The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby hs6bx » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:45 pm

This whole debate provides all the evidence required to show that player statistics are unnecessarily obsessed over. It doesn’t provide an indication of how good a player is. Stats attempt (for the most part) to objectify the unobjectifiable (new word for the dictionary there).

Using a pair of eyes and your enthusiasm for the game saves all the hassle of trying to prove each other right or wrong. Then you can just provide an opinion - which is all it ever is even with the stats. Save time and don’t bother looking at them. Then accept that not everyone agrees with you. Done
hs6bx
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Johnf » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:49 pm

I say play him in the Final. Chelsea won't be expecting that and we'll win 4-0
Johnf
Michael Thomas

Postby elkanofan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:47 pm

gooney wrote:omg why are we still discussing this bug eyed greedy c***. Just close his thread. He is not part of the team and he has cult like following.
I just agreed with Gooney.

That alone should end this entire forum let alone this thread.

Season is over, he's not playing in the final. I'm done speaking about Ozil. Just hope he is kicked out ASAP, just sack him and pay like 30% of his salary or whatever minimum possible, clear him off our books and rebuild this team now for next season.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby themessiah » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:13 pm

elkanofan wrote:
gooney wrote:omg why are we still discussing this bug eyed greedy c***. Just close his thread. He is not part of the team and he has cult like following.

Season is over, he's not playing in the final. I'm done speaking about Ozil. Just hope he is kicked out ASAP, just sack him and pay like 30% of his salary or whatever minimum possible, clear him off our books and rebuild this team now for next season.

:1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif: :cloud9:

:clap:

Özil worshippers are worse than people who were Wenger in since 2006
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gooney » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:17 pm

elkanofan wrote:

sadly we cant sack him as he has done nothing wrong. He has a contract. He has made it clear Im not going anywhere. You either pay him his last year or try to find some sort of agreement. Because having him one more year of not playing is not good at all. He will be like Bale, except Real are winning stuff and no one is gonna ask zidane about bale
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby themessiah » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:21 pm

gooney wrote:
elkanofan wrote:

sadly we cant sack him as he has done nothing wrong. He has a contract. He has made it clear Im not going anywhere. You either pay him his last year or try to find some sort of agreement. Because having him one more year of not playing is not good at all. He will be like Bale, except Real are winning stuff and no one is gonna ask zidane about bale

Ship him out on loan and pay £250k of his wages. Better than paying £350k and not playing him at all. Shit show from both sides tbf.

He needs to get out of the club ASAP, anything, a loan, whatever. He is a damage to the financial side of the club, which will now be worsened with the prospect of no european football if we do not win the fa cup.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:27 pm

hs6bx wrote:The Ozil thread has been hijacked by aspiring mathematicians!!?

Got my CSE Grade 1, ready to take on anyone ! :sneaky2:
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby gooney » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:29 pm

themessiah wrote:
gooney wrote:
elkanofan wrote:

Ship him out on loan and pay £250k of his wages. Better than paying £350k and not playing him at all. Shit show from both sides tbf.

He needs to get out of the club ASAP, anything, a loan, whatever. He is a damage to the financial side of the club, which will now be worsened with the prospect of no european football if we do not win the fa cup.

I doubt he will accept a loan or a club would spend 100k on him weekly. The guy is done with football and will retire when his contract is up
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Callum » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:30 pm

Ultimately it depends on what he wants to do. He may well be happy wasting one of the final years of his career training and playing Fortnite.

I'm sure if he wanted to go, we'd happily consent to a loan deal where we still pay a big portion of his wages.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:38 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
LMAO wrote:Mean, median, and mode are all averages.

If there are five 8s and five 9s (the mean & median are both 8.5, and the mode is both 8 & 9), the 8s performed relatively worse than the 9s, but everyone performed above the midpoint (which is both the mean and median in this case) 0-10 scale (5) or on a 1-10 scale (5.5)

Assuming both scales (0-10 and 1-10) have normal distributions with the apex of the curves at the midpoints with a σ of 1, it's not incorrect to say the 8s and 9s performed above average.

Seems like HH is arguing absolute and EK is arguing relative.

It's simple isn't it ... guess basic maths is no longer part of the curriculum ...

So 5 is the mid point and we can all agree that above 5 is better than the mid point below 5 is worse .... however if the average player rating in a game is 7 then above 7 is better than average and below 7 is worse than average ... same but different ...

Now as for Ozil - Ozil has until this season always been well above the EPL average, always ranked in the top twenty players and always achieved a rating above 7 ... this season he has dropped to 6.71 he's now ranked 123rd and sits on just about the average player rating - for most players that's not a bad performance but for our 350k a week man it's not what we need ....

Ok 2 points, the first is my argument has NEVER been about averages, its about a player rating system that the entire world uses, rating something from 1-10 where 10 is highest/best. You have dragged in averages and totally muddied the argument.

My second point is, the ratings where brought in by myself as a response to the claim that, in the specific games listed where Ozil didn't get an assist, he did absolutely nothing. Now, if that were the case, he would've received, low ratings in those games, but in fact, for the most part, he scored 6 and above. So clearly the accuser and those that agreed with him are mis-informed about Ozil's performances ... just like him being lazy .. just like most other accusation aimed at Ozil.
Last edited by theHotHead on Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:47 pm

hs6bx wrote:This whole debate provides all the evidence required to show that player statistics are unnecessarily obsessed over. It doesn’t provide an indication of how good a player is. Stats attempt (for the most part) to objectify the unobjectifiable (new word for the dictionary there).

Using a pair of eyes and your enthusiasm for the game saves all the hassle of trying to prove each other right or wrong. Then you can just provide an opinion - which is all it ever is even with the stats. Save time and don’t bother looking at them. Then accept that not everyone agrees with you. Done

But it doesn't thats why we are having this particular debate. Someone used their eyes and said Ozil did f**k all in a list of games, the ratings prove otherwise, and its not just Ozil. Claims are made about lots of players but when you look at the stats they do not agree with the opinion given. We are all semi-intelligent beings, it shouldn't be hard to form an opinion and use stats to corroborate it. Its only when the facts/stats don't back someone's point of view that stats are called into question.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:14 pm

hs6bx wrote:This whole debate provides all the evidence required to show that player statistics are unnecessarily obsessed over. It doesn’t provide an indication of how good a player is. Stats attempt (for the most part) to objectify the unobjectifiable (new word for the dictionary there).

Stats can be misused, just as your own eyes can be affected by inherent bias.
The best approach is to use both. That's what clubs do when assessing their players.
Stats can never wholly describe a players contribution, but neither can just watching a game.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Goonerz » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:27 pm

themessiah wrote:
elkanofan wrote:

:1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif: :cloud9:

:clap:

Özil worshippers are worse than people who were Wenger in since 2006

Looking back at my times of defending Wenger makes me cringe now. :redface:
I held on to my delusional AKB (Arsene Knows Best) mantra until 2014.
Lol
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:30 pm

My disappointment right now is wholly focused on Erdogan.

Istanbul Basekcehir just won the domestic league and will be in CL next year. I don't know if their financials are as bad as Fener, but CL football and having the ear of the president should certainly loosen some purse strings.

And yet, no offer. Not even a hint of an offer.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Goonerz » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:39 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Angelito wrote:

It was the wrong type of chance he created Angelito, the chance should have been 30 degrees more to the player's left for it to be counted as a proper chance created.

I am still waiting for you to help us understand this chances created stat.
Can you please refer me to only 3 games where some of these 50 odd chances created occurred?
Can you choose just 2 or 3 games and put time stamps.

Example:
Arsenal vs Leicester
Ozil created 6 chances.
The first chances created is at the 21 minute mark.
Second chances created is at the 38th minute mark.
4th chance created is at the 54th minute mark.
The 6th chance created is at the 84th minute mark.
Etc.
Then we can all have a look and understand what you mean.
I have asked this same question for since last week but you just seem to ignore it on purpose.
You love to keep throwing around this chances created stat but when asked to validate it you quiet.

Still waiting.
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club