The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:16 pm

I don't even see what there is to argue about, like any sport the evidence is there in physical form out on the pitch.

Right now one thing is true, Ozil currently is not exactly setting the world alight and with what he has around him I'm a bit surprised / disappointed with that.

I'm not going to bag on him though, he has time to put it right and right now he's on contract and not going anywhere ........... at least he wants to play for us.

I'm happy to leave the decision up to Arteta about what's best for the team, he's a friend of Ozil's so if he does sit him out, you'd better believe its for good reason, he's certainly not against him like Unai, Arteta is Pro-Ozil.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:05 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:I don't even see what there is to argue about, like any sport the evidence is there in physical form out on the pitch.

Right now one thing is true, Ozil currently is not exactly setting the world alight and with what he has around him I'm a bit surprised / disappointed with that.

I'm not going to bag on him though, he has time to put it right and right now he's on contract and not going anywhere ........... at least he wants to play for us.

I'm happy to leave the decision up to Arteta about what's best for the team, he's a friend of Ozil's so if he does sit him out, you'd better believe its for good reason, he's certainly not against him like Unai, Arteta is Pro-Ozil.

He has time to set things right??

He signed da ting 2 years ago. He has less than 1.5 years left on his deal. He's resigned from the German NT, not that he'd be picked on current form anyway.

What possible incentive does he have to improve? He is retired in all but name.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:08 am

DG that year and a half with Emery I have completely erased as an utter waste of time because Emery was such a f***ing idiot with an "Ozil-shaped" axe to grind.

For me the period for analysing Ozil is from Arteta's reign because, Arteta is saying and doing things that I like and agree with, if Ozil fails to up his levels then I will have to take another view.

But so far we have all seen an improvement in Ozil's performances, my hope is that Arteta continues to improve the team and gives Ozil the support and system he needs to flourish.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby King of Highbury XIV » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:11 pm

The one question that I want all Ozil supporters to answer is what has he done for the club since he’s been here to not only deserve this protection but to also earn his pay packet? As a bonus, has his transfer value ever been higher than when he was at Real?
all of my posts are my own opinion
King of Highbury XIV
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Ach » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:35 pm

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta blocked the transfer of German midfielder Mesut Ozil, 31, to a club from Qatar in January. (90min)
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:03 am

Last year, PSG came in for a loan deal, this year it's some Qatari club. At this rate the only clubs willing to sign him in 2021 will be in the Bahraini 2nd division.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:03 am

Another window closes where not a single club, even with us prepared to subsidise his salary, willing to make an offer. Read into that what you will.

EDIT - I stand corrected there was a club in the Middle East who said they'd take him ... apparently we were so taken by surprise we hadn't planned to find a replacement - so we turned them down? You couldn't make this shit up ...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/mesut-ozil-offered-arsenal-exit-21412546
Last edited by EliteKiller on Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:06 am

King of Highbury XIV wrote:The one question that I want all Ozil supporters to answer is what has he done for the club since he’s been here to not only deserve this protection but to also earn his pay packet? As a bonus, has his transfer value ever been higher than when he was at Real?

He's been our most creative player since he joined us.
His wage packet is irrelevant
He's not going to ever be worth a higher transfer fee than when he was at Real - he is older now and no one is going to pay that kind of money.

As for protection - calling out the stupid nonsense of blaming Ozil every time we don't win is not protection. It's simply being fair.
We all know that Ozil has not performed to his best standard for 18 months, but the utter BS that is spouted by those that keep blaming him for all our ills as a club is beyond pathetic.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby King of Highbury XIV » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:40 am

jayramfootball wrote:He's been our most creative player since he joined us.
He's not going to ever be worth a higher transfer fee than when he was at Real - he is older now and no one is going to pay that kind of money.

As for protection - calling out the stupid nonsense of blaming Ozil every time we don't win is not protection. It's simply being fair.
We all know that Ozil has not performed to his best standard for 18 months, but the utter BS that is spouted by those that keep blaming him for all our ills as a club is beyond pathetic.

The reason why I asked the question is because I am curious as this is a guy who hasn’t won anything of significance for us and one could argue that he has been a let down in some of our most critical games. And while he’s not the root of all of our problems like some unjustly claim, but he is a problem. Regardless of the pay, as you pointed out, he’s been underperforming for 18 months. How much more time do you give a player like that? He certainly isn’t giving his all for the club and his lifestyle is catching up to him. You could also call into question his national team fiasco after knowing he was no longer going to be selected. Arsenal fans and his fans deserve a lot better.
King of Highbury XIV
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Nuggets » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:17 am

King of Highbury XIV wrote:

The reason why I asked the question is because I am curious as this is a guy who hasn’t won anything of significance for us and one could argue that he has been a let down in some of our most critical games. And while he’s not the root of all of our problems like some unjustly claim, but he is a problem. Regardless of the pay, as you pointed out, he’s been underperforming for 18 months. How much more time do you give a player like that? He certainly isn’t giving his all for the club and his lifestyle is catching up to him. You could also call into question his national team fiasco after knowing he was no longer going to be selected. Arsenal fans and his fans deserve a lot better.

:clap:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:52 am

King of Highbury XIV wrote:The one question that I want all Ozil supporters to answer is what has he done for the club since he’s been here to not only deserve this protection but to also earn his pay packet? As a bonus, has his transfer value ever been higher than when he was at Real?

Was a decisive factor in us breaking our trophy drought. The name "Ozil" alone lifted us, Rambo begun playing his best football with Ozil in the team.

In recent seasons his output has not matched his potential but I can easily put that down to having dimwitted managers for the past 3-4 seasons.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:58 am

Nobody apart from Auba has performed well for the past 18 months and even then Auba has been dogshit poor for periods, the saving grace is he continued to score goals.

Ozil has performed poorly not due to talent or even form. Just look at the car crash that was Emery, the 15-18 months of his tenure was a f***ing nightmare for the club - not even taking into account he had it in for Ozil the entire time. How can anyone perform in that environment?!

Now lets look a little further back, what quality did Ozil have around him? Coquelin, Elneny, Xhaka, Iwobi, Walcott :rofll:

Need I say any bloody more!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby King of Highbury XIV » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:32 am

theHotHead wrote:[
Nobody apart from Auba has performed well for the past 18 months and even then Auba has been dogshit poor for periods, the saving grace is he continued to score goals.

Ozil has performed poorly not due to talent or even form. Just look at the car crash that was Emery, the 15-18 months of his tenure was a f***ing nightmare for the club - not even taking into account he had it in for Ozil the entire time. How can anyone perform in that environment?!

Now lets look a little further back, what quality did Ozil have around him? Coquelin, Elneny, Xhaka, Iwobi, Walcott :rofll:

Need I say any bloody more!

What makes you think he had it in for Ozil? Because he benched him? I guarantee you if Arteta had options, he would bench Ozil too. I’m sorry I’m not buying into the new storyline that Emery wanted to show Ozil up. Emery needed Ozil to do go to succeed. You do know Ozil smokes, consistently drinks coffee and doesn’t give two craps about his nutrition. Same guy who is pictured going to get pizza at midnight before a game. You don’t think that has something to do with why he can’t even play 60min at full intensity? And you’re going to sit there and trash the rest of the team? He’s the leader, he’s the highest earner, he sets the example and he sure as hell set a good one.
King of Highbury XIV
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:07 pm

I will revert to the same obvious point - Ozil will not perform any better until he has better players around him.
That's just a fact. he will never be a player that turns a team around.

The majority of Arsenal fans deserve what they are getting. Very few were vocal enough to call out the teams decline when it could have been corrected - 10 years ago and those that did were attacked. The entire club was put in the toilet by Wenger and most fans at the time couldn;t see past their noses. As a collective fan base we're reaping what we sewed.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby elkanofan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:56 pm

If Ozil was that good PSG would have him already. Another big club would of brought or at least loaned him.

He's a wasteman. Leaching wages off the club.

I knew as soon as he was starting we would be shit and sadly i was right. He doesn't move anymore in the final third and is super easy to play against since all he can do is pass f***ing sideways now.

Why we didn't tell him to f**k off in January and get a player in and work instead with a new signing, Ceballos and Willock will once again be our downfall.

This guy has no legacy at our club, this season has been disastrous and is looking like getting worse with so much of this malaise could of been avoided if we got rid of this guy and use those wages to reinvest in our attacking mids.

Arrogant d***head who's wages are more important than AFC progressing.

f**k off and f**k you Ozil.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club