The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (11)

Postby Newman123 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:42 pm

MecurialGooner wrote:Modric is clearly the best midfielder in the world. Kroos is up there, but it has to be Modric. Real Madrid have the best CM pivot (or duo) in world football at the moment. Kroos & Modric.

Prime Iniesta or Modric?
Newman123
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby MecurialGooner » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Newman123 wrote:
MecurialGooner wrote:Modric is clearly the best midfielder in the world. Kroos is up there, but it has to be Modric. Real Madrid have the best CM pivot (or duo) in world football at the moment. Kroos & Modric.

Prime Iniesta or Modric?

This is the age old question and surely one of the most difficult. But I'd have to say Prime Iniesta

I don't think I've ever seen a more gifted midfielder than Prime Andrés Iniesta, with the exception of the likes of Zidane of course.
MecurialGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:55 pm

Prime iniesta by far, I prefer xavi though
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Sims » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:55 pm

Shame they ruin it by having Casemiro behind them
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Gunpowder » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:03 pm

Sims wrote:Shame they ruin it by having Casemiro behind them

Thanks to your best midfielder in the world they have to have Casemiro
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Sims » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:10 pm

Think Kroos/Kovacic played DM when he was injured and I think they won every game
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby ESR10 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:15 pm

Casemiro is a rich man's Coquelin .. very useful in some bigger games to gain possession and interrupt the attack of the opposition... doesn't bring much to the side though in other games, when they dominate and need the creative touch of every player
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Newman123 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Mustafi wrote:Casemiro is a rich man's Coquelin .. very useful in some bigger games to gain possession and interrupt the attack of the opposition... doesn't bring much to the side though in other games, when they dominate and need the creative touch of every player

I don't think a lot of fans appreciate just how good of a player Arteta was for us when he joined. Only a few players could have played the role he did so well for us. What I'd give to have Arteta back with fresh legs.
Newman123
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby ESR10 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:27 pm

Newman123 wrote:
Mustafi wrote:Casemiro is a rich man's Coquelin .. very useful in some bigger games to gain possession and interrupt the attack of the opposition... doesn't bring much to the side though in other games, when they dominate and need the creative touch of every player

I don't think a lot of fans appreciate just how good of a player Arteta was for us when he joined. Only a few players could have played the role he did so well for us. What I'd give to have Arteta back with fresh legs.

agreed he did the DLP role very good in 12-13, he got the best out of Ramsey too for a while in 13-14. Shame that Wenger renewed his contract until he overstayed his welcome and got hated from the majority of fans
ESR10

Postby Newman123 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:31 pm

Mustafi wrote:
Newman123 wrote:

agreed he did the DLP role very good in 12-13, he got the best out of Ramsey too for a while in 13-14. Shame that Wenger renewed his contract until he overstayed his welcome and got hated from the majority of fans

I feel sorry for Arteta. You could tell he would give his all for the club and wanted the club to do really well. I'll never forgive fans for the abuse they gave him after he helped us greatly after Cesc left.
Newman123
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby UFGN » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:37 pm

Newman123 wrote:
Mustafi wrote:
Newman123 wrote:

I feel sorry for Arteta. You could tell he would give his all for the club and wanted the club to do really well. I'll never forgive fans for the abuse they gave him after he helped us greatly after Cesc left.

What do you mean he "helped us after Cesc left"?

What a bizarre statement. He was brought to the club and paid very well to do a job. He wasn't as good as the player he replaced, which wasn't his fault, but was also poor by his own standards in his final two seasons here, hence fans' disapproval.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Newman123 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:43 pm

UFGN wrote:
Newman123 wrote:
Mustafi wrote:
Newman123 wrote:

What do you mean he "helped us after Cesc left"?

What a bizarre statement. He was brought to the club and paid very well to do a job. He wasn't as good as the player he replaced, which wasn't his fault, but was also poor by his own standards in his final two seasons here, hence fans' disapproval.

Yes he was brought in to do a job and he did the job didnt he? I never said he was as good as Cesc but when fans ask for loyalty from players and then can in a moment forget the good a player has done for them and start treating them badly then I have no sympathy for the fans.

Arteta played well and then he declined. He was being played by Wenger but ofcourse we blamed Arteta.
Newman123
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Santi » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:04 pm

Sims wrote:Think Kroos/Kovacic played DM when he was injured and I think they won every game

Actually as soon as he got injured they drew 4 consecutive games after winning 5 in a row to start the season off.

There was no direct replacement at 'DM' btw, Isco, Asensio, Kovacic and Rodriguez all got more games while he was out. All done fine but there's a reason Casemiro plays every game when fit and why Zidane loves him.

He makes it the best mid trio in football. Only Barca come close but they keep chopping n changing, dunno why they didn't stick with Sergio Iniesta Raki.

Modric far superior to Kroos anyway, best CM in world football right now. He's been more key to Madrid than even Ronaldo for the last 2 years.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:47 pm

Still think a team like Madrid should have more than a simple destroyer on the side

Do they need a workhorse who can put a shift in and be a bit more robust than Toni & Modric, of course, but they also need that player to offer more going forward

Obviously not really feasible for Madrid at this point but someone like Vidal or Nainggolan in Casemiro's place would send their team to a whole other level

Barca need to bin Rakitic but as Iniesta's getting on he can't play as many mins, and they've bought square pegs for round holes in Arda & Andre Gomes
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Angelito » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:30 am

TOP wrote:Not even the best midfielder at Real

^

Mesüt wrote:
Sims wrote:Think Kroos/Kovacic played DM when he was injured and I think they won every game

Actually as soon as he got injured they drew 4 consecutive games after winning 5 in a row to start the season off.

There was no direct replacement at 'DM' btw, Isco, Asensio, Kovacic and Rodriguez all got more games while he was out. All done fine but there's a reason Casemiro plays every game when fit and why Zidane loves him.

He makes it the best mid trio in football. Only Barca come close but they keep chopping n changing, dunno why they didn't stick with Sergio Iniesta Raki.

Modric far superior to Kroos anyway, best CM in world football right now. He's been more key to Madrid than even Ronaldo for the last 2 years.

Modric, by far, has been the best performing player for Real since their decima season. The best CM in the world, hands down.

Iniesta-Rakitic-Busi is nowhere as good as Real's trio at this stage. Iniesta isn't the same player he was. Shame that he peaked way earlier than Xavi did. He's still class of course. Sergio has also slowed down these days. On paper, Barca still have a stellar side. It's flattery though. They're more reliant than ever on Messi because Neymar's become this clone of Gervinho and Walcott, while Suarez has been quite inconsistent this season.

Sims wrote:Still think a team like Madrid should have more than a simple destroyer on the side

Do they need a workhorse who can put a shift in and be a bit more robust than Toni & Modric, of course, but they also need that player to offer more going forward

Obviously not really feasible for Madrid at this point but someone like Vidal or Nainggolan in Casemiro's place would send their team to a whole other level

Barca need to bin Rakitic but as Iniesta's getting on he can't play as many mins, and they've bought square pegs for round holes in Arda & Andre Gomes

That's why Real failed for years. Every team needs a destroyer. It does help when that destroyer is as good as Sergio. That, of course, doesn't happen all the time. They started succeeding after realizing the importance of a protective CM. It's rather simplistic to call a player a mere simple destroyer when he allows his midfield partners to express themselves.

Casemiro is one of the reasons why Real have been stable and consistent this season, and managed to win the CL last season (with help from UEFA of course). You can't have three similar attack-minded players and expect, theoretically, for them to produce mouth-watering football. That's a very idealistic way of looking at it. Wengerball? :shocked:

I don't think Vidal would work with Kroos and Modric. Casemiro's attitude helps bring the best out of Kroos and Modric. Kroos needs a baby sitter by his side. Vidal, while world class, won't offer the protection Casemiro does - the selfless sacrifice, if you will. I can't say much about 'Ggolan because I have't seen him play all that.

On Rakitic, I'd easily take him here. He's better than all our midfield players, except Santi. He could play with Xhaka or with Coquelin. The whole, "What's our best midfield combo?" would also be put to rest.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club