The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby swipe right » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:43 pm

5 players whose jersey sales justify their transfer pricePublished Jun 26, 2017

Shirt sales have a huge impact on the football economy
Times have changed, haven’t they? There was once a time when football fans never thought they would see a player signed for a seven-figure price, but now here we are, freely signing players with nine-figure sums almost as if with pride.While some players failed prior to their moves, some other did really well – but that didn’t really matter. Some players’ popularity meant that they recouped almost the entire money that was paid for them by their clubs through jersey sales.And here are five such players whose jersey sales justify their transfer price.

#5 Mesut Ozil
Mesut Ozil: The star of the Emirates
Ozil was a crown jewel in Real Madrid, an assist machine that made Cristiano Ronaldo even better. However, after losing Neymar to Barcelona, Florentino Perez had to make a statement: and the acquisition of Gareth Bale was just that.However, he had to let go of one of his stars in order to balance the books, so Ozil was sacrificed and Arsenal shattered their transfer record to sign him for £42 million. And that’s when Arsenal fans went crazy and almost repaid all the money by buying his shirts.It was reported that the German sold more than twice the shirts for Arsenal than Gareth Bale did at Real Madrid. Indeed, Arsenal were selling 12 times more shirts through their online store than the usual amount.Even now, Mesut Ozil leads the Arsenal charts when it comes to shirt sales, paying back literally all the money through that alone.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby VCC » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:08 am

Ozil has killed his brand in china one of the biggest markets in the world,
Just saying
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:11 am

Santi wrote:God he’s been poor the last two seasons but ozil has to feed the likes of Giroud and Walcott and managed about 20 assists. If he had good players back then he’d have banged 30.

Now he’s not as good but still can be useful to our team.

Ain’t hard to grasp.

Still has a place he is on the books
Just needs to be played against the shit teams like a youth player
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:24 am

VCC wrote:Ozil has killed his brand in china one of the biggest markets in the world,
Just saying

Hey may be able to market his shirts as fire starters
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:34 am

VCC wrote:
Santi wrote:God he’s been poor the last two seasons but ozil has to feed the likes of Giroud and Walcott and managed about 20 assists. If he had good players back then he’d have banged 30.

Ain’t hard to grasp.

Nah. We can fix some of our glaring issues getting rid of him and using the 350K along with whatever messily fee we get fro him now with still 18 months left on the deal.

I'd take as low as 10-15 Million, getting him off the wage bill will free up a lot of money.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby yadunoe » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:10 am

elkanofan wrote:
VCC wrote:

Ain’t hard to grasp.

Nah. We can fix some of our glaring issues getting rid of him and using the 350K along with whatever messily fee we get fro him now with still 18 months left on the deal.

I'd take as low as 10-15 Million, getting him off the wage bill will free up a lot of money.

i agree with this but only if the players are available
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:01 am

elkanofan wrote:
VCC wrote:

Ain’t hard to grasp.

He is and has been available free to anyone willing to pay his remaining salary ... in fact I believe we will even subsidise six months.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Santi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:23 am

elkanofan wrote:
VCC wrote:

Ain’t hard to grasp.

No we can’t. Only way someone would take him is if we pay 50% of his wages.

Same way we wouldn’t sign him now if he was available, neither will other clubs. We have him because he was glorious for a couple of years and couldn’t lose both him and Sanchez, that’s it.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:30 am

Power n Glory wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Again, Ozil would probably be more productive as a CM playing the deep laying Playmaker role. Under Arteta he's been putting in work when it comes to defending and marking so not as much of a liability.

Opposition teams will target him and make life hell for him off the ball if he played CM or especially a DM role. He has no idea how to play in a defensive position. He can't tackle, he has zero strength whatsoever. This is massive for why I'm 100% done with him because if he wasn't such a wuss he'd already be a top quality CM by now with his passing and vision.

He's 31 man, not 25-28 after a few bad injuries. He's been a man 12 years done already.

Pirlo wasn't a powerhouse of course but him like Pjanic are tough enough to put a tackle in, they didn't ever get bullied.

Ozil should want this, Ozil should have been preparing for this change of role to a CM or DM years ago when he knew his dribbling wasn't the same anymore, but this guy Ozil i think has a problem man. He loves himself too much. You can see he's just hanging onto a lifestyle.

This is why i'm so pissed of with the board that they have failed to move him on. It sums up the club in the last decade.

In football 1 thing is true right now. Player power is beyond out of control.

The opposition will target whoever plays a CM. In fact, wherever Ozil plays he's going to be targeted. He's not strong but we don't have strong CM's anyway. Torreira is the most tenacious, Guendouzi tries hard but is still a kid but we're physically weak in that area. What makes it worse is when we have CM's that make poor passing decisions, hide from the ball and can only pass backwards when under pressure. If you've been watching Xhaka recently, you'd have noticed the amount of times he's waited for the opposition to get close to him so he can fall over to try and claim a foul.

Matteo has been much worse, his antics are pissing me off, he needs to focus on his game rather than that diving shit, Torrerria dives aswell but he's Uruguayan so its in his culture.

We're not going to win a strong man competition with Ozil, but as a CM in a 4-3-3, he may actually help us to play the ball forward. retain possession and move up the pitch. He doesn't attempt to dribble past players anymore but he's still good at avoiding the press with swift turns and quick feet. He's one of the best at finding a player with an accurate pass and I also think he's much better when we're countering teams. He's a player that needs a lot of touches on the ball to have an impact and we need to start getting him into those positions. With Pepe just ahead of him, AMN and Torreira floating around, I think we'd get a lot more out of him.

Yes, in an attacking sense it makes sense with how good Ozil's passing is no doubt but we are bad enough as it is defensively and the last thing we need is the opposition targeting our central midfielder to play through the middle of because he cannot defend and doesn't understand how to, i don't want to see that crap we saw vs Liverpool reserved happening in the league and us getting beat 4,5,6-0 because this will happen playing with Ozil at CM. Like in that game the opposition will just run straight through the middle of us everytime they get the ball. Ozil didn't play CM in that game but Willocks lack of positional awareness is an example of what you will see from Ozil and more.

How Ozil played vs United is more than enough for AM in terms of he just needs to work hard and chase back. CM is different, you need to have some level of strength and be able to tackle, intercept and keep good positioning, even maestros like Xavi where able to do the basics in terms of defensive work to allow their attacking assess to shine.

We're not going to be able to shift and it's obvious the manager will continue to play him so it's about making some use out of him. He's better when he has loads of touches on the ball and in the 10 role it's far to easy for him to get lost or marked out of the game. He shouldn't be allowed to hide in that 10 role. Throw him in the deep end and working.

I believe very strongly in personal responsibility and that's why i hammer Ozil so much, your job is to be professional footballer at the very highest level of the game, paid 350k a week, you should be responsible enough to critique your own level of performance and see where you can be at your best, improve and see how you must adapt to how your body is and the demands of the game. Football isn't rocket scene, its a very easy game to learn each position, the hard thing is doing well consistently managing your life with all the injuries and fitness needed at the top level.

Ozil should of seen this decline in his movement and dribbling coming and looked to develop himself and change position with help with coaches we had when Wenger was here and Emery.

Its not as if Ozil doesn't have good examples to follow. Look at Schweinstiger and Modric, ex teammates of Ozil, bother adapted their game into new positions very successfully.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:37 am

EliteKiller wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
VCC wrote:

Ain’t hard to grasp.

He is and has been available free to anyone willing to pay his remaining salary ... in fact I believe we will even subsidise six months.

I know, this is what concerns me so deeply about his cult like fans you see on places like reddit and twitter, all their bullshit propaganda! Yet if he was that good, why will nobody else buy or take him on loan?

Santi wrote:No we can’t. Only way someone would take him is if we pay 50% of his wages.

Same way we wouldn’t sign him now if he was available, neither will other clubs. We have him because he was glorious for a couple of years and couldn’t lose both him and Sanchez, that’s it.

Ozil really is taking the piss which is why the board incenses me so much, they need to throw him out the door or just f***ing sack him.

yadunoe wrote:i agree with this but only if the players are available

I'm convinced 70-90k a week offer to along with a 25-30mil Euros will get Harit.

Leverage the rest of the wages freed up on Soumare on again 60-80k a week with the rest adding to the transfer fee needed.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:37 pm

"We've got Ozil, Mesut Ozil" as sung by the match going fans in recent games.

You armchair fan Ozil haters can go do one.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:40 pm

VCC wrote:
Angelito wrote:
VCC wrote:Can anyone come up with the data of ozil playing for Arsenal vs
Barca
Madrid
City
Chelsea
Utd
Liverpool
Leicester
Let's see how his stats stack up against quality?

Bar one club in that list, he has a goal or assist against each of those clubs AND Bayern, Dortmund, and Napoli. That one club is Barcelona.

Uh oh.

If you're talking about Real, we haven't played them since 2006. If you're talking about Atleti, a club that aren't referred to as Madrid, then he hasn't scored or assisted against them.

aniym wrote:Ozil isn't being "targeted", he's being held to account. That's what happens when he's on the wages of 3 men. I can see how it feels like he's being singled out when his fan club here tags him as MOTM in pretty much every game when he STILL isn't scoring or assisting.

I see just as many posts critical of Pepe. He wouldn't be getting that kind of heat if he wasn't our record signing.

Oh please. The amount of vitriol thrown at him is obvious for any one with a semblance of rationality in their cells. It's a personal case for many here.

Regarding Pepe, he's been here for two minutes and as I mentioned when we signed him, our dumb fans will lead the charge against him the moment they realize he's not Messi or Ronaldo. They certainly didn't disappoint.

Was meaning Real madrid
He may have a goal or assist against the clubs mentioned but over how many minutes of playing time, and as i have said in the past and i stand by for any player " a cross from a free kick or a corner should not count as an assist, to me an assist should be from open play"
I think it is fair to say Ozil is past it, teams have worked out to press him hard basicly removes him from a game.
I think it's unfair to say Ozil gets bashed, I talked him up when he first played here and as time has passed him and his wage outgrew his ability ( clubs fault for poor business) I point out his failings I also point out his decent performances.
But I stand by my belief building a team around a player that rarely turns up in his superstar status is a mistake.

Don't shift the goal posts now.

And I'm sorry that Ozil isn't Messi who rapes Atleti and Real twice every season (Soz Brando).
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby VCC » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:36 pm

Angelito wrote:
VCC wrote:
Angelito wrote:
VCC wrote:Can anyone come up with the data of ozil playing for Arsenal vs
Barca
Madrid
City
Chelsea
Utd
Liverpool
Leicester
Let's see how his stats stack up against quality?

Bar one club in that list, he has a goal or assist against each of those clubs AND Bayern, Dortmund, and Napoli. That one club is Barcelona.

Uh oh.

If you're talking about Real, we haven't played them since 2006. If you're talking about Atleti, a club that aren't referred to as Madrid, then he hasn't scored or assisted against them.

aniym wrote:Ozil isn't being "targeted", he's being held to account. That's what happens when he's on the wages of 3 men. I can see how it feels like he's being singled out when his fan club here tags him as MOTM in pretty much every game when he STILL isn't scoring or assisting.

I see just as many posts critical of Pepe. He wouldn't be getting that kind of heat if he wasn't our record signing.

Oh please. The amount of vitriol thrown at him is obvious for any one with a semblance of rationality in their cells. It's a personal case for many here.

Regarding Pepe, he's been here for two minutes and as I mentioned when we signed him, our dumb fans will lead the charge against him the moment they realize he's not Messi or Ronaldo. They certainly didn't disappoint.

Was meaning Real madrid
He may have a goal or assist against the clubs mentioned but over how many minutes of playing time, and as i have said in the past and i stand by for any player " a cross from a free kick or a corner should not count as an assist, to me an assist should be from open play"
I think it is fair to say Ozil is past it, teams have worked out to press him hard basicly removes him from a game.
I think it's unfair to say Ozil gets bashed, I talked him up when he first played here and as time has passed him and his wage outgrew his ability ( clubs fault for poor business) I point out his failings I also point out his decent performances.
But I stand by my belief building a team around a player that rarely turns up in his superstar status is a mistake.

Don't shift the goal posts now.

And I'm sorry that Ozil isn't Messi who rapes Atleti and Real twice every season (Soz Brando).[/quote no goal post shifting at all
As you said madrid has always been Real if I had meant Athlitico I would have said it's called an oversight, dont go assuming otherwise because you ain't in my f***ing head, I just told you what I meant, hope that's straightened up for you.
Seven years at least 14 times he has played the English teams what are the stats?
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:40 pm

^^^^^
Excluding the times he has been tired or has had a cold and didn't play of course
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby yadunoe » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:10 am

the only problem i have with ozil is hes not worth 350k a week for me and i would rather spend that money on auba if ozil made 130k a week i would be less pissed off about him hes been playing decently but hes not worth his wages simple as that. he will be ok till the summer until then he is our only creative force unless ceballos can do something
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club