The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby theHotHead » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:03 am

Zenith wrote:Enough of the name calling btw.

Last warning gents.

Ok. Can I ask, what's the boundary here, I mean is "cry baby" name calling or is it only offensive name calling thats over the boundary? I need to know how much rope I have to play with here.

Kinda feels like going to McDonalds in a suit and tie and eating a Quarterpounder with a knife and fork, unnatural :lol:

But I will try.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Dejan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:19 am

theHotHead wrote:
Dejan wrote:thats multiple name calling from the hothead?

mods? time to guide someone out

Butthurt much ?

Don't start nothin, there won't be nothin.

Run up your mouth then go running to the mods. Pathetic.
Loool again triggered. Too easy

Mods?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:31 am

Yaaawn.

Mods, mods, loool. No wonder you don't have any friends in real life.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Dejan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:32 am

Another insult

Mods?

Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:35 am

Dear God.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:01 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Mustafi wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Angelito wrote:With the way we're going, it pains me to say that we will undo all of Wenger's work and regress in years to come.

It's not down to Emery alone, of course. We've opened Pandora's box and we don't have any wizard to undo the jinx.

I'd love for that to happen. The monkey's paw curls.

TIL Wenger owns Arsenal / Oil money dominance is down to Wenger's incompetence.

No, but you said Emery will undo all of Wenger's work, implying he had left us in good shape.

The fact is Wenger left at his lowest ebb: his worst ever finish along with playing the worst brand of football.

So what work are you worried about Emery undoing?

It's obvious I'm talking about the last two decades.

I've said it many times and I still don't understand why people pretend like Arsenal F.C. was born in 2017.

In 21 out of those 22 years at Arsenal, Wenger's either won a trophy here or finished in the top-4. He accomplished that without spending much and by having a negative net spend. That is what I'm referring to.

We all are aware of Wenger's shortcomings during the last 3-4 years of his time at Arsenal. Add that to how City and Chelsea flooded the league with sugar daddy money, and Liverpool's and Spurs' resurgence, the picture painted is far too harsher to Wenger than it is in reality. It wasn't Wenger's fault that we have an unambitious owner.

But even if you want to talk about last season, Wenger left us with 2 world class players in Ozil and Aubameyang and 4 top-class players in Lacazette, Monreal, Bellerin, and Koscielny. It's not like he left us with a bunch of useless players. It's also not Wenger's fault that we hired a manager who's averse to flair players or attacking football.

If you want to delve into stats, we have a worse defensive track-record than we've ever had under Wenger. In the summer, we added 5 defensive players: Torreira, Sokratis, Guendouzi, Lichtsteiner, and Leno. Yet, we have a worse defense than last season. We also play a dire brand of football. If you think we're playing better football this season in comparison to last season, you either haven't watched us play this season or haven't been paying attention. Wenger's worst is still better than Unai's first at Arsenal.

I'm ready to push this season under the rug as it's Unai's first season but overall, he's been far from impressive - be it player management, our style of football, our defense, our attack, or our pathetic run in the Cups this season.

To put it into perspective, the worst season ever of Wenger - that is being used as a barometer here for Emery - still resulted in us reaching a cup final and the SFs of the EL—losing to the eventual champions on both occasions. So, if we're to have a better season than last season, we have to make it to the final of the EL this season or finish in the top-4.

Perspective.

I'll repeat it again: if there's ever a managerial equivalent of Liverpool, it's Unai Emery at Arsenal. It's never his fault.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:31 am

Emery won't revive Ozil's career, I'm resigned to that fact. I don't think Ozil is playing badly on purpose, the German NT thing probably hit him harder than we thought. Pretty much the only man who can rebuild his confidence is Guardiola; he weaved magic in getting David Silva to play the way he did in a year when his gf had pregnancy complications and a premature birth.

Still back Emery to do a good job in rebuilding the squad, but Ozil just isn't going to be part of it. It's not the end of the world.

2015-16:
Arsenal 65 goals, Ozil 19A 6G (best season)

2016-17:

Arsenal 77 goals, Ozil 9A 8G

2017-18:
Arsenal 74 goals, Ozil 8A 4G
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby swipe right » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:45 pm

Situation is a little like Superman with Wenger being Jor-El, and Ozil being Kal El.

Jor-El: Live as one of them, Kal-El, to discover where your strength and your power are needed. Always hold in your heart the pride of your special heritage. They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you… my only son.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:00 pm

It isn't like ozil has ever carried the team or changed games on his own the way some past legends have. He has good stats but when your tactics are based on everyone giving everythibg for 90 mins Ozil just doesn't fit.

He said Wenger was the reason he joined Arsenal. I reckon its cos he knew under wenger he wouldn't have to work as hard.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:14 pm

Complete hogwash but alright
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Byron Gomez » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:08 pm

ill apparently not even in squad. This whole Ozil situation is a proper farce. ill one day, Back problems the next, in the squad but dont come on. f***ing JOkE
"I've play against him, what? 12, 15, 18 times? , I dunno". "And only once he didn't moan and on that day we lost!" - Jose Mourinho
Byron Gomez
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Dynamite » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:53 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Dynamite wrote:
About the untrue "took a pay cut" rumour.

Dynamite wrote:
On 18 August 2010, the footballer signed a six-year contract with Real Madrid, earning for the first time in his career on a grand scale. The Madrilenes guaranteed him, according to football leaks, an annual gross salary of at least € 8,771,930

Özil joined with a signature on 2 September 2013 for a transfer fee of 50 million euros to the London club Arsenal FC, where also the then national team colleagues Lukas Podolski and Per Mertesacker played. Never before has Arsenal and his coach Arsene Wenger so much money spent for a football player as for Özil.

Again, the contract details have become known through football leaks:

Annual gross base salary of the Gunners: 10.2 million euros
Premium for reaching the Champions League group phase: 1.8 million euros
Hand money on conclusion of the contract (payable on 5 stages at 1.2 million): 6 million euros
Who now thinks that this list was everything, should hold on well, because the German has agreed with Arsenal on a " guaranteed annual minimum ", which according to football leaks amounts to 8,077,000 euros net . How are these possible extra payments processed? With its own marketing company (The "Özil Marketing GmbH"), to the Arsenal London until June 2018 further 1,476,095 euros annually transferred to "officially" promote the superstar.

Contract extension 2018
The contract extension in early 2018 with Arsenal makes Özil rise to the top earner of the Premier League. He earns an incredible 350,000 pounds a week , which equals a year's salary of 18.2 million pounds. This translates to about 20.7 million euros.

Ozil's salary at Real Madrid:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/aug/17/mesut-ozil-real-madrid1

According to the article he earned €5m after tax, thats pre-brexit vote so exchange rate would be approx 1.2€ to the pound, so £4.16m before tax. Spain's top level interest rate was approx 50%, so pre tax Ozil earned £8.32m. Over 52 weeks thats £160k per week.

Arsenal's salary at Arsenal:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/02/mesut-ozil-arsenal-real-madrid

The article doesn't state so I took his £150k per week salary as pre tax.

I might be wrong about he maths so I showed my working out.

https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&tab=wT&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vermoegenmagazin.de%2Fmesut-oezil-vermoegen-gehalt%2F

By german law among others a GmbH has an obligation to publicly disclose an annual financial statement (you can buy the full one if interested)

https://bit.ly/2GjGFYl
Dynamite
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Sims » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Murmurs going around that there’s something serious going on with Mesut atm

Have to wait and see if anything in the press comes out if it is indeed true
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Dejan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:31 pm

Nah.

Probably the flue

Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:40 pm

Sims wrote:Murmurs going around that there’s something serious going on with Mesut atm

Have to wait and see if anything in the press comes out if it is indeed true

His 'collection' of non injury-related absences date from well before the Emery era.

You don't catch the flu half a dozen times within a space of 1-1.5 year.

It's pure speculation, but I wouldn't be flabbergasted if it's related to his private life / mental health.

Hope that's not the case and it's ultimately something we shouldn't be privy to.

Not to the details, anyway.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club