The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:58 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:A Youtube Compilation video of his best moments across his career and days in Germany and Spain are ok to make a case of his how good he is but all of a sudden recent highlights tracking his moments over an entire game is out of line.

Who uses Youtube videos of Ozil of old to argue his merits?!!! People I know quote stats as facts to show how good Ozil was and how good Ozil can still be.

Another f***ing strawman argument.

Hence why you have been unsuccessful on here when it comes to defending Ozil or showing others what you mean when talking up his qualities. Stats and video help make your points more clear. Worth remembering you're debating with posters that aren't 'Ozil haters' either.

Not at all. You would have to be a complete fucktard - and I know you are not - to need to see videos of when Ozil was good to see what he does well. Those of us that defend Ozil use tangible stats to defend him, stats that are applied to every footballer, not just Ozil. But they are dismissed as irrelevant because they show Ozil in a good light. Some stats confirm Ozil is not performing anywhere near his best but others also confirm that he has not been anywhere near as bad as some people make out. The stats also completely dispel the myth that Ozil is lazy. But again haters refuse to accept these stats as valid and continue their vendetta/crusade against him

A Youtube video can back up a distinct point that someone is making, or counter an argument that is being made, but the context must be right. The videos you posted don't show a clear enough difference in Ozil's performances to back up your point, in my opinion.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:01 pm

StLGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
theHotHead wrote:You are right, I am blind to shit and you are talking a lot of it at the moment.

That doesn't make sense (kinda like your arguments), If you were blind to it, then you wouldn't see it or know about it. :dizzy:

Thats the point, if I am blind to it I don't see it, so if you are talking it, I don't see it. Makes perfect sense

But you wouldn't even know that I'm talking it though. And yet here you are saying that I am. :dontknow:

Egad man! You win, bludgeoned me to death lol.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:40 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:A Youtube Compilation video of his best moments across his career and days in Germany and Spain are ok to make a case of his how good he is but all of a sudden recent highlights tracking his moments over an entire game is out of line.

Who uses Youtube videos of Ozil of old to argue his merits?!!! People I know quote stats as facts to show how good Ozil was and how good Ozil can still be.

Another f***ing strawman argument.

Hence why you have been unsuccessful on here when it comes to defending Ozil or showing others what you mean when talking up his qualities. Stats and video help make your points more clear. Worth remembering you're debating with posters that aren't 'Ozil haters' either.

Not at all. You would have to be a complete fucktard - and I know you are not - to need to see videos of when Ozil was good to see what he does well. Those of us that defend Ozil use tangible stats to defend him, stats that are applied to every footballer, not just Ozil. But they are dismissed as irrelevant because they show Ozil in a good light. Some stats confirm Ozil is not performing anywhere near his best but others also confirm that he has not been anywhere near as bad as some people make out. The stats also completely dispel the myth that Ozil is lazy. But again haters refuse to accept these stats as valid and continue their vendetta/crusade against him

A Youtube video can back up a distinct point that someone is making, or counter an argument that is being made, but the context must be right. The videos you posted don't show a clear enough difference in Ozil's performances to back up your point, in my opinion.

I've pointed you to the Understat site and have shown you the low xG chances Ozil is creating in each game to counter the argument about key passes/chances created stat. Pepe, Auba and Lacazette are out performing him and creating better chances. So if you know how xG is counted you should remember our discussion about the difference between a good goal scoring opportunity or just a pass that results in a shot on goal.

I can see Ozil is working hard on defence, tracking back, marking and recovering the ball. Stats say one thing but video also shows he is working harder on defence because you won't see moments like we saw under Wenger where he's just walking and allowing players to bypass him.

Again, when it comes to video, if you can see a clear difference in the amount of positive passes Ozil played vs the ones he overshot, I don't know what other context you need? If I showed you a video of the chances Auba and Lacazette missed vs Burnley do you need anymore context as to why that particular game was a bad day at the office? It's worth watching the match again and just looking how quick Ozil is looking to turn on the ball and play it forwards instead of sideways or backwards.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby gamechannel » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:50 am

We are still arguing over Ozil? Jeez!

There's a reason he has started consistently under Arteta. He clearly brings something to the table that Arteta values. So let's just leave it at that.
gamechannel
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Rockape » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:43 am

....... So let's just leave it at that.

Good luck with that! :rolleyes:
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:07 am

Rockape wrote:....... So let's just leave it at that.

Ha ha.

The most ambitious statement ever written on a forum... ever.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby theHotHead » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:10 am

Power n Glory wrote:I've pointed you to the Understat site and have shown you the low xG chances Ozil is creating in each game to counter the argument about key passes/chances created stat. Pepe, Auba and Lacazette are out performing him and creating better chances. So if you know how xG is counted you should remember our discussion about the difference between a good goal scoring opportunity or just a pass that results in a shot on goal.

I can see Ozil is working hard on defence, tracking back, marking and recovering the ball. Stats say one thing but video also shows he is working harder on defence because you won't see moments like we saw under Wenger where he's just walking and allowing players to bypass him.

Again, when it comes to video, if you can see a clear difference in the amount of positive passes Ozil played vs the ones he overshot, I don't know what other context you need? If I showed you a video of the chances Auba and Lacazette missed vs Burnley do you need anymore context as to why that particular game was a bad day at the office? It's worth watching the match again and just looking how quick Ozil is looking to turn on the ball and play it forwards instead of sideways or backwards.

PNG, in the 2 videos you posted, I didn't see an awful lot of difference in Ozil's game and the stats. You presented 2 videos and claimed there were big differences in his performances. I disagreed. I presented stats from Whoscored.com that didn't show a massive difference in what he did on the pitch. To quote stats from the Understat site:

Ozil vs Sheffield United - xG - 0.0. xA - 0.10
Ozil vs Newcastle United - xG - 0.61. xA - 0.19

Now come on, they do not show a massive difference in performance - like you are claiming !! Thats my point and thats the ONLY point I am making.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:11 am

Rockape wrote:....... So let's just leave it at that.

:rofll: :rofll:
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:20 pm

theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:I've pointed you to the Understat site and have shown you the low xG chances Ozil is creating in each game to counter the argument about key passes/chances created stat. Pepe, Auba and Lacazette are out performing him and creating better chances. So if you know how xG is counted you should remember our discussion about the difference between a good goal scoring opportunity or just a pass that results in a shot on goal.

PNG, in the 2 videos you posted, I didn't see an awful lot of difference in Ozil's game and the stats. You presented 2 videos and claimed there were big differences in his performances. I disagreed. I presented stats from Whoscored.com that didn't show a massive difference in what he did on the pitch. To quote stats from the Understat site:

Ozil vs Sheffield United - xG - 0.0. xA - 0.10
Ozil vs Newcastle United - xG - 0.61. xA - 0.19

Now come on, they do not show a massive difference in performance - like you are claiming !! Thats my point and thats the ONLY point I am making.

You're taking our previous xG debate out of context. The xA/xG discussion was from a couple weeks back when talking specially about Ozil's assists and chances he's creating. IMO he's not the best at creating chances anymore, hence why he's not getting assists but we can still find a use for him because he's still good at being the guy that makes the pass before the assist. The role Ceballos played against Newscatsle, I'd be perfectly happy for Ozil to play that role if we don't have Ceballos.

I'm not arguing that his xA was better for Newcastle. It is you that say you use stats to defend Ozil as tangible evidence and fair way to judge, But even when I argue the stats and point out how they aren't in his favour, the goal posts shift and the excuse is he needs perfect conditions to function. Just look below.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28687&p=1783654&hilit=understat#p1783654

Again, look through the understat site and the games. If Torriera, Luiz and Xhaka can at least create high xG chances from deeper positions then maybe we stick Ozil in an area of the park where he can actually touch the ball more and maybe do damage from a deeper position. It's 2020 and we're not going to buy a midfield to accommodate Ozil.

Your response to that was....

Again, I will bring up the Man U game where we saw a completely different Ozil, the Ozil of old receiving the ball between the lines and doing damage. Thats the blueprint of the system that works for Ozil. The question is how do we get him to find those spaces AND receive the ball in those spaces EVERY GAME?!!

Check the stats vs Man Utd.

https://understat.com/match/11844

Ozil's xA was still low and 0.11 where Pepe was on top with 0.39 and then Laca with 0.15. I believe we were discussing Ozil's performance against Burnley when you made the comment but his xA vs Burnley was 0.15 which was better than the game where you say we've seen the best of Ozil this season. So to wrap up, in games where you say there is a massive difference, the stats can't back up your claim either. If you can't see a difference in the performance through video footage or stats....what else is there left to assume except just an overall bias for Ozil?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:59 pm

For anyone still following this Ozil talk, it's worth checking out the recent Arsenal Vision Podcast. Just listening now and they've probably summed up a lot of the key talking point on here recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0D0QooZziQ&t=1426s

Jump 13.50 for the stuff on Ozil.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby StockGooner » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:24 pm

If this topic was closed, what would the daily visits to this site be?
GW should be funding his salary through page ads to keep him at the club
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Jase89 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:26 pm

Ozil not in the Europa squad tonight for personal reasons apparently
Jase89
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby themessiah » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:39 pm

Jase89 wrote:Ozil not in the Europa squad tonight for personal reasons apparently

congrats to him and his wife.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby LMAO » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:43 pm

themessiah wrote:
Jase89 wrote:Ozil not in the Europa squad tonight for personal reasons apparently

congrats to him and his wife.

Yup. Gotta be there for the birth of your kid if you can.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LMAO » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:45 pm

StockGooner wrote:If this topic was closed, what would the daily visits to this site be?
GW should be funding his salary through page ads to keep him at the club

:lol:
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club