The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Soooo Ozil's back

Postby dammyGunner » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:47 am

Ozil ALWAYS drifts to the wings (especially left) when running with the ball but never does a good job as a winger in the team's defensive phase

I will suggest

Giroud
Carzola <--> Ozil Sanchez

with Attacking phase:
Giroud
Ozil/Sanchez Carzola Ozil/Sanchez

and in Defensive phase:
Giroud
Carzola Ozil Sanchez
dammyGunner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Big17 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:16 pm

3 goals and 2 assists in his last 4 games since his comeback. A good little return that.

With him almost back to 100% match fitness could we finally be about to see the Madrid Ozil? I thought he was good in the first, picking out Theo a few times when he had brief stints upfront. Faded a little in the second half though especially when Sanchez and Theo went off.
Big17
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby ESFSAFC » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:25 pm

He has been one of the better players in the last few games which isn't saying much. Can't believe how poor we have been recently in central midfield.
ESFSAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ChrisSuperG » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:31 pm

Can you believe how well he plays with runners?

It actually disgusts me Wenger takes all of the runners off, replaces them with slugs and leaves Ozil on to get abused.
ChrisSuperG
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby elkanofan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:44 pm

Comparison to him at Madrid to him last season

like i said in the comment:

I think a better comparison would be him at Werder Bremen to how he is now.

At Madrid his entire game was passing the ball to Cristiano and Benzmea, he didn't score much, he didn't even dribble that much he was all pure passing on the counter usually or using his exceptional vision. I actually preferred him at Bremen where he had lots of freedom and was more all round, would do everything, score, assist, dribble took wonderful free kicks also. His first season at Arsenal he'd come straight from a counter attacking team to a possession based team so his game didn't really fit into our style. The premier league is easier than spain since you get more space, teams are very naive, thats not the issue, it's more he has to go back to his Bremen days i think! 

He's supposed to be world class, but in all honest his game at Madrid became more and more one dimensional, being too pass based, last season i could see his issue vs West Ham away, he had about 3, 4 chances to shoot and his only intention was to pass. We all know it's very political at Madrid and the gameplan really is to work hard and pass to cristiano to score, he's become so drilled into that the rest of his game isn't at a world class level.

Needs to go back to that, play with more freedom! It's been too long since Ozil scored a beautiful goal where he beat 2 players with a dribble and a classy finish. Thats why i'm thinking also we need to keep him out on the right so he tries to go back to how he used to play at Bremen he's no Cristiano's personal assistant like at Madrid anymore.
Last edited by elkanofan on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Sims » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:50 pm

The don
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:53 pm

I've been happy with Ozil since his return, generally been amongst our best players.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby addict » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:57 pm

ESFSAFC wrote:He has been one of the better players in the last few games which isn't saying much. Can't believe how poor we have been recently in central midfield.

How no one wants to see that us beeing poor in midfield is also related to Ozil starting again is beyond me.
When playing, he becomes our first option in midfield , influences our game a lot.
Alexis playing in central midfield is way more direct and solid.
addict
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Sims » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:58 pm

addict wrote:
ESFSAFC wrote:He has been one of the better players in the last few games which isn't saying much. Can't believe how poor we have been recently in central midfield.

How no one wants to see that us beeing poor in midfield is also related to Ozil starting again is beyond me.
When playing, he becomes our first option in midfield , influences our game a lot.

Vendetta against Özil tbh

Plus Alexis isn't even a midfielder
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby defcon2005 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:58 pm

he has to toughen up in the prem to earn the right to play his pretty football
i hope he does as it will be a real shame and great waste of talent if he gives up and leaves
defcon2005
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Location: between the gates of hell and the entrance to valhalla

Postby ESFSAFC » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:58 pm

elkanofan wrote:Comparison to him at Madrid to him last season

like i said in the comment:

I think a better comparison would be him at Werder Bremen to how he is now.

At Madrid his entire game was passing the ball to Cristiano and Benzmea, he didn't score much, he didn't even dribble that much he was all pure passing on the counter usually or using his exceptional vision. I actually preferred him at Bremen where he had lots of freedom and was more all round, would do everything, score, assist, dribble took wonderful free kicks also. His first season at Arsenal he'd come straight from a counter attacking team to a possession based team so his game didn't really fit into our style. The premier league is easier than spain since you get more space, teams are very naive, thats not the issue, it's ore he has to go back to his Bremen days i think! 

He's supposed to be world class, but in all honest his game at Madrid became more and more one dimensional, being too pass based, last season i could see his issue vs West Ham away, he had about 3, 4 chances to shoot and his only intention was to pass. We all know it's very political at Madrid and the gameplan really is to work hard and pass to cristiano to score, he's become so drilled intot hat the rest of his game isn't at a world class level.

Needs to go back to that, play with more freedom

I'm starting to think that Wenger bought Ozil with the intent of making him a goal scoring winger, similar to Pires or Ljungberg. I actually don't mind if this is the case as he is a decent finisher.
ESFSAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby addict » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:59 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:I've been happy with Ozil since his return, generally been amongst our best players.

How was our general play then with him being amongst our best players
addict
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:03 pm

addict wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:I've been happy with Ozil since his return, generally been amongst our best players.

How was our general play then with him being amongst our best players

Quite good until the clusterfuck against Tottenham - I guess that was Mesut's fault. :rolleyes:
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby addict » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:05 pm

Sims wrote:
addict wrote:

Vendetta against Özil tbh

Plus Alexis isn't even a midfielder

Go back and watch our games with Sanchez starting in central midfield. There are few of those.
addict
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Sims » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:05 pm

Our attacking play has been 10x better since Özil has returned, how deluded can you be ffs

Don't blame Mesut for the lack of balance, blame your idol for playing someone like Cazorla/Rosicky alongside Coquelin

Alexis has never played CM ffs, he played behind the striker
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club