The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:32 pm

That's the problem. You're making an exception for a player where you won't for others and practically saying he needs absolute perfect conditions just to function. We've had 60% possession or close to that for most games under Arteta, does it have to be 70-80% just to get one assist when kids like Martinelli, Saka and Pepe are able to at least get one assist when they're still adapting to a new league or position?

Again, look through the understat site and the games. If Torriera, Luiz and Xhaka can at least create high xG chances from deeper positions then maybe we stick Ozil in an area of the park where he can actually touch the ball more and maybe do damage from a deeper position. It's 2020 and we're not going to buy a midfield to accommodate Ozil.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Dejan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:47 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
I think you may be reading a little too much into that post and shouldn't assume. I didn't assume you were defending Ozil because it didn't sound like a defence. But i'm giving you some context as to why the 2 year stat has been floating around since it's up for discussion and thought you were interested. The away stat was relevant because we just played another away game and we have a couple of players that have overwhelmed for a long time and it's something management should look into for team selection.

The assists have been spread around the squad and our away form hasn't been great recently but if Iwobi can at least manage 3 assists away from home last season, Ozil should at least be able to considering he's a far better player.

not really. You quote Iwobi and Kolasinac, how did they get their assists ?? By bombing down the left wing and pulling the ball back or crossing it for someone to tap in. How does Ozil create his assists ?? Normally by playing a ball between defenders, for offensive players to run onto. We have been playing a different brand of football, when we had an inside forward, like Walcott making those runs Ozil had options, but he needs to be in the right positions to get the ball. Think about the Man U game where he ran the show, was picking up the ball between the lines and facing the opposing team and driving forward. That is Ozil of old and its obvious that - given the same tactics - he should be able to play a similar game.

Not 1 away assist Hothead? One! Heck, even something from a set piece because he does that as well so it can't all be done to how we play. Also this goes back to when we were playing under Wenger. Even from 16/17 I think he ended the season with just 3 assists away from home in the Prem. Sanchez came away with 6 in comparison.

I agree, in isolation that is shocking !! But when you look at the bigger picture, he did get 8 goals and 10 assists in the league that season. This is what Ozil "should" be doing every season, I know this and he has fallen way short. But I still think he has it in him. Ozil in a "sorted" team will fly. For us that support him we believe sorting the team and so getting the best out of Ozil is a better option than selling him and going in an entirely different direction.

You have to ask how realistic it is that we will ever see Ozil in a team that is set up for him so late in his career. Aubameyang should be Ozil's dream striker to work with but it's not really working out. It's worth asking which teams have a perfect set up for him and then asking why they haven't moved for him.

I don't think Ozil was the only player to underperform over the weekend but it's worth looking at Understat and the xG map for that game. The best chances with the highest xG were created by Luiz, Xhaka, Aubameyang, Lacazette and Torreira. All 0.30 chances and we damn well should have scored at least one. If Ozil were setting up these sort of chances and we kept fluffing the lines, fair play, it's down to poor finishing. But the two key passes from Ozil that lead to shots were low xG chances none were for Auba or Lacazette. One was from a corner to Mustafi and the other a blocked shot from Martinelli. It's actually worth exploring that site and trying to find how many high xG chances he creates in games and who they fall to.

https://understat.com/match/11884

I'm not saying we can't use Ozil at all but there will never be a time where conditions are 100% right for him to flourish each and every game. Whilst still here it's time to think of how else to use him.
Good post m8

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:04 pm

Power n Glory wrote:That's the problem. You're making an exception for a player where you won't for others and practically saying he needs absolute perfect conditions just to function. We've had 60% possession or close to that for most games under Arteta, does it have to be 70-80% just to get one assist when kids like Martinelli, Saka and Pepe are able to at least get one assist when they're still adapting to a new league or position?

Again, look through the understat site and the games. If Torriera, Luiz and Xhaka can at least create high xG chances from deeper positions then maybe we stick Ozil in an area of the park where he can actually touch the ball more and maybe do damage from a deeper position. It's 2020 and we're not going to buy a midfield to accommodate Ozil.

Its a very valid point though and it is not favouring one person over others or making exceptions. Ozil is at his best when he receives the ball between the lines, drives forward then releases a front man. If the build up play is too slow or we don't have midfielders around him who can get their head up and play the ball forward quickly/early, Ozil ends up having to drop deep to get the ball and thats not where he does any damage.

Similarly if we played any system that didn't suit a player I would argue the same point for that player. Auba has been played wide, we don't get the best out of him when he is wide and we can all see that. Laca is being played in his main position and looks awful every time he gets the ball. Its a confidence thing but doesn't change the facts.

Again, I will bring up the Man U game where we saw a completely different Ozil, the Ozil of old receiving the ball between the lines and doing damage. Thats the blueprint of the system that works for Ozil. The question is how do we get him to find those spaces AND receive the ball in those spaces EVERY GAME?!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:57 am

jayramfootball wrote:The strikers are not really the key. I don;t think it would matter if we had Henry in his prime up front with this team.
Getting the best from Ozil means getting him in areas between the midfiled and strikers (or drifting wide). The problem is there is very little possession and fast movement of the ball behind him. It's SLOOOOOOOW. Couple that with our inability to win the ball and break and it's not that surprising that the number of times we see Ozil in a dangerous position able to pick out strikers has diminsihed. Is that partly his fault? - I'd say yes. certainly not entirely or close to it. I think the team is so low on confidence they are all trying to 'make sure' of the pass. The team has to start moving the ball faster and taking more risks (I don't mean at the back, where ironically we seem to take risks all the time!)

I think you're just failing to grasp the way the game is now being played ... not by us but by the opponents

Getting the best from Ozil means getting him in areas between the midfield and strikers

No question that is where Ozil works best, give him space and time and he creates, but that's five years ago Klopp, Poch, Pepp and now everyone else coach their teams to squeeze that space until it no longer exists, with offside rules and now VAR preventing the Henry tactics from working, and with the better sides now pressing you all over the pitch ... time and space in the middle at the top level that no longer exists.

I agree that fast transition is key and ironically this is a weakness with Ozil, his skill set allows him to create time and space in fact he needs it to perform, the problem is two, three, four touches and time after time that slows our attack.

No question he has the ability, no question if the game was still played as it was in 2015 he'd be great ... but it simply isn't nor in the short term will it be played that way again ... it's not that Ozil is bad he simply hasn't adapted to change, his 'great' days are gone, if he won't/can't change then we need to move on, square pegs in round holes simply don't work however nice that square peg might be.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Goonerz » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:31 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Goonerz wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Goonerz wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Goonerz wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
VCC wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:And now we're back to "build the team around Ozil".

No other "top" player in the PL, including Ozil, needs the kind of coddling you're talking about.

He's just finished at this level and has been for a long time.

It's got nothing to do with building the team around Ozil.
It's about better players being the squad that will amake the most of Ozil's obvious talents.
You can bitch, whine and create straw man arguments all you like - Ozil with crap players around him is not going to save us. He is not and never has been that type of player even at the very height of his career.
So, go ahead, next time we lose or play poorly because the whole team didn;t play well, continue to be upset that Ozil didn't put on a one man show to overcome for you. We can put up with the same BS whining because we know it's not going to change a thing.

Its incredible that these obvious posts have to be made. In a team lacking real quality some people think that getting rid of the true quality we have is a good idea!!

The plan should be increase quality, not lower it - which is symptomatic of Arsenal during Wenger's last 10 years. We have begun to improve it, actually beginning in Wenger's last seasons but that was tempered with signings like Elneny, Mustafi and Xhaka, so one step forward and one step back, so zero net gain with Wenger.

It improved under Emery for sure which is why Emery doing so poorly - with a better squad than Wenger's last - is a damning indictment of Emery. Lets keep improving quality, we should absolutely not sell someone that will improve another team.

Unfortunately the obvious seems to have to be stated.
Ozil in the Liverpool or City teams would be a superstar.
De Bruyne, for example, in our team would be just like Ozil. A talented player, neat, tidy, skilled, but not able to turn matches we are playing poorly in.

Ozil would never be picked by klopp not even on a free
And if you think De Bruyne would be the same as Ozil for us,you clearly dont watch the two from an attitude perspective. One leaves his guts and desire on the pitch more so if it's not working for him, one leaves his guts and desire back on the play station,

Yep.

Deluded to think Ozil would get anywhere near these teams where it's demanded that every player busts a gut in every game.

The ozil fanboys have been making the same argument since Ozil’s second season here.
“Put ozil in this current City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Bayern, Barcelona team etc and he would break records blah blah”.
They are so myopic when it comes to him. They have this shallow simplistic way of reasoning. What they fail to see is that all these teams look good because all the players have worked and still work hard together as a team. Not a single player in those sides is afforded these cringeworthy exceptions to just lazy around while everyone else is busting a leg.
There is a reason why since he’s been here not a single big club has ever tried to sign him. All he ever gets are Chinese, Turkish, MLS and PSG rumours.
The guy run down his contract and still the likes of City, United, Chelsea, Bayern, Barcelona, Liverpool, City etc said “No thank you”.
Why is that?
:think:

How is Ozil lazy when he runs more than most if not all of the current players in the team and has done and proven for years ?!!!!

Get your head out of your arse you pleb.

There is a difference between jogging for 90 minutes every game than pressing and closing down with intensity.
Ozil having better distance stats compared to the likes of KDB, Sanchez etc tells you all you need to know about how misleading stats are when taken out of contest. Lol

Anyone who thinks that Ozil’s distance covered stats mean he runs and presses hard with purpose then you are deluded.

Ozil will jog at the same lazy pace from minute 1 to minute 90. No change in intensity whatsoever. It’s like he is conserving energy throughout each match.
For example; Ozil will typically jog at the same low energy pace towards an opposition player that is in possession of the ball. This is where you expect that sudden burst of pace towards that player, you would expect Ozil to press that player with a bit of intensity. But what our Ozil normally does is jog towards that player, no intensity or conviction. And once he gets closer to that player he looks like a little puppy that ain’t got a clue what do do. First off, they hold him off so easily because he is so weak physically. He will then do his signature foot dangle (dangles his leg out) and that is that. Lol.

I bet you every opposition player in possession of the ball laughs when they see Ozil jogging towards them. They will be thinking to themselves “Aww, here comes trouble, here comes the jogger”. :lol: :rofll:

But I like your deduction and loyalty towards Ozil. You always fight his good fight even if there is nothing left to hold onto. Pure dedication :clap:

And you have yet to answer my question.
You guys keep on repeating this hypothetical “Put Ozil in this current Liverpool, City, Bayern, Barcelona team and he will break records blah blah”.
How come those clubs have never tried to sign him. He has been here for more than 6 years. What has ever stopped them from coming in for him? The likes of Ramsey, Sanchez etc were being fought for. How come that it’s only you the Ozil fans club see that think he would walk into those club’s starting 11 and break records? The managers at those clubs seem to agree with us the Ozil critics. They have all had chance after chance to go for him, he even made it so easy by running down his contract. But still none of any big clubs tried to sign him. Apart from rumours about Turkish, Chinese, MLS clubs and PSG.

Why is that?

Mate you are full of shit ! So I provide stats that show Ozil runs as far as everyone else but you come back with "its the wrong type of running" :rofll: :rofll:

The same people dissing Ozil diss the chances created stats because they are the "wrong type of chances being created" :rofll: :rofll:

f***ing bunch of jokers with piss poor arguments.

At least I am not full of Ozil's shit like you are.. You have your little head buried so deep inside Ozil's rectum that you don't even smell his shit anymore.

Ozil's is a jogger.. He will jog around for 90 minutes at the same low energy pace. It does not matter if he is trying to win the ball back, he will just keep jogging at the same low energy pace.. Only people that bury their heads in the sand would say otherwise.

And I don't know how old you are but you come off as a typical social media type of troll by the way you engage with people. You seem to have this triggered "I am always right" kind of attitude. And when your bubble is burst you turn to swearing and cuzzing.
Sometime you sound like an adult but most times you come off as some juvenile social media troll that turns to speech like;
"You have been REKT."
"DESTROYED"
"Rude Boi" etc..

I will tell you a secret. You are not the most intelligent person in the world.S so just debate people's opposing opinion without turning to swearing / cussing etc..

And you are yet to answer my question..
If Ozil is as amazing you lot keep claiming then how come no big club has ever come in for him since he has been here? He literally ran down his contract and still no one came in, apart from the Chinese, Turkish, Arabian clubs and PSG.
PSG has been the most consistent club in this, I remember when Madrid got rid of him, it was Arsenal and PSG that came in for him. No other so called serious Big Club even tried.

Bad exit to his Madrid stay. They got Rid.
Bad exit to his Germany National team career. They got rid.
Bad ending to his Arsenal career etc. We have been trying to get rid since 2018..

Can you see a pattern here?

He was excellent at Madrid, brilliant for Germany and the right at the top of the PL in terms of creativity in his first 4 years at Arsenal.
Let's not rewrite history, just because you were 'REKT'.

Perhaps when you can finally admit that Ozil has had a glittering career and is a world class talent, then we could discuss more on why over the last 18 months - 2 years he's below his best. Till then, you just sound like you want to stick pins in your Ozil voodoo doll.

I have been consistent with my criticism of Ozil since 2014-15 when people started blaming GIROUD for why Ozil was not performing. They scapegoated Giroud for why Ozil was underperforming to the day he was sold to Chelsea.
I am not taking away his career highs from him. My only contention is that he has been a joke for the majority of his time at My Club (Arsenal). Apart from his purple patch for half of the 2015/16 season. By December of 2015 he was back to the ozil we know today. Had a good few games in his first season then Giroud started being his supporters go to scapegoat.
He had few good games from between October 26th away at Everton in 2017 to December 2017. Then back to koala bear Ozil. Had a good game against Leicester last season. Had a 3 good games under Arteta so far and like always now back to koala bear Ozil.
You can literally count how many good games he has had at Arsenal in more than 6 seasons.

He was amazing for Germany and Madrid. But why did Madrid let him go in his prime? He was 24 years old. What does that say? May be his team mates made him look better than he really was? I don’t know.

Germany pushed him out.

He has been a divisive figure at Arsenal for seasons. I have never seen a so called world class player divide opinion for 6 seasons at Arsenal like Ozil. Same debate between Pundits and other clubs supporters etc.

But you are still not answering my question. If Ozil is so amazing and a world class player like you keep saying then how come he has not convinced all of us the Arsenal fans since he has been here? How come not a single big club has ever tried to sign him in all his time here? When Madrid wanted to get rid of him who came in for him? Arsenal and PSG. That was it.

Ran down his contract hoping and waiting for big clubs to come in for him. But crickets. Not a single club even tried.

A few days ago news just came out that a a late bid came in for Ozil from one Qatari club. But that Arteta blocked the move because he did not have enough time to find a replacement.

This keeps reaffirming my take on the Ozil myth.

Madrid got rid of him at the age of 24. That is him entering his prime. And who were tripping over themselves to sign him? 4th place strugglers Arsenal and PSG.

Germany pushed him out.

Arsenal have been trying to get rid of him since 2018.

Since he has been here. Who has tried to sign him?
Turkish clubs.
Chinese clubs.
MLS clubs.
PSG
And now a Qatari club.

But he is world class and we his critics are the delusional ones that know nothing about football.
Isn’t it?
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Goonerz » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:17 am

aniym wrote:Maybe Ozil should play a Pirlo role, even though he lacks the leadership or winning mentality that made Pirlo an asset well into his mid-30s

Maybe Ozil should only play 30 mins at a time even though his stamina isn't the issue.

Imagine paying £17m/yr for a top midfielder and having to entertain these discussions.

Arteta needs to push for a proper CAM this summer and let Ozil enjoy his retirement.

And then the Ozilists will be here complaining and crying about why Ozil is being played out of position.
“Ozil is the best no10. He is our only world class player. If you want to get the best out of Ozil you have to play him in his preferred position. Ozil is not a DM, CM etc.. Don’t buy a Ferrari and expect it to perform off road” blah blah.

They will be on here screaming. “Play Ozil in his preferred no10 position where is breaks down defenses with ease with his defense splitting passes that no one else in the world can see”.

Lol
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:48 am

Got to say I think Ozil is past it now, he's been around a long time and just doesn't look like the player he once was, he doesn't score any goals and doesn't provide many assists, I think he's got 1 away assist since the beginning of 2018.

I don't think our slow style is condusive to getting the best out of him either though, he'd work better if we played faster football that created space for him to pass into, hower there are better players ou there,
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby VCC » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:52 am

For a side playing two wingers we play so narrow both wings look to come inside to shoot,
You never see our wingers with side line paint on their boots.
Play wider and they may create that space for ozil or others
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:53 am

theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:That's the problem. You're making an exception for a player where you won't for others and practically saying he needs absolute perfect conditions just to function. We've had 60% possession or close to that for most games under Arteta, does it have to be 70-80% just to get one assist when kids like Martinelli, Saka and Pepe are able to at least get one assist when they're still adapting to a new league or position?

Its a very valid point though and it is not favouring one person over others or making exceptions. Ozil is at his best when he receives the ball between the lines, drives forward then releases a front man. If the build up play is too slow or we don't have midfielders around him who can get their head up and play the ball forward quickly/early, Ozil ends up having to drop deep to get the ball and thats not where he does any damage.

Similarly if we played any system that didn't suit a player I would argue the same point for that player. Auba has been played wide, we don't get the best out of him when he is wide and we can all see that. Laca is being played in his main position and looks awful every time he gets the ball. Its a confidence thing but doesn't change the facts.

Again, I will bring up the Man U game where we saw a completely different Ozil, the Ozil of old receiving the ball between the lines and doing damage. Thats the blueprint of the system that works for Ozil. The question is how do we get him to find those spaces AND receive the ball in those spaces EVERY GAME?!!

This one was in response to Jayram but yes ideally you want your attackers and creative players between the lines and in the attacking third but when you watch Ozil's movement he's often drifting into wide areas. He's hardly anywhere near our attackers and his exchanging passes with our wing backs and CM's. Look at his heatmaps and his touches on the ball.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/13761 ... ey-Arsenal

But compare that to Willock's last game vs Bournmouth. Our even look back at Willock vs Bouremouth. He's able to get into the more dangerous areas because he is quicker and can carry the ball but he's not a good passer and doesn't have the same skill level as Ozil.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/14434 ... th-Arsenal

Now look back at Ozil's touches and heat map vs Man Utd.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/13761 ... ter-United

It's still a case of him getting touches in those wide areas and there isn't a single pass high xG pass he produced. But when you can see that Torreira is getting into those areas and produced a high xG pass for Auba.

https://understat.com/match/11712

He has become the pass before the assist player and with him moving into wide areas so often it's as if we have a 2 man midfield instead of 3 when teams press aggressively. Add on the limitations of Xhaka who Arteta has also instructed to stay deep and play closer to the LB....you can see why Guendouzi dwindles on the ball too much. The angles and bodies aren't there and Ozil is also a very slow mover off the ball.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:17 am

EliteKiller wrote:
No question that is where Ozil works best, give him space and time and he creates, but that's five years ago Klopp, Poch, Pepp and now everyone else coach their teams to squeeze that space until it no longer exists, with offside rules and now VAR preventing the Henry tactics from working, and with the better sides now pressing you all over the pitch ... time and space in the middle at the top level that no longer exists.

I agree that fast transition is key and ironically this is a weakness with Ozil, his skill set allows him to create time and space in fact he needs it to perform, the problem is two, three, four touches and time after time that slows our attack.

No question he has the ability, no question if the game was still played as it was in 2015 he'd be great ... but it simply isn't nor in the short term will it be played that way again ... it's not that Ozil is bad he simply hasn't adapted to change, his 'great' days are gone, if he won't/can't change then we need to move on, square pegs in round holes simply don't work however nice that square peg might be.

EK you say that, but just look at David Silva, he finds the exact spaces that Ozil "should be finding, he operates between the lines. Its perfectly doable, even in today's football.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:26 am

Goonerz wrote:I have been consistent with my criticism of Ozil since 2014-15 when people started blaming GIROUD for why Ozil was not performing. They scapegoated Giroud for why Ozil was underperforming to the day he was sold to Chelsea.
I am not taking away his career highs from him. My only contention is that he has been a joke for the majority of his time at My Club (Arsenal). Apart from his purple patch for half of the 2015/16 season. By December of 2015 he was back to the ozil we know today. Had a good few games in his first season then Giroud started being his supporters go to scapegoat.
He had few good games from between October 26th away at Everton in 2017 to December 2017. Then back to koala bear Ozil. Had a good game against Leicester last season. Had a 3 good games under Arteta so far and like always now back to koala bear Ozil.
You can literally count how many good games he has had at Arsenal in more than 6 seasons.

He was amazing for Germany and Madrid. But why did Madrid let him go in his prime? He was 24 years old. What does that say? May be his team mates made him look better than he really was? I don’t know.

Germany pushed him out.

He has been a divisive figure at Arsenal for seasons. I have never seen a so called world class player divide opinion for 6 seasons at Arsenal like Ozil. Same debate between Pundits and other clubs supporters etc.

But you are still not answering my question. If Ozil is so amazing and a world class player like you keep saying then how come he has not convinced all of us the Arsenal fans since he has been here? How come not a single big club has ever tried to sign him in all his time here? When Madrid wanted to get rid of him who came in for him? Arsenal and PSG. That was it.

Ran down his contract hoping and waiting for big clubs to come in for him. But crickets. Not a single club even tried.

A few days ago news just came out that a a late bid came in for Ozil from one Qatari club. But that Arteta blocked the move because he did not have enough time to find a replacement.

This keeps reaffirming my take on the Ozil myth.

Madrid got rid of him at the age of 24. That is him entering his prime. And who were tripping over themselves to sign him? 4th place strugglers Arsenal and PSG.

Germany pushed him out.

Arsenal have been trying to get rid of him since 2018.

Since he has been here. Who has tried to sign him?
Turkish clubs.
Chinese clubs.
MLS clubs.
PSG
And now a Qatari club.

But he is world class and we his critics are the delusional ones that know nothing about football.
Isn’t it?

Why did Madrid let him go in his prime ? Why did Spurs let Bale go in his prime ? Why did Arsenal let Vieira go in his prime ? Why did Man U let Ronaldo go in his prime ? Why did Liverpool let Suarez and Coutinho go in their prime ? Dollars !!

Again you claim Ozil was pushed out by Germany, thats complete lies and you know it. The German national team flopped at the World Cup, Ozil was scapegoated as usual and decided to quit the national team, he was not pushed anywhere. In fact, there were reports from the German FA (or perhaps directly from Low) that Ozil would be welcome to return to the team if he had a change of heart, hardly the actions of an entity that pushed Ozil out !!

You keep harping on about how many teams came in for Ozil when Madrid sold him, Arsenal at the time were a solid top 4 team and one of the biggest clubs in the world, far bigger than PSG. Its not like some 2 bob outfits came in for him !! Look at Eriksen, who came in for him knowing he wanted out of Spurs ??? Inter Milan and Inter Milan only as far as I can see. Does that mean Eriksen is shit or busted ? Of course not, who came in for a player means nothing at all. Who came in for Auba ? Nobody apart from Arsenal when we bought him, was he shit and busted too ???!!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:36 am

theHotHead wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

EK you say that, but just look at David Silva, he finds the exact spaces that Ozil "should be finding, he operates between the lines. Its perfectly doable, even in today's football.

I'm not disputing that it can't be done, just that Ozil isn't that sort of player ... he is the player who needs space before he can operate, deny him that space or force him out wide and he becomes ineffective, and every other EPL side knows that.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:36 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

I'm not disputing that it can't be done, just that Ozil isn't that sort of player ... he is the player who needs space before he can operate, deny him that space or force him out wide and he becomes ineffective, and every other EPL side knows that.

The other thing is Silva has far better players around him who defenders need to keep an eye on. As I said I've always been a big fan of Ozil, I just think he's not the force he once was, not to say he can't do a job but we have to play a different way to utilise his assets better, our style is just far too slow which is a big problem for us not just Ozil.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Ach » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:29 pm

Motm

Ran the show

Best player in an otherwise forgettable first half from us
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month