The Wizard of Özil

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Mesut Özil (10)

Postby Nuggets » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:27 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Instead of people taking the opportunity to shit on Ozil as usual why not be positive and think perhaps Willian will bring out the best in Ozil.

People prefer to be absolute pricks, that IS clear.

What in hairstyles it won't be football and teamwork cos Ozil only cares about Ozil.

And you talk a lot of shit, like you know what Ozil cares about. Learn to think for yourself and stop being a simpleton. Its one thing to criticise Ozil, its entirely another to talk like you know how he thinks.

Now now Hotlips play nice no need to get abusive slipping back to your old ways.

Now now, careful. I think we can all see you are trying to get a rise.
Passionate as he is, at least Hothead is not a weasel.
That might be the case but he is still an abusive childish person on times so it's ok for your Ozil chum to call people whatever but it's not ok for people to react. mmmm bit onesided that :naughty:

If you admit that your posts are trying to get a rise, then don't cry when you're called out and have to take some abuse for it.

What I meant is he is not a weasel.. anyway WTF has it got to do with you why are you dipping your oar in bored are you go an play somewhere else.

Because I want to. If you are going to try and get a rise from someone on a forum, expect a response.
if you don't like the responses - I suggest you sit down and shut up.

Like I said earlier go play somewhere else WTF are you the caped crusader :rofll:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Nuggets » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:31 pm

Ach wrote:Ffs goonerz is gone.

Can we pay our respects please?

Where is he gone?
Nuggets

Postby Angelito » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:34 pm

Power n Glory wrote:I wouldn't say he's done it all. I would have thought a Champions League title and at least another major league title would be desirable. It's just the one La Liga title with Madrid he's won.

That's a reverse way of looking at it, which happens all too many times in entertainment and sporting professions.

We tend to analyze those professions as modes of entertainment, as fans. But for players and entertainers, it's their profession, their food basket.

Winning one league title is massive in itself, imagine winning multiple titles and trophies and starring in those teams along the way. The expectation is unrealistically higher on sports personalities, actors, filmmakers, etc. But the best that we see, or those at the top of their profession, are the 1% of the absolute cream of the crop. They're absolutely the best in their fields.

How many people can claim that they've been part of that elite 1% or 5% in their profession? A handful people.

Sitting on the desk, or using postpartum analysis like pundits and the media do, makes the gravity of it all go away. A lot of times it's like a fantastical analysis based on a tunnel vision. Only when you put it into context, does the sheer magnitude of an achievement start to make sense.

Now, think of the context and analyze the magnitude of Ozil having the 4th most number of assists in the game's history since these stats were recorded. That's the best of the best. For a surgeon, who'd have the same success ratio in complex surgeries, they'd be treated like Gods on earth.

For someone who's won the league, multiple cups, and the grand daddy of them all—the World Cup—such a person falls in an exclusive league featuring the who's who of the game.

In the grand scheme, it doesn't matter how many leagues or UCLs you win. Those are for statisticians, and for the pundits and the media to carve a narrative for.

Wes Brown has won 5 PL titles. In contrast, Wrighty has 1 League title. A basic look would suggest that Brown had a more successful career. But did he? I wouldn't say so.

There are few players in the history of the game that have won it all. Members of the Spanish golden generation, the likes of Ronaldinho, Pirlo, del Pieiro, etc., Not many.

Messi and Ronaldo haven't won the World Cup. Ronaldo never won the Champions League. Bergkamp and Batistuta never won the World Cup or the UCL.

The nature of beast is such that people think winning these trophies is as clear-cut as counting them on your hand.

Success is relative. When players retire and look back at their careers, they look at their achievements in hindsight. That's why legendary achievements trumps the number of trophies won. A World Cup, the Invincibles, Treble winners, etc., have a far bigger influence on the game and the legacy of a player than winning x number of league trophies.

Ultimately, it's about legacy. And Ian Wright's legacy is much more richer than Wes Brown's legacy. Likewise, individuals don't win trophies. Teams do. Certain individuals are bigger than the team: Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona, or Pele. But how many of them are there?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:34 pm

Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Instead of people taking the opportunity to shit on Ozil as usual why not be positive and think perhaps Willian will bring out the best in Ozil.

What in hairstyles it won't be football and teamwork cos Ozil only cares about Ozil.

And you talk a lot of shit, like you know what Ozil cares about. Learn to think for yourself and stop being a simpleton. Its one thing to criticise Ozil, its entirely another to talk like you know how he thinks.

Now now Hotlips play nice no need to get abusive slipping back to your old ways.

That might be the case but he is still an abusive childish person on times so it's ok for your Ozil chum to call people whatever but it's not ok for people to react. mmmm bit onesided that :naughty:

If you admit that your posts are trying to get a rise, then don't cry when you're called out and have to take some abuse for it.

What I meant is he is not a weasel.. anyway WTF has it got to do with you why are you dipping your oar in bored are you go an play somewhere else.

Because I want to. If you are going to try and get a rise from someone on a forum, expect a response.

Like I said earlier go play somewhere else WTF are you the caped crusader :rofll:

It's a forum, fella. Don;t want to be challenged ?- you know what to do.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Nuggets » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:47 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Nuggets wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Nuggets wrote:

It's a forum, fella. Don;t want to be challenged ?- you know what to do.

Like I just told you go play somewhere else or I will
Nuggets

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:16 pm

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:I wouldn't say he's done it all. I would have thought a Champions League title and at least another major league title would be desirable. It's just the one La Liga title with Madrid he's won.

That's a reverse way of looking at it, which happens all too many times in entertainment and sporting professions.

We tend to analyze those professions as modes of entertainment, as fans. But for players and entertainers, it's their profession, their food basket.

Winning one league title is massive in itself, imagine winning multiple titles and trophies and starring in those teams along the way. The expectation is unrealistically higher on sports personalities, actors, filmmakers, etc. But the best that we see, or those at the top of their profession, are the 1% of the absolute cream of the crop. They're absolutely the best in their fields.

How many people can claim that they've been part of that elite 1% or 5% in their profession? A handful people.

Sitting on the desk, or using postpartum analysis like pundits and the media do, makes the gravity of it all go away. A lot of times it's like a fantastical analysis based on a tunnel vision. Only when you put it into context, does the sheer magnitude of an achievement start to make sense.

Now, think of the context and analyze the magnitude of Ozil having the 4th most number of assists in the game's history since these stats were recorded. That's the best of the best. For a surgeon, who'd have the same success ratio in complex surgeries, they'd be treated like Gods on earth.

For someone who's won the league, multiple cups, and the grand daddy of them all—the World Cup—such a person falls in an exclusive league featuring the who's who of the game.

In the grand scheme, it doesn't matter how many leagues or UCLs you win. Those are for statisticians, and for the pundits and the media to carve a narrative for.

Wes Brown has won 5 PL titles. In contrast, Wrighty has 1 League title. A basic look would suggest that Brown had a more successful career. But did he? I wouldn't say so.

There are few players in the history of the game that have won it all. Members of the Spanish golden generation, the likes of Ronaldinho, Pirlo, del Pieiro, etc., Not many.

Messi and Ronaldo haven't won the World Cup. Ronaldo never won the Champions League. Bergkamp and Batistuta never won the World Cup or the UCL.

The nature of beast is such that people think winning these trophies is as clear-cut as counting them on your hand.

Success is relative. When players retire and look back at their careers, they look at their achievements in hindsight. That's why legendary achievements trumps the number of trophies won. A World Cup, the Invincibles, Treble winners, etc., have a far bigger influence on the game and the legacy of a player than winning x number of league trophies.

Ultimately, it's about legacy. And Ian Wright's legacy is much more richer than Wes Brown's legacy. Likewise, individuals don't win trophies. Teams do. Certain individuals are bigger than the team: Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona, or Pele. But how many of them are there?

As a fan, I'm not criticising Ozil's trophy count and achievements. As you point out, it's a rare achievement.

I don't want to make this too deep or complex, I simply look at the players Ozil often gets compared to when speaking of World Class players.

From what we're aware of, he's still fit with no long term injury issues and relatively young. He's not even 32 yet and has missed a lot of football in recent years and looks no closer to getting regular first team football. I look at Henry in comparison. He was a World Cup winner, a European Cup winner, and Ligue 1 winner at a young age. Although he won Prem titles and FA Cups with Arsenal he was still pushing himself for more and didn't tap out because he already had a glowing CV. He pushed for that CL title with Barca, learned a new system and pushed his body further despite the age and when his career at Barca was over, despite not being at the highest level, he still kept playing and moved to New York.

It was the same for Cesc. Another player that had a glowing CV at a pretty young age. At the very least, the desire to play football was still there even if not for a top club.

With Ozil, I simply can't understand the wasted years not playing football. Essentially, it sounds like your saying because he's won the highest accolade the desire to prove something has gone. Maybe that's the thing coaches see or believe about him, hence why he's not getting picked?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:23 pm

^
The premise of your argument is a fallacy.
There is nothing to suggest that Ozil does not want to play or is not fighting for his place in the team in order to help us win trophies.

Here is another way of tlooking at it.
Henry LEFT us
Fabregas LEFT us.

Ozil has said he wants to stay with us.

Perhaps we should be a little more impressed by a player who wants to stay and fight for his place , vs players that made their names with us and then buggered off because they didn't think they could win anything more with us.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Callum » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:33 pm

Henry and Fabregas left us when they were more in demand, and they went to a more competitive, successful club. I'm sure they both enjoyed pay rises as well.

Ozil's "loyalty" extends to no decent club wanting to go near him because he's paid a fortune despite him being worth a fraction of that. It's his right to stay and earn that money, but this idea that he's here because he's so loyal to Arsenal is a joke.

Also, jayram, I find it funny that you criticized Aubameyang for his greed in wanting as big a salary as possible, but when Ozil did the exact same thing it's more a case of his loyalty to the club? How does that work? :think:
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:53 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:.

As a fan, I'm not criticising Ozil's trophy count and achievements. As you point out, it's a rare achievement.

I don't want to make this too deep or complex, I simply look at the players Ozil often gets compared to when speaking of World Class players.

From what we're aware of, he's still fit with no long term injury issues and relatively young. He's not even 32 yet and has missed a lot of football in recent years and looks no closer to getting regular first team football. I look at Henry in comparison. He was a World Cup winner, a European Cup winner, and Ligue 1 winner at a young age. Although he won Prem titles and FA Cups with Arsenal he was still pushing himself for more and didn't tap out because he already had a glowing CV. He pushed for that CL title with Barca, learned a new system and pushed his body further despite the age and when his career at Barca was over, despite not being at the highest level, he still kept playing and moved to New York.

It was the same for Cesc. Another player that had a glowing CV at a pretty young age. At the very least, the desire to play football was still there even if not for a top club.

With Ozil, I simply can't understand the wasted years not playing football. Essentially, it sounds like your saying because he's won the highest accolade the desire to prove something has gone. Maybe that's the thing coaches see or believe about him, hence why he's not getting picked?

Like I said, he's seeing the same thing everyone else is. He is just choosing to reframe it in a way that protects his image of Ozil as an all-time great, instead of a once-great player who was happy to let his career and legacy stagnate in a way almost no other legend would have allowed theirs to.

Hence the constant references to what Ozil has accomplished with other teams years ago, despite him spending his peak footballing years at Arsenal.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:51 pm

aniym wrote:Like I said, he's seeing the same thing everyone else is. He is just choosing to reframe it in a way that protects his image of Ozil as an all-time great, instead of a once-great player who was happy to let his career and legacy stagnate in a way almost no other legend would have allowed theirs to.

Hence the constant references to what Ozil has accomplished with other teams years ago, despite him spending his peak footballing years at Arsenal.

Have to agree and especially on that point on allowing his legacy to stagnate. It's just something I haven't seen many other legends do.

Also, agree with Callum's point about Ozil staying for the love of the club. I just don't believe it because he knows his Arsenal career is on the line and he'll be leaving at the end of his contract unless he proves himself to the coach. But even if that were possible, he won't be offered a new contract.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:23 pm

What legacy stagnate?? People that acknowledge Ozil's achievements and generally his fans will do nothing of the sort, its only those that don't like him that will insist that his legacy is tainted or whatever.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:25 pm

Nuggets wrote:
Ach wrote:Ffs goonerz is gone.

Can we pay our respects please?

Where is he gone?

Banned till December
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:23 am

theHotHead wrote:What legacy stagnate?? People that acknowledge Ozil's achievements and generally his fans will do nothing of the sort, its only those that don't like him that will insist that his legacy is tainted or whatever.

Ozil's legacy will be his purple patch during his mid-twenties - six years 2009/10 to 2015/616 - even Ozil 'haters' can't deny he was one of the world's best during that period. Why the term stagnate? Well compare Ozil with the true modern legends Ronaldo and Messi each with over 15 seasons at the very top table, each still playing in every game well into their thirties .... that's the difference between being a 'legend' and having a decent 'legacy' ....

Arsenal "legends" are few, they are the guys who put in over 500 appearances, or the guys who banged in over 150 goals ... players who played in every game they could until they no longer wore The Arsenal shirt - does Ozil even come close to reaching that status?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Nuggets » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:03 am

Callum wrote:Henry and Fabregas left us when they were more in demand, and they went to a more competitive, successful club. I'm sure they both enjoyed pay rises as well.

Ozil's "loyalty" extends to no decent club wanting to go near him because he's paid a fortune despite him being worth a fraction of that. It's his right to stay and earn that money, but this idea that he's here because he's so loyal to Arsenal is a joke.

Also, jayram, I find it funny that you criticized Aubameyang for his greed in wanting as big a salary as possible, but when Ozil did the exact same thing it's more a case of his loyalty to the club? How does that work? :think:

Food for thought indeed. :clap:
Nuggets

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:43 am

Callum wrote:Henry and Fabregas left us when they were more in demand, and they went to a more competitive, successful club. I'm sure they both enjoyed pay rises as well.

I don't recall Ozil going on strike to force a move away from his club. That is the reason I question Auba's character.
Let's also remember that Auba wanted to leave (not stay), but his Barca and Chelsea dreams did not materialise. With Ozil he had options in 2018, including Man Utd, but chose to stay. Auba is staying because he couldn't get the move he wanted.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club