The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby PairyGrows » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:29 pm

I've sung Ozil's praises so many times. Likewise, I've been as vocal about his shortcomings as a player. To me, Ozil is still the most talented player in the squad who can change the game if he puts his mind to it. Yet I can't help feeling that his contract has been a huge mistake.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:30 pm

Glad that Ozil is getting on with business, although social media is really marketing and brand awareness more than anything else.

I would love nothing more than to see Ozil return against Chelsea and show some real hunger on the pitch, as opposed to the galaxy brain 4d chess match that people insist is taking place in his head.

Take Pogba ahead of the Manchester derby in 2018. Pep tried to unsettle the team the night before by claiming Raiola offered Pogba to City. Pogba shows up at the Etihad and snags 2 goals, leading a hapless Utd down 0-2, to a 3-2 win.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:38 pm

Sims wrote:

He looks like he has never visited a gym tbf
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Goonerz » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:14 pm

Lol.

THE OZIL DELUSION CONTINUES.

Complete meltdowns on here. People are absolutely besides themselves all because their prince is being told to man up. I am glad the wenger days are over. Wrapped all our divas of players in cotton wool.

Out: Gazidis, Wenger (even if I used to be an AKB until 2015), Ramsey, Wilshere (even if i rated him in his early years) etc.

Soon Out: Ozil is on his last leg here.

The biggest one: I wish Silent Stan Kroenke has another brain fart and accidentally or in a panic sells our club to a more deserving owner. That same brain fart he had when he awarded Ozil with more than £300,000 a week. Miracles can happen. :pray:

So stale, dormant and stagnant.

Need a complete overhaul from top down :pray:
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:07 pm

Goonerz, get back under that rock you crawled out from under.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby BrunelGooner » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:43 pm

Some of you have short memories it seems.

Ozil came on as a substitute against Southampton and people were blaming him for losing possession that led to Austin's goal (which I didn't agree with due to how far up the pitch he was and we had loads of players out of position). People were saying he's finished.

Ozil started against Brighton and didn't really influence the game. People were saying he's still not cutting it. I didn't think Emery should have taken him off at half-time, he should have given him 10-15 minutes in the second-half at least, but people said they understood the decision to take him off and put Iwobi on, as their full back was on a yellow card and Iwobi could isolate/run at him.

Yet when people on here and people on social media were criticising Ozil for being ineffective, all of a sudden, people are criticising Emery for not putting Ozil in the team. Completely ignoring his minimal influence in 2 of the other 3 away matches we had prior to the West Ham game.

FYI - I didn't agree with Emery's decision to exclude Ozil from the squad entirely, as we should have had him as an option from the bench at the very least. But people are quick to forget how poor/average he's been for most of this season. So I could at least understand (to an extent) Emery's decision to leave him out.

We kept making excuses for him saying oh he's not got a DM behind him to protect him/give him freedom or oh he's got Giroud up front which is hindering him. But now we've got Torreira/Guendouzi in DM and he's got Aubameyang/Lacazette up front, yet he's still not really been doing the business for us.

The guy has lost his edge. Given that we have no other creative player in the side, I think we should probably use him more as we literally have no-one else. But that's the only feasible reason to use him, it's not because he's been displaying his quality consistently, it's because we literally don't have a single player who can replace him.

And that says nothing about how good he is and everything about the sorry state of our squad.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Ach » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:29 pm

Arsenal manager Unai Emery is happy to allow German playmaker Mesut Ozil, 30, to leave the club in order to free up funds for two new signings. Ozil is currently Arsenal's highest-earning player on a £350,000-a-week contract. (Mail)
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:43 pm

Santi wrote:f**k Emery I back Ozil.

At first I wasn't convinced there was a fight but too many times he's been completely dropped now for that to be untrue.

100% he starts against Chelsea and Emery hopes he plays shit to justify it all.

Why? He's lead the squad to our first two finishes outside the CL in 20 years .. just what are you backing him to do next?

Ozil is now playing mind games with his "No matter what ... put in the work" bullshit, where was that attitude when he was "ill" and having mystery "back spasms" ... where's was that attitude on the pitch? ... he's just undermining the new manager with this social media crap.

He's now becoming poison in my book, will split the fan base (already has) and quite possibly the dressing room as well, love him or hate him he's now damaging our club, we have to get rid .... another four months of this and forget top four, top six will be our lot.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:47 pm

Ach wrote:
Arsenal manager Unai Emery is happy to allow German playmaker Mesut Ozil, 30, to leave the club in order to free up funds for two new signings. Ozil is currently Arsenal's highest-earning player on a £350,000-a-week contract. (Mail)

Whether that's true or not that article is only doing what we're doing and following bread crumbs, that is not an official statement from anyone connected with AFC.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:03 am

EliteKiller wrote:

At first I wasn't convinced there was a fight but too many times he's been completely dropped now for that to be untrue.

Why? He's lead the squad to our first two finishes outside the CL in 20 years .. just what are you backing him to do next?

Ozil is now playing mind games with his "No matter what ... put in the work" bullshit, where was that attitude when he was "ill" and having mystery "back spasms" ... where's was that attitude on the pitch? ... he's just undermining the new manager with this social media crap.

He's now becoming poison in my book, will split the fan base (already has) and quite possibly the dressing room as well, love him or hate him he's now damaging our club, we have to get rid .... another four months of this and forget top four, top six will be our lot.

He hasn’t split the dressing room whatsoever, don’t make up rubbish
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:14 am

Sims wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

If only you could learn to read -
will split the fan base (already has) and quite possibly the dressing room as well

Please note the use of future tense 'will' and the adverb 'possibly' ....

Please don't 'make up rubbish' yourself when you can't at least comprehend the post you're responding to .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:24 am

My question to you folks is who do you think we could get to replace someone of Ozil's quality even if we sell him?

We're not getting Isco, who's not Ozil quality but still.

I doubt any top class player would want to play for Emery after this fiasco and the Neymar/Cavani one before. We won't offer anyone as high wages for them to sign regardless of other factors.

Alexis and Ozil are the last two world class players we signed. The players we're linked with since Emery's come here have mostly been at Xhaka's level. There's Lacazette and Aubameyang—both who signed when Wenger was here. Auba even said that he signed for Arsenal to play for Wenger.

Does Emery have the clout to attract such players? It's debatable.

But if you people think that getting rid of Ozil means we'd be signing quality players, oh boy, brace yourselves.

Of course, I'd rather we kept Ozil and binned Emery.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:27 am

Angelito wrote:My question to you folks is who do you think we could get to replace someone of Ozil's quality even if we sell him?

We're not getting Isco, who's not Ozil quality but still.

I doubt any top class player would want to play for Emery after this fiasco and the Neymar/Cavani one before. We won't offer anyone as high wages for them to sign regardless of other factors.

Alexis and Ozil are the last two world class players we signed. The players we're linked with since Emery's come here have mostly been at Xhaka's level. There's Lacazette and Aubameyang—both who signed when Wenger was here. Auba even said that he signed for Arsenal to play for Wenger.

Does Emery have the clout to attract such players? It's debatable.

But if you people think that getting rid of Ozil means we'd be signing quality players, oh boy, brace yourselves.

Of course, I'd rather we kept Ozil and binned Emery.

The problem is which Ozil are you talking about?

The 27 year old Ozil who played 3,049 minutes tearing up the EPL with 6 goals and 19 assists - a player that would cost 150m to replace if such a player would come to a non CL club.

or 30 year old Ozil who has only managed 981 minutes and is hardly lighting up the EPL with 3 goals and 1 assist - there's 50 players in the EPL alone with better returns, probably pick up a 27 year old Shaqiri type squad player for under 20m ... Shaqiri has played 892 minutes with 6 goals and 2 assists, so twice as big a contribution as Ozil ....

Keep a 30 year old player who's done nothing much for 18 months, and sack a manager (blowing all our transfer budget paying him off) a manager who's been here for half a season with a very average squad ... yup that makes good sense.

Ozil is finished, or at the very least his career is on the way down, if we hadn't given him a stupid contract he'd have be off to China or the US last summer for a final payday, we just got mugged. We don't need to replace him we are scoring plenty of goals without him. What we need to do is to use his salary to replace the crap defensive midfield and crap central defenders that ship goals for fun.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Rockape » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:56 am

It’s not just finding a quality player to replace Ozil, it’s finding players to replace the rest of the sub standard people in our squad. The players that are better will cost money we don’t appear to have.....and that’s before persuading them to come me and fighting off the competition.

Same with Ramsay....who’s going to replace him?
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Sims » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:25 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Sims wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

If only you could learn to read -
will split the fan base (already has) and quite possibly the dressing room as well

Please note the use of future tense 'will' and the adverb 'possibly' ....

Please don't 'make up rubbish' yourself when you can't at least comprehend the post you're responding to .....

There’s no evidence that he’ll possibly split the dressing room

Why bother saying it when it’s clear he’s not a disruptive influence in the slightest

Just another cheap dig
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club