The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby King of Highbury XIV » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:57 pm

How about that tweet from Ozil... no matter what (im getting that 350k p/w)
all of my posts are my own opinion
King of Highbury XIV
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:25 pm

Gareth Bale minus the golf and the occasional big game performance.

He's close to the bottom of the PL's Chances created table. Might as well look at that since G+A alone can't encapsulate his genius.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_created
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:30 pm

Has to play no matter what.

In no game in any circumstances is willock better than Ozil. Only creative player we have.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby ag6789 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:36 pm

But was he fit enough? The rest of the gang looked like just arrived from a holiday. He, of late, isn't the most gung ho guy either.
Tried to stay away from tough away fixtures.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:58 pm

elkanofan wrote:
Dejan wrote:So.... can we now say that the ozils situation wasnt specific to emery?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Right now we have almost reached the very polar opposite emotions of the euphoria even on this very forum from when he joined!

I think this picture is appropriate:

The result that day and the result today give a single good metaphor of many to why we have gone backwards as a club since Ozil has joined.

I'm numb to it almost, it doesn't make me sad anymore, I've vented more than enough at Ozil this and last year at him but we have much bigger problems now and they will take years to sort out.

So we get dumped by City and you make a post about Ozil - who wasn't playng? :lol:
Should be pointed out that Ozil joined in 2013. If you actually think we started going downhill then, you don't follow Arsenal very closely (which would explain a lot).
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Angelito » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:33 pm

Ach wrote:Has to play no matter what.

In no game in any circumstances is willock better than Ozil. Only creative player we have.

In today's environment, is he as good as KdB? No, he isn't.

Is he our best midfielder? Yes. He is.

Record number of assists, only behind one Lionel Messi, says everything.

You can't start players who will never make it here—Eddie, Nelson, and Willock—over the greatest attacking midfield player of his generation.

There, I said it.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gooney » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:35 pm

The club is playing dirty games with Ozil trying to force him out. If he is becoming a problem they can pay him off his last year and remove the problem. But he is not gonna walk out on 350 a week no matter what they try
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:40 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
Dejan wrote:So.... can we now say that the ozils situation wasnt specific to emery?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Right now we have almost reached the very polar opposite emotions of the euphoria even on this very forum from when he joined!

I think this picture is appropriate:

The result that day and the result today give a single good metaphor of many to why we have gone backwards as a club since Ozil has joined.

I'm numb to it almost, it doesn't make me sad anymore, I've vented more than enough at Ozil this and last year at him but we have much bigger problems now and they will take years to sort out.

So we get dumped by City and you make a post about Ozil - who wasn't playng? [emoji38]
Should be pointed out that Ozil joined in 2013. If you actually think we started going downhill then, you don't follow Arsenal very closely (which would explain a lot).
Its true. Since then we have not moved forward. We stood still for 3 years and have gone downhill since 2016-2017. 3 FA Cups perfectly papered over the age old cracks. We are a soft whimps, we have no cajones to fight the real big guns.

Since Ozil has been at Arsenal he has never played in a victory against a Top 6 side away from home. Never. This was supposed to be the player to take us back to the levels when we beat United, City, Liverpool etc away from home. He failed even at his peak.

We made a big mistake buying him and to the striker we needed back in 2013.

We are paying £350,000 a week for a player who isn't good enough or ready to play a big match away from home vs an elite opponent.

The worst part as i mentioned is we have bigger problems that this clown Ozil, for example the circus around him allowing to steal a living at our club.

Reality is there for all to see. This is why we are all laughed at by the other clubs. This will take a while to sort out so get used to this shittyness.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ag6789 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:35 pm

Without Ozil, our midfield looked awful. No forward movement at all. If tactically dropped it was real bad tactics by Arteta.But I think it is more to do with his fitness. Probably not there yet, and Arteta didn't want to risk a major injury to him. We have none to fall back upon for creativity.
But hopefully will start next games.
Shows how poor our planning have been since beginning of the season.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:14 pm

The Gunners playmaker was left out of the squad to face Manchester City on Wednesday night

Mikel Arteta says Mesut Ozil will be back in his Arsenal team when he proves he wants to perform at his top level.

The German was left out of the matchday squad for Wednesday night's 3-0 defeat at Manchester City, with Arteta stating afterwards he had been left in London for ‘tactical reasons’.

Speaking to the press on Thursday night ahead of Saturday’s game at Brighton, Arsenal’s head coach expanded on his reasons for omitting Ozil from his squad and admitted he wants to see more from the 31-year-old in training.

“I have been very open with Mesut from day one,” said Arteta. “Since I joined I thought that he was fit and he was willing and he wanted to perform at the level he can do.

“The moment I see that he is ready again to do that, I will treat him like anybody else.

“I think I've been more than fair with him and I think he has responded in many games the way I want. That’s it.”

When asked why he believes Ozil has not been at the required level in training since the players returned from lockdown, Arteta added: “There's a lot that's happened to him in the last few weeks and I have to respect the time for every player. Sometimes they need a little bit of time.

“It's been a difficult preparation the last two months to get players ready and again, I'm the first one who wants Mesut at his best. I'm going to put him on the pitch when I think he can give his best.

“My conversations with Mesut will remain between me and him. What I can tell you is that it was a completely fine, honest and clear conversation. He was very well with me. There were no issues at all.”

Arsenal’s defeat on Wednesday night leaves them ninth in the table ahead of Saturday’s trip to Brighton, eight points adrift of fourth-placed Chelsea and five behind Manchester United in fifth.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/arteta- ... 95uwve13im
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby elkanofan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:17 am

ag6789 wrote:Without Ozil, our midfield looked awful. No forward movement at all. If tactically dropped it was real bad tactics by Arteta.But I think it is more to do with his fitness. Probably not there yet, and Arteta didn't want to risk a major injury to him. We have none to fall back upon for creativity.
But hopefully will start next games.
Shows how poor our planning have been since beginning of the season.
Ozil and pencil necked Ceballos are our only two creative players in the entire first team including loanees like ESR and god forbid Miki.

Our midfield is shit whoever we pick. Even our designated playmakers are second, third rate at best.

Ozils refusal to leave destroys any chance of us buying a much needed creative midfielder since we have other big issues more pressing to sort out like Auba's replacement. Right Back, central and defensive midfield if Lucas and Xhaka leave, let alone finding a good consistent non clown Center Back paring.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:25 am

Speaking to the press on Thursday night ahead of Saturday’s game at Brighton, Arsenal’s head coach expanded on his reasons for omitting Ozil from his squad and admitted he wants to see more from the 31-year-old in training.

“I have been very open with Mesut from day one,” said Arteta. “Since I joined I thought that he was fit and he was willing and he wanted to perform at the level he can do.

“The moment I see that he is ready again to do that, I will treat him like anybody else.

This sounds soo familiar, I just can't place it. Did somebody else at the club say something similar some time ago? :think: :think:
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:34 am

Going by Ozil's Insta, the PR battle between Ozil and Arsenal's hierarchy seems to have reignited.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StockGooner » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:55 am

I think Ang, you were possibly a bit unfair saying Eddie won't make it, but I agree on the Willock point. I don't mind Willock but he was never going to amount to much on Wednesday. That game needed either grabbing by the cojones which I don't think Willock would, but I don't think Ozil would either or it needed someone who would be able to slow the game down.

What Ozil would give you is that composure on the ball and that through ball that Auba was going for and so was Eddie with City's high line.

Is that worth £350k p/week? No. Is that Ozil's fault? No. And people here need to stop acting like it is.
StockGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:24 pm

I remember back in the day when footballers actually wanted to play and would do anything to get on the pitch.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club