The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (11)

Postby Sims » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:36 pm

What are u rambling on about now
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Santi » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:41 pm

our best and most lively player of the game despite sweating his balls off for 70 mins and jmiles still moaning
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Not talking about today, he needs competition to keep him on his toes, otherwise he will go missing like last season.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Most technically gifted Arsenal players Imo -

1.Bergkamp
2. RVP
3. Cazorla
4. Rosicky
5. Ozil

How far back are we going ? Liam Brady and Anders Limpar would be on my list, knocking off Cazorla and Rosicky.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:38 am

GoonerAlexis wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:Show me one example of Henry displaying a first touch as pure as Bergkamp's in those goals against Leicester and Newcastle, and that goal in the world cup.

Or a goal as well placed and finessed as the one against Sunderland.

Bergkamp was on another level with his technical ability, I don't think anyone on that list, despite being so, so good, is close to him

Agreed. Bergkamp tops the list for me for not only Arsenal but the entire history of the Premier League era.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:40 am

GoonerAlexis wrote:I think the most underrated feature of that team were Pires and Ljungberg, most of the praise went to Bergkamp and Henry, but those two were arguably one of the best wingers to grace AFC

Ljungberg was not a winger.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:41 am

theHotHead wrote:

1.Bergkamp
2. RVP
3. Cazorla
4. Rosicky
5. Ozil

How far back are we going ? Liam Brady and Anders Limpar would be on my list, knocking off Cazorla and Rosicky.

As far back as you've seen.

Brady and Limpar were before my time.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Arsene Nose » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:42 am

theHotHead wrote:
GoonerAlexis wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:Show me one example of Henry displaying a first touch as pure as Bergkamp's in those goals against Leicester and Newcastle, and that goal in the world cup.

Bergkamp was on another level with his technical ability, I don't think anyone on that list, despite being so, so good, is close to him

Agreed. Bergkamp tops the list for me for not only Arsenal but the entire history of the Premier League era.

I didnt write that post. Stop fake quoting me.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:49 am

Marsbar100 wrote:
Sims wrote:He drove with Vic Akers if he was going to a game

Doesn't change how he was as a player. Not like Thierry was much better just cause he didn't have a fear of flying

I think Henry is the best we've had but Dennis was always my favourite and well ahead of anyone we've had in terms of technical ability

I think Henry was another level tbh, 24+pl goals 5 seasons running no one has dominated the pl like he did.

Correction - Henry did not score 25+ goals in the PL in 5 seasons running, it was 3 seasons running.

And Alan Shearer scored 20+ PL goals in 7 seasons, Henry managed 20+ PL goals in 5 seasons. No striker is more prolific in the PL era than Alan Shearer.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:56 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

1.Bergkamp
2. RVP
3. Cazorla
4. Rosicky
5. Ozil

Furry Muff.

I would put Henry instead of Ozil because, if its a question of technical ability, we have never seen anyone do the things Henry has done for us ... but we have seen silky number 10s before, Ozil doesn't do anything extraordinary, in my opinion. Nobody runs with the ball as fast as Rosicky, not even Messi. Now before some eejut makes a stupid comment, I am talking close control and number of touches - nobody dribbles and touches the ball as much as Rosicky does when he dribbles - running full pelt. Cazorla I can agree with because he is completely both footed and has impeccable close control with both feet - and does it in the condensed battlefield of central midfield.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:59 am

Arsene Nose wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
GoonerAlexis wrote:Show me one example of Henry displaying a first touch as pure as Bergkamp's in those goals against Leicester and Newcastle, and that goal in the world cup.

Fixed !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:02 am

theHotHead wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

1.Bergkamp
2. RVP
3. Cazorla
4. Rosicky
5. Ozil

Furry Muff.

I would put Henry instead of Ozil because, if its a question of technical ability, we have never seen anyone do the things Henry has done for us

Yeah, I can agree with that.

I would swap them out.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Arsene Nose » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:03 am

theHotHead wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
GoonerAlexis wrote:Show me one example of Henry displaying a first touch as pure as Bergkamp's in those goals against Leicester and Newcastle, and that goal in the world cup.

Fixed !

thank you
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:52 am

theHotHead wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:
Sims wrote:He drove with Vic Akers if he was going to a game

Doesn't change how he was as a player. Not like Thierry was much better just cause he didn't have a fear of flying

I think Henry is the best we've had but Dennis was always my favourite and well ahead of anyone we've had in terms of technical ability

I think Henry was another level tbh, 24+pl goals 5 seasons running no one has dominated the pl like he did.

Correction - Henry did not score 25+ goals in the PL in 5 seasons running, it was 3 seasons running.

And Alan Shearer scored 20+ PL goals in 7 seasons, Henry managed 20+ PL goals in 5 seasons. No striker is more prolific in the PL era than Alan Shearer.

I said 24+ not 25+, henry did 24+ 5 seasons running, shearer managed that 4 seasons running, prime shearer was probably more prolific but Henry wasn't just goals, he was breaking the assist record in that 5 year timeframe to, he had far more to his game than shearer.

My point was no one over a sustained period of time has dominated the pl like Henry, Ronaldo 07/08 is better than any season than Henry had and shearer had better goalscoring seasons but Henry as an all round player, goals, assists, power, technique and just humiliating players no one has come to doing that for the length of time he did which makes him a different level to Dennis imo.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:28 pm

Lol at my reading comprehension :rofll:
24, 25 .... :dontknow:
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext