The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10) ~ Hero, Icon, Legend

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:57 pm

This is funny.

Sums up this thread.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Sims » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:13 pm

Lee Gunner is a paedophile
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:41 pm

theHotHead wrote:EK you can argue all you want, but you know you are wrong. Ozil left Bremen because he was wanted by the most prestigious club in the world. Ozil was one of Mourinho's stalwarts who played him all the time, his number of appearances never dipped. Ozil chose to leave Real because they got a new manager in after Mourinho, nobody knows the reason but fact is Ozil set highest assist in the league.

You are really digging and clutching at straws here, you have nothing so you try to create a false narrative

Not digging .... just telling it like it was .... To claim RM sold us the 'best player they had' on the cheap because they loved him? seriously? .... Why do you ignore anything to do with the last eighteen months? We all know that he did what he did in Germany and Spain but that was a lifetime ago ... as I've admitted over and over five years ago for us he was fantastic, but it's been all downhill ever since, and now he's bang average at best .. what am I missing?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zenith » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:48 pm

Power n Glory wrote:This is funny.

Sums up this thread.

At around 44' Lee claims Özil won German POTY 5 times out of 6 only because Özil/Arsenal fans voted for him.

I mean this applies to all German supserstar players and particularly the ones that play for the Rekordmeister who have an enormous fan base themselves.

DT also corrects him by pointing out that 2 out of the 5 times he won it he wasn't even an Arsenal player.

Talk about grasping at straws.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Zenith wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:This is funny.

Sums up this thread.

At around 44' Lee claims Özil won German POTY 5 times out of 6 only because Özil/Arsenal fans voted for him.

I mean this applies to all German supserstar players and particularly the ones that play for the Rekordmeister who have an enormous fan base themselves.

DT also corrects him by pointing out that 2 out of the 5 times he won it he wasn't even an Arsenal player.

Talk about grasping at straws.

Are we counting awards? Because I remember the World Player of the Year award/Balon d'or being dismissed when I brought up the fact that Ozil has never featured in the top 10 for the award. Those voting are captains, coaches and journalists from around the world.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Chris Sharma » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:45 pm

EliteKiller wrote:Opinions are always subjective ... to me Costa was one of the last great natural talents ... I was in Mexico in '70 long time ago ... remember when Bonetti was announced for the Germany game played OK until that mistake ...

You were in Mexico 1970?

Wow hats off ! You saw the semifinal Italy - Germany?
Chris Sharma
Michael Thomas

Postby Jedi » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:06 pm

"We scored three goals as a result of him playing"

I don't know about that one, but it sure seems like the rest of the team wants Emery to play him.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:09 pm

That has to piss Xhaka off!
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:10 pm

Chris Sharma wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:Opinions are always subjective ... to me Costa was one of the last great natural talents ... I was in Mexico in '70 long time ago ... remember when Bonetti was announced for the Germany game played OK until that mistake ...

You were in Mexico 1970?

Wow hats off ! You saw the semifinal Italy - Germany?

Actually I did, was hoping to see England play but we lost to the Germans the week before ... I've been fortunate enough to attend all the World Cups on a work basis right up until I retired, sadly I've missed the last two but I'm hoping to get to Quatar as a guest (fingers crossed) we will see.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:32 pm

Love this guy. Plays and we score 3
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:40 pm

Going to stick up for Ozil after tonight, he was obviously played as the centre of three midfield players with Mkhi on one side Iwobi on the other, and pretty much for 90 minutes there he stayed, nothing spectacular, second most passes second best pass success, but a pretty solid game. He was rewarded for doing his job by seeing out the full 90 minutes allowing Torreira and Suarez to come on for a run.

If Ozil can maintain this discipline then why not, despite what others claim he does not do enough to be a modern day AM that requires him to score 10+ goals a season and he will never do that. However he showed last night, albeit against a pub side, that he can play the disciplined role Emery so obviously wants.

Give him a run on Sunday (if he's not ill) playing in the same position, let's see if he can do the job against slightly better opposition.
Last edited by EliteKiller on Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:43 pm

Ach wrote:Love this guy. Plays and we score 3

When he didn't play we scored 6 .... but you didn't need to bring that up .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:01 am

Ozil has to play simple as that.

Its not even the win, its the fact that our attack is fluent when he's on, fact is Emery may not like the fact that Ozil isn't combative as lets say Ramsey ............ but if your not fkin playing Ramsey on principle of trying to build the team without him then you HAVE to play Ozil.

Because if you don't who else is there?

Trying to push the team forward built on average grafters is not working and hasn't been working.

Unless you buy a replacement or play Ramsey every game then he starts, no if's, no buts.

This team's only success can come from LMAO which has been reduced because of Mkhi's form down to AOL, you take one of that away and we're down from 4 to 2 of our top players = we're fked.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:21 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Ozil has to play simple as that.

Its not even the win, its the fact that our attack is fluent when he's on, fact is Emery may not like the fact that Ozil isn't combative as lets say Ramsey ............ but if your not fkin playing Ramsey on principle of trying to build the team without him then you HAVE to play Ozil.

Trying to push the team forward built on average grafters is not working and hasn't been working.

Unless you buy a replacement or play Ramsey every game then he starts, no if's, no buts.

This team's only success can come from LMAO which has been reduced because of Mkhi's form down to AOL, you take one of that away and we're down from 4 to 2 of our top players = we're fked.

You have four players who will score you more goals than Ozil ... Auba, Lacca, Mkhi, Iwobi ... so if we play 4-3-3 or 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1 then it's hard enough to get three of those attacking four on the pitch without trying to squeeze Ozil into an attacking role.

If you want to play Ozil then he has to slot in behind the attack and not as part of it ... isn't that his strength anyway creating from behind? Last night he played that central role well, sure he favoured the left but for the vast majority of the game he sat between the half-way line and their penalty area making himself available and playing short passes pretty much all night ... he still managed 3 KP's but so did three other players, it wasn't all Ozil. That made us look a far better balanced side.

Sure it was Bate a bunch of pubbers, but still you could see the clear plan. Ozil needs to be a team player, that's not to say he isn't one, what that means is he needs to put some of his instincts to one side and play the role for the team that Emery wants.

To pretend that in Lacca - Auba - Mkhi we have 'average grafters' going forward? Then why did we pay 132m for those three, there is no way Ozil will do a better attacking job than them (and Emery clearly sees Iwobi as a goal scorer as well) so if he wants to start he has to sit in behind.

People complain that they can't see what Emery is trying to do, well it's feckin' obvious, he wants Ozil to play in the centre alongside Xhaka, Torreira, Guendouzi, he wants him to be the disciplined distributor ... he wants him to be Luca bloody Modric and why not?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:20 am

EliteKiller wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Ozil has to play simple as that.

You have four players who will score you more goals than Ozil ... Auba, Lacca, Mkhi, Iwobi ... so if we play 4-3-3 or 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1 then it's hard enough to get three of those attacking four on the pitch without trying to squeeze Ozil into an attacking role.

If you want to play Ozil then he has to slot in behind the attack and not as part of it ... isn't that his strength anyway creating from behind? Last night he played that central role well, sure he favoured the left but for the vast majority of the game he sat between the half-way line and their penalty area making himself available and playing short passes pretty much all night ... he still managed 3 KP's but so did three other players, it wasn't all Ozil. That made us look a far better balanced side.

Sure it was Bate a bunch of pubbers, but still you could see the clear plan. Ozil needs to be a team player, that's not to say he isn't one, what that means is he needs to put some of his instincts to one side and play the role for the team that Emery wants.

To pretend that in Lacca - Auba - Mkhi we have 'average grafters' going forward? Then why did we pay 132m for those three, there is no way Ozil will do a better attacking job than them (and Emery clearly sees Iwobi as a goal scorer as well) so if he wants to start he has to sit in behind.

People complain that they can't see what Emery is trying to do, well it's feckin' obvious, he wants Ozil to play in the centre alongside Xhaka, Torreira, Guendouzi, he wants him to be the disciplined distributor ... he wants him to be Luca bloody Modric and why not?

Your post is all over the place because you've misunderstood what I said.

First Emery doesn't want Ozil to be the disciplined distributor (because that's exactly what he's always been as a master passer) he wants him to be Ramsey, combative, forward thinking / running and willing to track back, that's why he hasn't been picking Ozil, Emery feels Ozil slows play with his pass, pass, pass and you could see that today when he kept waving everyone forward as soon as we got the ball back, Emery wants face paced breaks.

Second, wtf is this ..........

EliteKiller wrote:To pretend that in Lacca - Auba - Mkhi we have 'average grafters' going forward? Then why did we pay 132m for those three, there is no way Ozil will do a better attacking job than them (and Emery clearly sees Iwobi as a goal scorer as well) so if he wants to start he has to sit in behind.

.............. and this?

EliteKiller wrote:You have four players who will score you more goals than Ozil ... Auba, Lacca, Mkhi, Iwobi ... so if we play 4-3-3 or 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1 then it's hard enough to get three of those attacking four on the pitch without trying to squeeze Ozil into an attacking role.

Do I need to quote myself where I said LMAO or AOL was all this team has to be successful? where does that equate to your accusation that I think their "average grafters"?
What I said was (I don't appreciate having to repeat myself tbf) is that he hasn't been picking Ozil or Ramsey and instead is trying to build the team off average grafters ......... e.g Iwobi, Xhaka, AMN etc I certainly wasn't referring to Laca or Auba.

Also your "score more goals than Ozil" really? how many goals has Mikhi scored, or Iwobi? Ozil's not even been on the pitch, he can score as many as either of those two especially when he makes forward runs.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club