and Ramsey on Arsenal thanks to Wenger, deal with it.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:44 pm

Not so, we bought world class players before Wenger!! And Arsenal wouldn't do a Leeds because we have never spent more than we earn through our football activities.

You know NOTHING about Arsenal!
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby StLGooner » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:44 pm

theHotHead wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

I don't think Ozil has anything to lose, I have no doubt that even if he goes on strike for the remainder of his contract, he is still Ozil, he will still attract big clubs - perhaps not the biggest but certainly our equivalents elsewhere.

Its not like he is sitting down doing nothing, he is still training so won't ever be really unfit, just lacking in match fitness.

From my experience players always want to be playing. They lose that sharpness, they lose that drive. It's talked about a lot actually, plus his agent can't be happy with him just sitting, that doesn't equal money when he goes to his next team. Training is one thing, but games are a whole other level. Going to have to politely disagree there.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:45 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

It seems as though a Ozil has lost his passion for football. If he's still here this time next year and nothing much has changed you have to question his professional pride. Where is that drive to want to play and be considered as one of the best? To win things? He's only just turned 30 and should realise he only has a few years left at the top level.

An unbelievable situation. Managed so badly on both sides and bloody embarrassing.

You're making it sound like he's the one that has asked to be benched.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club