The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby elkanofan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:58 am

Losmeister wrote:
elkanofan wrote:https://youtu.be/4ps9sSfti4Y

I posted this earlier but people cant see it without VPN so this one is just a compilation but please watch

That assist vs Norwich.

Creating your own space, using dribbling skill!!! This is essential for an attacking midfielder sling with passing

This is the biggest thing we are missing right now. We don't have to even buy Grealish. Harit can do the same at the very least. This is an example of the players out there we need to buy to solve our creative issues.

This is what i cannot understand, why people are so emotional about keeping him when Ozil is clearly past it and there are many, many good players out there who can do much, much better!

Remember, Grealish is doing this for f***ing Aston Villa. Imagine how good he would be with Auba on the end of his passes!!!

its hard to talk sense with people wearinmg Mesut Ozil autographed panties.
Yes. Its now beyond even the point where Mesut Ozil to some people is bigger than Arsenal FC is.

Arsenal FC is what i love and will stay with for life, long after Mesut eventually leaves.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby VCC » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:21 am

elkanofan wrote:
Losmeister wrote:
elkanofan wrote:https://youtu.be/4ps9sSfti4Y

I posted this earlier but people cant see it without VPN so this one is just a compilation but please watch

That assist vs Norwich.

Creating your own space, using dribbling skill!!! This is essential for an attacking midfielder sling with passing

This is the biggest thing we are missing right now. We don't have to even buy Grealish. Harit can do the same at the very least. This is an example of the players out there we need to buy to solve our creative issues.

This is what i cannot understand, why people are so emotional about keeping him when Ozil is clearly past it and there are many, many good players out there who can do much, much better!

Remember, Grealish is doing this for f***ing Aston Villa. Imagine how good he would be with Auba on the end of his passes!!!

its hard to talk sense with people wearinmg Mesut Ozil autographed panties.
Yes. Its now beyond even the point where Mesut Ozil to some people is bigger than Arsenal FC is.

Arsenal FC is what i love and will stay with for life, long after Mesut eventually leaves.

I loved Liam Brady and hated that he left Arsenal but it was never in question that I would stop my love for Arsenal, and once Brady left he no longer got my following as a player.
I support Arsenal management and players are all temporary some give more than others and achieve more they then get more love deservedly
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:28 am

^^^^
Brady- legend
Ozil- mercenary ( show me the money)
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:22 am

VCC wrote:^^^^
Brady- legend
Ozil- mercenary ( show me the money)

Absolutely

Rosicky was one of my favorite ever players even before he joined is when he was at Dortmund. He's come, been a cult hero here and gone but my love for Arsenal will always remain.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:41 am

VCC wrote:Can anyone come up with the data of ozil playing for Arsenal vs
Barca
Madrid
City
Chelsea
Utd
Liverpool
Leicester
Let's see how his stats stack up against quality?

Bar one club in that list, he has a goal or assist against each of those clubs AND Bayern, Dortmund, and Napoli. That one club is Barcelona.

Uh oh.

If you're talking about Real, we haven't played them since 2006. If you're talking about Atleti, a club that aren't referred to as Madrid, then he hasn't scored or assisted against them.

aniym wrote:Ozil isn't being "targeted", he's being held to account. That's what happens when he's on the wages of 3 men. I can see how it feels like he's being singled out when his fan club here tags him as MOTM in pretty much every game when he STILL isn't scoring or assisting.

I see just as many posts critical of Pepe. He wouldn't be getting that kind of heat if he wasn't our record signing.

Oh please. The amount of vitriol thrown at him is obvious for any one with a semblance of rationality in their cells. It's a personal case for many here.

Regarding Pepe, he's been here for two minutes and as I mentioned when we signed him, our dumb fans will lead the charge against him the moment they realize he's not Messi or Ronaldo. They certainly didn't disappoint.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby VCC » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:00 am

Angelito wrote:
VCC wrote:Can anyone come up with the data of ozil playing for Arsenal vs
Barca
Madrid
City
Chelsea
Utd
Liverpool
Leicester
Let's see how his stats stack up against quality?

Bar one club in that list, he has a goal or assist against each of those clubs AND Bayern, Dortmund, and Napoli. That one club is Barcelona.

Uh oh.

If you're talking about Real, we haven't played them since 2006. If you're talking about Atleti, a club that aren't referred to as Madrid, then he hasn't scored or assisted against them.

aniym wrote:Ozil isn't being "targeted", he's being held to account. That's what happens when he's on the wages of 3 men. I can see how it feels like he's being singled out when his fan club here tags him as MOTM in pretty much every game when he STILL isn't scoring or assisting.

I see just as many posts critical of Pepe. He wouldn't be getting that kind of heat if he wasn't our record signing.

Oh please. The amount of vitriol thrown at him is obvious for any one with a semblance of rationality in their cells. It's a personal case for many here.

Regarding Pepe, he's been here for two minutes and as I mentioned when we signed him, our dumb fans will lead the charge against him the moment they realize he's not Messi or Ronaldo. They certainly didn't disappoint.

Was meaning Real madrid
He may have a goal or assist against the clubs mentioned but over how many minutes of playing time, and as i have said in the past and i stand by for any player " a cross from a free kick or a corner should not count as an assist, to me an assist should be from open play"
I think it is fair to say Ozil is past it, teams have worked out to press him hard basicly removes him from a game.
I think it's unfair to say Ozil gets bashed, I talked him up when he first played here and as time has passed him and his wage outgrew his ability ( clubs fault for poor business) I point out his failings I also point out his decent performances.
But I stand by my belief building a team around a player that rarely turns up in his superstar status is a mistake.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:10 am

^^^^^^
Against the English teams mentioned you should expect a number of goals and assists
He would have played them many times over 7 seasons
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:29 am

Again, Ozil would probably be more productive as a CM playing the deep laying Playmaker role. Under Arteta he's been putting in work when it comes to defending and marking so not as much of a liability.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby greengoonerie » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:47 am

Ok - for 350k a week, what can be reasonably expected of Ozil?

1. a leader
2. someone who looks for the ball when he's on the pitch
3. someone who finds space on the pitch
4. Someone who can make a killer pass
5. Someone who is the fittest player on the team (he's the highest paid and thus should be leading by example)
6. feel free to add football related things here

OK here's his stats this season in the EPL. [url]https://www.premierleague.com/players/4714/Mesut-%C3%96zil/stats?co=1&se=274
[/url]
Brief stats this season from that link:

Cross accuracy this season 30%
Crosses per match 5
Passes per match 47
Through balls all season 2
goals scored this season NIL
Assists made this season NIL
Shooting accuracy this season 33% (2 from 6)

Against Palace on Saturday he was on the pitch for 60 minutes - 60/350000 = 5,833.00 per minute

Did his performance against Palace justify this salary? No

Is he worth 350,000 per week? No.

Nothing personal, just facts.
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:10 am

I can't be bothered to argue the toss each time we drop points and the usual suspects come in to assassinate Ozil.

Knock yourselves out. Ozil is the reason we have underperformed so badly for the past 4 years.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:16 am

greengoonerie wrote:Ok - for 350k a week, what can be reasonably expected of Ozil?

1. a leader
5. Someone who is the fittest player on the team (he's the highest paid and thus should be leading by example)

OK here's his stats this season in the EPL. [url]https://www.premierleague.com/players/4714/Mesut-%C3%96zil/stats?co=1&se=274
[/url]

Crosses per match 5
Passes per match 47

Against Palace on Saturday he was on the pitch for 60 minutes - 60/350000 = 5,833.00 per minute

Nonsense post! He would have to perform like Messi/Ronaldo to justify £350k per week. Your argument is dead before it is born.

I tried to get out, but they just keep pulling me back in!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:03 pm

Power n Glory wrote:Again, Ozil would probably be more productive as a CM playing the deep laying Playmaker role. Under Arteta he's been putting in work when it comes to defending and marking so not as much of a liability.

Opposition teams will target him and make life hell for him off the ball if he played CM or especially a DM role. He has no idea how to play in a defensive position. He can't tackle, he has zero strength whatsoever. This is massive for why I'm 100% done with him because if he wasn't such a wuss he'd already be a top quality CM by now with his passing and vision.

He's 31 man, not 25-28 after a few bad injuries. He's been a man 12 years done already.

Pirlo wasn't a powerhouse of course but him like Pjanic are tough enough to put a tackle in, they didn't ever get bullied.

Ozil should want this, Ozil should have been preparing for this change of role to a CM or DM years ago when he knew his dribbling wasn't the same anymore, but this guy Ozil i think has a problem man. He loves himself too much. You can see he's just hanging onto a lifestyle.

This is why i'm so pissed of with the board that they have failed to move him on. It sums up the club in the last decade.

In football 1 thing is true right now. Player power is beyond out of control.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby greengoonerie » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:35 pm

theHotHead wrote:
greengoonerie wrote:Ok - for 350k a week, what can be reasonably expected of Ozil?

1. a leader

[/url]

Crosses per match 5
Passes per match 47

Nonsense post! He would have to perform like Messi/Ronaldo to justify £350k per week. Your argument is dead before it is born.

I tried to get out, but they just keep pulling me back in!!
LOL, did I touch a nerve there?!!

nobody's keeping you here - try NOT responding if you feel stuff is nonsense. I'll be doing it with your next reply here!

I quote facts, you quote personal opinion. Sorry you're upset.

If Ozil was as good a player as his agent is a negotiator, we wouldn't be having this discussion1

:lol:
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby swipe right » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:57 pm

Some of you morons need to understand how salary negotiations work. Ozil gets 350k because he sells more merch than the rest of the squad combined.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:03 pm

swipe right wrote:Some of you morons need to understand how salary negotiations work. Ozil gets 350k because he sells more merch than the rest of the squad combined.

Well no, Ozil gets 350k because both him and Sanchez were going to walk away for nothing and the club couldn't face the backlash that would have come had that happened, so they gave him 350k, considering his contract was up in the summer he held all the cards.

Not sure about the merchandise these days, maybe a few years ago, but now his stock has fallen massively, Aubameyang I would think is the most popular.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club