The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Chris Sharma » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:41 am

Its incredible people make excuses for players not passing to Özil in the easiest of situations. There were two clearcut easy throughballs to play yesterday. I cant understand it that they did not / were scared to play those balls to Özil. Imo must be some Emery philsophy not to play passes if they are not 100 % certain.

Terrible game yesterday. Not a single individual has progressed during Emery. Even Matteo was again a headless chicken yesterday. Özil was by no means great but he was one of the better for sure. His pass rate in the attacking third was 95 % if I remember correctly and Arseblog, which I rate as a site gave him the best rating. In general though dogshit game from Arsenal.
Chris Sharma
Michael Thomas

Postby Nuggets » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:49 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:We didn't score. I thought not playing Ozil was the reason we weren't creating or scoring goals? Well that argument is now shown to be BS.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

:rofll:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:54 pm

gamechannel wrote:I see Elko is out in full force. If we are picking on Ozil for this game, we are clearly not pointing at the right problem. All things considered, he was one of our better players today. But that's really not saying much.

Ozil is the least of this teams worries.

Exactly right.
Ozil's link play and ball retention was actually very good.

For those that can not see the 3 players that let the team down yesterday in an otherwise fairly decent away set up and performance against a top 4 team, I'll help. Look no further than Bellerin, Holding and Lacazette. They were as bad as it gets and all deserve to be dropped.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:11 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Ozil was again our best player tonight.
Not great by amy means - but our best player nonetheless.

This blind stupidity is beyond belief - Ozil was anonymous, he did nothing good and nothing bad might as well have stayed in bed ... look at the team comparisons ... he made just 39 passes, for a supposed play-maker that's pathetic, Leicester had four player with over 60 passes

Was that because Leicester had 70% possession? No it wasn't possession was nearly 50%/50% .... Ozil just didn't want the ball ... Kos, Guend, Bell all had 50% more touches than he did, as did our entire back line ...

Looking OK whilst hiding away for 90 minutes is not being "our best player" ... Ozil's role is to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and make things happen, otherwise he has no value ... contrast Ozil's 39 anonymous passes with Tielemans 50 passes and an assist, and there's no comparison it's a major reason why Leicester won and we looked shit. When our supposed best players go missing, we're screwed.

Bringing back Ozil was Emery's last mistake ... they both need to go ...

You have a lot to learn about the game if you think Ozil was the issue yesterday.
We were away to a top 4 side. Our front 3 were never going to get as much of the ball.

It's strange because last week against Wolves Ozil had 110 touches and 3 key passes, yet you were not on here talking about how well he played.
You pick and choose stats based on your agenda, fella.

Yesterday, Ozil did a good job when he got the ball - linking play and retaining posession. He was all over the pitch, working hard as his heat map shows, making himself available. He didn't lose posession at all and was our top tackler (yep!). It was a solid 6 to 7 out of 10. Not great, but not bad, but enough to be our best player. In fact, since he's come back, he's easily been our best player.

Should be the first name on the team sheet and Emery should be removed for only giving him 250 minutes all season. Stupid decision.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:19 pm

jayramfootball wrote:You have a lot to learn about the game if you think Ozil was the issue yesterday.
We were away to a top 4 side. Our front 3 were never going to get as much of the ball.

It's strange because last week against Wolves Ozil had 110 touches and 3 key passes, yet you were not on here talking about how well he played.
You pick and choose stats based on your agenda, fella.

Yesterday, Ozil did a good job when he got the ball - linking play and retaining posession. He was all over the pitch, working hard as his heat map shows, making himself available. He didn't lose posession at all and was our top tackler (yep!). It was a solid 6 to 7 out of 10. Not great, but not bad, but enough to be our best player. In fact, since he's come back, he's easily been our best player.

Should be the first name on the team sheet and Emery should be removed for only giving him 250 minutes all season. Stupid decision.

You think Ozil is the future of Arsenal football club - I think that makes you an idiot - others can make up their own mind ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Dejan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:45 pm

This thread will never change lol

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:45 pm

Dejan wrote:This thread will never change lol

Of course.

You have your Ozil fanboys who will probably leave the club with him and support whatever Chinese or MLS team he joins next and saying the usual crap, 'You know football because you criticize Ozil'. I find many of these cannot think for themselves, i find their support for Ozil is their own deep rooted insecurities in which they think they can insult you because your not part of the 'popular group' and rely heavily on others to share their cognitive dissonance.

Then you have guys like me who see him for being the most overrated footballer in world football, on way, way too much money and I'm tired of seeing us go nowhere, not just due to a shitshow of a board, a manager out of confidence but due to this player who thinks he's bigger than Arsenal and has weaseled his way back in the team which has had no improvement at all to results, we created more chances without him ffs.

The Ozil fanboys here are literally a cult, no doubt about it. They can't even understand I was a huge fan of Mesut Ozil which is why i can't stand him anyone because its clear he's not even a 1/5 of the player he used to be. He's a greedy bastard who is happy to blame others and never himself, just like the cult that surrounds him all in the name of money and lifestyle.

I want him gone 1st of January, out of the club. once we free up the 350k in wages we can finally start to move forward a bit, since hes dropped so low finding a better replacement wont be hard. Ozil has been here since 2013, his best days are already past him but his dear followers still live in the dreamworld were he will suddenly resurrect into the Ozil from 2009-2013 or even the Ozil 2014-2016 who clearly doesn't exist anymore.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:50 pm

elkanofan wrote:
Dejan wrote:This thread will never change lol

Of course.

You have your Ozil fanboys who will probably leave the club with him and support whatever Chinese or MLS team he joins next and saying the usual crap, 'You know football because you criticize Ozil'. I find many of these cannot think for themselves, i find their support for Ozil is their own deep rooted insecurities in which they think they can insult you because your not part of the 'popular group' and rely heavily on others to share their cognitive dissonance.

Then you have guys like me who see him for being the most overrated footballer in world football, on way, way too much money and I'm tired of seeing us go nowhere, not just due to a shitshow of a board, a manager out of confidence but due to this player who thinks he's bigger than Arsenal and has weaseled his way back in the team which has had no improvement at all to results, we created more chances without him ffs.

The Ozil fanboys here are literally a cult, no doubt about it. They can't even understand I was a huge fan of Mesut Ozil which is why i can't stand him anyone because its clear he's not even a 1/5 of the player he used to be. He's a greedy bastard who is happy to blame others and never himself, just like the cult that surrounds him all in the name of money and lifestyle.

I want him gone 1st of January, out of the club. once we free up the 350k in wages we can finally start to move forward a bit, since hes dropped so low finding a better replacement wont be hard. Ozil has been here since 2013, his best days are already past him but his dear followers still live in the dreamworld were he will suddenly resurrect into the Ozil from 2009-2013 or even the Ozil 2014-2016 who clearly doesn't exist anymore.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Nuggets

Postby immsun » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:53 pm

Found another one here. Fabregas,Nasri,RVP,vela wilshere,santi,etc would have killed leicster then and there but here its poor decision making,mistakes and lack of vision totally. Just dwell on the ball and do f***ing nothing with it.

https://www.onlinearsenal.com/uploads/d ... 000c9b.gif
immsun
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby elkanofan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Power n Glory wrote:If he passes that with his right foot, he's not blocking that.

He is. As soon as he raises his foot to try that pass, hell even in he shifts his weight back to his left foot down the line Perieira is literally watching him ready to intercept.

See your interpreting that he's not close enough to Kolasinac to intercept, he is. Not only that he can see Sonyacu tracking Ozil's run anyway.

It's easy and doesn't even have to be inch perfect into Ozil's path. Just make the attempt even if it's blocked and play it forward.

and lose possession with a silly pass with a defender right infront of you?

We were too negative and that's a clear example of killing attacking momentum and going backwards.

Or be positive with a foolish 4-2-3-1 without the defensive players to hold off Leicester's attacks? The same 4-2-3-1 we did yesterday and Ozil was hiding on the wings so we STILL had nobody centrally directing play?

Elk...what are you watching?

Leicester vs Arsenal

You can't talk so much on the tactical side but be so blind and biased. Kills all credibility for what you write.

I see your still so determined to prove me wrong, relax... Smoke some weed. No need for me to live rent free in your head man.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Hybrid47 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:35 pm

You can call people fan boys all you like. Simple fact is if Ozil had a poor game I'd say it.

I did however see him make a number of great runs yesterday and not once did he get it.

If a whole fanbase voiced that they wanted him back in the side it validates what he gives us going forward.

It just so happens in this game Laca did very little and neither did Auba. The runs have to be made for a 10 to create, and there were opportunities to give him the ball in advanced positions. Immsun has already pointed two of those out and it was happening alot.

If you didn't see that, we clearly watched two different games.
Hybrid47
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:59 pm

elkanofan wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:If he passes that with his right foot, he's not blocking that.

He is. As soon as he raises his foot to try that pass, hell even in he shifts his weight back to his left foot down the line Perieira is literally watching him ready to intercept.

See your interpreting that he's not close enough to Kolasinac to intercept, he is. Not only that he can see Sonyacu tracking Ozil's run anyway.

It's easy and doesn't even have to be inch perfect into Ozil's path. Just make the attempt even if it's blocked and play it forward.

and lose possession with a silly pass with a defender right infront of you?

We were too negative and that's a clear example of killing attacking momentum and going backwards.

Or be positive with a foolish 4-2-3-1 without the defensive players to hold off Leicester's attacks? The same 4-2-3-1 we did yesterday and Ozil was hiding on the wings so we STILL had nobody centrally directing play?

Elk...what are you watching?

Leicester vs Arsenal

You can't talk so much on the tactical side but be so blind and biased. Kills all credibility for what you write.

I see your still so determined to prove me wrong, relax... Smoke some weed. No need for me to live rent free in your head man.

You kill you're own credibility and maybe you should lay off the weed. You're far from objective on this one. The last time we beat Leicester City we played a 4-2-3-1. Our last decent run of form was when we were playing that formation. We have changed formation 7 times in a row and to a different formation each time. Is that good idea to you? For someone that talks a great deal about tactics, what would have been the right approach in your opinion for this game? Previously you mentioned a 4-2-3-1 wasn't a good idea because Auba would have to play on the wing. Didn't you see the amount of time both Auba and Laca were playing on the wings yesterday? They were both having to track Leicester's fullbacks when marking up. Is that honestly a good approach?

Should he stick with this formation or should he try a different formation or line up? Does he need to be more conservative with our passing or take more risks? What's the point in playing three at the back with two wingbacks that hardly ventured forward if there isn't enough defensive cover if we're still unable to take a bit more of risk on attacks? For that Kola/Ozil pass situation, it's not as if there was a great risk if we lost the ball in that possession. There were enough players back to recover.

On attack, Ozil wasn't the problem yesterday. We could hardly play a ball forward. Look at the heat maps and passing stats on Stat Zone or Who Scored. Holding and Chambers were passing the ball backwards a lot and we had shambolic moments where we'd lose possession in our own half like that moment Bellerin mishit a pass to Luiz. With Aubameyang and Lacazette both drifting to opposite flanks, does it actually make sense for Ozil to just stand in the middle waiting for a pass when both strikers are far to his left or right? How is he supposed to link play with nobody around and in a isolated position? Torriera and Guendouzi weren't trying to burst forward into the box. He's drifting into wide areas to connect play and exchange passes with our strikers and wingbacks that should have been overlapping. Also, Emery is a coach that seems to only like to conduct play through the wide areas. Our best attacking moments came when we zipped it quickly through the wide areas and that offsie goal from Auba came from Ozil linking with Kola who then connected with Auba from the left.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby elkanofan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:05 pm

Hybrid47 wrote:You can call people fan boys all you like. Simple fact is if Ozil had a poor game I'd say it.

I did however see him make a number of great runs yesterday and not once did he get it.

If a whole fanbase voiced that they wanted him back in the side it validates what he gives us going forward.

It just so happens in this game Laca did very little and neither did Auba. The runs have to be made for a 10 to create, and there were opportunities to give him the ball in advanced positions. Immsun has already pointed two of those out and it was happening alot.

If you didn't see that, we clearly watched two different games.

Was Ozil playing as a winger or i swear he was supposed to be playing as an attacking mid. Central attacking mid.

Why the f***er always running out wide then?

He's supposed to stay central but just runs around where he wants detrimental to the team. Again not once yesterday did he try a risky pass around 35-25 yards out CENTRAL to Auba and Laca.

theHotHead wrote:Total bollox and proves you have never played the game, except for maybe in your school playground.

Any player would easily be able to play the ball with the outside of their left foot into the space Ozil is running into and not have the ball intercepted.

Scholar of tactics my ass, stick to knitting.

I can just repeat this quote when you start because this is all your doing.

elkanofan wrote:
Of course.

On a training pitch its simple with no pressure. as i said again. With a player ready to intercept its not so simple.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby elkanofan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
You kill you're own credibility and maybe you should lay off the weed. You're far from objective on this one. The last time we beat Leicester City we played a 4-2-3-1.

Last time we won at the King Power Brenden Rodgers was about to get sacked as Liverpool manager. Liverpool have gone past us and won the Champions League since. We still have Ozil who now not even 3/5ths of the player he was that day. That's not just Jurgen Klopp being given the time to build the team he wants. that's us who from the top only care about profit and money.

In the same time since that last win in 2015 away to Leicester Ozil has gone from a player Liverpool would kill for to a player who would just about make their C team.

Our last decent run of form was when we were playing that formation.

No we collapsed after Ramsey got injured vs Napoli and we where playing 3-4-3, 3-5-2 variations.

We have changed formation 7 times in a row and to a different formation each time. Is that good idea to you? For someone that talks a great deal about tactics, what would have been the right approach in your opinion for this game?

They were both having to track Leicester's fullbacks when marking up. Is that honestly a good approach?

Should he stick with this formation or should he try a different formation or line up? Does he need to be more conservative with our passing or take more risks? What's the point in playing three at the back with two wingbacks that hardly ventured forward if there isn't enough defensive cover if we're still unable to take a bit more of risk on attacks? For that Kola/Ozil pass situation, it's not as if there was a great risk if we lost the ball in that possession. There were enough players back to recover.

They were both having to track Leicester's fullbacks when marking up. Is that honestly a good approach?

That shows you how crap the team is, average managers can win with good balanced teams full of top class players, its not hard! The talent win games by themselves, just look at Valverde at Barca! Barca's issue is their midfield is slow and not as good as they would like, so they rely too much on Messi.

Whats hard is what Emery has now which is the worst midfield we have had in 25 years with no strength, little pace and movement and poor offensive & defensive awareness. A truly horribly balanced squad. So I ain't surprised he's changing things so much, he has to. if he did't we would be getting smashed every week with who we have available in midfield because the team is so flawed. We had to play 3 at the back for defensive solidity, we are that shit!

Leicester who aren't a great side have a genuinely better midfield than us on paper, Emery created a good formation but its a shame we didn't have a real attacking mid who could join in with the press and stayed central to give the passes to Auba and Laca. Emery built that formation to suit Ozil's deficiencies, i saw in defense we was false 9 with Auba and Laca either side of him and he still sucked, that's should tell you what you need to know in how bad he is. Emery failed by not taking Ozil off and getting someone to help out Aubu and Laca in central areas.

Previously you mentioned a 4-2-3-1 wasn't a good idea because Auba would have to play on the wing. Didn't you see the amount of time both Auba and Laca were playing on the wings yesterday?

The whole point was Auba and Laca had to sacrifice their game for Ozil and press on the wings while Ozil was allowed to stand around and pick his nose while a times tracking Ndidi until he tired as usual around 25/30 minutes or he just died after 60 minutes. We cannot press high with Ozil in the team because hes not good enough physically to cope. I've said this 100% times, you ignore this every single time, every single time!

Our best chances yesterday where all created in the final 3rd by others and Laca and Auba by themselves, also Bellerin did well in attack. If Ozil didn't contribute to it with a simple pass here was usually hiding on the opposite wing to the chance. Even Ceballos who has been poor would of been much better yesterday if fit, at the very least despite his clear physical deficiencies he puts far more effort in and stays central.

On attack, Ozil wasn't the problem yesterday. We could hardly play a ball forward. Look at the heat maps and passing stats on Stat Zone or Who Scored.

Holding and Chambers were passing the ball backwards a lot and we had shambolic moments where we'd lose possession in our own half like that moment Bellerin mishit a pass to Luiz. With Aubameyang and Lacazette both drifting to opposite flanks, does it actually make sense for Ozil to just stand in the middle waiting for a pass when both strikers are far to his left or right? How is he supposed to link play with nobody around and in a isolated position?

Well you say i lose credibility yet your using Stat zone or who scored which is just pathetic.

http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/

and there are other sites out there where you watch the game back, if your a red member like me you watch watch in on Arsenal player! That's how you do analysis, the stats are secondary. Watch the full game! The only stat which is important is the score and we don't score or assist with Ozil!

I don't expect Ozil to stand around, I expect him to look for space in central Areas as his job is to thread ball in vertically to Auba and Laca who where given roles in attack to run diagonally from out wide where they have helped in the press to run in central. Ozil failed to do this once. This is because he lacks the energy to do the amount of running needed to make this happen. Every f***ing time he made runs out wide, which compromised Kolasinac and Bellerin so baldy especially in the second half. Bellerin actually went central because Ozil was stupidly suck out wide, hiding rather than doing his job. Ozil knows he hasn't got the energy to make the difference anymore but he doesn't care and expects to play anyway or he throws a hissy fit when he receives the truth that he's overrated and not worth the money hes on.

Torriera and Guendouzi weren't trying to burst forward into the box. He's drifting into wide areas to connect play and exchange passes with our strikers and wingbacks that should have been overlapping.

That screenshot you spoke about where Kolasinac didn't pass to him and ignored him, he didn't move back centrally to help continue the attack. he just threw his arms up, stood there and Chambers ended up losing the ball 5 seconds later since he was crowded out and had not enough central options infront of him, this is my point, the Ozil of 2011 would of ran back onside and helped Matteo and Chambers out retain the ball as Auba and Laca where moving centrally and its Ozil's job to be the man to dictate in the final third. But he just stood around since like i said, he doesn't care.

Ozil made a very similar run 7 minutes before on 15 minutes where he has Laca in the strikers position and Ozil is trying to run ahead of him? and Kolasianc is again marked by Periera and has no viable options to pass forward to? There this consistent huge gap between the strikers and deep sitting midfielders Ozil refused to link play within, he runs out wide to hide and shirk responsibility so all his safe passes will give him a +90% pass accuracy stat to hide his shitty play behind. I'd rather him have 75% 80% pass accuracy actually trying to dictate things centrally and try take players n, shot and thread risky balls in from central areas,

At one point in the 34 minute We had Kolasinac and Aubameyang almost running hand in hand down the left flank. Ozil for once was central, our furthest players forward. Instead of staying central and allowing them both to support eachover out there and provide an outlet for them both centrally, he does what he did all f***ing game, ran out wide, he did manage a 1-2 with Auba which Auba as i said actually created a chance with Bellerin taking responsibility and making the central run.

I can go on, i'm actually being light and fluffy here. I haven't even begun to speak about him in the second half. Why is he trying to do our Wingbacks for them without the pace and energy to be effective out wide? He doesn't even look round him to see clear and quality options much anymore. he just does safe passes all game.

Also, Emery is a coach that seems to only like to conduct play through the wide areas. Our best attacking moments came when we zipped it quickly through the wide areas and that offsie goal from Auba came from Ozil linking with Kola who then connected with Auba from the left.

That was a very simple pass from Ozil, I'm not going to wax lyrical over him doing the basics fro his job. Kolasinac released it a little early and maybe Auba could of timed the run better however that happens. You can't get every attack right.

The reason you keep losing these arguments is you don't understand the balance between offence and defence, hence why you keep pedaling that silly 4-2-3-1 which we used vs Leicester once 2-0 down and was hopelessly ineffective even when Leicester where just defending to see the game out.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:51 pm

Elk....you can't be serious. He has to change formation every week to avoid getting smashed but our most consistent form comes when he sticks to a formation.....make it make sense.

You seem to think this is a pissing contest and you're overly concerned with winning a debate, doubling down on nonsense that you know makes no footballing sense at all. Hence why you won't concede a point even if it doesn't make tactical sense. Keep thinking you're winning something. You've managed to duck and deflect most of my questions.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club